Star Trek Discovery

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Online now: Bing (sucks), juice
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
DEyncourt posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
Question; What is available on All Access that is not available over the air, besides STD ?

There is an official "After Trek" discussion series and a ton of past shows, but there appears to be only The Good Fight which takes up the story of some of the key though peripheral characters from The Good Wife.

So basically; Nothin' ...

:worriedfrown:
user Stupid cockwomble
DukeofNuke posted:
Hmmm ...

is Kodi on Roku?

Certainly not on APPLE TV.
DukeofNuke posted:
DEyncourt posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
Question; What is available on All Access that is not available over the air, besides STD ?

There is an official "After Trek" discussion series and a ton of past shows, but there appears to be only The Good Fight which takes up the story of some of the key though peripheral characters from The Good Wife.

So basically; Nothin' ...

:worriedfrown:

Yeah, but you can bet that the powers-that-be will be using Discovery to argue for and against adding more NEW shows to CBS All Access.

So ¿yay? if Discovery is a success which probably will make CBS All Access-only shows MORE common.
DEyncourt posted:
user posted:
DEyncourt posted:
user posted:
DEyncourt posted:
user posted:
DEyncourt posted:
user posted:
Doubt it'll be worth an extra $6 a month to see it. I hate this trend of networks hosting their own streaming services. It'll just dilute the market.

At the CBS.com site there are three options for the CBS All Access app:

1) free but commercial-filled. Presumably this will act like most such apps/programs that I have encountered and these commercials cannot be skipped over in any way. AND it appears that this free version MUST be re-downloaded every month because at the end of the free month you will have to select between the options below.

2) $5.99/month OR $59.99/year for "limited commercials". Also presumably like the above in that these commercials likewise cannot be skipped, but instead of a set of commercials per break there will be only one commercial per break perhaps for an episode or a series sponsor.

3) $9.99/month OR $99.99/year for commercial-free (of course dependent upon CBS' idea of whatever THAT means because they are likely to show promotions for other CBS programs since these are considered NOT "commercials" [most TV networks actually use this definition]).

I only see the last two options. I'd love an on-demand commercials version, but the only thing free is the trial.

So they aren't even showing it on broadcast?

Nope. What you saw is the only broadcast you will see unless CBS changes its mind.

Like I wrote: it appears that free version will also depend upon on how diligent CBS will be in recording who had previously downloaded their All Access app. It may be that they will not care realizing that all viewers of the free version will be forced to go through (though not necessarily WATCH) the commercials, or that they may take the attitude of "sorry, not for YOU" if you download the app another time. I do not know, not having "experienced" their app yet.
Oh, I see, you were acting like that was an official option with your post structure.

No, they most certainly keep up with how often you apply through the free app. There's no way to game the system there without using a different ISP/VPN. A limited option at most.

Sure, it should be easy for CBS to keep those records but it also would be rather counterproductive. Let's say that I for one viewer try out their app then decide that it wasn't worth upgrading to either paid version. But isn't as if CBS isn't bringing out completely new programming all the time as shows fail so maybe even the very next month there is something ELSE that attracts me: are they really going to say "not for YOU"?
I know, I know, this calls on TV programming people to act sensibly too. :shrug:

No no no

They know when you've taken advantage of the free week and they WILL block you successfully if you try again.

Sure but that is purely the thinking for a TV programming executive.

How about the producers for that NEW and DIFFERENT show that had just been released? Wouldn't they want to get their chance to attract an audience except for having that exec with such veto power?

This thought just occured to me:

Suppose that that TV exec sees that a LOT of people sign up for a free month in late March 2017 as I suggested earlier, so -I- think he WILL think:

1) CBS will put in a moratorium on people signing up for the free version of All Access for about a month forward: "Hah! That will get 'em!"

"But, sir, but what about MY program? Just recently I signed up with All Access to give it exclusive rights and you ARE punishing me for the success of "Discovery"!

"Shuddup."

AND/OR

2) Such late bingers will get to episode 14 which ends with a special announcement: "Wanna see the season finale? Sign up now under these plans to watch!"

Of course it would never occur to that TV exec that he is essentially asking people to pay $60 or $100 for JUST ONE episode: "Those moochers deserve that."
ukimalefu Wasn't me
You know a show is good when you're disappointed because the episode ended. :D
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
How many episodes in the season?
I'm gonna wait until they've all aired, then take my free week and binge it.
DukeofNuke posted:

15 altogether, but they will be showing each of the episodes on a weekly basis with 8 from the end of Sept. 2017 through Dec. 2017, then 7 from late Jan. 2018 through March 2018.

It is a "free" MONTH, not a week.

I suspect that the last episode will be a 2-hour-long season-ender.
user Stupid cockwomble
DukeofNuke posted:

Sounds like a plan.
TOS
... and renewed for a second season
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I guess somebody must be watching it.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Metacell posted:

May be, but I'm not going to sign up for a $10/mo subscription for a single show. I can wait until it gets released on physical media.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
TOS posted:
... and renewed for a second season

:D
macnuke Afar
maurvir posted:
Metacell posted:

May be, but I'm not going to sign up for a $10/mo subscription for a single show. I can wait until it gets released on physical media.

Kodi

it's free.
MS supports it on the Xbox or your Windows
Ive been streaming that one and a few others i wanted to watch.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
user Stupid cockwomble
macnuke posted:
maurvir posted:
Metacell posted:

Kodi

it's free.
MS supports it on the Xbox or your Windows
Ive been streaming that one and a few others i wanted to watch.

I really don't get how you are supposed to do that with Kodi. I have it for Mac and it only seems to want to show me files that I already have on my HD.
ukimalefu Wasn't me

never interrupt a klingon learning her lines
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Mark your starfleet calendars, because next episode is in January...

jkahless Custom Title
ukimalefu posted:
Mark your starfleet calendars, because next episode is in January...

Tits.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
TOS posted:
please don't suck
please don't suck
please don't suck
please don't suck
please don't suck
please don't suck
please don't suck
please don't suck

Aw, crap!

I'm watching it, but not loving it. Why is the technology in a pre-Kirk Federation years ahead of anything we saw on TOS? Why is everything so dark, both in subject matter and color pallet? Where is the exploration of the human condition that was the hallmark of Star Trek for most of its 50 years? Why do all the scenes with Klingons have to be in Klingonese? I think we're smart enough to assume they are speaking their language without it being force-fed to us (plus I feel sorry for the actors who have to basically spout gibberish with a mouthful of fake teeth, but with feeling).

So I'm hoping it gets better, but I'm not really holding my breath.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Pithecanthropus posted:
TOS posted:
please don't suck
please don't suck
please don't suck
please don't suck
please don't suck
please don't suck
please don't suck
please don't suck

Aw, crap!

I'm watching it, but not loving it. Why is the technology in a pre-Kirk Federation years ahead of anything we saw on TOS? Why is everything so dark, both in subject matter and color pallet? Where is the exploration of the human condition that was the hallmark of Star Trek for most of its 50 years? Why do all the scenes with Klingons have to be in Klingonese? I think we're smart enough to assume they are speaking their language without it being force-fed to us (plus I feel sorry for the actors who have to basically spout gibberish with a mouthful of fake teeth, but with feeling).

So I'm hoping it gets better, but I'm not really holding my breath.

It's not your old star trek

It's not JJ Abrams trek

It's something else, mostly because the owners of tv rights are different than the owners of movie rights..., it's a mess. It maybe even more complicated than that, I don't knoe everything.

-
ok

Tech: now they have more budget and more technology to do things.

There was one thing, a main plot thing I won't mention to avoid spoilers, that I didn't like. It was not easy to suspend my disbelief, but I did, and enjoyed the rest.

-Everything is dark?

Dark and gritty is what all the cool kids are doing. An dark trek is something I wanted, but I was hoping for a series set in the future, far after DS9 and Voyager or whatever was later in time, not the past. Still not complaining.

exploration of the human condition?

There's plenty of that, what are you talking about?

Why do all the scenes with Klingons have to be in Klingonese?

That only happens when it's klingons talking to klingons. I really liked that choice the director and/or producers made. Qapla' !

I am really liking it and looking forward to see more.

-

Now, if you want more of your old Trek, this is really good. Seriously, really, really good:

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html
dv
When you watch old WWII movies from the '50s, it's surprising how much un-subtitled German there is.
They say "human waste" and "fiddlesticks"

Some of the designs remind me of Lexx.
TOS
currently on episode 4 and loving it

the actress playing michael is awesome and the klingons are just great
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Star Trek Discovery returns today and the episode is directed by Jonathan Frakes

https://io9.gizmodo.com/watch-jonathan- ... 1821810149
jkahless Custom Title
Well that was unexpected.
TOS
they seem to be jamming three seasons of stories into one season

i mean wow, that ship is on one hell of an eventful mission
"Lorca" is just the sort of name Star Trek writers would give to an evil recurring character.
Great stars it's a boring show!

Usually a show like this will run up through a year or so of story material before delving into the character's psyches, fears, vulnerabilities, secrets and insecurities, often because they are short on plot and need filler.
Unwatchable; Star-Dreck.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

rest assured if the show was unpopular he'd think it was a hidden gem
TOS
so what did we think of the finale?

i liked it a whole bunch

though it was funny to see downtown toronto as federation headquarters
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I stopped watching STD awhile back. I am sure I will revisit it in the future when I can watch it on Netfliz but I have to say they kinda lost me with the whole spore-drive, spinning starship thing.
A fungal deep space network, eh? Sigh. :(
TOS
admittedly that was fairly silly, and i'm quite surprised they didn't show it being abandoned in order to keep it canon
Space fungus was the best part.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
So, was that, like, season one? Did it end on a cliffhanger to be continued next season?
Maybe I'll watch it now and cancel when it's done. I'm not signing up for another streaming service just to watch one show, Star Trek or not.
TOS
yes, it was season one ... i'm not sure if i'd call the ending a cliffhanger, more of a way of connecting to the original series

originally they said that each season would occur at different points along the star trek timeline, but not sure if they'll do that

although they've kind of hinted that season two will be the uss enterprise under christopher pike but with spock on board
Pariah Know Your Enemy
If Video DownloadHelper starts working again I can get caught up. :(
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
So back in May 2017 I started rewatching DS9. And I just finished the last episode. I have watched every one of the 176 episodes in order.

So I guess I may take a look at Discovery now.
jkahless Custom Title
TOS posted:
admittedly that was fairly silly, and i'm quite surprised they didn't show it being abandoned in order to keep it canon

They did mention quickly that starfleet was giving up on it until they could find an alternative to a generically altered human pilot.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Star Trek Discovery

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5