Star Trek Discovery

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Online now: gd
dv
jkahless posted:
TOS posted:
admittedly that was fairly silly, and i'm quite surprised they didn't show it being abandoned in order to keep it canon

They did mention quickly that starfleet was giving up on it until they could find an alternative to a generically altered human pilot.

You'd think that would have been a showstopper from the beginning.

"Hey, I have an idea for a new warp drive, but we'll need to violate the Augment laws."
"Denied."
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I got a kick out of seeing Tig Notaro pop up in s2ep1.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Ok...sorry this is kinda far afield. I’m watching a rerun of Boston Law at the moment. I suppose the particular episode doesn’t really matter for my purposes. Which is - to note that Shatner as Denny Crane is a stroke of sheer genius. He’s great in that role.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Discovery discussion. Thank you.
user Stupid cockwomble
Shatner grew into acting well after his signature role.
I am pretty sure that a significant amount of story is being poured into a reasonable explanation of why the spire drive doesn’t exist in the tos timeline.

in the last few episodes, there is a subplot that involves Tilly being possessed and then abducted by a being from the mycelial network. In theblat st episode, it is revealed that Stamits accidentally pulled the dying Dr Culber into the network with him, where he still exists and is poisoning the network from within. They then manage to rescue both Tilly and Culber. I suspect that the spore drive is going to be completely decommissioned to avoid furth incursions and damage to the network, and thus explain why they didn’t use the tech later on.

I also think the whole debate over the differences in look are a little silly. I doubt you could effectively make a Trek series that looked lower tech then TOS that people would actually watch. Remember, a significant portion of the look of TOS (at least colour wise) had more to do with having to produce effects that people with black and white televisions could appreciate than it did for the technology of the time.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Warin posted:
I am pretty sure that a significant amount of story is being poured into a reasonable explanation of why the spire drive doesn’t exist in the tos timeline.

in the last few episodes, there is a subplot that involves Tilly being possessed and then abducted by a being from the mycelial network. In theblat st episode, it is revealed that Stamits accidentally pulled the dying Dr Culber into the network with him, where he still exists and is poisoning the network from within. They then manage to rescue both Tilly and Culber. I suspect that the spore drive is going to be completely decommissioned to avoid furth incursions and damage to the network, and thus explain why they didn’t use the tech later on.

I also think the whole debate over the differences in look are a little silly. I doubt you could effectively make a Trek series that looked lower tech then TOS that people would actually watch. Remember, a significant portion of the look of TOS (at least colour wise) had more to do with having to produce effects that people with black and white televisions could appreciate than it did for the technology of the time.

Yep, I don't think I saw TOS in color till the 80's. My parents were rocking an old B/W TV well into the 70s and idn't finally get a color set till after I moved out.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
They could so easily dispense with this issue by just stop making prequels and reboots.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?

That was a pleasant surprise, but Tilly is still my favorite.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
iDaemon posted:

Not available for me...

or so they think, brb

yeah, cool video
jkahless Custom Title
Bueno. Looking forward to next season.

Also, I’ve heard there’s a petition going around to make a Pike prequel. CBS has taken notice and Mr Mount is interested.
TOS
amazon has purchased the streaming rights for the planned picard series ... so maybe there will be trek on prime?
The main reason I'm against premium Star Trek is because it's supposed to be for everybody, and thus represents major fail of humanity.
jkahless Custom Title
Metacell posted:
The main reason I'm against premium Star Trek is because it's supposed to be for everybody, and thus represents major fail of humanity.

If you're going to be that strict about it, Star Trek has always been a major fail. It was always for those wealthy enough to pay for luxuries like entertainment. Roddenberry sure wasn't above cashing in, remember the IDIC was invented specifically to be sold, and he wrote wasteful lyrics to the theme to get a writing credit and royalties.
I don't consider entertainment a luxury...I consider restaurant symphonies to be luxuries!

Also, Star Trek was bigger than Roddenberry...flawed people still have good ideas.
macnuke Afar
Metacell posted:
I don't consider entertainment a luxury...I consider restaurant symphonies to be luxuries!

Also, Star Trek was bigger than Roddenberry...flawed people still have good ideas.

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Star Trek Discovery

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5