The new Vinyl

Online now: Aaron_R, chikie, maurvir, Ribtor
I'm liking the new vinyl pressings I've been getting. They seem thicker than the stuff from the 80s and 70s.

Starboy (The Weeknd), Singles (Future Island), Moon Safari (Air) and even A Charlie Brown Christmas (Vince Guaraldi Trio) seem to be made to the standard that the so called premium audiophile pressings were done with back in the day. In fact I'd say even better.

I think it's because if the producers want this format to revive they have to at least give a human waste.

Last edited by Ribtor on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:00 pm.

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I would sorta judge people by the way they handled their records.
First would be a single disc manual turntable vs an automatic with a stack spindle.
Carefully handling the disc by the edges and replacing it in the cover every time, vs records scattered around the floor, mismatched records in the wrong covers.

These days, the people who care enough to take care of their investment are the only ones who will be buying vinyl. The people who would have tossed them around will download instead.

I wish I could justify a decent turntable.
juice Inadvertently correct
DukeofNuke posted:
I would sorta judge people by the way they handled their records.
First would be a single disc manual turntable vs an automatic with a stack spindle.
Carefully handling the disc by the edges and replacing it in the cover every time, vs records scattered around the floor, mismatched records in the wrong covers.

These days, the people who care enough to take care of their investment are the only ones who will be buying vinyl. The people who would have tossed them around will download instead.

I wish I could justify a decent turntable.

I did the same thing with compact discs.
ukimalefu Pondering
DukeofNuke posted:
Carefully handling the disc by the edges and replacing it in the cover every time

That would be me, and I still have all my albums even if I have nothing to play them on.

But even if some people may prefer it, vinyl is just NOT better than digital. Physics don't allow vinyl to give you 20hz to 20Khz frequency response and 90 db signal to noise ration.

The problem with most popular digital music is that it's just mastered wrong, for the sake of loudness.

I loved the experience of getting a music album, carefully opening it, smelling it (oh yeah) placing the record on the turntable and listening to it while admiring the art and reading the notes. I guess I could, one day, in a fit of nostalgia, I could get a record player. But I don't need it. I have wasteful earphones anyway, so with 320kbps mp3s and a sound enhancing itunes plugin, I'm more than happy.
TOS
i do miss the lp era, i must admit

but every time i think about starting a new vinyl collection i remember the description i heard of it: "twice the hassle for twice the price"

pretty much all the music i want i've already got digitaly and i can stream it to the stereo or throw it onto a portable device

i remember well the annoyances of vinyl, such as having to take extra extra good care of the albums, flipping them over, having to listen to songs you're less interested in because skipping over them is a pain

might be nice to have in a summer cottage if i had one, where the point is to chill ... but if i'm trying to get some work done, i just don't see it

plus those damn records aren't cheap
I play vinyl at my shop because it goes with the whole film/analogue thing.
Yori Program
You can't skin up on an MP3.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Ribtor posted:

Does your staff wear tie-dyed t-shirts and hot pants, the scent of sandalwood incense wafting through the air?
DukeofNuke posted:
Ribtor posted:

Does your staff wear tie-dyed t-shirts and hot pants, the scent of sandalwood incense wafting through the air?

One wears tie-dyed shirts. In fact she's wearing one right now.
trntbl.gif trntbl.gif
837.22 KiB - Viewed 132 time(s)

I mostly listen to music through my iPod in the car. But the only music worth paying for often is vinyl, imo. There are still great bargains and neat discoveries to be had in collecting the older stuff, and the new releases often give you a digital download for free along with the collectible possession that has cool stuff going on like special colors and stuff.

An interesting psychological phenomena is the way that background noise often improves perception when given with minimal information. Like, visually, you can have an image with just a minimal amount of correctly colored and randomly located dots which make comprehension difficult to make out, but filling in the blank areas with random white noise (like old tv static) makes the image more easily identified. It works similarly with acoustic noise. Everyone who owned the vinyl could hear the coughing on a beach boys record, but it had to be remastered before you could easily make it out on the digital versions, not just because sample rates weren't as good early on, but less noise lowered the threshold of the background and gave a different sonic landscape which made it less audible.
user Stupid cockwomble
My vinyl collection doubled while I was working at the used bookstore.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I would buy a record, then record it to 8-Track to use in the car and save wear on the vinyl
user Stupid cockwomble
I used cassettes.
Donkey Butter jerk face
I bought a record player and some records just to listen to Christmas music during the holiday. There is just something magical about a record playing music through a pair of B&W tower speakers that are nearly 40 years old. :)
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Both my wife and I kept all of our old vinyl, and have picked up other peoples collections over the years.
I got a fairly decent turntable for my birthday two years ago.

Most of the times we use it is to play oddball novelty records and stuff that probably belonged to my father in law. "Music to Suffer By" is one we always play for guests. My kids love "My Son, the Folk Singer" by Allan Sherman.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
TOS posted:
i do miss the lp era, i must admit

What I miss most is the graphics and artwork.
The 12 inch format is just plain better/more flexible for art.
The 4.5 inch size for a CD cover almost invariably meant that the designer had to go with just headshot or an image so simple it may as well be a logo. Sure there are some great graphics on CDs, but they just don't have any ability to get detailed.

The other thing great about it was the time limitation. 35-45 minutes for a single LP was enough time for artists to put down a group of songs, but usually made it so they couldn't put too much filler in there.
One thing I remember when CDs became the standard was that artists thought they HAD to use up the additional 20+ minutes a CD will allow.
The materialist in me appreciates the return to tangibility.
user Stupid cockwomble
It's much harder to clean out seeds on a CD case.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I have "Thick as a Brick" in the original newspaper cover.
user Stupid cockwomble
I had to make do with the Chysalis re-release. Someone did give me a slightly grimy copy of the cover years later.
TOS
you know what i'd love ... is to be able to create my own vinyl

i looked it up online, and the vast majority are volume producers or very expensive boutique pressers
TOS posted:
you know what i'd love ... is to be able to create my own vinyl

i looked it up online, and the vast majority are volume producers or very expensive boutique pressers

The machinery used is the same machinery from when vinyl was the only medium for recorded music. There is a LOT less of it working today and there haven't been any plans to make any new ones until just last year, two new brands started selling presses (warm tone and newbilt). Every step of making a record bottlenecks because it's labor intensive. At some plants the back order lists have gotten very long, and unfortunately for smaller labels, the resurgence of vinyl has gotten the major labels to repress releases and they pay out extra money to keep cutting in front of the lines.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
user posted:
It's much harder to clean out seeds on a CD case.

I stole a tray from the cafeteria.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The new Vinyl