any smashing pumpkins fans out there?

Online now: Google [Bot]
TOS
apparently they're going to reunite

that is to say the original lineup, not the strange frankenstenish i-own-the-band-name nonsense billy corgan's been playing aroun with

me, i loved them back in the day and thought that all the individuals were at their best in that band ... but that's just me
juice Inadvertently correct
His voice has always grated on me.
TOS
oh ... well, never mind then
juice Inadvertently correct
Sorry to poop on your thread.

Carry on.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I thought one of them had died.
obvs There. I said it.
I very much liked the original band before Billy Corgan lost his damn mind. Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness was I think the third CD album I ever bought.
Metacell Branch Dravidian
I frickin' love Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie. After that they seemed to fade. I'd still like to see them.
maurvir Perfectly balanced - mostly
Toss me in for those two albums as well. Those were great albums, but they really hit the wall after those.

Still, they had a unique sound I haven't really heard since.
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
I thought one of them had died.

the drummer was in a fatal overdose incident with a friend, but the drummer survived

they kicked him out of the band (their album "adore" makes heavy use of drum machines) but eventually they brought him back

though later the band essentially split up again and billy corgan became a weird, hyper-eccentric douchebag
I loved Gish and Siamese Dream. I have all sorts of bootlegs from that era of them, rare and live stuff (much of which has been released officially by now). Mellon Collie is good too.

And I've always hated, hated, hated his voice. In some ways it was cool live because he'd just get as ugly as he could, just like, wow, he doesn't even care, and you know, I listen to tons of people who just scream in the mic like that. But, its also borderline unlistenable at times. And I say this as a fan.

But, I also am not about to get my hopes up. I remember getting excited to see Zwan play with Queens of the Stone Age and Turbonegro, like half the QOTSA tour was opened by Turbonegro and the second half was going to be Zwan, and this show was like the break point and all three bands were supposed to play, only to find out that Corgan had gotten upset that Turbonegro was on the bill too and got them kicked off the show, which bummed me out, and then played one of the most boring sets I have ever had to sit through in my life. Dude has the hugest ego and his music has been rather crappy since Mellon Collie (although that Hole record wasn't so bad). I'm thinking the necessary ingredient to getting them to gel wasn't any band member but might have been Butch Vig.
TOS
he always was the biggest a-hole on the planet
ukimalefu Pondering
TOS posted:
he always was the biggest a-hole on the planet

a lot of people think that about a lot of artists

I don't know if he was or not. Smashing Pumpkins was ok.
user Stupid cockwomble
I could never get past that stupid name.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

any smashing pumpkins fans out there?