Rating the truth in recent "based on a true story" movies

Online now: Google [Bot]
Source.

A few examples:

Goes from:
white = "We couldn’t verify it or the sources were secret (i.e. personal diaries)"
dark red = "Out and out didn’t happen, or outrageous dramatic license taken."
pink = "Pretty false but with reasonable / understandable dramatic license."
light blue = "Some tweaks but true in spirit. Or a mix of true and false."
dark blue = "Pretty much as it happened."
juice Inadvertently correct
I love that website name.
TOS
with american sniper, are they referring to how true it as to the bullcrap in his book, or how true it was to the actual truth?
ukimalefu Pondering
They should include how much the balance of "truth" and fiction relates to how many people saw the movie.

And I wish it included more movies. I saw a documentary about the Apollo 13 and I'd say the movie was very high on the truth rating. But I'd bet more people would like to see the movie than the documentary.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
TOS posted:
with american sniper, are they referring to how true it as to the bullcrap in his book, or how true it was to the actual truth?

I read somewhere that he didn't actually do a lot of what he was given credit for. I once tried to find any articles pertaining to his career and this book/movie but i couldn't find any impartial articles and gave up pretty quickly.
maurvir Perfectly balanced - mostly
justine posted:
TOS posted:

I read somewhere that he didn't actually do a lot of what he was given credit for. I once tried to find any articles pertaining to his career and this book/movie but i couldn't find any impartial articles and gave up pretty quickly.

Don't worry, the actual truth will be declassified in 40-45 years or so. If you are still alive then, and give a damn, you can look it up. I personally don't give a damn now, and I doubt that will change in the future.
TOS
justine posted:
TOS posted:

you remember correctly

no one has pushed the story too hard because he's so well loved, but it does look like he made up a ton of stuff

once enough time has passed i'm fairly sure there will be lots of exposes about it, but for now everyone just wants to let it lie
TOS posted:
justine posted:
TOS posted:

you remember correctly

no one has pushed the story too hard because he's so well loved, but it does look like he made up a ton of stuff

once enough time has passed i'm fairly sure there will be lots of exposes about it, but for now everyone just wants to let it lie

I heard all this stuff before seeing, and because of that, i have no real interest in seeing it now.
Metacell Branch Dravidian
Whose truth? Which truth? The teller's truth? The actor's? The director's?
TOS
justine posted:
TOS posted:
justine posted:
TOS posted:

you remember correctly

I heard all this stuff before seeing, and because of that, i have no real interest in seeing it now.

even if the storie are all true i don't think most of them should be celebrated

for instance setting up a sniper position atop the superdome after hurricane katrina and killing looters ...

oh never mind, the whole thing is just ugly
user Stupid cockwomble
Captain Hank (whatever what his name is).
user posted:
Captain Hank (whatever what his name is).

Captain Phillips or Sully? Captain Phillips wasn't the nice guy Hanks portrayed him to be. Lots of old emplyees etc came forward after that came out.
user Stupid cockwomble
Tom Hanks didn't play Sully. Phillips is probably it. I've gotten to the point where I would never watch a film based on a thin contemporary event.
Separate entertainment from information, and there's no problem.

The melding of entertainment with news and other documentary forms is the problem, not fiction itself.

I enjoyed Argo and The Right Stuff and Amadeus, for example. These types of films may stimulate curiosity. These three examples prompted me to read and research the books, plays and reports from each subject. I learned a great deal about Salieri's relationship with Mozart from biographical sources, as well as the Austro-Hungarian Empire in general. Not only did I read Tom Wolf, but the biographies of a few of the major players in the early space race. I re-visited the events of 1979 in Iran, and am currently re-reading Carol Jerome's book on Sadegh Ghotbzadeh.
user posted:
Tom Hanks didn't play Sully. Phillips is probably it.

He played both men.
user Stupid cockwomble
Really? I thought that was Bolton.
hell of a movie
brace brace brace, heads down, stay down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKEXxO2KNE
dv
I'd like to see a list like that for War Dogs.
user Stupid cockwomble
Hanks is America's hero.
Metacell Branch Dravidian
Nothing he's done has been as good as Bosom Buddies.
user posted:
Hanks is America's hero.

He's our generation's James Stewart.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Rating the truth in recent "based on a true story" movies