So why didn't this happen in the Star Wars universe?

Online now: Google [Bot], ukimalefu
I have not seen "Rogue One" so I do not know how well this might fit with THAT movie.

-----

The time is within a year before "A New Hope."

Emperor Palpatine is slumbering in his private chambers when he abruptly awakens. "The Force?" he exclaims with some surprise. Reaching for his intercom he shouts, "Get me Va...ah, you're here," as Darth Vader enters.

"Yes, Sire. I have sensed it too."

"Very powerful BUT very unformed. Raw, almost deliciously so," the Emperor mumbles. Again he shouts into his intercom, "Get me a list of all the ships which have entered local space over the past 5 minutes! Including the PRECISE time of their arrivals!" He looks at a clock and notes the time.

"Yes, sir, right away", a voice answers. In few minutes a servant knocks on the door, then announces in a trembling voice when allowed to enter: "Your list, sir. Are there any additional orders?"

"No, go away," the Emperor grumbles as the servant quickly vacates. Reading over the list, he points at one entry then shouts into his intercom: "Get me a list of all the passengers and crew aboard the royal yacht from Alderaan.

After considering this new list for a minute, the Emperor says, "Vader, check the crew and this Princess Leia Organa--she's new to the Senate. I have met everyone else aboard...although I'm sure that you WILL know who I want."

"Yes, Sire."

-----

Of course the above didn't happen because when we were first introduced to the Star Wars universe no one--aside from George Lucas AND maybe PROBABLY not even him at the time--had any clear idea of the mechanics of The Force.

But this--and MANY other complications involving The Force--should have happened.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Maybe you should see Rogue One.
juice Inadvertently correct
DEyn, why didn't you write the dialog for the prequels?
juice Inadvertently correct
Also, you should see Rogue One.
In Rogue One is there some sort of hand-waving explanation that without training from the Jedi or the Emperor (for the dark side) that one's Force is sufficiently "diffuse" that it can escape notice and/or cannot be (easily?) detected over distance?

That could explain how Leia avoided becoming involved with the Emperor in my prequel sketch above, but how about Obi-Wan Kenobi aboard the Millennium Falcon in "A New Hope"? Shouldn't he and Vader sensed each other immediately when the Millennium Falcon used hyperdrive into (the late) Alderaan space?

Perhaps Kenobi was still using some sort of diffusion techinique in order to avoid anyone from spotting him while living on Tatooine, but shouldn't he have immediately spotted Vader aboard the Death Star? Of course that would have alerted Kenobi so that he could have warned Han Solo to not get near the Death Star so the Millennium Falcon could have gotten away and they would not have been able to rescue Leia along with R2D2 and thus ending the story, but it could have happened.

Or maybe that diffusion technique works both ways so while Kenobi was using it he could not detect Vader? I would accept that.

If distance is at least part of that explanation, then recall that Vader and Leia were in the same hallway or room aboard the Death Star in "A New Hope" and in the floating city near the end of "The Empire Strikes Back".

Even with these attempts to explain such problems, the REAL problem is that The Force is just one more thing that conveniently varies upon the necessities of the plot.
TOS
plot holes? in my star wars? it's more likely than you think
Alternatively,

Star Destroyer operator: "Lord Vader, the long range midoclorian detector shows activity on Tatooine."
macnuke Afar
OR....

Hey Vader.. you remember that girl you knocked up back when you had all of your legs ?
dv
macnuke posted:
OR....

Hey Vader.. you remember that girl you knocked up back -

FTFY.
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
dv posted:
macnuke posted:
OR....

Hey Vader.. you remember that girl you knocked up back -

FTFY.

:lol:
macnuke Afar
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

So why didn't this happen in the Star Wars universe?