new star trek tv show in the works

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Online now: Google [Bot]
Metacell Branch Dravidian
DEyncourt posted:
Ribtor posted:
I found the most tolerable to be 'Enterprise' and I think another attempt at origin stories could be fun.

Ugh. I thought that the over-arcing time-traveler story in "Enterprise" was a waste of time and it completely lost me.

The show had a great premise and cast. The writers couldn't stop writing for TNG and Voyager. The formula for simpler frontier adventure was just beyond them and they couldn't get out of franchise mode.
ukimalefu Pondering
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Metacell posted:
DEyncourt posted:
Ribtor posted:
I found the most tolerable to be 'Enterprise' and I think another attempt at origin stories could be fun.

Ugh. I thought that the over-arcing time-traveler story in "Enterprise" was a waste of time and it completely lost me.

The show had a great premise and cast. The writers couldn't stop writing for TNG and Voyager. The formula for simpler frontier adventure was just beyond them and they couldn't get out of franchise mode.

I agree but Ent got the look and feel of the technology dead on. Far better than any other Trek.
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
TOS posted:
... i mean just imagine the people of today suddenly gaining the ability to colonize distant solar systems, it would be a frigging nightmare, and think of the relevant stories and allegories that could be told

I'd like to see the episode where the crew rediscovers planet Rand, which at one point had been a settlement of people who all decided to "Go Galt" together.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
Pariah posted:
Mustapha Mond posted:
One thing that I think old school fans have a legit complaint about is that the new Trek isn't "Trek" because it lacks the thoughtful (and often moral) core that made up much of the original series and which then followed Picard into Next Generation. I think there's an audience for thoughtful Sci-Fi, but my bet is that any new Trek series will be more like Hawaii Five-O in Trek clothing. (Not that I don't like a good action show. I just don't want that from Star Trek.)

A thing I hate about the recent Trek movies is that the interior of the new Enterprise makes no stick fiddling sense at all. The vast voids spanned by cat walks, giant tanks that make parts of it look like a big brewery or something, the absurdly bright and glaring lighting.
Ugh.

The reason for this is that it was shot in a big brewery.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Geesie posted:
Pariah posted:
Mustapha Mond posted:
One thing that I think old school fans have a legit complaint about is that the new Trek isn't "Trek" because it lacks the thoughtful (and often moral) core that made up much of the original series and which then followed Picard into Next Generation. I think there's an audience for thoughtful Sci-Fi, but my bet is that any new Trek series will be more like Hawaii Five-O in Trek clothing. (Not that I don't like a good action show. I just don't want that from Star Trek.)

A thing I hate about the recent Trek movies is that the interior of the new Enterprise makes no stick fiddling sense at all. The vast voids spanned by cat walks, giant tanks that make parts of it look like a big brewery or something, the absurdly bright and glaring lighting.
Ugh.

fer realz?
Pariah posted:
Geesie posted:
Pariah posted:
Mustapha Mond posted:

Ugh.

fer realz?

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Budweiser_Brewery

Yup. Reading that was the final step in the decision to not see that movie.
TOS
Geesie posted:
Pariah posted:
Geesie posted:
Pariah posted:
Mustapha Mond posted:

Ugh.

fer realz?

lol

man that's one fact i'd have been better off not knowing
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Geesie posted:
Pariah posted:
Geesie posted:
Pariah posted:
Mustapha Mond posted:

Ugh.

fer realz?

Oh for fucks sake.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Huh. I figured you all knew this. The Budweiser name drop in the bar in the first movie was the trade off for using that set.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
The whole bit was hard to swallow.
maurvir Perfectly balanced - mostly
DukeofNuke posted:
The whole bit was hard to swallow.

:roll: :squint:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
This new Trek will likely set records for most torrented TV show. Releasing a show that appeals to a more tech centric audience on a very limited basis is just begging for piracy run rampant.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Pariah posted:
This new Trek will likely set records for most torrented TV show. Releasing a show that appeals to a more tech centric audience on a very limited basis is just begging for piracy run rampant.

I agree; hopefully that doesn't mean it fails miserably.
ukimalefu Pondering
mmaverick posted:
Pariah posted:

I believe the most torrented tv show is Game of Thrones. And it's doing just fine.
ukimalefu posted:
mmaverick posted:
Pariah posted:

I believe the most torrented tv show is Game of Thrones. And it's doing just fine.

Sure, but GoT is not being broadcasted on commercial TV stations.
TOS
DEyncourt posted:
ukimalefu posted:
mmaverick posted:
Pariah posted:

neither will the star trek series (apart from the premiere) -- it's going to be digital only
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
DEyncourt posted:
ukimalefu posted:
mmaverick posted:
Pariah posted:

neither will the star trek series (apart from the premiere) -- it's going to be digital only

There is a rather HUGE difference between a show on a very successful and well established premium channel with tens of millions of subscribers, like HBO and a brand new premium channel that has subscribers in the hundreds.
TOS
whoah! they just announced that nicholas meyer is coming on board to work on the new series

he directed wrath of khan and co-wrote the one with the whales

all this suggests to me that it's going to be in the original pre-abrams star trek universe
TOS posted:
whoah! they just announced that nicholas meyer is coming on board to work on the new series

all this suggests to me that it's going to be in the original pre-abrams star trek universe

He also directed VI, which in my opinion is the second best after Khan.
jkahless Custom Title
Geesie posted:
TOS posted:

He also directed VI, which in my opinion is the second best after Khan.

You are correct, on both counts.

Cry havoc, and let slip the hogs of war!
TOS
meyer quoted in the media

Quote:
I think it’s going to be a different Star Trek. It will go in a different direction. And I think that is probably good. Because the thing that mainly troubles me about Star Trek is the fear of it being maybe re-treads of itself. And to the degree that I had any influence on the thing [Star Trek] at all was that at least while I was there, we were fooling around. And if you’re not fooling around, then things can become stale. And I think that Bryan [Fuller]—who is a very clever fellow—has ideas—some of which I’ve heard—that are innovative and different. Different is what got me interested.

not sure what the hell that means in practical terms
TOS posted:
meyer quoted in the media

Quote:
I think it’s going to be a different Star Trek. It will go in a different direction. And I think that is probably good. Because the thing that mainly troubles me about Star Trek is the fear of it being maybe re-treads of itself. And to the degree that I had any influence on the thing [Star Trek] at all was that at least while I was there, we were fooling around. And if you’re not fooling around, then things can become stale. And I think that Bryan [Fuller]—who is a very clever fellow—has ideas—some of which I’ve heard—that are innovative and different. Different is what got me interested.

not sure what the hell that means in practical terms

It usually means it's going to suck, the way most reboots do.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
"Our next album is a lot darker than our other albums, I definitely think it's our heaviest album yet."
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I want more Andorians.
Metacell Branch Dravidian
The Andorians featuring Jeffrrey Combs, Reanimator, was the best part of Enterprise.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Metacell posted:
The Andorians featuring Jeffrrey Combs, Reanimator, was the best part of Enterprise.

I agree.
The Andorians are a species I would like to see much more of.
chikie The same deviled egg
Jeffrey Combs also was one of the best character actors they had in Star Trek. Killed it as Weyoun, killed it as Shran.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
loved the way his antenna wiggled
chikie posted:
Jeffrey Combs also was one of the best character actors they had in Star Trek. Killed it as Weyoun, killed it as Shran.

Totally. He isn't on TV enough.
He was also great as Question in Justice League.
TOS
loved him as weyoun

they had some great character actors in that show
I always liked when they were using the same actor for different parts by dressing him/her up as various aliens.
user Stupid cockwomble
Really funny hearing Ethan Phillips' (Voyager: Neelix) voice coming out of a Ferengi's mouth in the TNG episode when they were first encountered.
obvs There. I said it.
I remember thinking so too, one night when I was sitting there with nothing to do when that old episode of TNG came on.
TOS
update to report on some interesting rumors

1. it's apparently set in the original universe and not the jj abrams verse

2. the first season will open in the time between the end of star trek vi: the undiscovered country and star trek: the next generation

3. reportedly there will be some klingon villans

4. perhaps most interestingly, it's going to carry a seasonal story arc; each season will take place along a different point in the star trek timeline

very very interesting stuff, no?
Potentially interesting.
Geesie posted:
Potentially interesting.

This. Though I suspect it would be wise to maintain very low expectations...
chikie The same deviled egg
Apparently, CBS only holds the rights to the star trek original continuity, while paramount owns the rights to the JJ-verse. They'd need a new agreement with Paramount if they'd want to make a show set in the JJ-verse.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I will keep an open mind but history makes me keep low expectations.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

new star trek tv show in the works

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5