What TV series are you currently watching?

Music and video: analog or digital
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39384
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

britannia

romans invade britain

not bad, bit peculiar (they emphasize the various pagain religions)
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
StaticAge
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:29 pm

Post by StaticAge »

TOS wrote: britannia

romans invade britain

not bad, bit peculiar (they emphasize the various pagain religions)

Looks interesting.
Remember we're a minority and every one of us counts.
User avatar
jkahless
Posts: 6414
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:09 pm
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

Black Lightning. Rather enjoying it so far, particularly it's depiction of fatherhood. There's really not enough positive depictions of fatherhood or (coparenting for that matter) in media.
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33303
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

Travelers
Finished season 2 yesterday, and it's holding up nicely.
Created by Brad Wright, S2 introduces Amanda Tapping as a major character, so if you're having Stargate SG-1 withdrawal this might help.
Looking forward to season 3.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
dv
Posts: 30680
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Post by dv »

Started on Stan Against Evil. Pretty funny.

Some weird anachronisms. Not sure what time period they're trying to set it in.
Image
User avatar
Ribtor
Posts: 9363
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by Ribtor »

Season 2 of Grace and Frankie improved on the first season. I thought the episodes dealing with Alzheimer's and assisted suicide were well done. Sam Elliott is looking old. The show's producers are not making efforts to soft focus the ages of the cast. I think the scenes between Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston are still the weakest but Fonda and Tomlin are even better than in season 1. The supporting cast is quite good but they are mostly there to provide lighter moments. I like the balance.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
User avatar
Robert B.
Posts: 3913
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:56 pm
Title: Dandy Highwayman
Location: Wherever I go, there I am.

Post by Robert B. »

The Frankenstein Chronicles
"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39384
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

the looming tower

two episodes in so far, pretty great ... it tells the story of mistakes and infighting that kept the intel community from stopping 9/11

so far i'd say it's well worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgsdAUKIICo
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
DEyncourt
Posts: 17395
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:38 am

Post by DEyncourt »

Hey, could I ask a favor AGAIN?

When you mention a title, could you add WHERE you are viewing this series, e.g., "Stranger Things 2 (Netflix)"?

Given the current fractionation of the TV market into various but SEPARATE companies, it isn't necessarily obvious where a series may be available. Sure, it may be obvious to YOU since you have, say, a Netflix account but this will not be so to anyone without such. It would be also useful for a program like, say, "Black Sails" to add "(Starz)" so that anyone with access to just standard cable services would know that it could be seen without having to buy separate services like Netflix.
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33303
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

if I see a title I don't recognize, I just google it.

but Ok. Travelers is on Netflix.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44196
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

DukeofNuke wrote: if I see a title I don't recognize, I just google it.

but Ok. Travelers is on Netflix.


I do the same

and travelers is cool :up:
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39384
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

i will never state the network, do you hear me? never!!!
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

if i haven't heard of it i assume netflix
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
User avatar
Pariah
Posts: 22751
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

The Rift (Netflix)
Sub SyFy Original quality, absolutely terrible, intrusive music, wooden acting, baffling plot basically a collection of worn out Horror-Sci clichés.
A complete waste of time: AVOID.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
User avatar
Ribtor
Posts: 9363
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by Ribtor »

DEyncourt wrote: Hey, could I ask a favor AGAIN?


Grace and Frankie is on Netflix, or in my case, Emule.

Wings: Great Planes (Dicovery Channel or Emule) 90s shows detailing a particular noteworthy aircraft type or model. Lameness depends on presentation; There's some obviously geared to boys in their mid teens and some, like Wings Of The Red Star which can be overly detailed on occasion. Some are Australian productions with anachronistic synthesizer music. The best ones tell larger stories than just the aircraft in question. It's a way to spend 43 spare minutes.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
User avatar
macnuke
Posts: 6140
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:32 am
Title: PureBleed
Location: Here

Post by macnuke »

TOS wrote: i will never state the network, do you hear me? never!!!


The last time the network was mentioned, the president dropped a nuke on Canada :p

There are no illegitimate children...only illegitimate parents.

User avatar
dv
Posts: 30680
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Post by dv »

Prolly gonna binge Jessica Jones season 2 this weekend.
Image
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39384
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

ghost wars, netflix

fairly silly but it passes the time
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33303
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

dv wrote: Prolly gonna binge Jessica Jones season 2 this weekend.

I was gonna do that too, but I've ended up babysitting. Maybe next weekend.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
dv
Posts: 30680
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Post by dv »

Jessica Jones was good, although slow the first couple episodes. (They started a bunch of subplots and spent too much time w/ secondary characters who will probably crop up in other series.)

Altered Carbon was nucking futz.
Image
User avatar
jkahless
Posts: 6414
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:09 pm
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

Started watching Mr D now that it's on Netflix. I've seen the creator and star do stand up at his alma mater, and being a former teacher, his material on the subject was hilarious. The show is an exaggeration of his teaching career. Imagine an incompetent heel of a teacher who usually acts out their cynical impulsive desires. The first episode was a little flat and slow, but by episode four it's really started to come together. It's almost revenge porn for teachers.

https://youtu.be/0fn_vAhu_Lw
User avatar
dv
Posts: 30680
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Post by dv »

jkahless wrote: Started watching Mr D now that it's on Netflix. I've seen the creator and star do stand up at his alma mater, and being a former teacher, his material on the subject was hilarious. The show is an exaggeration of his teaching career. Imagine an incompetent heel of a teacher who usually acts out their cynical impulsive desires. The first episode was a little flat and slow, but by episode four it's really started to come together. It's almost revenge porn for teachers.

https://youtu.be/0fn_vAhu_Lw


My mom had the same thought about The Substitute.
Image
User avatar
Pariah
Posts: 22751
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

Ribtor wrote:
DEyncourt wrote: Hey, could I ask a favor AGAIN?


Grace and Frankie is on Netflix, or in my case, Emule.

Wings: Great Planes (Dicovery Channel or Emule) 90s shows detailing a particular noteworthy aircraft type or model. Lameness depends on presentation; There's some obviously geared to boys in their mid teens and some, like Wings Of The Red Star which can be overly detailed on occasion. Some are Australian productions with anachronistic synthesizer music. The best ones tell larger stories than just the aircraft in question. It's a way to spend 43 spare minutes.

wow, Emule is a name I have not seen in years
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44196
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Pariah wrote:
wow, Emule is a name I have not seen in years


Image
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39384
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

finally started watching black mirror

holy crap is it ever amazing ... a worthy successor to twilight zone
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16700
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

I've been watching a lot of 1 or 2 season shows, like Emergency Rescue Down under, Emergency (canada), and Curious And Unusual Deaths. The first and last shows have actually been really informative. Like the deaths one. Not only do they talk about strange and unusual deaths, but why they occurred in the first place. And the rescue one goes into a lot of info about Oz, like how they heavily recruit british doctors, nurses and police.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
User avatar
Pariah
Posts: 22751
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

jkahless wrote: Started watching Mr D now that it's on Netflix. I've seen the creator and star do stand up at his alma mater, and being a former teacher, his material on the subject was hilarious. The show is an exaggeration of his teaching career. Imagine an incompetent heel of a teacher who usually acts out their cynical impulsive desires. The first episode was a little flat and slow, but by episode four it's really started to come together. It's almost revenge porn for teachers.

https://youtu.be/0fn_vAhu_Lw

Mr. D is not showing on Netflix for me. :(
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
User avatar
jkahless
Posts: 6414
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:09 pm
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

Sorry, I'm on Canadian Netflix eh. That's the problem with listing sources, they change by county and over time.
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44196
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Black Lightning

:up:
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11130
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Post by Metacell »

Sweet Guan-Yin have mercy, X-Files finally outdid flukeman and Home.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33303
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

ukimalefu wrote: Black Lightning

:up:

IS that another CW/DC joint?
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
Warin
Posts: 7024
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:34 pm

Post by Warin »

DukeofNuke wrote:
ukimalefu wrote: Black Lightning

:up:

IS that another CW/DC joint?

Yeah. And it is really damn good. They need to fire all the DC movie folks and replace them with the DC tv folks. It is like the Zac Snyder coalition doesn’t understand what makes Superheroes tick, and you get human waste like BvS, where the TV department gets it and produces some great stuff.
I'm sorry Dave...
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33303
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

Gotham is pretty good. When does it's new season start?
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39384
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

Warin wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:
ukimalefu wrote: Black Lightning

:up:

IS that another CW/DC joint?

Yeah. And it is really damn good. They need to fire all the DC movie folks and replace them with the DC tv folks. It is like the Zac Snyder coalition doesn’t understand what makes Superheroes tick, and you get human waste like BvS, where the TV department gets it and produces some great stuff.


i feel like they just felt the need to go darker than marvel and forgot about the part where a good script is required to make a good movie
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
StaticAge
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:29 pm

Post by StaticAge »

Counterpart on Starz. Really cool so far if you like spies and sci fi.
Remember we're a minority and every one of us counts.
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16700
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

They've added Dax Sheppard to The Ranch. :/
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
User avatar
Donkey Butter
Posts: 1655
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:15 am
Title: jerk face
Location: over yonder

Post by Donkey Butter »

Offspring (netflix) I find it quite entertaining.
User avatar
Robert B.
Posts: 3913
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:56 pm
Title: Dandy Highwayman
Location: Wherever I go, there I am.

Post by Robert B. »

Absentia. On episode seven and it's pretty interesting, but I really doubt serial killer conspirators are really this clever.
"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6905
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Post by Séamas »

Currently watching Wild Wild Country on Netflix
It's a six part docu-series (I have watched 2/6).
I am sure there is more to be revealed and there will be a twist/turning point.
The subject is the Cult following of Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and their purchase of several thousands of acres in rural Oregon in order to build a city.
But so far it is describing a significant culture clash, and while the Cult/Ashram is weird and all, it's just another weird religion, albeit with a VERY large bank account.


The cult members themselves seem like typical educated people of that time doing the typical "seeking" of eastern mysticism and following a charismatic guru.
The alarming thing for the townfolk is the open sexuality of the cult members and reports of bizarre practices (group aggression therapy undertaken while naked and other things).

The townfolk at this point of the documentary come off as fearful and fairly intolerant, and they make no efforts to hide their attempts to intimidate the freaky cult members. Reading ahead it seems things escalated quite severely with the cult members taking things several steps too far.
So far more me this documentary does expose a great deal of America's rather iffy devotion to religious freedom.

Since I have subscribed to Netflix several years ago I have caught a number of pretty good documentaries on various cults (most of them born out of the counter-culture new age group sex variety). They all have disturbing attributes, but you can easily see how many of our current religions started out--just with less group sex.
I would love to see more in-depth analysis of Scientology, LDS and perhaps Islam, as they each have similarities to these. (Christianity does as well for certain, but I think that analysis has been done to death)
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
StaticAge
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:29 pm

Post by StaticAge »

Séamas wrote: Currently watching Wild Wild Country on Netflix
It's a six part docu-series (I have watched 2/6).
I am sure there is more to be revealed and there will be a twist/turning point.
The subject is the Cult following of Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and their purchase of several thousands of acres in rural Oregon in order to build a city.
But so far it is describing a significant culture clash, and while the Cult/Ashram is weird and all, it's just another weird religion, albeit with a VERY large bank account.


The cult members themselves seem like typical educated people of that time doing the typical "seeking" of eastern mysticism and following a charismatic guru.
The alarming thing for the townfolk is the open sexuality of the cult members and reports of bizarre practices (group aggression therapy undertaken while naked and other things).

The townfolk at this point of the documentary come off as fearful and fairly intolerant, and they make no efforts to hide their attempts to intimidate the freaky cult members. Reading ahead it seems things escalated quite severely with the cult members taking things several steps too far.
So far more me this documentary does expose a great deal of America's rather iffy devotion to religious freedom.

Since I have subscribed to Netflix several years ago I have caught a number of pretty good documentaries on various cults (most of them born out of the counter-culture new age group sex variety). They all have disturbing attributes, but you can easily see how many of our current religions started out--just with less group sex.
I would love to see more in-depth analysis of Scientology, LDS and perhaps Islam, as they each have similarities to these. (Christianity does as well for certain, but I think that analysis has been done to death)

I have friends who became Buddhist monks and friends who are into Krishna consciousness but to me, Osho is like a combination of self help books, Ayn Rand, and almost a cliche of eastern mysticism. I was somewhat familiar with what happened out there and his religion. I never thought he was the crook they made him out to be, just a typical charlatan (although, I have heard his scholarly work on various ancient texts are supposed to be decent). It was mostly Sheela and other higher ups. But as close minded and typically conservative you’d imagine a bunch of old white hillbilly Christians, the smug elitism and self centered vindictive way the sunnyasins operated irritated me. They were all about themselves first, making money, etc, and free love and psychoanalytic gibberish. A feel good movement for young wealthy white people, ‘pat yourselves on the back, for your privilege means enlightenment’. The show made me wonder if that was how the people in Palestine felt when their living space was encroached upon by the Jews who moved there pre-Israel.
Remember we're a minority and every one of us counts.
Post Reply