What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 37
Online now: No visible users
Yori Program
Binge-watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares on Channel 4's on-demand service.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Yori posted:
Binge-watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares on Channel 4's on-demand service.

Is that like bloopers from one of his shows?
Yori Program
The American version was a bit naff, more about the conflict than the improvements. Too much drama!
I was pleasantly surprised with the first show of The Young Sheldon. I think the twin sister is going to steal the show. :)
user Stupid cockwomble
Inhumans

Why do I keep thinking, "you bastard!"?
Just finished the first episode of the new season 3 for Mr. Robot that kicked off earlier the week. What are your thoughts on the end game?

I think its some kind of time machine white rose has been working on
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Warin posted:
The American version was a bit naff, more about the conflict than the improvements. Too much drama!

I'd say half the episodes were shot on Long Island or in New Jersey.
Great locations for drama.
Mindhunter and Manhunt: Unabomber were both really good. Cant wait for season two of Mindhunter.
The Office, U.K. Sometimes I don't know where to look.

Scandal, season one and two. I know it's supposed to be a drama but it really is ridiculous. The sub-plots are trite and resolutions are basically put down to tech-magic by the weird ex spy character.

Broad City, season four. They're still funny as hell.
I started re-watching Ken Burns' Civil War.

I can't believe that it is 27 years old.
House of Cards has been cancelled today. So we never know if his wife gave him his pardon now.
dv
Aaron_R posted:
House of Cards has been cancelled today. So we never know if his wife gave him his pardon now.

The article I saw said there was still a season left to release - it's already been shot and stuff. (Season 6?)
It’s all been about Stranger Things here. We had off Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and we had yummy food and cooler weather with open windows and breezes and flannel and ciders and imperial pumpkin stouts and apple galette and vanilla gelato and pumpkin spice donuts with coffee and a bonfire and cookout and spaced out our viewing over the weekend. I tried not to get my hopes up for season 2, because the first season was pretty great, but, I’m telling you, season 2 is even better.
StaticAge posted:
It’s all been about Stranger Things here. We had off Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and we had yummy food and cooler weather with open windows and breezes and flannel and ciders and imperial pumpkin stouts and apple galette and vanilla gelato and pumpkin spice donuts with coffee and a bonfire and cookout and spaced out our viewing over the weekend. I tried not to get my hopes up for season 2, because the first season was pretty great, but, I’m telling you, season 2 is even better.

No Eggos?

I re-watched season 1 the week prior--this time my wife watched it too (or most of it).

I ended up binge-ing ST2 in 3 sittings.
I don't know if I would rate it as better than ST1, but I was VERY relieved that they didn't ruin it. Definitely good, and in places great.

We had terrible stormy weather on Sunday and I let my 10 year old daughter watch it (she was BEGGING to see it). She liked it (5 episodes so far) a lot and had no nightmares.

Overall both season-the whole thing's best attribute is the casting and character development.

They totally nail the junior high school kids. I thought all the HS kids were seniors in the first season. The idea that Nancy will be a senior next year doesn't seem right.
I think out of all the "damaged anti-hero" trope characters made, Hopper ranks close to the top. Totally likeable and largely believeable. I like how his "thing" is a good knockout punch to the face.

The '80s thing is done very well. I am the same age as the Jonathan and Steve characters, so I remember the time very well.
Only two details I think they got slightly wrong:
The bikes. Banana seat bikes are very '70s and very elementary school. Kids my age moved on to "10 speed" road bikes by 6th or 7th grade.
The middle school kids would have opted for either the 10 speed, or, BMX bikes. I am sure BMX caught on earlier on the west coast, but by where I lived it was something that was more popular with kids 3-4 years younger than me. Dustin has a BMX, I would think that middle class Jordan and Mike would have them too. Will would probably have his brother's hand me down.

The music--especially Jonathan's mix tapes were more like from some coastal Rolling Stone magazine curator than HS kids. Especially the nerds. Perhaps it was just my anecdotal experience, but the outcast science nerds were all about Rush.
Séamas posted:
No Eggos?
Wife made these blueberry pancakes she does, they are soooo good. Eggos, never my thing. I love that they are 11's, though.
Quote:
I re-watched season 1 the week prior--this time my wife watched it too (or most of it).
I ended up binge-ing ST2 in 3 sittings.
We did the exact same thing, watched S1 over the past week, then saw three episodes per day. We didnt watch one after the other, we did stuff in between to break up the bleh vibe we get if we stay on the couch all day.

Quote:
I don't know if I would rate it as better than ST1, but I was VERY relieved that they didn't ruin it. Definitely good, and in places great.
The first few episodes werent drag down knock out phenomenal, but they built up really great and kept the vibe from last season. But as it got rolling, it kept getting better and better, imo. Then again, I wasn't on drugs. I am not exactly sure if my reaction had anything to do with the fact that there was a weird hold up earlier in the month that caused me to go off my antidepressant meds about a week ago, and I only just got the prescription refilled yesterday, but, I was getting the zaps and everything, and I was getting really misty eyed at parts towards the end too, so maybe my emotions might have been like de-iced when I was watching it or something. Regardless, my verdict was, yeah, it was even better.

Quote:
We had terrible stormy weather on Sunday and I let my 10 year old daughter watch it (she was BEGGING to see it). She liked it (5 episodes so far) a lot and had no nightmares.

Overall both season-the whole thing's best attribute is the casting and character development.

They totally nail the junior high school kids. I thought all the HS kids were seniors in the first season. The idea that Nancy will be a senior next year doesn't seem right.
I think out of all the "damaged anti-hero" trope characters made, Hopper ranks close to the top. Totally likeable and largely believeable. I like how his "thing" is a good knockout punch to the face.

The '80s thing is done very well. I am the same age as the Jonathan and Steve characters, so I remember the time very well.
Only two details I think they got slightly wrong:
The bikes. Banana seat bikes are very '70s and very elementary school. Kids my age moved on to "10 speed" road bikes by 6th or 7th grade.
The middle school kids would have opted for either the 10 speed, or, BMX bikes. I am sure BMX caught on earlier on the west coast, but by where I lived it was something that was more popular with kids 3-4 years younger than me. Dustin has a BMX, I would think that middle class Jordan and Mike would have them too. Will would probably have his brother's hand me down.

The music--especially Jonathan's mix tapes were more like from some coastal Rolling Stone magazine curator than HS kids. Especially the nerds. Perhaps it was just my anecdotal experience, but the outcast science nerds were all about Rush.

Yeah, bingo on the Rush part (or Alan Parsons Project), but I think Jonathan is a good portrayal of the kind of kid who wasnt exactly punk but was outside the mainstream and liked stuff from Elvis Costello and the Replacements to New Order and Hüsker Dü. I mean, China Girl and Burning Down the House were regularly on the radio, it wouldn't be crazy for him to be into the Clash and Joy Division. And Will was only into that one song by the Clash because of the tape, and they all called it "that weird song". Now, what is crazy is that there's no Michael Jackson in this world. Obviously, royalties etc I am guessing were a factor too, but good grief, Michael Jackson and Duran Duran need to be on the radio more in 83-84. And did anyone else catch that Ill Repute song? Nardcore represent, I hope they got paid.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I got bored after a couple episodes of stranger things and binged on mindhunter instead. I like how the story is working up to BTK. Can’t wait for the next season.
Stranger Things 2 and Midnight Texas.
user Stupid cockwomble
Been watching Midnight also.

Started Good Behavior. Thought it was going to be a comedy but surprised to find it's a detailed drama. Unusual that it's set in NC, basically just down the road from me.
TOS
started stranger things 2

quite like it so far
Hey, could I ask a favor?

When you mention a title, could you add WHERE you are viewing this series, e.g., "Stranger Things 2 (Netflix)"?

Given the current fractionation of the TV market into various but SEPARATE companies, it isn't necessarily obvious where a series may be available. Sure, it may be obvious to YOU since you have, say, a Netflix account but this will not be so to anyone without such. It would be also useful for a program like, say, "Black Sails" to add "(Starz)" so that anyone with access to just standard cable services would know that it could be seen without having to buy separate services like Netflix.
The Orville (Fox) has been renewed for a second season.
DEyncourt posted:
The Orville (Fox) has been renewed for a second season.
not to worry like all good cult in the making comedy shows on fox it'll be cancelled soon enough for some lame drama series
DEyncourt posted:
Hey, could I ask a favor?

When you mention a title, could you add WHERE you are viewing this series, e.g., "Stranger Things 2 (Netflix)"?

Given the current fractionation of the TV market into various but SEPARATE companies, it isn't necessarily obvious where a series may be available. Sure, it may be obvious to YOU since you have, say, a Netflix account but this will not be so to anyone without such. It would be also useful for a program like, say, "Black Sails" to add "(Starz)" so that anyone with access to just standard cable services would know that it could be seen without having to buy separate services like Netflix.

No problem.

Midnight, Texas. NBC.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Hah!
Star Trek Discovery s1ep5.

Never thought I would hear that word in a Star Trek TV show.
Scandal, season 4 (Emule). Each season gets more outlandish and over the top than the previous. All the acting makes Shatner's 'Kirk' look subtle. The First Lady tramping around the White House in slippers and grey sweats is priceless. Cyrus, the Chief of Staff has been given a hair-piece with no explanation. Olivia's dad and Cyrus must be in a competition to see who can shake the most when they speechify (they never just talk). Using a power drill on people's kneecaps may be a bit much for the more squeamish viewer, though.
Highly recommended.
So i binged Stranger Things 2 on my iPod at work. Now i want to go back and watch both seasons all over again on my tv. Can't wait for the third one! :D
Yori Program
Mythbusters, season 15, episode 1: Heads Will Roll (Sci AKA The Science Channel, 2017).

This is the first episode for the NEW hosts--Brian Louden and Jonathan Lung--who were selected following the reality show of Mythbusters: the Search that Sci ran to find these new hosts (which I did not watch). The producers of the revamped program wisely kept Robert Lee as the narrator for the interstitial segments.

I liked Louden and Lung well enough. They split the on-screen talking more evenly since in the original version Adam Savage talked WAY more than Jamie Hyneman.

Their selection of "myths" to bust was OK:
1) could someone die by propping their feet/legs upon the cover of an airbag while in the passenger seat during a car crash? Answer: no. Either way they would suffer from very serious injuries that might eventually kill them by bleeding out, but those injuries in themselves would not kill that passenger.
and
2) how realistic have been those movie scenes where you see someone being decapitated by a sword but you see the victim "pause" seemingly whole before falling apart? Answer: not very.
Not exactly earthshattering but interesting enough.

BUT there was something missing. It took me a while but I think that what at least this first show was missing was the science. Sure, the science of the original Mythbusters was at times a bit sketchy but it was there and helped the narration for the overall stories.

The first of the above myths was basically straightforward and only required taking the test subjects--"syndavers" which are complicated human simulations with simulated bones and sinews and muscles and blood vessels upon which such dangerous tests could be performed--through their staged accidents, but I believe they did miss having a third and fourth test in which similar accidents were performed but WITHOUT airbags exploding, then comparing the resulting injuries of these with the other two that were performed. It just occurred to me that perhaps those segments were done but were left on the cutting-room floor as being not interesting enough.

I think the second of the above would have had both Savage and Hyneman expressing their doubts that even a "supersized" version--Louden and Lung set up a rocket-powered track which sped up their sword to 160 MPH, so a bit more than double the speed that they themselves were capable--could create that delayed reaction shot because in some of their test setups there were obvious problems dealing with momentum vs. inertia that almost entirely went unexplained or even commented upon.

I will continue to watch at least for a few more episode hoping that they might improve.
Back (2017) Channel 4 (Emule really) A six episode Britcom starring David Mitchell and Robert Webb. Lots of fun. Mitchell basically plays himself again and Webb plays his foster brother who shows up at the dad's funeral and insinuates himself in his foster family's life, much to his foster brother's dismay.
Series created by the same person involved in Veep, The Thick Of It and Peep Show.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
syndavers" which are complicated human simulations with simulated bones and sinews and muscles and blood vessels upon which such dangerous tests could be performed

Adam and Jamie would have used a hog carcass.
DukeofNuke posted:
Quote:
syndavers" which are complicated human simulations with simulated bones and sinews and muscles and blood vessels upon which such dangerous tests could be performed

Adam and Jamie would have used a hog carcass. made their own human simulants.

FTFY

I got the impression that the new guys do have a bigger budget for such stuff. Perhaps only due to their (comparative) lack of experience in making TV/movie special effects?

Wouldn't it be ironic if the source of those syndavers was Hyneman's M5 Industries?

On the other hand, I do think that hog carcasses simply would not have worked in those car crashes just because of their big differences from human bodies. Those bodies were properly seat-belted so pig legs could not have reached the airbag covers.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Did you see the episode where Tory sewed togeather a "meat man" out of hog parts, put it it an old style diving suit (the kind with a big metal helmet), pressurized it, sank it to 300 feet and then cut off the pressure ? ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY3fN4N3D8
user Stupid cockwomble
"meat man"?

::blushes::
DukeofNuke posted:
Did you see the episode where Tory sewed togeather a "meat man" out of hog parts, put it it an old style diving suit (the kind with a big metal helmet), pressurized it, sank it to 300 feet and then cut off the pressure ? ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY3fN4N3D8

Sure, but the point of that diving suit mythbusting was to see what would happen to a "body" that underwent those changes in pressure. That body didn't have to have similar measurements of a human body. It only needed to have similar mass and compression strength.

Exploding car airbags in combination with pig carcasses would have drastically changed the POINT of that attempt at mythbusting which was would a human be kiiled by resting his legs or feet on the cover of the passenger air bag that exploded in a car crash.

And your example just emphasizes my point that the old Mythbusters often created their own simulations. I am unsure if this was due to simple budget restraints that the new Mythbusters are not under, or just orneriness in the attitude of "WE can make this, no problem".
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
The Punisher (Netflix)

Always preferred him as a guest antihero in Spiderman and Daredevil, as the central character it always runs the risk of becoming another nihilistic Deathwish revenge fantasy like the movies do. But this focuses a lot more on the veteran's side of things, it keeps it human and heartfelt. John Bernthal owns this role and it's such a great character for him. Loving it so far.
dv
Metacell posted:
The Punisher (Netflix)

Always preferred him as a guest antihero in Spiderman and Daredevil, as the central character it always runs the risk of becoming another nihilistic Deathwish revenge fantasy like the movies do. But this focuses a lot more on the veteran's side of things, it keeps it human and heartfelt. John Bernthal owns this role and it's such a great character for him. Loving it so far.

Finished. Why’d they have to go and make Lewis so damned sympathetic?
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
You watched the whole thing? I just watched the 1st episode. Must be good.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 37