What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 37
Online now: Google [Bot]
user Stupid cockwomble
The Handmaiden's Tale. I know the actress as West Wing's Zoe, but most people know her from Mad Men. Very intense.
user posted:
The Handmaiden's Tale. I know the actress as West Wing's Zoe, but most people know her from Mad Men. Very intense.

We've been watching too, it's good. She was also in Top of the Lake which is soooo good.

Margaret Atwood is one of my favorite authors. My favorite book by her is the Blind Assassin. Keep meaning to finish the oryx and crake series.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
13 Reasons Why.

Nearly crying from it.
Longstreet. James Franciscus plays a blind detective. Bruce Lee features prominently in some episodes.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Ribtor posted:
Longstreet. James Franciscus plays a blind detective. Bruce Lee features prominently in some episodes.

Does he have a white German Shepherd seeing-eye dog?
I seem to remember a show like that.
DukeofNuke posted:
Ribtor posted:

Does he have a white German Shepherd seeing-eye dog?
I seem to remember a show like that.

Indeed.
obvs posted:
13 Reasons Why.

Nearly crying from it.

Powerful stuff, isn't it?

Very well paced and acted. I read a rumour that a second season is being considered, given all of the threads left at the end of the last episode. I think that is exactly the reason they need to NOT do a second season. More episodes would just be trite and grasping, imho.
user Stupid cockwomble
StaticAge posted:
user posted:

We've been watching too, it's good. She was also in Top of the Lake which is soooo good.

Margaret Atwood is one of my favorite authors. My favorite book by her is the Blind Assassin. Keep meaning to finish the oryx and crake series.

Rather brutal, though. Not for the kiddies.

Not sure about myself either. Haven't read it.
TOS
tried watching american gods, but found it dreadfully boring
dv
user posted:
StaticAge posted:
user posted:

Rather brutal, though. Not for the kiddies.

Not sure about myself either. Haven't read it.

In one of the elementary schools I used to work in, it was part of the 5th grade curriculum.
user Stupid cockwomble
Reading about a stoning or a choking hanging is not as raw as seeing it happen I guess. Like I said, I haven't read the book.
Warin posted:
obvs posted:
13 Reasons Why.

Nearly crying from it.

Very well paced and acted. I read a rumour that a second season is being considered, given all of the threads left at the end of the last episode. I think that is exactly the reason they need to NOT do a second season. More episodes would just be trite and grasping, imho.
Most of the time with something that powerful I think it's hard to maintain it through a second season, but there have been some instances where a second season was actually even better than the first. I would be cautiously pessimistic, but I would watch.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
obvs posted:
Warin posted:
obvs posted:
13 Reasons Why.

Nearly crying from it.

Most of the time with something that powerful I think it's hard to maintain it through a second season, but there have been some instances where a second season was actually even better than the first. I would be cautiously pessimistic, but I would watch.

That last (double) season of Breaking Bad sucked.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Warin posted:
obvs posted:
13 Reasons Why.

Nearly crying from it.

Oh you know there's going to be another season. It won't be like this one, though. It'll be the kid that flips out and goes postal after relentless bullying.
TOS
my kid's school board sent out an email to all parents today on the subject of 13 reasons why:

Quote:
Dear Parents / Guardians,

We are writing to share information related to the Netflix series 13 Reasons Why. The series deals with the difficult topic of suicide. Schools have an important role in preventing youth suicide. We feel it is important to share information with you at this time.

The Netflix series 13 Reasons Why, and the book this series is based on, may pose a risk to students who are struggling with stressful experiences. The story is of a 17-year-old girl who dies by suicide. She leaves behind cassette tapes for 13 people whose action she perceives were reasons why she killed herself. It is important to highlight that no person can cause another person’s suicide.

The series is raising concerns from suicide prevention experts about the potential risks. The series graphically depicts a suicide death and covers a number of difficult topics such a bullying, rape, drunk driving and shaming. It also portrays adults and counsellors as unhelpful.

Series like this one can lead to misinformation about suicide. You may wish to ask your child if they have heard of or seen this series. While many youth know the difference between a TV drama and real life, talking with adults about this subject is very important.

Adults can help share the message that suicide is not a solution to problems and help is available. Research shows that exposure to real or dramatized stories of suicide can increase risk.

The following are suggestions which may help with the conversation:

● Remind them that the series is fictional.

● Share that it is normal to experience periods of stress and distress. Offer healthy coping strategies, e.g. exercise, art, journaling, talking to friends and adults they trust.

● Let them know that there are adults at school who care and can help.

● Talk about where to seek support if they need it from family members, counsellors, coaches, teachers, faith leaders, a crisis line like Kids Help Phone, 1-800-668-6868, etc.

● Talk openly about emotional distress and suicide. Doing so in a fact-based manner does not increase suicide risk (see tips below).

● If you have concerns about your child’s mental health, see your family physician and/or share your concerns with the school.

● If the concern is more urgent, call York Region’s Crisis Response Service, 1-855-310-COPE (2673) or take your child to a hospital emergency department. If there is an emergency call 911.

Possible signs someone may be having thoughts of suicide:

● Suicide threats, both direct (“I am going to kill myself.” “I need life to stop.”) and indirect (“I need it to stop.” “I wish I could fall asleep and never wake up.”). Threats can be verbal or written and are often found in online postings;

● Giving away possessions;

● Preoccupation with death in conversation, writing, drawing and social media;

● Changes in behavior, appearance/hygiene, thoughts and/or feelings. This can include someone who is typically sad who suddenly becomes extremely happy;

● Emotional distress;

● Withdrawing from friends and family.

Trust yourself as a parent/guardian. If you feel something is not right with your child or notice any of the signs above, do not hesitate to ask directly about thoughts of suicide.

This may be a tough conversation to have but sends a message that you are open to talking about suicide and increases the chances your child will seek help. That might sound like,

“Sometimes when people are under stress, having trouble with friends, and worrying a lot, they have thoughts of suicide. Are you having thoughts of suicide?”

To learn more about safely talking about suicide, consider taking a suicide prevention program. Find out more at www.livingworks.net.

Many staff in York Region District School Board are trained in suicide intervention and want to help. If you have concerns about your child’s mental health, or need additional resources, please contact your child’s school. Thank you for partnering with us to support student mental health and well-being.

New Girl. Zooey is delightful but it's just another show about idiots. Nothing new.

Detroiters. Again, just a couple of idiots.

TV writers can't compete with the real idiocy of our times when it comes to entertainment value. But they do promote infantilism as a lifestyle.
Ribtor posted:
New Girl. Zooey is delightful but it's just another show about idiots. Nothing new.

Detroiters. Again, just a couple of idiots.

TV writers can't compete with the real idiocy of our times when it comes to entertainment value. But they do promote infantilism as a lifestyle.

My daughter loves that show. I just couldn't get into it.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I tried watching 13 Reasons Why. I can't get into it; the high school "I'm so deep" precociousness, like nobody's ever felt the feelings these teens are feeling right now is exasperating. And Joy Division on the soundtrack is sacrilege.

Last edited by Robert B. on Fri May 05, 2017 1:49 pm.

ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
user Stupid cockwomble
Taken.

Directed by Luc Besson. Interesting take on Bryan Mills at the start of his career. None of that "special skills" nonsense.

Just kidding.

Also: "dadsploitation films" and "geriaction movie"
Warin posted:
obvs posted:
13 Reasons Why.

Nearly crying from it.

It's already been confirmed.
dv
Star Wars: The Clone Wars. (The CGI cartoon, not the earlier Samurai Jack inspired one.)

It's cute drivel. Good background noise, with some cute references to the "legacy" expanded universe if you're paying attention.

But when the clone troopers turned on their night vision and it was the friggin' green-screen thing from Rebel Assault II (or maybe it was Dark Forces... I just knew that teenage me had seen it a lot), I just about lost it laughing.
I'm liking American Gods (2017 on Starz in the US, Amazon Prime Video elsewhere).

According a recent tweet by Neil Gaiman the series will go on to more than one season, estimating that the book "should take about five" AND with the possibility that--because the novel ended open-endedly--the TV series may go beyond it.

Here's an infographic on where American Gods is available:

I do admit it has been a long time since I've read the book so I WILL have to re-read it before season 1 ends.
They cancelled one of my fave show. Last Man Standing. :whaa:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
justine posted:
They cancelled one of my fave show. Last Man Standing. :whaa:

Done in by the liberal HollyWood elites from what I hear. :squint:
user Stupid cockwomble
I'm disappointed about Agent Carter being cancelled. They were in a cliff-hanger at the end of the last season.
user Stupid cockwomble
user posted:
Taken.

Directed by Luc Besson. Interesting take on Bryan Mills at the start of his career. None of that "special skills" nonsense.

Just kidding.

Also: "dadsploitation films" and "geriaction movie"

also: also:

TOS
that einstein one, pretty good

also season 3 of bosch, quite like that show
The Man In The High Castle part 2.

It's ok but they really are dragging out thin material. This story could be done in 6 or maybe ten episodes total. It drags.
TOS posted:

I like Bosch too. I was about to watch season 3, and my wife was curious so we watched the first season first episode, both of us knew it kinda wasn't her thing, but she wanted to watch the next and now she's totally hooked. Currently we're watching season two.
Yesterday I watched the final two episodes of the original Twin Peaks (1990-1991) on Showtime. I'm guessing that the channel had been replaying the series over the past 10 or so weeks.

BTW: the channel will be showing a marathon of the entire 30-episode series starting this coming Saturday leading up to the 2-hour opening episode of the NEW series this coming Sunday.

The first of those episodes was odd for me because I had never seen it since this was (for me) before I had gotten a VCR to record anything. If anything it left me with more unanswered questions because of my inability to watch all the episodes considering that Twin Peaks was very much a serial program where the happenings in one episode affected the following episodes.

I DID see that final episode back then. I can recall being VERY frustrated because without the previous episode to partly "explain" the circumstances leading up to it, it simply made no sense. I was so frustrated back then that I never bothered to watch any reruns nor to ever bother to try to watch any rebroadcasts.

Though it was rather creepy that Laura Palmer told FBI agent Dale Cooper in that backwards voice: "I'll see you again in 25 years." Off by a year, but still....

Kinda undecided on whether or not to watch the new series as yet.

EDIT: my math failed me: 8 episodes in the first season + 22 episodes in the second.

Last edited by DEyncourt on Wed May 17, 2017 5:45 am.

You expect a David Lynch production to end up making sense?
user Stupid cockwomble
Rather watch Blue Velvet, but I do have the whole series on DVD.
Wild at Heart is the best, after Eraserhead. I actually like Dune too. Couldn't survive through Lost Highway or Mulholland Drive.
TOS
StaticAge posted:
TOS posted:

I like Bosch too. I was about to watch season 3, and my wife was curious so we watched the first season first episode, both of us knew it kinda wasn't her thing, but she wanted to watch the next and now she's totally hooked. Currently we're watching season two.

oh i loved season 2, jeri ryan as an old-skool golden-age-of-hollywood femme fatale, she was perfect in that role
Sense8 season 2.

I love this show.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
The Handmaid's Tale

Some really stick fiddled up dystopia. Good show.
I just finished the two original seasons of Twin Peaks. Lots of great and original little bits within a muddled whole. I watched in preparation for the new season.

Gilmore Girls. One of my staff is lending me her DVD sets because I said I was looking for something fairly pleasant and not very challenging. It fits the bill. I like it. I particularly like the scenes with Emily and her daughter.
For the last year I've been watching early 1960s western show Laramie after work.
It's a very Hollywood type of western with lots of shooting and people too pretty to be rugged ranchers, but it's a nice waste of time. There are also lots of other contemporary stars that make guest appearances like Charles Bronson, and I saw one recently with Adam West.
We just started 13 Reasons Why. Its 2-3 episodes in but it seems almost ridiculous and unmoving. Does it pick up?

Like its irritating me this gimmick with the tapes playing out this fantasy of "how will everyone miss me when I'm gone, I'll show them". My wife is totally bored by it and doesnt care to see it anymore unless she knows it has something epic in the offing to redeem the ho-hum stuff going on now. I'm willing to see it play out regardless, but its not as good as I'd hoped so far.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 37