What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 37
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Vulture
Borderline

A fake documentary show about border security agents at a dismal U.K. airport. Much of the dialogue is unscripted and improvised. Quite funny.
I started to watch Big Little Lies on HBO (2017). This is set to be a limited series of 10 hour-long episodes.

It centers on the lives of various mothers living in Monterey, CA. Economically they range from Renata Klein (Laura Dern), a high-flying executive on the board of directors of various unnamed tech firms (although perhaps desperately fighting to maintain her positions there given the various one-sided phone conversations the viewer hears), to Jane Chapman (Shailene Woodley), a now-single mom struggling to get by but has taken the opportunity given by friends to get her child enrolled at a rather exclusive primary school. In something of a "cute meet" situation Jane befriends Madeline Martha Mackenzie (Reese Witherspoon)--who is THAT frenetic activist mom involved with EVERYTHING--while they are driving to the first day at that school. Madeline then introduces Jane to her bestie, Celeste Wright (Nicole Kidman), whose marriage seems to anyone from the outside to be a perfect ideal.

All of these mothers have children in the same first grade class which is partly why they interact/conflict with each other.

Overlaying that base is a murder mystery. Interspersed through the activities of these mothers are various police reports from about a couple of weeks (months?) in the future of the introduction of the above main storyline. Part of the conceit written into these parts is that the viewer isn't given any clear idea who had been murdered nor who is the primary suspect.

So, interesting, right? I had heard a preliminary review on NPR (I think) and I thought that.

On the other hand: I got to the middle of the second episode and it came to me: "I don't care about these people." Mind you: all of this is beautifully shot. All of the women are gorgeous, and despite how I was somewhat repulsed by Madeline at first I grew to like her a BIT but not enough to continue.

Sometimes I will just continue along considering that I had already invested about 1.5 hours into this and that there would be only 8 more episodes I hadn't seen yet, but at that point I just stopped the program and deleted it from my DVR's list of programs to record.
user Stupid cockwomble
Angel.

My last GF was really into it and she's not the type to watch stupid stuff, so I started binging it on Hulu last weekend. The wry humor in it is what keeps me going.

Sleezebag lawyer: "You know, we have a lot in common."
Ridiculously hot woman cop: "What? The fact that we're both 80% water?"
TOS
legion

holy mackerel, it's just spellbinding, mind-boggling
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I only watch all 3 NCIS.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story

I'm not exactly sure how to rate this, much of it was done extremely well, after binging through it in about 3 sessions it left me pretty damned depressed.
I remember the times very well, and the context of the times surrounding it--I was just finishing college when the Rodney King beating took place, and all the chatter in media and friends and family. I remember (white) people rationalizing the acquittal of the police officers, and how there was such a HUGE disconnect between how black people saw it and most white people.

The OJ Simpson case was something of a mind blower at the time because in the popular imagination, OJ was barely even registering as "black". When I first heard of the murders, I thought there was NO way OJ could have done it. He wasn't a hero of mine or anything, but he was just another one of those gentle presences on television, commercials, hosting things like "battle of the Network Stars" and of course his movies.
He seemed nice, cool and totally relatable to a suburban white-kid with some typical suburban white-kid prejudices.

I remember being in a bar with my wife (then girlfriend) when the Bronco Chase was happening--pre-empting a Knicks finals game. I recall rooting for OJ--not to run, but for him to be safe.

Then the story started to unfold about him not being so nice, about how he was an abuser and a total uncouth individual. And the 24-hour news media phenomenon came afire like nothing since Desert Storm--only uglier.
By the time the trial came about it was insanity and you couldn't escape it.

Anyway, this miniseries mostly rehashed a lot of stuff I already knew, but definitely showed that racist cop Mark Furhman was even worse of a dickhead racist fuckbag than the media showed. The fact that he is a media pundit now makes me puke. The fact that people defend him is even worse. Most of what went wrong in both the OJ case and the Rodney King case is due entirely by the LA cop culture that Furhman embodied.
Of course OJ got a great defense, not because he is black, but because he was rich.
The prosecution was well intentioned and decent, but made two critical mistakes and no amount of evidence was going to counter the Defense team and the larger cultural mindset that made "reasonable doubt" be what it was for that jury.

What depressed me most was I don't think the USA learned a damned stick fiddling thing.
Heh. Coincidentally I was literally on the highway about a half-hour ahead of where OJ's Bronco drove for about 3/4ths the way after the first report hit the news. I was too far ahead to see any of the people who came out to wave signs or at him because no one knew exactly where he was going (though knowing afterwards that he was heading to home in Brentwood it made sense for that Bronco to take the path it did).

Personally being in LA I had to live through the near-24/7 coverage that blanketed EVERY channel that had news coverage, getting shows and movies and even the news itself interrupted for just the latest gossip or celebrity who had come out for or against OJ. I have absolutely no interest in living through THAT apparently in near-REAL TIME again.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
arkayn posted:
I only watch all 3 NCIS.

I miss Tony!
TOS
Séamas posted:
The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story

I'm not exactly sure how to rate this, much of it was done extremely well, after binging through it in about 3 sessions it left me pretty damned depressed.
I remember the times very well, and the context of the times surrounding it--I was just finishing college when the Rodney King beating took place, and all the chatter in media and friends and family. I remember (white) people rationalizing the acquittal of the police officers, and how there was such a HUGE disconnect between how black people saw it and most white people.

The OJ Simpson case was something of a mind blower at the time because in the popular imagination, OJ was barely even registering as "black". When I first heard of the murders, I thought there was NO way OJ could have done it. He wasn't a hero of mine or anything, but he was just another one of those gentle presences on television, commercials, hosting things like "battle of the Network Stars" and of course his movies.
He seemed nice, cool and totally relatable to a suburban white-kid with some typical suburban white-kid prejudices.

I remember being in a bar with my wife (then girlfriend) when the Bronco Chase was happening--pre-empting a Knicks finals game. I recall rooting for OJ--not to run, but for him to be safe.

Then the story started to unfold about him not being so nice, about how he was an abuser and a total uncouth individual. And the 24-hour news media phenomenon came afire like nothing since Desert Storm--only uglier.
By the time the trial came about it was insanity and you couldn't escape it.

Anyway, this miniseries mostly rehashed a lot of stuff I already knew, but definitely showed that racist cop Mark Furhman was even worse of a dickhead racist fuckbag than the media showed. The fact that he is a media pundit now makes me puke. The fact that people defend him is even worse. Most of what went wrong in both the OJ case and the Rodney King case is due entirely by the LA cop culture that Furhman embodied.
Of course OJ got a great defense, not because he is black, but because he was rich.
The prosecution was well intentioned and decent, but made two critical mistakes and no amount of evidence was going to counter the Defense team and the larger cultural mindset that made "reasonable doubt" be what it was for that jury.

What depressed me most was I don't think the USA learned a damned stick fiddling thing.

it is nightmarishly depressing, but damn that show is just so very well made, i absolutely loved it
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
I got all of the episodes of Kids in the Hall.

It's still hilarious.
Donkey Butter jerk face
Glitch - I'm about 5 or 6 episodes in and it is still holding my interest
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Holy Sh**, Iron Fist is out now on Netflix. That's what I'll be watching, hoping it holds up with the rest.
Shades of Blue. The second season really piles plot on top of more plot. A bit muddled but Lopez and Liotta are good.

Death In Paradise, sixth season. Father Dougal McGuire! Great.
TOS
Metacell posted:
Holy Sh**, Iron Fist is out now on Netflix. That's what I'll be watching, hoping it holds up with the rest.

expectations

keep them low
dv
TOS posted:
Metacell posted:

expectations

keep them low

I'm enjoying it for the most part. All the supporting cast does well, the action is ok, I can ignore most of the comic book logic.

But Kung Fu Jesus just... all the fortune cookie wisdom reminds me of Adam Sandler in Waterboy. Some overly credulous guy leads a sheltered life, and can only cope via "b-b-but m-mamased!"

And I'm pretty sure that wasn't the writers' intention.

Then again, I know that there are people who go around literally quoting scripture in their heads, and use that "wisdom" to inform their (ill-advised) actions and opinions. So it's not all that unrealistic, just... a little frightening.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
dv posted:
TOS posted:
Metacell posted:

expectations

keep them low

I'm enjoying it for the most part. All the supporting cast does well, the action is ok, I can ignore most of the comic book logic.

But Kung Fu Jesus just... all the fortune cookie wisdom reminds me of Adam Sandler in Waterboy. Some overly credulous guy leads a sheltered life, and can only cope via "b-b-but m-mamased!"

And I'm pretty sure that wasn't the writers' intention.

Then again, I know that there are people who go around literally quoting scripture in their heads, and use that "wisdom" to inform their (ill-advised) actions and opinions. So it's not all that unrealistic, just... a little frightening.

Iron Fist is kinda fun but it is working pretty hard to be not great. The pacing is kinda slow for me.
I'm only 2 episodes in, but YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! THIS SHOW IS GREAT!! It's not bad...it's campy! Sure it's every white wasian wish-fulfillment fetish fantasy to be the KUNG FU MASTER who SAVES THE WORLD...but surely on that level, it delivers. It's as good as Jessica Jones (which is wish-fulfillment to be a member of The Velvet Underground).
dv
Metacell posted:
I'm only 2 episodes in, but YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! THIS SHOW IS GREAT!! It's not bad...it's campy! Sure it's every white wasian wish-fulfillment fetish fantasy to be the KUNG FU MASTER who SAVES THE WORLD...but surely on that level, it delivers. It's as good as Jessica Jones (which is wish-fulfillment to be a member of The Velvet Underground).

Keep at it. It gets worse.
Downloaded hundreds of Gigabytes of "BBC Horizon" episodes at work. Watching them in roughly chronological order. Highly enjoyable.
dv
dv posted:
Metacell posted:

Also, while I understand that product placement = money and money makes the world go 'round... stick fiddling billionaires do not drive Hyundai everywhere.
dv posted:
dv posted:
Metacell posted:

Also, while I understand that product placement = money and money makes the world go 'round... stick fiddling billionaires do not drive Hyundai everywhere.

That's the kind of thing I would never notice because I don't pay attention to car brand names. But that plays into what I like about how this explores Western materialism vs. Buddhist spiritual values. Anyway, this is not the kind of thing I expect excessive realism from. But so far at Ep8, I'm loving this story...it's fun and intense, it's the final confrontation of Madame Gao and The Hand plot that's developed through Daredevil). Yeah, there's all kinds of unrealistic stuff in this, but I don't care, it's a TV show modeled on 60's, 70's, and 80's martial arts and grindhouse revenge movies. And I like these Netflix shows more than a lot of the Marvel movies because they can't do the over-the-top special effects sequences, so they actually focus on the characters and the dialog and the drama. I find them way more engaging. Also, Danny Rand is total back of the comics kung-fu man. It's a better version of Arrow, which takes twice as long to tell a less interesting version of the same story.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I just started watching 13 Reasons Why. I'm a couple of episodes in. Something i personally can't binge watch, even though i want to.
justine posted:
I just started watching 13 Reasons Why. I'm a couple of episodes in. Something i personally can't binge watch, even though i want to.

My girls watched it, a hard show but they were hooked on it.
Farmerkev posted:
justine posted:

My girls watched it, a hard show but they were hooked on it.

Yeah, i want to watch it, but for me, i can only take it in small portions.
Vulture 420
Just started Fargo season 3 last night premier. As expected intriguing, mysterious, tantalizing, and predictably frustrating if you thought you might know what the hell is going on at all.
Vulture posted:
Just started Fargo season 3 last night premier. As expected intriguing, mysterious, tantalizing, and predictably frustrating if you thought you might know what the hell is going on at all.

I've only watched the first season, but i've been meaning to catch up.
TOS
justine posted:
Vulture posted:

I've only watched the first season, but i've been meaning to catch up.

i'm partway through season two and loving it

i loved seeing the woman from legion as a saucy minx
Vulture 420
Yeah great show to binge on, I swear though either you joke or that saucy minx isn't who you think it is.
Vulture 420
Oh yeah, also started Better Call Saul, and Gus Fring is officially in the picture (as long noted since season 2 Easter eggs). Mike still stands to be the most fun character in his pre-Breaking Bad evolution.
TOS
Vulture posted:
Yeah great show to binge on, I swear though either you joke or that saucy minx isn't who you think it is.

well, she had that one scene where she was a saucy minx with the typewriter guy
user Stupid cockwomble
Must not be talking about Faruza.
Another 10-episode X Files season is coming.

Set to start production this coming summer, it is predicted to hit the air during the first half of 2018.
We just started to watch legion this week, it is really amazing visually and the rest of it's pretty great too.

Saw the latest on Netflix from Dave Chappelle and Louis CK, Chappelle was hilarious if somewhat slightly homophobic vibe on occasion, CK was just unfunny and boringly bad except that I liked his redneck Chinese impression.

Finished Homeland this season, no spoilers, but slow build, rocketed up middle, ending kinda what now.

The Magicians is great. I don't know why it isn't as popular as I imagine it should be. We're going to watch the season ender tonight.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
I saw the first episode of the new season of Doctor Who. Bill is great.
ukimalefu posted:
I saw the first episode of the new season of Doctor Who. Bill is great.

Loved it.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I am 2eps into the remake of MST3k on Netflix. It's fun, very light entertainment. A perfect accompaniment for pot smoking.
The show that asks the question: Why is Jonah Hill calling himself Jonah Heston?
Vulture 420
Pariah posted:
I am 2eps into the remake of MST3k on Netflix. It's fun, very light entertainment. A perfect accompaniment for pot smoking.
The show that asks the question: Why is Jonah Hill calling himself Jonah Heston?

Saw the first episode. Although I'm happy to see they made this new season, and it is really funny, I have to be very careful and not be too serious about how good the originals were and still are because then I feel like this new season feels derivative and forced and not that funny.

What I did just see the first 6 episodes of and thought was amazing is the cartoon Rick And Morty. Holy human waste, that's how you make a cartoon. I know you guys gave me flack for thinking Futurama was just corny and boring now that its time has passed, Rick And Morty just might be everything (at least so far) I've wanted but didn't know it until I saw it, as far as a cartoon series. They don't seem to have any limitations on how far they can go in ridiculous lewdness, and they can curse, so maybe it's easier that way.
So, i finished Thirteen Reasons Why, and it's really good. I probably shouldn't have watched the last episode in the cafeteria at work because i was crying like a baby, but whatever. I highly recommend it.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Vulture posted:
Pariah posted:

Saw the first episode. Although I'm happy to see they made this new season, and it is really funny, I have to be very careful and not be too serious about how good the originals were and still are because then I feel like this new season feels derivative and forced and not that funny.

What I did just see the first 6 episodes of and thought was amazing is the cartoon Rick And Morty. Holy human waste, that's how you make a cartoon. I know you guys gave me flack for thinking Futurama was just corny and boring now that its time has passed, Rick And Morty just might be everything (at least so far) I've wanted but didn't know it until I saw it, as far as a cartoon series. They don't seem to have any limitations on how far they can go in ridiculous lewdness, and they can curse, so maybe it's easier that way.

I like everyone involved in the new show so it is fun for me to see them all together. I was real happy to see Patton Oswalt. I hadn't really read anything about this remake so seeing him show up was a nice surprise.
Pariah posted:
Vulture posted:
Pariah posted:

I like everyone involved in the new show so it is fun for me to see them all together. I was real happy to see Patton Oswalt. I hadn't really read anything about this remake so seeing him show up was a nice surprise.

I saw the first episode and it was fun to have on while painting. I often have shows on while painting to keep my logical mind sort of distracted while the other parts of my mind become free to play. Like, music will start to inspire me too much, I will go grab my guitar and it will totally pull me out of painting (distracting in a bad way). On the other hand, listening to a youtube lecture might work, but might get me in a weird mood or make me want to write about the subject at hand. Television works for me, but it cant be like too good of a show, unless I've already seen it, because I will want to watch it, and what I really want is just to listen to it with occasional glances.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 37