What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 37
Online now: Majestic-12 [Bot]
Reilly, Ace Of Spies, from 1983. A mostly true account in 12 episodes about a famous British/Russian spy who had a hand in many major early 20th century events that still shape our world. Reilly was Ian Flemming's major influence in developing the Bond character. Sam Neil played the title character.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
Ha! I've also been watching Enterprise in fits and starts (interspersed with early episodes of NCIS), and I've made it up to E56 (S3 E1), the beginning of the Xindi storyline.

proceed no further

S3 had some of the best episodes: Twilight, North Star and Carpenter Street.

North Star had the gal from Taken - also loved the guy who played Bennings.
TOS
user posted:
TOS posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
Ha! I've also been watching Enterprise in fits and starts (interspersed with early episodes of NCIS), and I've made it up to E56 (S3 E1), the beginning of the Xindi storyline.

proceed no further

S3 had some of the best episodes: Twilight, North Star and Carpenter Street.

North Star had the gal from Taken - also loved the guy who played Bennings.

the whole xindi storyline was a complete disaster, made no sense at all, and forever guaranteed the series would be set aside from the rest of the trek franchise
user Stupid cockwomble
Agreed, but those still were good episodes. North Star had nothing to do with the Xindi.
Vulture 420
Season 4 Episode 17 "Bound" was about sex pheromones getting the male crew hot and heavy for some green "slave" women. Good episode, and I remember it because in the Enterprise Gym they are using the same weights I have to work out.
Ah, my mistake: Armistice (Ingrid Bolsø Berdal) is the host with the snake tattoo.

The administrator for Westworld is Theresa (Sidse Babett Knudsen).
So Westworld is continuing to fill in its backstory. Not sure if it is enough to keep me going. MAYBE I'll watch next week's episode.

Theresa had gone to Westworld as a young girl? Even ignoring the sheer expense and the possibility of employee discounts, what kind of irresponsible parent would do that?

The Man in Black apparently is a recognized philanthropist "back" in the real world, but he gruffly tells another guest that he is on vacation to get away from all of that and warns him that he will do something to make him regret bringing it up ever again.

So the hosts either by programming or by somehow computer "generated" reactions cannot fire a gun at a guest or at least seriously wound a guest. How about that wicked knife that Wyatt had--can he use that on a guest? Let's say a guest shoots that blade out of Wyatt's hand: what prevents that ricocheting knife from hitting a guest (well, maybe by a quick "reaction" by a host to get in the way)? Or prevents a guest from getting a boot stuck in a stirrup and getting dragged and trampled by his android horse if only for a short while? Or stops a guest from committing murder by pushing another guest off even a rather short cliff, much less off some of the higher topography within Westworld? Aren't there a miilion ways to die in (the) Westworld?

A lot of problems for Westworld are pretty much the same as those for holodecks in Star Trek (well, for TNG and later by internal Trek chronology). At least in Star Trek the simulation could be frozen or even ended to allow a person inside the holodeck to extricate himself out of whatever simulated danger he was in, but not so for Westworld except via script contrivances.
TOS
they shoot at guests with wild abandon, their guns just can't cause any harm

they've also shown kids there previously

i think your grouchiness would vanish if you would simply practice a litle suspension of disbelief, which is necessary to enjoy all creative content
chikie The same deviled egg
Also I think this week they showed themselves speeding up the shootout in the main town because a family was heading back to town. It would make sense they micromanage everything.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Maybe we should have a Westworld thread ?
Vulture 420
The only thing driving me batty about Westworld is that I can't watch it all back to back at once. The only strength in the show is simply that we don't know the setup of all the details they will slowly divulge us, like who created it for what purpose and how the main guests are connected to the story beyond just being random guests. My favorite part is that as the hosts experience things that the viewer is meant to relate to, it makes a fun way to compare humans in the real world to the oblivious robots who slowly seem to figure things out and play with the idea that they may have free will and a path of their own choosing.
Wonders Of Life. A five part series presented by Dr. Brian Cox (the U.K.'s Neil D Tyson), about life, but from a physicist's perspective.
dv
Started watching Prison Break. I remember seeing ads for this when it originally aired, but never watched it.

18 episodes into season 1; this is some damn good TV.

Not particularly realistic though. Main character heals way too fast, Illinois doesn't use the electric chair, death row inmates don't afaik get work detail with gen pop... the list goes on and on.
Donkey Butter jerk face
I just started season 2 of House of Cards and couldn't believe it when Underwood killed Zoe!!!!!!
TOS
Donkey Butter posted:
I just started season 2 of House of Cards and couldn't believe it when Underwood killed Zoe!!!!!!

i know, that was so sudden and shocking

i'd watched the uk version years earlier so i kind of knew it ws coming, but i figured they weren't going to do that part
user Stupid cockwomble
There's that next surprise killin, too, if they follow the UK version.
jkahless Custom Title
Metacell posted:
I liked Hoshi. Whateva' Whasian. (Blasian...is that a thing...yet?)

Pretty sure the actor is Korean, or at least she looks Korean. You know you're from Vancouver when...
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
jkahless posted:
Metacell posted:

Pretty sure the actor is Korean, or at least she looks Korean. You know you're from Vancouver when...

Yah, Linda Park is a Korean American, but I was referring to myself as Whasian...a white guy who associates with everything asian. I'm also a Whack Whexican. SF upbringing, no doubt. Also, my mother lived in Japan in 1978-79 and sent me bucketloads of Ultraman monsters before you ever saw them in the USA. I was culturally obsessed by the obvious superiority in children's entertainment.
TOS
Metacell posted:
jkahless posted:
Metacell posted:

Yah, Linda Park is a Korean American, but I was referring to myself as Whasian...a white guy who associates with everything asian. I'm also a Whack Whexican. SF upbringing, no doubt. Also, my mother lived in Japan in 1978-79 and sent me bucketloads of Ultraman monsters before you ever saw them in the USA. I was culturally obsessed by the obvious superiority in children's entertainment.

still have those ultraman toys? i bet they'd be worth a pretty penny nowadays
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I gave all 50+ of them to some girl I was in love with. Same with my banned DK's Frankenchrist poster. I'm stupid.
chikie posted:
Also I think this week they showed themselves speeding up the shootout in the main town because a family was heading back to town. It would make sense they micromanage everything.

I had asked: "what kind of irresponsible parent would" take a kid to Westworld though that question was mostly in terms of finances. I know, I know: one for whom the expense of any higher education is simply NOT at all a concern, of course.

But then is Westworld family-oriented entertainment?

Sure, in the US historical West families and even whole communities had moved into the wilds, sometimes to escape the persecution of just being different (like the Mormons) but mostly get out of the drudgery of eastern cities where to be poor was an awful misery in itself. But those people did it at least for the opportunity of perhaps something better, if not for him/herself personally but for his/her family, AND quite a number of them were horribly butchered for being invaders of one sort or another (if rather rightly so by Native Americans if not by cattlemen who saw farmers as carving up "their" open lands, the latter being protected by "only" legalisms like mere property deeds).

Perhaps Westworld can seen as an "educational" opportunity for families: "See how our ancestors handled these hardships and misery that YOU will never encounter"?

Nah, Westworld is a PURE fantasy world of what the west was "like" as depicted by Hollywood with MOST racism whitewashed away WITH the additional spice of overt sex PLUS horrific sadism if we were to take what HAD been Delores' experiences every evening--even without the Man in Black--before she got her current somewhat freeform storyline. Hell, I will not let my youngest nephew watch the opening episode of Westworld given just its story implications (never mind any bare breasts), so would someone take their family with even a very precocious and worldly 15-year-old to Westworld just given the possibility of him encountering Delores' original daily storyline?

Perhaps the management of Westworld is able to micromanage every family's experience of Westworld so that they avoid any such "messy" details, that Delores would merely get a good night peck from Teddy at her door as her family just "sleeps" through the night, or that 15-year-old would get distracted from Delores' family ranch if her storyline was too far advanced.

Maybe. But I think it makes more sense to have Westworld just be an adult-oriented theme park so that EVERY younger person who looks to be underaged is simply another host acting out some role.
Vulture 420
I could be wrong, but I think Westworld is not like Disneyland where you would bring your kids. I don't think it was ever meant to be and I don't think kids are suddenly included in the new series as guests just because all of America coddles their children beyond belief now. And, unlike something like Disneyland or Disney World, chances are your family can't afford it.
Vulture posted:
I could be wrong, but I think Westworld is not like Disneyland where you would bring your kids. I don't think it was ever meant to be and I don't think kids are suddenly included in the new series as guests just because all of America coddles their children beyond belief now. And, unlike something like Disneyland or Disney World, chances are your family can't afford it.

We have had at least 2 administrators say that they had gone to Westworld as children during its earlier development, and more currently there was that bit of dialog between some of the people overseeing Westworld saying that they were trying to hurry the storyline of Wyatt's gang marauding the town of Sweetwater--which may be a daily occurence that we didn't get to see before because instead the viewers first saw Delores' family and boyfriend being savaged and killed before Delores herself got dragged off-stage by the Man in Black at her family's ranch far outside of town--because "a family is on its way back to town" (or at least words to that effect).
jkahless Custom Title
I've been watching X Company lately. A solid WWII spy thriller, with local flavour, the agents are Canadians trained at Camp X in rural Ontario. It's on CBC.ca for free, worth watching.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
jkahless posted:
I've been watching X Company lately. A solid WWII spy thriller, with local flavour, the agents are Canadians trained at Camp X in rural Ontario. It's on CBC.ca for free, worth watching.

I agree, it's very good :up:
just watched episode 6 of westworld. i love mauve, she seems to have a way better protagonist story than the dolores bit so far.
Vulture 420
Aaron_R posted:
just watched episode 6 of westworld. i love mauve, she seems to have a way better protagonist story than the dolores bit so far.

Yes, she's the hidden gem that blows this script wide open into why they made this show.
Vulture 420
DEyncourt posted:
Vulture posted:

We have had at least 2 administrators say that they had gone to Westworld as children during its earlier development, and more currently there was that bit of dialog between some of the people overseeing Westworld saying that they were trying to hurry the storyline of Wyatt's gang marauding the town of Sweetwater--which may be a daily occurence that we didn't get to see before because instead the viewers first saw Delores' family and boyfriend being savaged and killed before Delores herself got dragged off-stage by the Man in Black at her family's ranch far outside of town--because "a family is on its way back to town" (or at least words to that effect).

Yes, "I've got a couple families in the Homestead, we changed their itinerary, they're headed into town, should be there in 20 minutes or so, the place is a bloodbath." It's not Wyatt's gang but "some guests riding with Hector this time", which is complicated because the MiB just rode with them and left, not sure if this means it's simply a storyline timing issue for guests or actual censorship management for families.
If it means little children can't see blood and violence it makes sense to infer that. It could just mean they want to set the stage as a clean slate for their entrance into town with the changed itinerary, but using the word families does seem to imply children are present sometimes.

Last edited by Vulture on Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:20 am.

I like Maeve (Thandie Newton) as a character BUT she is NOT an android. The writers for Westworld want to convince me that the programmers OF Westworld can "accidentally" program in curiosity?

And exactly how an android which can be "suspended" and have its memory wiped--albeit apparently not as thoroughly as the programmers of Westworld believe (a "problem" which is, quite frankly, a script convenience)--able to threaten a couple of techs by threatening to reveal their sexual perversions? What prevents those techs from putting Maeve into fully compliant mode then simply using Bernard's (Jeffrey Wright) previous "paperwork" to repurpose Maeve elsewhere within Westworld after another imperfect memory wipe or just "retire" her?

And seriously: the androids of Westworld are designed with sexual perversions in mind. Except for the sheer embarrassment of having one's particular perversions revealed, what might be the response from Westworld management? "OK, that's really kinky but it costs our corporate masters somewhere between 25 and 100 K to fix 'her' each time you've done that. I can cover for you because you're a valuable tech, but next time it comes out of your salary. And, seriously, there better NOT be a next time."
dv
DEyncourt posted:
I like Maeve (Thandie Newton) as a character BUT she is NOT an android. The writers for Westworld want to convince me that the programmers OF Westworld can "accidentally" program in curiosity?

And exactly how an android which can be "suspended" and have its memory wiped--albeit apparently not as thoroughly as the programmers of Westworld believe (a "problem" which is, quite frankly, a script convenience)--able to threaten a couple of techs by threatening to reveal their sexual perversions? What prevents those techs from putting Maeve into fully compliant mode then simply using Bernard's (Jeffrey Wright) previous "paperwork" to repurpose Maeve elsewhere within Westworld after another imperfect memory wipe or just "retire" her?

And seriously: the androids of Westworld are designed with sexual perversions in mind. Except for the sheer embarrassment of having one's particular perversions revealed, what might be the response from Westworld management? "OK, that's really kinky but it costs our corporate masters somewhere between 25 and 100 K to fix 'her' each time you've done that. I can cover for you because you're a valuable tech, but next time it comes out of your salary. And, seriously, there better NOT be a next time."

Depends on the manager. If I had to deal with an employee who had a "really, really wants to dismember women" or something fetish, I'd probably add him to "the list" for the next round of layoffs.

Because that's just stick fiddling creepy.
Vulture 420
DEyncourt posted:

This bothers me too, but they made a point to say it's too time consuming to do a complete wipe so they keep unwiped data memories as "dreams" to cut corners. We also don't fully know the extent to which the malfunction the techs can't seem to deal with is outside of their expertise because it simply isn't supposed to happen and unknown upper level covert control is just being uncovered by Elsie and Bernard, which may be triggering the inability to keep this android in check. It's definitely lumpy logic but it's also covered enough to still keep it going for now just because we are not being told so much.
3rd Rock From The Sun. Inspired lunacy. Shatner is great as the Big Giant Head.
Vulture posted:
DEyncourt posted:

This bothers me too, but they made a point to say it's too time consuming to do a complete wipe so they keep unwiped data memories as "dreams" to cut corners. We also don't fully know the extent to which the malfunction the techs can't seem to deal with is outside of their expertise because it simply isn't supposed to happen and unknown upper level covert control is just being uncovered by Elsie and Bernard, which may be triggering the inability to keep this android in check. It's definitely lumpy logic but it's also covered enough to still keep it going for now just because we are not being told so much.

Like I wrote before: a script convenience.

Listen: computers can ONLY do what they are told to do. Sometimes malware can get in which will tell it to do something that YOU don't want it to do, but again SOMETHING--just not you--is telling the computer to do something specific.

How would one of Westworld's androids pick out a memory from a part of its RAM that it has been told not to access? Shouldn't it have been an EXTREME priority for the Westworld programmers to figure out a way to wipe away old programming given that their androids are having behavior problems when "dreaming" stuff from their past programming or from their nightly shutdowns?

On the other hand: what the Westworld viewer sees as the camera pans around inside the Westworld "fix-it" shop is disturbing to HUMAN eyes because there appears to be sections of total carnage with humanoid bodies being taken apart and put back together looking like a bizarre combination of Frankenstein's lab and Auschwitz...but what would an android "see"? Sorry, but like any computer: only what its programmers (perhaps including some malware) tell it to see.
And with last night episode I am done with HBO's Westworld. That Bernard is an android doesn't violate any "rules"--after all: their universe so their rules--but that is the straw that broke my '"suspension of disbelief" camel's back. Given how the makers of the series have played with the emotions of the viewers--that opening "memory" of Bernard DREAMING (sorry, but not clever enough for me) about how his child died in a hospital bed--means that they can do anything with no hint to the viewers of who is what. They might "Twilight Zone" the whole series with Dr. Ford being the last human in the world except in the last reveal showing that he too is an android.

It's basically my problem with LOST in that I can no longer enjoy the intrigue but am simply annoyed by it.
TOS
DEyncourt posted:
Dr. Ford being the last human in the world except in the last reveal showing that he too is an android.

sounds pretty awesome to me

though it would surely violate his speech about their lack of consciousness
Vulture 420
DEyncourt posted:
And with last night episode I am done with HBO's Westworld. That Bernard is an android doesn't violate any "rules"--after all: their universe so their rules--but that is the straw that broke my '"suspension of disbelief" camel's back. Given how the makers of the series have played with the emotions of the viewers--that opening "memory" of Bernard DREAMING (sorry, but not clever enough for me) about how his child died in a hospital bed--means that they can do anything with no hint to the viewers of who is what. They might "Twilight Zone" the whole series with Dr. Ford being the last human in the world except in the last reveal showing that he too is an android.

It's basically my problem with LOST in that I can no longer enjoy the intrigue but am simply annoyed by it.

As I was reading this, before I read the last sentence, I was thinking of how stupid television has become ever since LOST and people are eating it up. And then you hit it right on with that zinger. Totally agree. I imagine whether or not people keep watching depends upon how much BS they are willing to put up with because somehow other aspects of production or casting overshadow the shell game in the writing. "I still wonder what's going to happen!?"
LOST lost me at--I think--the end of the first episode of the second season where the viewers saw the "reset" given that there was a whole very civilized village of the Others on a nearby island who were set to act when Oceanic 815 crashed. While that opened quite a number of new questions to be asked such as "How was it set up that the jetliner would crash on that island next to the island with the Others?", I just mentally threw up my hands in frustration that I had wasted so much time watching the first season then speculating about the show.

Considering that THAT series went on to complete a total of six seasons, apparently there were (are?) a LOT of people still wondering what was going to happen next.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 37