What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 36
Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot]
TOS
it's been many many years but i could swear that the droids went bonkers due to a computer virus, whereas in the show it's some kind of self-awareness

i suspect they're going to get into some blade runner this-is-what-it's-like-to-be-a-slave type stuff

i think it could and should be darker, because let's face it, let people do whatever the hell they want without reprocussion and you'll get an orgy of humpin' and killin' and very little "oh let's admire the historical accuracy"
Ken Burns' Civil War (1990) I'm watching it in reverse order. It makes more sense to me because each episode provides context to next.
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS posted:
it's been many many years but i could swear that the droids went bonkers due to a computer virus...

Nah, it was just because they were technology run amok. That stuff wuz evil in the late 70s.
jkahless Custom Title
Ah. Brooklyn Nine Nine is still by far the funniest show on TV right now.
Been binge watching "24".
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
jkahless posted:
Ah. Brooklyn Nine Nine is still by far the funniest show on TV right now.

The worst part is not being able to binge it now that I'm caught up.
jkahless Custom Title
Just got through the Vulcan trilogy in enterprise season 4. All of a sudden I'm watching star trek again!
user Stupid cockwomble
watching enterprise myself on hulu
Vulture 420
TOS posted:
that scandinavian actress is marvelous, just really watchable tv

also i really didn't find it as dark as everyone made it out to be ... it's nowhere near as dark as game of thrones or the zombie shows

Who exactly is that scandinavian actress exactly? Not sure who you mean. Also, just a general aside about Westworld the TV show, it is by now common knowledge and not a spoiler that the Gunslinger analog in the show is a human and not an android even though it seemed ambiguously confusing at first.
user posted:
watching enterprise myself on hulu

I need to pick Enterprise up again. I never watched it at all when it first ran, so I feel the need to watch it :)
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I liked Hoshi. Whateva' Whasian. (Blasian...is that a thing...yet?)
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Ha! I've also been watching Enterprise in fits and starts (interspersed with early episodes of NCIS), and I've made it up to E56 (S3 E1), the beginning of the Xindi storyline.
Vulture 420
Enterprise was great after the fact on Netflix. The best part was that you could skip over the intro theme song every time.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
The Night Of

HBO miniseries
user Stupid cockwomble
been a long time gettin from there to here
Yori Program
Zapped. The first episode was pretty funny.
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
Ha! I've also been watching Enterprise in fits and starts (interspersed with early episodes of NCIS), and I've made it up to E56 (S3 E1), the beginning of the Xindi storyline.

proceed no further
dv
TOS posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

proceed no further

Or skip straight to season 4? There was some good stuff in season 4.
user Stupid cockwomble
ukimalefu posted:
T'pol 4eva

For me, it's less about the boobies than the development of the T'pol character (although she did look fine in that white away mission outfit....yeah now let's talk about Trip's pects).
jkahless Custom Title
I will say they at least tried to have equal opportunity eye candy. Those starfleet issue boxers are pretty tight.
TOS
that show was a catastrophe of missed opportunities
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Great cast, bad writing. It has to be said, the producers had no vision for doing it correctly.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Westworld -- doesn't it seem rather silly for the hosts/androids to be acting out their storylines with each other when their are no humans anywhere within their vicinty?

How often does Dorothy ride home with Teddy to see her father and Teddy get murdered, regardless of whether a human is there to watch and interact?
Westworld -- doesn't it seem rather silly for the hosts/androids to be acting out their storylines with each other when their are no humans anywhere within their vicinty?

Actually, no. After all, in the real world there are lots of things going on around you without you interacting with THOSE people. If the hosts were to be shut down whenever all guests leave their area, could they be re-started realistically when any guests do come by?

How often does Dorothy ride home with Teddy to see her father and Teddy get murdered, regardless of whether a human is there to watch and interact?

Apparently every damn day. Being abused is Dolores' set storyline.

-----

At this point I really must insist that Westworld adds some meat to its plot. All of the hinting of apparently more interesting things in its background is OK--even necessary to fill in its backstory--but it has gotten tiresome. I shall give it one more episode before giving up.
DEyncourt posted:

Actually, no. After all, in the real world there are lots of things going on around you without you interacting with THOSE people. If the hosts were to be shut down whenever all guests leave their area, could they be re-started realistically when any guests do come by?

Right, so every day Teddy and her father get murdered and then in the morning everybody resets. Firstly, that's pretty quick on the repair jobs; I don't know of any IT department that works that fast. Secondly, do all storylines run on the same 24-hour cycle? Does the entire park just reset the same story every damn day? And if they don't, then different androids are running on different time cycles. That seems really incongruous. As a guest, waking up in the morning to see the same scenes acted out in front of me would be jarring. Like I was in the Matrix.
user Stupid cockwomble
Vulture 420
Big ups to Westworld talking about consciousness within the context of Julian Jaynes and the Bicameral Mind hypothesis and then simply explaining what it means in terms of hearing god voices and then using it in the storyline during a critical point in the episode.
Robert B. posted:
DEyncourt posted:

Right, so every day Teddy and her father get murdered and then in the morning everybody resets. Firstly, that's pretty quick on the repair jobs; I don't know of any IT department that works that fast. Secondly, do all storylines run on the same 24-hour cycle? Does the entire park just reset the same story every damn day? And if they don't, then different androids are running on different time cycles. That seems really incongruous. As a guest, waking up in the morning to see the same scenes acted out in front of me would be jarring. Like I was in the Matrix.

How often have you gone to Disneyland/DisneyWorld/whatever large amusement park which may be close to you? When you do, did you EVER go with the expectation that something there will be vastly different?

While Westworld is much more intricate, it is still an amusement park (albeit one with an incredibly high maintenance budget and likely matched by high entry fees).

I must imagine that there must be SOME guests who fully appreciate the idea of riding to the rescue of Delores' family and just acting out the role of a white hat (<tips hat> "Much obliged for the offer, Miss Delores, but sometimes a man sees a problem and has to do the right thing"), but what happens when the bad guy is The Man in Black? How can Westworld resolve directly conflicting guest interactions (other than having the plot simply ignore such possibilities)?
Vulture 420
DEyncourt posted:
Robert B. posted:
DEyncourt posted:

How often have you gone to Disneyland/DisneyWorld/whatever large amusement park which may be close to you? When you do, did you EVER go with the expectation that something there will be vastly different?

While Westworld is much more intricate, it is still an amusement park (albeit one with an incredibly high maintenance budget and likely matched by high entry fees).

I must imagine that there must be SOME guests who fully appreciate the idea of riding to the rescue of Delores' family and just acting out the role of a white hat (<tips hat> "Much obliged for the offer, Miss Delores, but sometimes a man sees a problem and has to do the right thing"), but what happens when the bad guy is The Man in Black? How can Westworld resolve directly conflicting guest interactions (other than having the plot simply ignore such possibilities)?

I bet that's going to be huge point in the series when Ed Harris is forced to interact with a problematic bravado guest. There are many yet unexplained possibilities in this new series because the amusement park concept is far more detailed and expansive than the movie ever was.
Maybe there will be a Westworld scene where two guests are facing each other at noon on the now-deserted dusty main road of Sweetwater, but when the gun duel is done they both walk away laughing at each other:
"I hit you first so -I- won!"
"Nah, ya clean missed me. See: no hole in my shirt!"
"Heh, check your riding chaps...I wasn't going for your heart."
"YOU stick fiddler!"
<both giggle>

But my prediction is that like in the original movie such guest interactions will be largely ignored (other than the Man in Black belligerently shouldering guests and hosts aside) until the android apocalypse begins.
dv
On Netflix, so I'm always a season or two behind. But I finished Bob's Burgers, which I thought was actually pretty excellent.

Started on that new-ish "Supergirl" show. Typical CW fluff.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I started watching The Good Place last night. It's not great, but i haven't deleted the remaining episodes.
DEyncourt posted:

$40,000 a day is what was said in the third episode.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
dv posted:
On Netflix, so I'm always a season or two behind. But I finished Bob's Burgers, which I thought was actually pretty excellent.

The first season or two were on CBS.
Calistta Flockhart makes a decent Perry White
dv
DukeofNuke posted:
dv posted:

The first season or two were on CBS.
Calistta Flockhart makes a decent Perry White

By "CW Fluff" I mean "pretty people acting badly."

But yes, I'm enjoying Ally McBadass.
The CW has Supernatural!
dv
justine posted:
The CW has Supernatural!

I got through not quite the first season. I loved the actors, but the stories/writing was frustrating.
I've seen every season :D
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I used to own a '67 Impala.
pretty sure it was haunted ...
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 36