What TV series are you currently watching?

Music and video: analog or digital
TOS

Post by TOS »

it's been many many years but i could swear that the droids went bonkers due to a computer virus, whereas in the show [spoiler]it's some kind of self-awareness[/spoiler]

i suspect they're going to get into some blade runner [spoiler]this-is-what-it's-like-to-be-a-slave[/spoiler] type stuff

i think it could and should be darker, because let's face it, let people do whatever the hell they want without reprocussion and you'll get an orgy of humpin' and killin' and very little "oh let's admire the historical accuracy"
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Ken Burns' Civil War (1990) I'm watching it in reverse order. It makes more sense to me because each episode provides context to next.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
user
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

TOS wrote: it's been many many years but i could swear that the droids went bonkers due to a computer virus...

Nah, it was just because they were technology run amok. That stuff wuz evil in the late 70s.
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
jkahless
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

Ah. Brooklyn Nine Nine is still by far the funniest show on TV right now.
avkills

Post by avkills »

Been binge watching "24".
"Killing them dead till they believe"
† The Church of Mark †
mmaverick
Title: my steady systematic decline

Post by mmaverick »

jkahless wrote: Ah. Brooklyn Nine Nine is still by far the funniest show on TV right now.

The worst part is not being able to binge it now that I'm caught up.
This post is not racist.
jkahless

Post by jkahless »

Just got through the Vulcan trilogy in enterprise season 4. All of a sudden I'm watching star trek again!
user

Post by user »

watching enterprise myself on hulu

Vulture
Title: 420

Post by Vulture »

TOS wrote:that scandinavian actress is marvelous, just really watchable tv

also i really didn't find it as dark as everyone made it out to be ... it's nowhere near as dark as game of thrones or the zombie shows

Who exactly is that scandinavian actress exactly? Not sure who you mean. Also, just a general aside about Westworld the TV show, it is by now common knowledge and not a spoiler that the Gunslinger analog in the show is a human and not an android even though it seemed ambiguously confusing at first.
Warin

Post by Warin »

user wrote: watching enterprise myself on hulu

I need to pick Enterprise up again. I never watched it at all when it first ran, so I feel the need to watch it :)
I'm sorry Dave...
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

T'pol 4eva
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

I liked Hoshi. Whateva' Whasian. (Blasian...is that a thing...yet?)
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

Ha! I've also been watching Enterprise in fits and starts (interspersed with early episodes of NCIS), and I've made it up to E56 (S3 E1), the beginning of the Xindi storyline.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Vulture

Post by Vulture »

Enterprise was great after the fact on Netflix. The best part was that you could skip over the intro theme song every time.
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

The Night Of

HBO miniseries
user

Post by user »

been a long time gettin from there to here

Yori
Title: Program

Post by Yori »

Zapped. The first episode was pretty funny.
TOS

Post by TOS »

DukeofNuke wrote: Ha! I've also been watching Enterprise in fits and starts (interspersed with early episodes of NCIS), and I've made it up to E56 (S3 E1), the beginning of the Xindi storyline.

proceed no further
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
dv

Post by dv »

TOS wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote: Ha! I've also been watching Enterprise in fits and starts (interspersed with early episodes of NCIS), and I've made it up to E56 (S3 E1), the beginning of the Xindi storyline.

proceed no further

Or skip straight to season 4? There was some good stuff in season 4.
user

Post by user »

ukimalefu wrote: T'pol 4eva

For me, it's less about the boobies than the development of the T'pol character (although she did look fine in that white away mission outfit....yeah now let's talk about Trip's pects).

jkahless

Post by jkahless »

I will say they at least tried to have equal opportunity eye candy. Those starfleet issue boxers are pretty tight.
TOS

Post by TOS »

that show was a catastrophe of missed opportunities
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

Great cast, bad writing. It has to be said, the producers had no vision for doing it correctly.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
Robert
Title: Dandy Highwayman

Post by Robert »

Westworld -- doesn't it seem rather silly for the hosts/androids to be acting out their storylines with each other when their are no humans anywhere within their vicinty?

How often does Dorothy ride home with Teddy to see her father and Teddy get murdered, regardless of whether a human is there to watch and interact?
"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Westworld -- doesn't it seem rather silly for the hosts/androids to be acting out their storylines with each other when their are no humans anywhere within their vicinty?

Actually, no. After all, in the real world there are lots of things going on around you without you interacting with THOSE people. If the hosts were to be shut down whenever all guests leave their area, could they be re-started realistically when any guests do come by?

How often does Dorothy ride home with Teddy to see her father and Teddy get murdered, regardless of whether a human is there to watch and interact?

Apparently every damn day. Being abused is Dolores' set storyline.

-----

At this point I really must insist that Westworld adds some meat to its plot. All of the hinting of apparently more interesting things in its background is OK--even necessary to fill in its backstory--but it has gotten tiresome. I shall give it one more episode before giving up.
Robert

Post by Robert »

DEyncourt wrote: Westworld -- doesn't it seem rather silly for the hosts/androids to be acting out their storylines with each other when their are no humans anywhere within their vicinty?

Actually, no. After all, in the real world there are lots of things going on around you without you interacting with THOSE people. If the hosts were to be shut down whenever all guests leave their area, could they be re-started realistically when any guests do come by?

Right, so every day Teddy and her father get murdered and then in the morning everybody resets. Firstly, that's pretty quick on the repair jobs; I don't know of any IT department that works that fast. Secondly, do all storylines run on the same 24-hour cycle? Does the entire park just reset the same story every damn day? And if they don't, then different androids are running on different time cycles. That seems really incongruous. As a guest, waking up in the morning to see the same scenes acted out in front of me would be jarring. Like I was in the Matrix.
user

Post by user »

Vulture

Post by Vulture »

Big ups to Westworld talking about consciousness within the context of Julian Jaynes and the Bicameral Mind hypothesis and then simply explaining what it means in terms of hearing god voices and then using it in the storyline during a critical point in the episode.
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Robert B. wrote:
DEyncourt wrote: Westworld -- doesn't it seem rather silly for the hosts/androids to be acting out their storylines with each other when their are no humans anywhere within their vicinty?

Right, so every day Teddy and her father get murdered and then in the morning everybody resets. Firstly, that's pretty quick on the repair jobs; I don't know of any IT department that works that fast. Secondly, do all storylines run on the same 24-hour cycle? Does the entire park just reset the same story every damn day? And if they don't, then different androids are running on different time cycles. That seems really incongruous. As a guest, waking up in the morning to see the same scenes acted out in front of me would be jarring. Like I was in the Matrix.

How often have you gone to Disneyland/DisneyWorld/whatever large amusement park which may be close to you? When you do, did you EVER go with the expectation that something there will be vastly different?

While Westworld is much more intricate, it is still an amusement park (albeit one with an incredibly high maintenance budget and likely matched by high entry fees).

I must imagine that there must be SOME guests who fully appreciate the idea of riding to the rescue of Delores' family and just acting out the role of a white hat (<tips hat> "Much obliged for the offer, Miss Delores, but sometimes a man sees a problem and has to do the right thing"), but what happens when the bad guy is The Man in Black? How can Westworld resolve directly conflicting guest interactions (other than having the plot simply ignore such possibilities)?
Vulture

Post by Vulture »

DEyncourt wrote:
Robert B. wrote:

How often have you gone to Disneyland/DisneyWorld/whatever large amusement park which may be close to you? When you do, did you EVER go with the expectation that something there will be vastly different?

While Westworld is much more intricate, it is still an amusement park (albeit one with an incredibly high maintenance budget and likely matched by high entry fees).

I must imagine that there must be SOME guests who fully appreciate the idea of riding to the rescue of Delores' family and just acting out the role of a white hat (<tips hat> "Much obliged for the offer, Miss Delores, but sometimes a man sees a problem and has to do the right thing"), but what happens when the bad guy is The Man in Black? How can Westworld resolve directly conflicting guest interactions (other than having the plot simply ignore such possibilities)?

I bet that's going to be huge point in the series when Ed Harris is forced to interact with a problematic bravado guest. There are many yet unexplained possibilities in this new series because the amusement park concept is far more detailed and expansive than the movie ever was.
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Maybe there will be a Westworld scene where two guests are facing each other at noon on the now-deserted dusty main road of Sweetwater, but when the gun duel is done they both walk away laughing at each other:
"I hit you first so -I- won!"
"Nah, ya clean missed me. See: no hole in my shirt!"
"Heh, check your riding chaps...I wasn't going for your heart."
"YOU stick fiddler!"
<both giggle>

But my prediction is that like in the original movie such guest interactions will be largely ignored (other than the Man in Black belligerently shouldering guests and hosts aside) until the android apocalypse begins.
dv

Post by dv »

On Netflix, so I'm always a season or two behind. But I finished Bob's Burgers, which I thought was actually pretty excellent.

Started on that new-ish "Supergirl" show. Typical CW fluff.
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

I started watching The Good Place last night. It's not great, but i haven't deleted the remaining episodes.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
Robert

Post by Robert »

DEyncourt wrote:How often have you gone to Disneyland/DisneyWorld/whatever large amusement park which may be close to you? When you do, did you EVER go with the expectation that something there will be vastly different?

$40,000 a day is what was said in the third episode.
DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

dv wrote: On Netflix, so I'm always a season or two behind. But I finished Bob's Burgers, which I thought was actually pretty excellent.

The first season or two were on CBS.
Calistta Flockhart makes a decent Perry White

dv

Post by dv »

DukeofNuke wrote:
dv wrote: On Netflix, so I'm always a season or two behind. But I finished Bob's Burgers, which I thought was actually pretty excellent.

The first season or two were on CBS.
Calistta Flockhart makes a decent Perry White

By "CW Fluff" I mean "pretty people acting badly."

But yes, I'm enjoying Ally McBadass.
justine

Post by justine »

The CW has Supernatural!
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
dv

Post by dv »

justine wrote: The CW has Supernatural!

I got through not quite the first season. I loved the actors, but the stories/writing was frustrating.
justine

Post by justine »

I've seen every season :D

DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

I used to own a '67 Impala.
pretty sure it was haunted ...