What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Online now: DEyncourt, Google [Bot], kamizuno, Warin
TOS
also watching the punisher, really liking it

i was expecting just blood and guts but it's got lots of character development

i mean that's not to say there's brain matter in pretty much every episode so far, but still
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
also watching the punisher, really liking it

i was expecting just blood and guts but it's got lots of character development

i mean that's not to say there's brain matter in pretty much every episode so far, but still

I watched the whole season last weekend.
Liked it.
DEyncourt posted:
Mythbusters, season 15, episode 1: Heads Will Roll (Sci AKA The Science Channel, 2017).

[snip]

It took me a while but I think that what at least this first show was missing was the science.

[snip]

I will continue to watch at least for a few more episode hoping that they might improve.

The second episode--Chimney Cannon--was MUCH better on the science part.

The myths to be busted were:
1) could a burglar be "cannoned" out of a chimney? Answer: no.
and
2) could a logger be killed by a bullet lodged inside a tree that he is cutting apart with a chain saw? Answer: not very likely. Perhaps injured by the bullet but even under rather idealized and supersized conditions the speed doesn't approach even "slow" muzzle speeds from any gun.

For the titled chimney cannon, the situation is a house in a rural location which has a propane-powered fireplace. Lung and Louden spent a lot of time explaining this then figuring out for themselves a good mixture for propane-to-air (5%) rather than looking this up on Wikipedia with small test setups, then spent some time on the chimney build explaining some of their problems while doing this, then supersizing this mythbusting by using a propane-oxygen mixture.

For the logger bullet, they first put together a remote setup where a chainsaw could saw through a piece of foam with a clear piece of plastic pressed against it so that a high-speed camera could show what would happen to a bullet "lodged" in that foam. With this Louden and Lung found that a bullet lodged in the middle must get dragged by the chainsaw until close to the surface when a tooth in the chainsaw could catch the bullet enough to drag it out but basically only tumbling it out far too slowly to kill, maybe only enough to bruise. From this they determined that an idealized situation would require a bullet that was very close to the surface.

They also explained that while the speed of the teeth of the chainsaw was a factor, the actual speed of an emerging bullet could be different due to how it reacts to being hit by those teeth.

They spent quite some time shooting logs only to be surprised by how much wood was required (most of their rounds went through their attempts), so while they got the desired lodged bullets they supposed that what might have happened is that bullet could have ricocheted off something in order to so lodged into a tree.

They spent some time trying to locate a bullet inside a log making use of an outside expert to do this, then carefully cut away enough of the log so they could put it inside the rig above for recording the bullet being ejected by a chainsaw. Then they supersized this by bringing in another expert who had a small motorcycle engine converted to a chain saw which had teeth which moved at four times the speed that their off-the-shelf chainsaw was capable of.

I was more than satisfied with this week's science inclusion.
Started with a Thanksgiving episode, then ended up watching a crap ton of Dharma and Greg on youtube.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Gotham.
When I recorded The Orville, I noticed that it would record the last 5 or 10 minutes of Gotham, and after a couple of episodes I thought it looked pretty good, so I started watching.
I like it.I'm looking forward to Bruce and Alfred coming up with the bat motif, and I think that when that happens they will finally introduce The Joker, and it will be great watching him take Gotham from Penguin.
Did Gotham go into reruns? The last episode I watched (recorded Thanksgiving night) seemed out of order with the ones I had seen previously.
We had stopped Daredevil s2 at some point and never got back to it, but we finally decided to finish that, rewatched Jessica Jones, and now are watching Luke Cage. We'll try Iron Fist and Defenders after that, but I hear Iron Fist is really boring. And then Punisher.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
DukeofNuke posted:
Gotham.
When I recorded The Orville, I noticed that it would record the last 5 or 10 minutes of Gotham, and after a couple of episodes I thought it looked pretty good, so I started watching.
I like it.I'm looking forward to Bruce and Alfred coming up with the bat motif, and I think that when that happens they will finally introduce The Joker, and it will be great watching him take Gotham from Penguin.
Did Gotham go into reruns? The last episode I watched (recorded Thanksgiving night) seemed out of order with the ones I had seen previously.

I have really enjoyed Gotham.
I have what may sound like a rather generic question, but what programs do services like Netflix offer?

I tried looking this up on their web site, but there does not appear to ANY sort of list which can explain how a given program is a "Netflix exclusive" versus another which is available through Netflix but can be viewed through other services. About the ONLY thing that Netflix seems to offer is a free month for a trial subscription. Sure, I do know that "Stranger Things" is one such exclusive on Netflix, but there is the possibility that I might not find that program sufficiently interesting to watch so I would like to know what ELSE is available.

Hulu has pretty much the same problem. I know that "A Handmaiden's Tale" is their production but again I might not find it enough to justify a subscription to Hulu. Again what their ONLY offering seems to be a free month for a trial subscription.

Of course these are only two services which I can name off the top of my head. Are there others that have slipped from my memory? And where can I find THEIR lists of their exclusive offerings?

Yeah, I am seriously considering cutting off my AT&T U-verse TV channels in favor of beefing up ONLY their Internet service to compensate for the increased usage of rather more limited providers like Netflix. Yeah, I know that this might be a bad idea considering how the FCC MIGHT change net neutrality, but I suspect that even with somewhat higher costs for services like Netflix that my overall cable TV bill will be lower since I MIGHT be able to better pick-n-choose what I want through such services. Perhaps following (I think) dv's practice of only ordering HBO when NEW Game of Thrones is available via Hulu (I think).

But first I would like to know what I CAN get.
ukimalefu Never had a facebook account
THE Marvel shows to watch are exclusive to netflix I believe. (but I do like agents of shield too)
user Stupid cockwomble
Hulu has enough for me to keep subscribing to it - that's where I watch Agents of SHIELD, for example. I have Playstation Vue as well. They just raised the rate so I'm looking to a switch to Hulu's live tv service but Playstation has been paying the cable access fees so I've been watching a lot on the ABC, TBS, TNT and FX apps. I'll to check if Hulu is doing that.

I use the stand-alone HBO app whenever GoT is on rather than going through Hulu. Same price, easy to cancel.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
DEyncourt posted:
I have what may sound like a rather generic question, but what programs do services like Netflix offer?

I tried looking this up on their web site, but there does not appear to ANY sort of list which can explain how a given program is a "Netflix exclusive" versus another which is available through Netflix but can be viewed through other services. About the ONLY thing that Netflix seems to offer is a free month for a trial subscription. Sure, I do know that "Stranger Things" is one such exclusive on Netflix, but there is the possibility that I might not find that program sufficiently interesting to watch so I would like to know what ELSE is available.

Hulu has pretty much the same problem. I know that "A Handmaiden's Tale" is their production but again I might not find it enough to justify a subscription to Hulu. Again what their ONLY offering seems to be a free month for a trial subscription.

Of course these are only two services which I can name off the top of my head. Are there others that have slipped from my memory? And where can I find THEIR lists of their exclusive offerings?

Yeah, I am seriously considering cutting off my AT&T U-verse TV channels in favor of beefing up ONLY their Internet service to compensate for the increased usage of rather more limited providers like Netflix. Yeah, I know that this might be a bad idea considering how the FCC MIGHT change net neutrality, but I suspect that even with somewhat higher costs for services like Netflix that my overall cable TV bill will be lower since I MIGHT be able to better pick-n-choose what I want through such services. Perhaps following (I think) dv's practice of only ordering HBO when NEW Game of Thrones is available via Hulu (I think).

But first I would like to know what I CAN get.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_Netflix
It's actually quite a lot from Netflix, more than any cable network I imagine.
macnuke Afar
My wife and I have been watching Frank and family bring on totally new meanings to the word
Shameless
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1586680/
Metacell posted:
[snip]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_Netflix
It's actually quite a lot from Netflix, more than any cable network I imagine.

Ah, thanks. Yeah, Wikipedia. Image You are right: there is a lot there so it will take a while just to process that list in detail.

But you would think that Netflix itself should be interested in such self-promotion rather than relying upon others to provide this info.
dv
DEyncourt posted:
But you would think that Netflix itself should be interested in such self-promotion rather than relying upon others to provide this info.

They advertise here and there. But ultimately, I bet more people sign up to watch shows because their friend says "Dude, you have to watch Punisher. It was stick fiddling awesome." that sign up because of a sign they saw on a bus stop.
Curb Your Enthusiasm, last season (Emule) Larry has written a Broadway musical called 'Fatwa!" about Salman Rushdie (who appears in an episode). Larry is then the subject of a fatwa himself. Apart from that plot arc he generally is aggravated by, or aggravates everyone else around him.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Just finished Gunpowder on HBO, about the Gunpowder Plot and features Jon Snow. It started off pretty good, but the third and final episode really failed to deliver.
macnuke Afar
Suits

from the beginning... haven't seen any till we started last week.
Yori Program
The Ranch on Netflix
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Yori posted:
The Ranch on Netflix

I'm going to quit watching it soon. I know season 4 is coming, but once i get to where Danny Masterson is no longer in it, then i'm out.
Catching up on all my recorded Huang's World.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
X-Files. Last episode was the nutz.
Sherlock.
I find it charmless. Seeing Holmes using smart phones and Google just doesn't seem right.
user Stupid cockwomble
Sherlock is worth watching if you can get past that. The addiction thread is a bit tedious and it's continually startling to see people not knowing who he is but I managed to really get into the series.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I liked Sherlock. Lots of Easter Eggs if you know the stories.
user Stupid cockwomble
BBC's Sherlock also uses his phone quite a bit. You'd expect a genius to take advantage of a hand held portable computer.
Tweet: Neil deGrasse Tyson announces "COSMOS: Possible Worlds" for spring 2019.
Donkey Butter jerk face
The Last Man On Earth (Netflix)

it's stupid but I find it funny
TOS
got back into peaky fookin' blinders after a long absence ... way more dramz than season 1 but i'm really digging it
macnuke Afar
user posted:
BBC's Sherlock also uses his phone quite a bit. You'd expect a genius to take advantage of a hand held portable computer.

While Sherlock--regardless of the version's era--relied upon a lot of outside sources for INFORMATION like his Baker Street Irregulars, his weapon to create coherence from that chaos was his brain.

Having read the Complete Sherlock Holmes I admired the BBC's Sherlock because it MOSTLY adapted snippets if not whole stories from the Doyle canon to the modern era, often in surprising and brilliant ways, AND corrected the Rathbone movie version of Holmes (which I grew up with) by making Dr. Watson an intelligent and interesting character--which IS canon--instead of that movie series' dotard. Unfortunately in BBC's last season for that first part: not so much.
Finished the Sherlock series and I still say it's charmless.

There is an unaired pilot episode that is the same script as the first episode of the first series with the same cast, Study In Pink, but it it half an hour shorter with no mention of Moriarty or Mycroft. It is a single, stand alone story and is far better.
ukimalefu Never had a facebook account
Ribtor posted:

I like ALL versions of Sherlock Holmes I've seen. I liked Young Sherlock Holmes, I like Sherlock, I like Elementary, I like the Robert Downey Jr movies.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Godless (Netflix)
I think the Western genre for whatever reason lends itself to an extremely wide variety of storytelling, and this series does a pretty good job of exploiting that.
The characters are pretty good throughout, some skirt too close to the popular archetype, but not offensively so.
I'm finishing up The Unabomber and The Ranch. I likely won't continue watching The Ranch due to the firing of Danny Masterson.
Ribtor posted:

There is an unaired pilot episode that is the same script as the first episode of the first series with the same cast, Study In Pink, but it it half an hour shorter with no mention of Moriarty or Mycroft. It is a single, stand alone story and is far better.

That's odd. I've always seen Study in Pink as simply the first episode of Sherlock. At least that was the way it was presented on PBS' Mystery in the US.

That episode is a DIRECT modern adaption of the FIRST Holmes story, A Study in Scarlet, so it predates Doyle's creation of Mycroft and Moriarty.
DEyncourt posted:
Ribtor posted:

That's odd. I've always seen Study in Pink as simply the first episode of Sherlock. At least that was the way it was presented on PBS' Mystery in the US.

That episode is a DIRECT modern adaption of the FIRST Holmes story, A Study in Scarlet, so it predates Doyle's creation of Mycroft and Moriarty.

There's two versions of the pilot episode.

They have padded the stories with loads of emotional and psychological stuff well beyond Conan Doyle's Victorian style. They went well beyond updating Conan Doyle. They laid it on with a shovel.
jkahless Custom Title
The one thing that bugs the hell out of me with the BBC Sherlock is like the original, it's Sherlock doesn't care about social convention, but unlike the original, he has no conception of the value of acting like he cares. It makes him a much less interesting character.
Yori Program
The Mash Report.

If you have a way to download programmes from iPlayer I can highly recommend it. :)
Series 7 of Death In Paradise. They have run out of plots and are actually re-using stories from earlier series. Don't bother with it. Joséphine Jobert may be a goddess but she's mostly just there to nod. They should have stopped when Ben Miller left.

Frankie And Grace. Requires patience to get through the first season but it gets better. Jane Fonda, Lilly Tomlin, Sam Waterston and Martin Sheen, so there's that.
TOS
justine posted:
I'm finishing up The Unabomber and The Ranch. I likely won't continue watching The Ranch due to the firing of Danny Masterson.

because of the firing or because of the reason for the firing?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18