What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Online now: No visible users
user Stupid cockwomble
must have been really odd seeing them at the same role
dv
Just started Alpha House.

Oh my god Bill Murray. He's not in the rest of the show, though. :(
Séamas Honorary Consul General
chikie posted:
TOS posted:
the crown

loving it

Just binged it.

I think Matt Smith does a pretty incredible portrayal of Philip. All the actors, really.

I watched it 2-3 episodes at a time a few weeks ago. Nice series, fantastic looking show too. Claire Foy is fantastic.
Almost makes my sympathetic with the stupid monarchy.

I just watched House of Cards (first series)--the BBC version from the 1990s.
Naturally has a very different feel from the Netflix one with Kevin Spacey.
Ian Richardson is amazing. His Francis Urquhart is almost fun compared to Spacey's Frank Underwood--who comes off as menacing and slippery from the get-go. The BBC versions seems a bit more light--and not in a bad way.
I very much liked the first season or so of the Netflix version, there was more tension and something compelling about it. Unfortunately as the seasons went on, the scenarios got more ridiculous (or boring), and really tanked in the 4th season
I'm interested in how the second and third series of the BBC program progress.
Usually, BBC series' are shorter than U.S. series' so they don't have to pad out the show with sub-par story lines to keep things going. This is especially apparent in comedies. It's not a rule; when it fails it fails hard - Little Britain, for example.
TOS
Séamas posted:
chikie posted:
TOS posted:
the crown

loving it

Just binged it.

I think Matt Smith does a pretty incredible portrayal of Philip. All the actors, really.

I watched it 2-3 episodes at a time a few weeks ago. Nice series, fantastic looking show too. Claire Foy is fantastic.
Almost makes my sympathetic with the stupid monarchy.

I just watched House of Cards (first series)--the BBC version from the 1990s.
Naturally has a very different feel from the Netflix one with Kevin Spacey.
Ian Richardson is amazing. His Francis Urquhart is almost fun compared to Spacey's Frank Underwood--who comes off as menacing and slippery from the get-go. The BBC versions seems a bit more light--and not in a bad way.
I very much liked the first season or so of the Netflix version, there was more tension and something compelling about it. Unfortunately as the seasons went on, the scenarios got more ridiculous (or boring), and really tanked in the 4th season
I'm interested in how the second and third series of the BBC program progress.

yeah they should have quit when he became prez
TOS
taboo

early days yet but i dig it

quite dark but a really interesting look at how people were in those days (london, early 1800s, just after the napoleonic wars)

tom hardy as always is at his brooding best, while johnathan pryce as head of the east india company is very scary

worth checking out

protip: keep the volume high as they mumble a lot
TOS posted:
taboo

early days yet but i dig it

quite dark but a really interesting look at how people were in those days (london, early 1800s, just after the napoleonic wars)

tom hardy as always is at his brooding best, while johnathan pryce as head of the east india company is very scary

worth checking out

protip: keep the volume high as they mumble a lot

Been trying it too.
Agree sound is total human waste but otherwise it's interesting so far.
dv
Alpha House.

I really like Laffer. His sensitivity and self-awareness make him more sympathetic than the other characters (who seem more caricatured.)

I'm only on episode 6 though, so I hope they don't ruin it.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Gonna start Sneaky Pete pretty soon.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
DukeofNuke posted:
Travelers (Netflix)
First episode looks promising.

Finally finished it. Not bad, I guess.
Not engaging enough to elicit a spontaneous binge, but I kept coming back to find out what happened.
Synopsis: Time travelers from the future on a mission to save the world transfer their consciousness into people in this time, a-la Quantum Leap. They have to assume the identities of the people whose lives they assume as well as carry out their missions; but despite their best efforts (and plot holes you can drive a train through), they keep fucking-up both the missions and their new personal lives.
user Stupid cockwomble
At least Bakula looked good in a dress.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Anyone watching The Young Pope?
Donkey Butter jerk face
Daredevil (Netflix). I was never really interested in him but I am enjoying the series.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Robert B. posted:
Anyone watching The Young Pope?

First episode, and I set the DVR, but I haven't found the opportunity to get back to it yet.
TOS
going through ds9 again ... still fab, still love it

it would be great if they were to remaster it, i can't handle the aspect ratio
user Stupid cockwomble
we don't discuss the aspect ratio
dv
Started on Torchwood.

It's good.
TOS posted:

They won't remaster it, because it would cost too much

http://www.treknews.net/2017/02/02/why- ... lu-ray-hd/
Now watching season 4 of Ripper Street. Which is like if Charles Dickens wrote for CSI.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

that was actually quite an interesting article
obvs Eclipse? Meh.
dv posted:
Started on Torchwood.

It's good.
Until they briing it to the U.S..
Westworld.

Unpleasant through and through.

The corporate characters are cartoonishly drawn.

Like so much action entertainment of the last few years the violence is ramped up to sadistic cruelty. I don't find that entertaining. In fact I think there's something fundamentally wrong going on.

Many scenes are so padded to stretch out the running time they become painful to watch. Gratuitous nudity, also to keep the audience I guess.

The basic story has been told many times in books,film and TV so it's no longer original.

They obviously spent a lot of money to make the series.

Good cast do a fine job with the material such as it is.

If my criticisms merely point out the producer's intent, that doesn't make it any better.
TOS
Ribtor posted:
Westworld.

Unpleasant through and through.

The corporate characters are cartoonishly drawn.

Like so much action entertainment of the last few years the violence is ramped up to sadistic cruelty. I don't find that entertaining. In fact I think there's something fundamentally wrong going on.

Many scenes are so padded to stretch out the running time they become painful to watch. Gratuitous nudity, also to keep the audience I guess.

The basic story has been told many times in books,film and TV so it's no longer original.

They obviously spent a lot of money to make the series.

Good cast do a fine job with the material such as it is.

If my criticisms merely point out the producer's intent, that doesn't make it any better.

so ... you loved it?
I just started watching Westworld. I think it needs better pacing, but one aspect I like is the sort of religious mythologies that it seems to reference back to with past lives, fate, determinism, demons, angels, and benevolent and malevolent creators/watchers.
I appreciated two things; one minor and one central.

I noticed that very briefly in a shadow the Yul Brynner gunslinger character from '73 flashes by. That was a rare light touch in a series that took itself way too seriously.

Secondly, Julian Jaynes' Bicameral Mind theory plays a pivotal role in the plot. Bicameralism is mentioned in one of the interminable expositions that run through the series.

It was two hours of solid material dragged out to ten.
It could have used a little more gratuitous nudity, if you ask me.
juice Inadvertently correct
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

Agreed, though the nerd fanboi in me is devastated at the prospect of no Seven of Nine in HD.
TOS
juice posted:
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

Agreed, though the nerd fanboi in me is devastated at the prospect of no Seven of Nine in HD.

i find myself wondering if, instead of remastering the whole series, they could take original footage, combine it with new cgi, and make a feature film or two
dv
TOS posted:
juice posted:
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

i find myself wondering if, instead of remastering the whole series, they could take original footage, combine it with new cgi, and make a feature film or two

As much as I'd like to see a Dominion War movie. Or movie trilogy. No. It's not even the acting, abridged scripts, or 40 minute plotlines. It's the stunts. There's not enough gun-kata or waif-fu in all of Star Trek to make a believable Summer Blockbuster Of Doom™.

Now, for your viewing enjoyment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AphxyjrH4SE
Metacell Akashic Space Warrior
In 5-10 years there will be a cheap automated process. In 20, there will a complete 3D holographic conversion of everything.
TOS
dv posted:
TOS posted:
juice posted:
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

As much as I'd like to see a Dominion War movie. Or movie trilogy. No. It's not even the acting, abridged scripts, or 40 minute plotlines. It's the stunts. There's not enough gun-kata or waif-fu in all of Star Trek to make a believable Summer Blockbuster Of Doom™.

i wasn't thinking of a theatrical relese, more like netflix type deal

:: guts dv with weird vulcan clubbing blade, ends fight in seconds ::
dv
TOS posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:
juice posted:
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

i wasn't thinking of a theatrical relese, more like netflix type deal

:: guts dv with weird vulcan clubbing blade, ends fight in seconds ::

Ah. Well, yeah, if they made a direct-to-Netflix remastered version of Best of Both Worlds and the Dominion War, I'd be all over that human waste.
The Good Place. Fun.
Mars, a National Geographic "docu-drama" 6 episode miniseries. Very cool.
Donkey Butter jerk face
The 100.

have any of you watched this?

I'm on season 3
user Stupid cockwomble
Have it on DVD. Good, but never quite finished the set. I have the Ivy theme song on my iPod.
Donkey Butter posted:
The 100.

have any of you watched this?

I'm on season 3

I like it
Atlanta.
Donald Glover is quite a talent. Ten stories about a guy who needs money and just doesn't get the world he lives in.
TOS
just finishing season two of black sails

pretty good, i guess, but it's a bit soap opera-y
Watched a couple of episodes of ABD. Wow, that was fuckin' dumb. Wannabe Tony Stark angel funds a police precinct with a lot of new gizmos and weapons -- and no additional officer training pay -- to take out bad guys.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13