What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13
Online now: DEyncourt, Google [Bot], maurvir
Vulture 420
DEyncourt posted:
LOST lost me at--I think--the end of the first episode of the second season where the viewers saw the "reset" given that there was a whole very civilized village of the Others on a nearby island who were set to act when Oceanic 815 crashed. While that opened quite a number of new questions to be asked such as "How was it set up that the jetliner would crash on that island next to the island with the Others?", I just mentally threw up my hands in frustration that I had wasted so much time watching the first season then speculating about the show.

Considering that THAT series went on to complete a total of six seasons, apparently there were (are?) a LOT of people still wondering what was going to happen next.

LOST lost me at the nighttime soap opera production and acting (which I'm sure is just what was called for, not the fault of any actors). I'm still intrigued by Westworld because of the metaphorical writing even if it has technical trip-ups, seemingly flawless production and special effects, and top notch acting. If it was the exact same script but it looked like LOST I doubt I'd get past episode 1. Have you all seen episode 7 yet? They finally reveal a real hum dinger and what I think is a HUGE clue in the words Ford uses when talking to Theresa Cullen, although there is a lot more going on that is set up to surprise viewers when they get around to telling it. Why do I care? Unlike LOST, there is a very tight and concise storyline here hopefully written with the intention of lasting however many seasons this goes on for as opposed to being "lost" in what do to because the show has been unexpectedly renewed after everything exciting has been told.
juice Inadvertently correct
I only remember partially watching the first episode, because the wife was watching it and I was in the room.

I found something better to do.
ukimalefu Pondering
Class

A Doctor Who spinoff. It happens in the high school Clara Oswald used to work at.

SPOILER ALERT

Things I didn't expect to see in A Doctor Who spinoff:

-Lots of gore

-A naked man (from behind)
TOS
lost had the same problem as battlestar galactica, x-files and a whole host of other shows: no overall plan, making crap up as they went along and just being about a single teasing secret
ukimalefu posted:
Class

A Doctor Who spinoff. It happens in the high school Clara Oswald used to work at.

SPOILER ALERT

-Lots of gore

Torchwood's like that too.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I am watching The Grand Tour
Metacell Branch Dravidian
ukimalefu posted:
Class

SPOILER ALERT

-Lots of gore

Just FYI, it occurs in the same school that The Doctor's granddaughter attended in 1963.

Class is hit-and-miss for me, but I really liked the most recent episode.
TOS posted:
lost had the same problem as battlestar galactica, x-files and a whole host of other shows: no overall plan, making crap up as they went along and just being about a single teasing secret

towards the end of the series that was xfiles with the smoking man but before they went down that route it was a good show that followed the format ncis and csi copied, solve a case each episode. i especially liked all the episodes that had monsters/creatures.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:

The problem Lost and BSG shared was being so slow that even an "action" episode was tedious. BSG at least seemed to have some idea what it wanted to be, turns out that Lost never had a plan at all which makes me really wonder how the shows producers ever even sold it to the network, I mean...what was the pitch they used?
"an airliner crashes on an island and weird stuff happens"?
dv
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

The problem Lost and BSG shared was being so slow that even an "action" episode was tedious. BSG at least seemed to have some idea what it wanted to be, turns out that Lost never had a plan at all which makes me really wonder how the shows producers ever even sold it to the network, I mean...what was the pitch they used?

BSG didn't either, they just faked it better.

I honestly don't know why that happens. You'd think producers would have an idea where they want the story to end up, but I guess with so many shows cancelled halfway through the first season, there's no point to pitching that far ahead into the future. So that's my theory.
dv posted:
[snip]
You'd think producers would have an idea where they want the story to end up, but I guess with so many shows cancelled halfway through the first season, there's no point to pitching that far ahead into the future. So that's my theory.

True enough. Supposedly Joss Whedon had ideas planned for the second and THIRD season of Firefly and look at what that effort got him (not sure if any of them were used in the movie except for the idea that Book would leave the crew at some point).
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
dv posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

BSG didn't either, they just faked it better.

I honestly don't know why that happens. You'd think producers would have an idea where they want the story to end up, but I guess with so many shows cancelled halfway through the first season, there's no point to pitching that far ahead into the future. So that's my theory.

That, and/or the producers plan out, say a 30 episode story, and then the network comes knocking, "It's a hit! We need another 20 episodes!"
ukimalefu Pondering
People of Earth

Sci-Fi comedy about a support group for alien abductees.
Black Mirror.
Created by Charlie Brooker. "If technology is a drug, what are the side effects?"
Ribtor posted:
Black Mirror.
Created by Charlie Brooker. "If technology is a drug, what are the side effects?"

There hasn't been a bad episode of Black Mirror yet. It is brilliantly cynical.
Yori Program
If you like Charlie Brooker then I seriously recommend torrenting A Touch of Cloth.
Thanks, I will get that.
A Touch Of Cloth is 'Airplane' plus Mad Magazine parodies. It's great.

Police procedurals are so cliche ridden that even serious ones are parodies of the genre. So to to really make fun, you have to go right over the top.
TOS
"goodbye, bernard"
user Stupid cockwomble
Spent Thanksgiving holidays watching The Strain on Hulu. Starts out as a plague story, turns very quickly into a modern vampire tale.

Stupid kid really started to human waste me off. Hope he gets wacked.
maurvir Perfectly balanced - mostly
user posted:

For some reason, this comment reminded me of The Blair Witch project. I was so annoyed that it took as long as it did for the witch to end those morons that I was far more irritated than "scared" by the end of the film. :goth:
TOS
dv
I just watched the second DVD (episodes 3 and 4) of The Richard Pryor Show.

It was actually brilliant, and one skit made me tear up a little bit.

Unfortunately, disk 3 was cracked and disk 1 is "availability unknown." Netflix. :\
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
user posted:

For some reason, this comment reminded me of The Blair Witch project. I was so annoyed that it took as long as it did for the witch to end those morons that I was far more irritated than "scared" by the end of the film. :goth:

I made it all of 15 minutes into The Blair Witch project before the whole shtick wore out its welcome.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:
user posted:

I made it all of 15 minutes into The Blair Witch project before the whole shtick wore out its welcome.

I made it zero minutes, as I never wanted to see that POS. Same with Titanic.
maurvir Perfectly balanced - mostly
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:
user posted:

If I hadn't been there with friends, I wouldn't have made it more than 15 minutes either. Nothing like peer pressure to get you to sit though a movie that could almost take the chrome off a trailer hitch. The same thing happened with Battlefield Earth - to the point I nearly went to the manager to ask for my money back.
TOS posted:
"goodbye, bernard"

yeah, i'm done with this show now. mind stick fiddled me enough. mb once the final season airs in a few yrs ill binge the the entire thing
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Started watching 3% on Netflix. Neat story, but I would definitely recommend the sub titles instead of the English dubbing.
mmaverick posted:
Started watching 3% on Netflix. Neat story, but I would definitely recommend the sub titles instead of the English dubbing.

I almost started to watch that but chose not to because I guessed I would want to watch the sub version and I wanted something on that I could mostly just listen to while working and stuff.

This week I watched Glitch. Kinda in the spirit of the Returned, but has its own take and vibe. First couple episodes were okay, but by the fourth it was getting really good. Only 6 total, next season is supposed to be filming now.
user Stupid cockwomble
Oh, a breakout show from Zoey Deschanel's Wizard of Oz?
Hmm. It is an Australian tv show...
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
Zoey Deschanel's Wizard of Oz

I thought that was pretty good
user Stupid cockwomble
I've got it on DVD!
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Yay!
I like Neal McDonough in whatever he's in,
and Zoey ...
:awe:
TOS
TOS posted:

Did you doubt it? I can't wait for the Power Man/Iron Fist Marvel Team Up!
user Stupid cockwomble
What? Oh, netflicks.
Based on current politics, they should change their name to Netflux.
dv
TOS posted:

No surprise, but getting it confirmed is still... well... "Sweet Christmas."
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Watched the History Channel's remake of "Roots." I enjoyed the first episode, the second was overly sentimental. The third and fourth kind of ran through historical events as the show tried to hold to the narrative. Way too much time spent on rooster fighting.

The holes in the stories of the characters and families, I assume are to correspond to the gaps and holes in their history. People lost from the family tree.

I never saw the original in its entirety, so I can't make a comparison.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13