What TV series are you currently watching?

Music and video: analog or digital
Séamas
Title: Honorary Consul General

Post by Séamas »

Queens Gambit.
Very well produced, great sets and the actress, and her gigantic eyes are well suited for the part--especially when he peers at the opponent.

It is interesting that the other chess players are genuinely able to drop their sexist skepticism about her once she defeats them. Nice that this is a self contained series. At least I home they don't try a second season.

And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
TOS

Post by TOS »

wandavision finale

awesome

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

Has anyone watched Banshee? It was recommended and i think it's not new.

"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

Metacell wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:03 am
j_tso wrote:

I've revisited Ultraman over the holidays and found out Tsuburaya Productions made a web series on their youtube channel.
It's mainly Ultramen and monsters in front of green screens, and they brought back a lot of the ones from the pre-2000 shows which made my day.
There are also a couple complete episodes of the newer stuff.

Yeah I'm watching that, but I'm bummed to have missed Ultraman Z which was previously going out under that channel, which is the latest full series but filmed more in tribute to the style of the old series.

Just thought I'd mention, if you subscribe to the Tsubaraya Ultraman Official channel, you can still watch Ultraman Z (English subtitles), they'll enable a new episode for you each week. It's pretty fun...lot's of classic monsters, including ones from Ultra Q. It's still rubber costumes, but some of the scene compositing and effects have come a long way. They've given a sense of humor to the human characters.

Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

'The weird IP story of the forgotten "Blazing Saddles" TV spin-off'. YouTube sampler at link.

I'm not actually watching this because apparently only the pilot of this TV series based on Blazing Saddles made it to air in 1975--I could have watched this but completely missed it--but Warner Brothers did this as an attempt to retain the rights to make a Blazing Saddles sequel because of a contractual clause that Mel Brook's lawyers put into his contract with Warner Brothers. By 1979--after FOUR YEARS of production--Warner Brothers decided that the market had passed for a sequel movie and stopped the production of "Black Bart".

The sample is appallingly bad. On the other hand, the maker of that video could have selected the worst segments BUT I have the feeling that he may have tried to find the "best".

Robert
Title: Dandy Highwayman

Post by Robert »

Finished season 2 of The Knick. The show died prematurely, pun intended — glad to read that its cancellation is being reversed.

OMG, you gotta watch Them on Amazon Prime. Holy fiddlesticks.

"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Avenue 5 (HBO, eMule)

Re-watching it. It's much better the second time. I was disappointed at first viewing. I love Ianucci's comedy. I still would have preferred Matt Berry over Josh Gadd but he's still fine as Judd. Sometimes giving a show a chance pays off.

Pyke notte thy nostrellys
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Detroiters (Comedy Central, eMule) Two idiots run an ad agency in Detroit. Not a fan of comedy that completely relies on how infantile the protagonists are. Wears thin in a hurry.

TOS

Post by TOS »

working my way through the sopranos

so frigging great ... loved the pine barrens episode

oh and the italian intervention, holy human waste

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
justine

Post by justine »

Loved The Sopranos!

"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

The Nevers, HBO on Sundays. Do note that the new episode on 4/25 will be the third one so it should be easy to catch up.

It stars Laura Donnelly as Amalia True, the leader of a sanitarium/sanctuary for women who find themselves "Touched" with different abilities in the year 1899. Some women have a simple aberration such as one girl who is merely freakishly tall, standing about 11 feet in height. Others have weird abilities such as Penance Adair (played by Ann Skelly, the second female lead) who can remotely sense electricity and has combined this with a considerable talent in the general sciences to become an inventor of all manner of gadgets (hmm...so Penance is Artemus Gordon to Amalia's Jim West).

I should preface the above with explaining a short insert at the start of the pilot episode where something cruised the skies over London in 1896. My scale might be off since most the views of it were in the foreground, but I would guess it to be about the size of an aircraft carrier. It was seen by many people and (maybe?) it crashed somewhere near central London and is generally blamed for beginning the troubles in London because soon after this the "Touched" began to appear in the general population.

There are a relatively few men who were similarly affected, but of course in late-Victorian Britain men could get away with much more than any woman can.

Amalia is faced by pressures from several fronts. One is the conservative British government which dislikes anything which could disrupt the status quo. There is also Maladie (played by Amy Manson), a madwoman who has gone on several killing sprees (which of course prejudices the authorities against even Amalia's constructive efforts). Maladie is also backed by a mad scientist who was kidnapping Touched women and performed live experiments upon them in an effort to figure out how they had their abilities.

I am still uncertain about this Joss Whedon creation but I am sufficiently interested to continue watching. The IMDB.com entry implies that there have been only 6 episodes made but it isn't clear if that number is the full count for the first season or only that season so far.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

I watched the third episode of The Nevers. Still interesting but I'm still not yet at a committed level.

There is some back history between Amalia and Maladie which so far has only been vaguely alluded to when those two characters interacted with each other in second episode. My guess would be that

Spoiler

during the three years between when the ship appeared over London and 1899 Amalia and Maladie--BOTH under different names--had been closely associated (lovers?) but Amalia's Touch of being able to see for short times into the future led her to believe that some inevitable future event was about to happen to them with both of them being taken away to separate asylums for the insane, but even now Maladie is still convinced that with her foreknowledge Amalia SHOULD have been able to turn that event to their advantage.

A thought occured to me:

Code: Select all

The Nevers                   Firefly
brawn                  Amalia                       "Mal" Reynolds and Zoe Washburne and Jayne Cobb
brains                 Penance                      "Wash" Washburne and Kaylee Frye
med                    Dr. Horatio Cousens          Dr. Simon Tam
protecting             Mary Brighton                River Tam
relation to gov't      nearly outlaws               outlaws

perhaps among other parallels I haven't thought of (yet). While the base/bass may be different, Whedon is playing the same variations above that which may be part of the reason why I haven't quite committed to watching The Nevers.

Robert

Post by Robert »

I watched one episode of The Nevers. I didn't hate it, but it didn't grab me either. I may watch another, but it's not on my priority list.

The final two episodes/Season 2 of For All Mankind are pretty killer.

Metacell

Post by Metacell »

I've reached the point where every single TV show featuring a gang of super-heroes, supernatural freaks, or mutant outcasts whether it's here and now or in Victorian London elicits the same almighty indifference in me.

macnuke
Title: PureBleed

Post by macnuke »

100 humans.
Netflix.

Social experiments on a random group of 100 humans.

People that do not succeed in politics usually tell the truth too often.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Hey, what happened to the delete post widget?

Last edited by Robert on Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Metacell wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:36 pm

I've reached the point where every single TV show featuring a gang of super-heroes, supernatural freaks, or mutant outcasts whether it's here and now or in Victorian London elicits the same almighty indifference in me.

God, yes. 10 THUMBS UP!

Séamas

Post by Séamas »

Finally finished watching the Good Place

It was a good end to the series, well thought out and true to the core ideas the show was exploring.
By and large this show was far better than it ever needed to be. I didn't care for a couple of the main characters, but Kristin Bell, Ted Danson and William Jackson Harper were excellent, the later got better as the series progressed-- especially when he'd get manic.

But the real star of the series was the genuine exploration of philosophy, the illustrations of thought experiments like the trolley problem, and quotes of philosophers that really bring morality into actual focus, unlike religious decrees.
It is pretty impressive that a network show was able to pull that off while also being entertaining and very comical.

And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
justine

Post by justine »

The Queen of Meth

Séamas

Post by Séamas »

I'm currently watching American Horror Story (season 5 -Hotel)
Just finished season 3 (asylum)

I don't know why I keep watching this human waste.

justine

Post by justine »

Séamas wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:28 pm

I'm currently watching American Horror Story (season 5 -Hotel)
Just finished season 3 (asylum)

I don't know why I keep watching this human waste.

I lost interest when they did the one that was political. I can't remember the name of the season.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Robert wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:36 pm

God, yes. 10 THUMBS UP!

So, for this very reason is why I skipped The Boys, but after reading an article announcing the third season I watched a couple of episodes. Yes, it's not your usual superhero show. I'll watch a few more episodes.

DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

Robert wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:34 am
Robert wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:36 pm

God, yes. 10 THUMBS UP!

So, for this very reason is why I skipped The Boys, but after reading an article announcing the third season I watched a couple of episodes. Yes, it's not your usual superhero show. I'll watch a few more episodes.

Yeah, The Boys is pretty good

intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
justine

Post by justine »

I started watching The Resident. I got sucked into a story line when i turned the tv on, so then i had to watch the following week to see what was going to happen. Then i got sucked into other story lines. Now i'm recording it.

Warin

Post by Warin »

Mare of Easttown. Some great performances from some great actors. The story has me hooked. I am a little disappointed that I didn't wait three weeks to decide to watch it, because then all seven episodes would be out. So instead I am waiting for the next episode like some 90s person! ugh! HBO Max, I believe. Crave here in Canada.

I'm sorry Dave...
macnuke

Post by macnuke »

My wife hasn't seen Firefly.
so we watched it over 4 days.

she was wasted the series was cancelled at that point.

ukimalefu
Title: not a webp fan

Post by ukimalefu »

macnuke wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:08 pm

My wife hasn't seen Firefly.
so we watched it over 4 days.

she was wasted the series was cancelled at that point.

did you watch the movie? it's called Serenity

there's also novels and comics (but I never read any)

macnuke

Post by macnuke »

yeah, i know/knew about Serinity
we watched that one last nigh.

I watched it all back in the day when it was new, but when the series scrolled thru my Hulu suggestions she said she hadn't seen any of them.

Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

I have been watching House lately and just noticed in a shot of his apartment door that his address is 221.

Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
Yori
Title: Program

Post by Yori »

Modern Life is Good-ish (UKTV Play)

jkahless
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

Pariah wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:51 am

I have been watching House lately and just noticed in a shot of his apartment door that his address is 221.

On his license it's 221 Baker Street Apt B!

I tried watching The Newsroom. I couldn't make it through the first episode. The characters just snark at each other until it's time for someone to soliloquize about Andy Sorkin's take on the world. The problem is, Andy Sorkin isn't as smart as the characters he's trying to write, so he just railroads them into saying what he wants to talk about. They spout dramatic facts without the context of how they're significant, and present amateurish superficial analyses as "the truth!" and it comes off as very stilted.

There was also a looooooot of patriotic masterbation. Ugh.

jkahless

Post by jkahless »

OK. I finished the episode today now that I'm in a better mood. I'm willing to accept that this is going to going to play fast and loose with history and the functioning of a newsroom in order to tell some heoric idealized archetype, but I'm much less interested. Like, how the hell is the lead a Republican with his worldview? These are some rose tinted glasses. I also hope the music gets less Hallmark commercial. Emotions are supposed to come from your characters.

jkahless

Post by jkahless »

Ah, now I'm on the second episode, this is all starting to make sense. It's not a story, it's a philosophical dialogue, and I'm reacting to the philosophy.

TOS

Post by TOS »

giving the stand a try

obviously filmed before covid -- it shows a global pandemic much more lethal than covid, but nobody's distancing, wearing masks or anything like that

also i'm baffled by their choice to jump back and forth in time

Metacell

Post by Metacell »

Exterminate All The Brutes (HBO-Max) 4 episode documentary: summation of the history of colonial white supremacy. Nothing so far which is news to me (although the H.G.Wells bit was interesting), but it's nice to see it put in perspective.

macnuke

Post by macnuke »

Peaky Blinders

so far, we like it.

ukimalefu
Title: not a webp fan

Post by ukimalefu »

Love, Death + Robots, season 2

It's GREAT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love,_Death_%26_Robots

justine

Post by justine »

Women In Prison

Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

John Adams (2008) HBO, eMule. Paul Giamatti, Laura Linney, Tom Wilkinson. Seven part series on John Adam's life as Boston Lawyer at the start of the Revolution to 50 years later. Highly recommended.

Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

I just started watching "The Boys" (Amazon Original). OMG, I have only watched 3 eps but this show is right up my ally. It hilariously and quite violently turn the whole super hero thing on its head. Ep3 really made me a fan. A hint: Butt bomb.

Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.