What TV series are you currently watching?

Music and video: analog or digital
j_tso

Post by j_tso »

I've revisited Ultraman over the holidays and found out Tsuburaya Productions made a web series on their youtube channel.
It's mainly Ultramen and monsters in front of green screens, and they brought back a lot of the ones from the pre-2000 shows which made my day.
There are also a couple complete episodes of the newer stuff.
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

j_tso wrote: I've revisited Ultraman over the holidays and found out Tsuburaya Productions made a web series on their youtube channel.
It's mainly Ultramen and monsters in front of green screens, and they brought back a lot of the ones from the pre-2000 shows which made my day.
There are also a couple complete episodes of the newer stuff.

Yeah I'm watching that, but I'm bummed to have missed Ultraman Z which was previously going out under that channel, which is the latest full series but filmed more in tribute to the style of the old series.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
j_tso

Post by j_tso »

I like that they've reconnected in a way with the Showa Ultras. Haven't kept in touch with the shows since Mebius so I'm not familiar with Geed, Orb, X, etc. The latest Ultras with all their different forms is a little much for me, but should be great for selling action figures.
Robert
Title: Dandy Highwayman

Post by Robert »

Currently watching the final season of The USA.
"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
ukimalefu
Title: not a webp fan

Post by ukimalefu »

Robert B. wrote: Currently watching the final season of The USA.

... not sure if that's a joke or...
Link
Title: formerly gd

Post by Link »

ukimalefu wrote:
Robert B. wrote: Currently watching the final season of The USA.

... not sure if that's a joke or...

:lol:
Never take advice from people who have nothing to lose by giving it...
-macnuke
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

The Haunting Of Bly Manor (Netflix, eMule) Built on and expands on the famous gothic horror novel "The Turn Of The Screw". I liked it a lot. Like the original novel and the brilliant 1961 film "The Innocents" starring Deborah Kerr there's plenty of room for speculation about whether this is a ghost story or a psychological drama. It's long with many drawn out scenes. The production looks slightly cheap (filmed in B.C. instead of the U.K. where it plays). But the cast is great. Not up to "The Haunting Of Hill House", but similar in tone with some of the same cast.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
Robert

Post by Robert »

Finished the last season of Vikings. I actually really liked the series finale, which was not a go-all-out fireworks explosion, but instead brought closure by alluding to the decline in their importance and influence, and their transition or assimilation.

Next up is The Expanse, season 5.
TOS

Post by TOS »

it's not a full series, but i watched the new netflix joint about the hunting of richard ramirez, the "night stalker"

quite fascinating
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

TOS wrote: it's not a full series, but i watched the new netflix joint about the hunting of richard ramirez, the "night stalker"

quite fascinating

I remember watching the news reports about the hunt for him. While it was scary, it didn't scare me nearly as bad as The Zodiak and Charles Manson.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
TOS

Post by TOS »

justine wrote:
TOS wrote: it's not a full series, but i watched the new netflix joint about the hunting of richard ramirez, the "night stalker"

quite fascinating

I remember watching the news reports about the hunt for him. While it was scary, it didn't scare me nearly as bad as The Zodiak and Charles Manson.

for me it was clifford olson, a child murderer in my area when i was a kid ... i literally worried about being grabbed on my way to school (alone, of course, through a forest, it was a different time)
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
TOS

Post by TOS »

almost finished the queen's gambit

it really is an excellent series
DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

I liked the way it was photographed, with a very slight sepia tone that makes it look your Grandmother's old, slightly faded Instamatic photos. It helps to put you in the era.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Yori
Title: Program

Post by Yori »

Just restarted Legends of Tomorrow.
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

WandaVision (Disney+, eMule) Two episodes in and there's something going on. Clearly things aren't as they seem. Looks good.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Watched first episode of WandaVision, fell asleep during the second. Tedious, pointless. Constant laugh track runs throughout even though nothing is funny.
TOS

Post by TOS »

love wandavision so far ... awesome tv references, great performances, look forward to more

they really took a massive gamble with this one, and the reaction i'm seeing on twitter suggests a whole ton of people are baffled and/or hostile
Metacell

Post by Metacell »

Disenchantment season 3 (NETFLIX): just the ridiculous psychedelic escapism I needed to get through the last week!
Robert

Post by Robert »

Caught up with The Expanse; now just waiting for the weekly installments. Starting The Alienist season 2 and
I think I'll also start Warrior season 2 now.
Last edited by Robert on Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justine

Post by justine »

Binging True Blood
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

The capture

British series. Good thriller. Nerds please suspend your disbelief about how technology works, focus on the characters.

The plots is based on framing a innocent man by manipulating video evidence.
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Wandavision

huh? wtf?

I love Lucy? Bewitched?

Cute, but... Image

Where's all the fighting evil? the explosions!? the BIG CGI!?

Ok, then on the 2nd episode, a hydra watch appears (not really a spoiler, you kinda have to be really paying attention to see it) and after that, things start getting interesting enough to want to keep watching.
Robert

Post by Robert »

fiddlesticks WandaVision. Warrior, season 2, is where it's at.
justine

Post by justine »

As soon as i have some time, i'm going to start The Flight Attendant

TOS

Post by TOS »

oooohhh ... wandavision has gotten juicier
justine

Post by justine »

I watched the first episode of The Flight Attendant, and wow! They got the idea from Amanda Knox. They had to have, especially since there were references to it.

Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Man About The House (eMule)

Metacell

Post by Metacell »

^^ Is that the original Three's Company?

maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Yup, it was apparently remade as Three's Company in the US a few years later in 1977.

justine

Post by justine »

Metacell wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:19 am

No

Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Ya. One of the un-aired pilot episodes of Three's Company was almost word-for-word of the Brit original. The concept was sold to a few other countries for local versions.
Man About The House was bad enough as it was*, it didn't need exporting. There's quite a list of Brit TV sitcoms that got licensed for foreign versions.

*bad-but-good because it's so bad.

I grew up with human waste TV but it's fun to revisit.

Séamas
Title: Honorary Consul General

Post by Séamas »

Yeah, but with vintage UK dentistry.

And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
jkahless
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

ukimalefu wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:18 am

Wandavision

huh? wtf?

I love Lucy? Bewitched?

Cute, but... Image

Where's all the fighting evil? the explosions!? the BIG CGI!?

Ok, then on the 2nd episode, a hydra watch appears (not really a spoiler, you kinda have to be really paying attention to see it) and after that, things start getting interesting enough to want to keep watching.

Just finished episode two and I’m loving it! They hit the Hollywood nostalgia button perfectly, which is no surprise, it’s a cliche of a cliche now. They use it to good effect. I am digging the pacing.

Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Cunk On Britain (BBC, eMule) One of the 'Cunk On..." mocumentary series by Diane Morgan playing "Philomena Cunk."
I fall down and hurt myself laughing whenever she's on. If you like the modern standard BBC documentary style you'll love this. She takes 'baffled ignorance' to an artform. Highly recommended.

I think I liked the first episodes of WandaVision better than the recent ones. Subtle clues have given way to bludgeoning exposition.

TOS

Post by TOS »

season finale of the expanse -- awesome

when i grow up i want to marry sergeant bobbie

Robert

Post by Robert »

Yes, that actress is one beautiful lady.

Re-attempting American Gods. For whatever reason, this show just puts me to sleep.

Also watched the NYT documentary about a fan-campaign to end the conservatorship over Britney Spears. I just got sucked into it, I don't know why.

Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

Lillehammer, Netflix.

A truly odd little show. And American gangster moves to Lillehammer Norway under the witness protection program. I haven't decided if it is good or not but it sure is original and quirky.
Stars Steven Van Zandt doing his best gangster shtick.

Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Marvel's 616

anthology documentary television series

1st episode: Japanese Spider-Man

2nd episode: Women of Marvel. Women writers, artists, publishers/editors,fans, and characters.

It's all, I've watched so far. Very good.

DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

Superman & Lois

sigh ... :(

I havent cared much for the Arrowverse. The last one I liked was Gotham, and the first season of Supergirl when it was on CBS.
This first episode did not make me excited to see what happens next.
Maybe, maybe, if they make the "A" story about the sons, and put the Superman v Luthor as the "B" story, they might find some interesting character developments, butwho knows.
I rate it Image "Meh"

intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

DukeofNuke wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:00 am

Superman & Lois

sigh ... :(

I havent cared much for the Arrowverse. The last one I liked was Gotham, and the first season of Supergirl when it was on CBS.
This first episode did not make me excited to see what happens next.
Maybe, maybe, if they make the "A" story about the sons, and put the Superman v Luthor as the "B" story, they might find some interesting character developments, butwho knows.
I rate it Image "Meh"

I don't think Gotham is in the arrowverse. They do have a multiverse, so who knows, it could be, but I'm way behind in all those series, no spoilers please. I think Gotham is the best live action Batman in recent years, yes, the show with no Batman (the kid is young Bruce Wayne, he doesn't count as Batman, yet) But I digress, this is about Superman and Lois.

After only one episode... it has potential.

Now to get the weird thing out of the way, i've always liked Lana Land more than Lois Lane in ANY version of Superman. I'm worried that they'll maker a villain this time. That may change, but who knows.

Now the spoilers

Spoiler

seem it's not going to be about Lois and Superman's relationship, but more about parenting. By the way, them having kids is totally new for me (I only know movies and tv shows)

By the way, I LOVED the reference/fan service of Clark and Lois meeting for the first time. I'd even call it a homage to Christopher Reeve. And the new Lois looking like Margot Kidder, I liked that too, but I'm sorry, she needs to eat.

The super villain: I kept thinking, LOL, Superman is fighting the guy from the Doom video game. Turned out to be Luthor. I like Luthor to be there. Let's hope this is a good Luthor.

The arrowverse shows have ups and downs, they go between action, campy, and soap opera, the balance shifts from time to time. But overall I like them.