What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
Online now: Google [Bot], iDaemon, ukimalefu, yelow
I am about half way through Upload on Amazon Prime. The basic premise is that just before you die, you can have yourself uploaded to a digital “heaven.”

For a young programmer named Nathan, that turns out to be a lot sooner than he expected.

It is funny, has some serious moments, and a lot of silliness as well. I am quite enjoying it.
jkahless Custom Title
I'm checking it out. 1.5 episodes in and it hasn't quite found a rhythm yet. The jokes aren't quite landing yet, but if they start, it'll be good. I think the plot and character development just needs to get moving a bit more and they'll hit better. The tone hasn't quite coalesced but I think it will. I wish they'd gone just a little more surreal.
jkahless Custom Title
Looks like it's filmed here, just recognized a location in New Westminister.
ukimalefu Canadized
The Harley Quinn animated series

whoa

NOT for children (violence and "adult language", lots of it)

I was not expecting that

But it's good.

*spoiler alert*
on the first episode, they make it clear The Joker does NOT love Harley

I liked that. Many people on the internet seem to think otherwise.

I've only seen 2 episodes, plan to keep watching
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
avkills posted:
Betonhaus posted:
TOS posted:
do yourself a favour and stop there

Why? Season 2 and 3 are cut from the same cloth and are equally epic.

I liked Season 2 also. Will have to wait for Season 3 to show up on iTunes or Amazon.

It is kind of a mind fiddlesticks how they traverse the time table though.

They may as well have called Season 3 Westworld: Project Mayhem. Split personalities, take society down, an unknowing dupe. Yeah.
What We Do In The Shadows season 2 (FX, eMule) Maybe even better than the first season so far. I'm getting my Matt Berry fix.
Penny Dreadful: City of Angels (2020, Showtime).

Let me state first that I did NOT watch the earlier Penny Dreadful series (2014-16), so I cannot make any comparisons with that show. Both shows were created, executive produced, and at least partially written by John Logan, but considering that the earlier series was placed for the most part in Victorian London and so a minimum of 40 years before in time (from what I've read about it), I doubt that there will be any links made between them.

There is a strong mystical element that you may have seen in the commercials that Showtime is running in part featuring Natalie Dormer wearing this costume:

Here she is as...um, an aspect(?) of Santa Muerte who is the Angel of Death. There is another actress, Lorenza Izzo, who plays the kinder, white aspect of Santa Muerte, that Angel of Death who takes away the pain and suffering from those dying of injury or illness. Of course Dormer's version is the destructive and chaos-inducing one, although anyone wishing to see more of Dormer in her delicious costume WILL be disappointed in that her Santa Muerte has gotten little screentime in the two shows which have aired.

On the other hand Dormer fans will get to see a LOT of her in the show in that in her IMDB listing for "City of Angels" she is given credit for four roles (I am not sure if one of these--Rio?--is the show's name for her character pictured above).

First, the setup: the time is 1938 and the place is Los Angeles. The city council had announced that the construction of the Arroyo Seco Parkway--LA's first and now known as the Pasadena Freeway--is set to begin but there are tensions: the first part of the freeway will run through a Mexican-American neighborhood. I don't know if this is authentic LA history: the Wikipedia entry on the freeway's construction does not mention this so possibly this particular incident was too small to warrant an entry, or perhaps the creator Logan borrowed elements from the Battle of Chavez Ravine, the name given to the dispute between the Mexican-Americans who owned the land that eventually became the property upon which Dodger Stadium was built.

Tiago Vega (Daniel Zovatto) is rudely awakened by a telephone call. Vega is the FIRST Mexican-American to become a detective in the LAPD, but even before his official duty was to begin on the following Monday, his senior partner Detective Lewis Michener (Nathan Lane) calls him early on the Saturday before to come in to help in the investigation of a gruesome scene set up on the bed of the Los Angeles River which apparently was some ritual for/to Santa Muerte. From here Logan pulls in the German-American Bund, some Nazi intrigue to get involved in the construction of the Arroyo Seco Parkway, a popular radio evangelist (perhaps borrowing from the life of Aimee Semple McPherson)...what's not to like?

I guess I will have to check out the elder Penny Dreadful series too.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I have just started watching season 2 of After Life (netflix).

All I can say is I love everything about this show and Ricky Gervais is a genius. All the notes, struck perfectly.

Pariah Approved and Recommended. Image
jkahless Custom Title
Ribtor posted:
What We Do In The Shadows season 2 (FX, eMule) Maybe even better than the first season so far. I'm getting my Matt Berry fix.

You're not alone, they don't have to adapt the film anymore, and have settled into their own rhythm. It's a wonderful progression.
jkahless Custom Title
Turns out there was another TV show based off What We Do in the Shadows!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington%20Paranormal

Now I know what to watch next.
jkahless Custom Title
When I'm done westworld, which is fascinating so far. I could do with a little less gore, but its a great Brave New World adaptation.
jkahless Custom Title
jkahless posted:
When I'm done westworld, which is fascinating so far. I could do with a little less gore, but its a great Brave New World adaptation.

The introduction of The Raj in season 2 is a wonderful “fiddlesticks you” to the whole myth of the American west. We’re more easily able to see the raj for what it is, inherently uncomfortable and racist, just like the NA frontier.
jkahless Custom Title
jkahless posted:
jkahless posted:

The introduction of The Raj in season 2 is a wonderful “fiddlesticks you” to the whole myth of the American west. We’re more easily able to see the raj for what it is, inherently uncomfortable and racist, just like the NA frontier.

Nearly done season 2, quite the complicated mess of storylines, I’m impressed with how they’ve kept them all moving, less impressed with how they’ve been fragmented. In the first season it was a good mirror to the possibility of emerging consciousness, but in season two, it continues on out of habit. I think I’ve identified 5 separate layers of time, I think... So far, it’s all been worth it for the episode in Lakota, which, dropping the ambiguous timefuckery, told a strong story. Holy human waste. That’s how you incorporate indigenous peoples into your weird ass exploitation universe. Hell of an examination and evisceration of tropes. I hope it got nominated for awards.

The parallels between the hosts behaviour and their programming, and human behaviour and mental illness are fun too. I feel like I’m watching a Philip K Dick novel. Incomprehensible. Vulgar. But wonderful.
jkahless posted:
jkahless posted:
jkahless posted:

Nearly done season 2, quite the complicated mess of storylines, I’m impressed with how they’ve kept them all moving, less impressed with how they’ve been fragmented. In the first season it was a good mirror to the possibility of emerging consciousness, but in season two, it continues on out of habit. I think I’ve identified 5 separate layers of time, I think... So far, it’s all been worth it for the episode in Lakota, which, dropping the ambiguous timefuckery, told a strong story. Holy human waste. That’s how you incorporate indigenous peoples into your weird ass exploitation universe. Hell of an examination and evisceration of tropes. I hope it got nominated for awards.

The parallels between the hosts behaviour and their programming, and human behaviour and mental illness are fun too. I feel like I’m watching a Philip K Dick novel. Incomprehensible. Vulgar. But wonderful.

I liked season 1 the best.

Season 2 seemed to me like they took all the stories submitted by the writers and mashed them together to fill out 10 episodes. It was entertaining enough for its purpose but the salient points could have been folded into the first season for a better told story. And ended.

I found season 3 was obsessively creating, and then filling in narrative blanks and holes in an effort to keep things moving. Not good story-telling but rather people trying to keep their jobs for another year or so. I think a lot of TV is like that.
jkahless Custom Title
Ribtor posted:
jkahless posted:
jkahless posted:
jkahless posted:

I liked season 1 the best.

Season 2 seemed to me like they took all the stories submitted by the writers and mashed them together to fill out 10 episodes. It was entertaining enough for its purpose but the salient points could have been folded into the first season for a better told story. And ended.

I found season 3 was obsessively creating, and then filling in narrative blanks and holes in an effort to keep things moving. Not good story-telling but rather people trying to keep their jobs for another year or so. I think a lot of TV is like that.

Season 1 isinfinitely better. Season 2 still deserves to exist even if it ought to be recut into a more comprehensive narrative structure.

I struggle with how quickly TV gets repetitive, so I’ve started to dig into the motivations of the filmmakers. It’s a great way to make things interesting again as I work on my own writing and story generation.
For All Mankind on Apple TV+.

Trying to decide if this is a good show or not. Well made, but is it interesting? I dunno. Seems like the same ol' can-do American space program spirit circle jerk.
jkahless Custom Title
When I watched it, it felt really nice to have a more positive view of the world on the screen. Took me back to being a little kid, reading about the space programme. I want to believe... :cry:
dv
Finished The Good Place today. Still got a season left in Golden Girls, then we're not sure. Schitt's Creek maybe.
dv posted:
Finished The Good Place today. Still got a season left in Golden Girls, then we're not sure. Schitt's Creek maybe.

Ew, dAvID
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Creepshow (AMC), first two episodes out. Yep, just like the movie, anthology horror series ala Tales From the Crypt.

First episode stars Adrienne Barbeau, second stars Jeffrey Combs. Hit or miss. Typical TV movie level writing with some nice visuals. I liked the "Bob loves me" story.
macnuke Afar
https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1260604856672243713

May The 13th Be The Day My "WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS" (
@theshadowsfx
) Episode Airs On
@FXNetworks
At 10pm/Eastern TONIGHT- Where I Look Like [SPOILER ALERT]... THIS(!):

Mark Hamill's tweet for those that watch the series "What We Do In the Shadows"
jkahless Custom Title
Watched Servant on Apple+. Another Shyamalan project without any payoff. It could've been easily been a film, but stretched into a series and so it has a lot of filler moments.

Actress Nell Tiger Free's character— as a brunette and minus the church clothes — looks a lot like a girlfriend I had in my 20s. Those were some times.
Mork and Mindy (eMule)

I know why I didn't watch it when it was new. It was unwatchable crap. I thought it might have some nostalgic charm by now. No, it is human waste. Seeing a neutered Robin Williams is painful. I don't want to remember him like that.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Iron King (Japan 1972-73, on DVD Mill Creek Entertainment)

I bought this at my previous thrift store job. It's sort of a Ultraman ripoff/spoof and might just disappear in the range of obscure Tokusatsu series like Spectraman, Mirrorman, Space Giants (Ambassador Magma), Ultra-Fight, etc. But there's just something different and uniquely Japanese about it...it's pitched for an older audience, it has a grindhouse spaghetti western feel and it's often very funny. Instead of the macho lead turning into the giant superhero, it's the comic relief sidekick, and his alter ego is powered by water, so when he turns back into a human he has an insatiable thirst his cohorts can't figure out. The badguys are based on ancient Japanese feudal mythological rivalries and the design and soundtrack, like most from this era and genre are totally boss.
dv
The Mandalorian was fun pseudo-western with a lot of neat cameos.

The Beforeigeners (HBO Streaming) is an amazing show.
Metacell posted:
Iron King (Japan 1972-73, on DVD Mill Creek Entertainment)

Cool. I'll have to find that.
jkahless Custom Title
I watched season 1 of Space Force yesterday. It was better than I was expecting!

Much more of a dramedy than a comedy, it’s like VEEP lite mixed with a space race satire. It was a little slow paced, though I think that might just be in contrast to the frenetic kinetic comedy that’s so common these days.

It’s got to walk an interesting line, as it satirizes the current administration and government in general, while trying to be a little hopeful that people will do the right thing. It’s difficult, but I appreciate they’re trying. There’s certainly something to build on in a second season.
Waco on Netflix. About halfway through it. Makes the ATF look horrible. The FBI look stupid. A little too sympathetic to David Koresh. Does not address the allegations of child abuse, mildly touches on weapons violations. But hey, that's Texas.

Last edited by Robert B. on Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:36 pm.

juice Inadvertently correct
The ATF doesn't need help looking horrible.
Maybe so, but it was their handling of the Branch Davidians that ruined them.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34