What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
Online now: Google [Bot]
Séamas Honorary Consul General
The Crown (season 3)

I watched two episodes.
Mostly a new cast this season--as the characters are now 15 years or so older than the first season.
I'm not as impressed by Olivia Colman as I was by Claire Foy, but I think that would extend to the character as well, where the Queen has definitely grown into her title and seems to have lost any degree of happiness. That said, she manages to be oddly sympathetic.
I think Tobias Menzies does a good job with Prince Phillip, who I think plays the part as he pretty much is perceived--an upperclass elitist prick. The previous actor played this up as well, but also showed him to be somewhat brave/dashing when a young man.

Now I think Helena Bonham Carter was just plain awful selection for princess Margaret. She's fine enough of an actress I guess, but I think she was brought on because of flagging viewership during the second season (which I found less and less interesting as the season went on)
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I binged the second season of The Sinner. The first season was better, but this season is good, too. Can't wait for a third.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Old Westerns.
The tv in the waiting room has found it's way to the insp channel, where they play '60s and '70s westerns all day. Gunsmoke, The Big Valley, The High Chaparral, The Virginian, and Bonanza between 08:00 and 17:00 every day.
I'm kinda enjoying them.
One thing is by watching these, you understand better what Roddenberry meant when he pitched "Wagon Train to the Stars" to Desilu. How the tropes, characters and plots are pretty much interchangeable between them all. Also the actors. Not just Nimoy on Gunsmoke, I've seen at least a half dozen ST-TOS "also starring" and "with" actors on these shows. Klingon Commander Kor, The green girl from The Cage/The Menagerie, the Captain from the Nazi planet. It's just kinda fun recognizing these faces.
Big Train (1998) eMule, BBC Two. Brit-com sketch show by the creator of Father Ted. A young Simon Pegg is in it.

The Good Place Season 4. well they are getting through the story, not much further they can possibly snowball so i can't see another season in the works.
macnuke Afar
binging thru Blacklist.
jkahless Custom Title
Just finished Killing Eve season 2. OK, not amazing like season one, they were really stretching credibility with the plot. I'm going to pretend it just ended, and not watch them try to tell the same story a third time.
jkahless posted:
Just finished Killing Eve season 2. OK, not amazing like season one, they were really stretching credibility with the plot. I'm going to pretend it just ended, and not watch them try to tell the same story a third time.

Yes. It didn't even need the second season.
Everything and Nothing (BBC4, eMule) A two part documentary on Quantum science and the big bang etc. Familiar ground for science documentary buffs but a very engaging scientist-presenter, Jim Al-Khalili.
jkahless Custom Title
Ribtor posted:
jkahless posted:

Yes. It didn't even need the second season.

Agreed. The actors deserved better. It's one of the things that endears me to Mr Robot.
TOS
watchmen

holy human waste

so amazing

great writing, acting, everything ... and the way they tackled race? incredible

it's all focused on the apocalyptic racist massacre in tulsa in the early 20s, which has been largely forgotten

friggin' love that show
Gonna start What These Movies Did For Us on Netflix.
TOS posted:
watchmen

holy human waste

so amazing

great writing, acting, everything ... and the way they tackled race? incredible

it's all focused on the apocalyptic racist massacre in tulsa in the early 20s, which has been largely forgotten

friggin' love that show

It is the best single season of TV that I have ever watched. Brilliant from start to finish.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Lost in Space: Season 2, just dropped on Netflix
Metacell posted:
Lost in Space: Season 2, just dropped on Netflix

OMG thanks for the heads up! I've been waiting sooooooooooo long for this!
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Oooh, nice. Just as I'm finishing up The Expanse.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Doctor Who returns TODAY
Yori Program
Yori Program
Not going to spoil it, but HELL YES!!! :D
juice Inadvertently correct
Amy Pond 4eva
Antenna station Decades has a New Year's Twilight Zone marathon that seems to have fewer commercials than Syfy's, though the commercials are geared towards senior services and life insurance.
juice Inadvertently correct
Know your target demographic
j_tso posted:
Antenna station Decades has a New Year's Twilight Zone marathon that seems to have fewer commercials than Syfy's, though the commercials are geared towards senior services and life insurance.

Welcome to the Twilight Years.
Yori posted:
Not going to spoil it, but HELL YES!!! :D

it was pretty intense for a pilot, but it was good.
jkahless Custom Title
The Witcher.

It's schlock, but it's fun! Swords magic and tits!
jkahless posted:
The Witcher.

It's schlock, but it's fun! Swords magic and tits!

Added this to my list. Currently making my way through season 2 of Lost In Space, and season 5 of Mom.
jkahless Custom Title
People say it's complicated, but I'm just here to watch hunky Elrond beat the human waste out of monsters.
I watched the Witcher in like 3 days. It is awesome. Cavill turns in a splendid performance. I was hoping Triss would have redder hair, but that was a great bit of casting. Seeing Yennefer’s back story was cool too.

Once you wrap your brain around the fact that the story is told in three timelines, it makes more sense.
TOS
binge-watched the expanse

wow, it's so much better than i expected, just fabulous! especially the first two seasons

it was filmed in toronto and a friend of mine who worked as a director told me some stories about it ... the space suits didn't breathe, and they had to keep an eye on the actors to make sure they didn't pass out from dehydration

this happened in the glorious scene where miller finally finds what's-her-name and she's all glowy; there was a screwup with the bluescreen so the actors had to wait around, and thomas jane almost collapsed

that scene was one of the most amazing moments i've ever seen on screen, it was wonderful
Warin posted:
I watched the Witcher in like 3 days. It is awesome. Cavill turns in a splendid performance. I was hoping Triss would have redder hair, but that was a great bit of casting. Seeing Yennefer’s back story was cool too.

Once you wrap your brain around the fact that the story is told in three timelines, it makes more sense.

Just started this. Don't let anyone dissuade you...it's great!
Watching Another Life. It's has some interesting moments, but it's not big idea sci fi and is mostly kind of meh. These are times I wish Banky were still around so we could share in our great dislike of Katee Sackhoff.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Dracula (2020)

disappointing
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Two episodes into Ken Burns Country Music.

It seems few people knew the banjo came to America from Africans. I suppose the association with bluegrass pretty much annihilated the collective memory of it being part of anything else. Before Charlie Christian (and the guitar pickup), banjos were as common--or more common than guitars in a jazz band.

It was interesting that so much of early country performance would center around such negative stereotypes of rural people.
Toothless, shoeless, backwards and dimwitted. And the audience seemed to like it.

Part 2 featured a lot of Bob Wills, which was pretty cool. I first came to learn of him through a monthly acoustic jam I participate where one of the guys is like an encyclopedia of Western Swing and so a big fan of Wills.
Other than the instrumentation, there is very little difference between Wills and the Texas Playboys and a lot of big band jazz.

One thing that struck me is while there are some very old roots in country music (coming from the British Isles, west Africa, central Europe), the very synthesis of it is relatively modern.

There is a hell of a lot more blues in it than I had realized (and I knew there was a bit to begin with).
The Detectorists (BBC4, eMule) Written, directed and starring McKenzie Crook (actor from The Office, Pirates of the Caribbean) and Toby Jones. Similar in tone to "Jam And Jerusalem". About a group of metal detector enthusiasts. Recommended.

Death In Paradise (BBC 1, eMule) Nine seasons of "Murder Most Pleasant". By almost any measure is bad, but I can't stop watching.

The New Avengers (eMule) Bad in a good way.

TOS
i loved the detectorists! a nice, gentle comedy
The good place episode dropped yesterday. It seems to wrap things up but theres three episodes left so a shoe somwhere is going to drop.
I honestly can't support anything that wackadoodle does.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
DEyncourt posted:

This was the first Beth Mole story I couldn't finish. Not because of the writing - as usual, Beth is in great form here - but because the stupid began to burn too much. I was amused by the fact that Betty Dodson had to correct Paltrow on female anatomy.
Watching The Outsider on HBO. Pretty gripping.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31