What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
Online now: Google [Bot], ukimalefu
Donkey Butter jerk face
Metacell posted:
Wu Assassin (Netflix) - cheesy fun in the style of Big Trouble in Little China. Liking it so far.

I just started watching this too. So cheesy, but I'm on episode 6 now. haha
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Just finished season two of The Son.

Mixed feelings about its cancellation. It was a good story, but if the season two ending was where they were going, it's a good thing there's no season three.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
I finished The Umbrella Academy. It's slow paced, but I liked it and will watch the 2nd season.
TOS
vietnam, ken burns

not bad, though it didn't really admit the entire nightmare war was fundamentally a gargantuan american crime
Preacher, season 4 (eMule)
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Disenchanted Part 2. So excellent...Just What I Needed!
Vulture 420
Just finished the 2 seasons of Dark on netflix, what a fiddlesticks of German origin! I watched it with subtitles while they spoke German, I didn't like the English overdubbed version at all. But aside from the fantasy scientific blatherskite about a wormhole black hole nuclear power plant time machine in a suitcase which you have to embrace just to watch it, the interwoven plot of characters is what keeps it exciting, trying to comprehend the time loops and where it might end. Highly recommended.
I remember watching like 10 minutes of this show like a year ago and it had the overdubbed voices and I thought it was stupid and never wanted to watch it. I changed my mind.
Yori Program
Ashes to Ashes (iPlayer)
TOS
restarted peaky blinders

love season 1 to pieces
Catching up on the later seasons of Orange is the New Black.
dv
Binged season 3 of The Good Place last weekend. Man, that's a good show
Donkey Butter jerk face
Glitch (season 3, well that is to say I started season 3 but couldn't remember what happened in season 2 or season 1 so I started the while thing over again ep 1 s 1.)

Has that happened to anyone else, where you can't recall what happened in the show so you start the whole thing over again?
dv
Donkey Butter posted:
Has that happened to anyone else, where you can't recall what happened in the show so you start the whole thing over again?

Nah. Usually reading some Wikipedia jogs my memory.
Evil (2019, CBS, Thursdays at 10 pm)

I'm still on the bubble on this. This show has frankly too much of an X-Files vibe to it because the storywriters are already somewhat forcing a relationship between the male and female leads which on a purely physical basis I can understand but MY problem is that I do not know the characters well enough to understand their attraction to each other.

Katja Herbers plays Kristen Bouchard, a clinical psychologist who has worked for the local district attorney's office on various cases doing psychological evaluations on people involved in those cases. At the opening of the first episode Kristen is working on a case where she walks out on "her" DA because she feels that he wants a clear unfavorable evaluation of the murder suspect in his current case when Kristen knows that she hasn't done enough analysis of that suspect. The defense attorney has put up a defense that the suspect doesn't have any clear memories of the murders/rape (in that order) of a family that was nearby to him, and that his client is mentally unstable because he undergoes periods where he is possessed by an anonymous demon. Kristen's walk-out is problematic in that she is a mother with bills to pay and 4 young daughters who appear to range in age between 6 and 9 (my bet is that two of them are twins, a fact which will be involved in a story in the future) with an estranged(?) and absent husband who is a mountain guide currently guiding a group in the Himalayas (maybe his child support payments have been late because of his situation?).

It is that demon-possession angle that brings in David Acosta (played by Mike Colter), an investigator for the Catholic Church who looks into such mystery cases. David has a complex history that is still being revealed in dribs and drabs: he had a (girl?)friend/sister(?) who died some time ago and David may have had or felt some responsibility in her death. He is still on course to becoming a priest, but his current job is to investigate cases mostly to prevent the Church from becoming involved in clear fakes. David sees Kristen walk out so he offers her a job to be his part of his scientific backup along with Ben Shakir (played by Aasif Mandvi) who is the clear skeptic in the group. So far Ben's background story is unclear mostly because the show is just starting, but apparently he is a lapsed Muslim with a sister who visits him and bugs Ben about attending temple on behalf of their father.

To complete the X-Files model, their "Smoking Man" is Leland Townsend (played rather over-the-top by Michael Emerson). Leland is also a clinical psychologist usually working for the defense and so had recently been at odds with Kristen including on their current murder case. Leland also has an unclear past with David because he knows a LOT of personal details about David. As yet Leland hasn't interacted with Ben. I dunno about Leland as a character. He is plainly so disagreeable that I don't understand why anyone would want to work with him, and Leland is NOT in a clear position of power like the Smoking Man had in X-Files such that Leland could command people.

I really like Herbers' Kristen. She is a sympathetic mother in a tough situation who valiantly tries to not spread her stress upon her daughters. In tonight's episode there is a nice scene where Kristen has arrived home after a harrowing day. Parking her car on the street she gets out, stops to look at her front door, then visibly shakes herself to get out all of her stress before getting home. A simple and perhaps obvious scene but nicely done.

But I am still unsure if I will continue to watch. As yet "Evil" does not have the playfulness that X-Files sometimes had. Perhaps after they fill in the background to Mandvi's Ben then I can more definitely set this show on my "must watch" list.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I've recorded the first 2 episodes of Emergence, but i haven't watch it yet.

Inkmaster Grudge Match
Yori Program
Vulture 420
jkahless posted:
I was impressed with that adaptation. It’s very difficult to get haltingly awkward pacing right without falling down the Gervais chasm of cringe.

Though Matt Berry is always a delight of a uncouth woman in whatever he does. I’ve never laughed so hard at one man saying “yes” repeatedly in the exact same tone as in that ToL cold open.

Toast Of London was amazing. The vampire TV show is hilarious because they went all out beyond the movie, and the real star of the movie is Jemaine Clement, so it makes sense to have Berry play his role (if not quite an exact replacement). I like that they have the emotional vampire character played by the guy who played the douchey pharmacist in Better Call Saul who bought himself a yellow Hummer.
New season of Always Sunny. (FXX, eMule) I hope it gets better. First two episodes seem tired and forced.
dv
Hacking my way through Letterkenny this week. Short seasons help.

Yeah, it's basically just a show about an autistic guy who beats people up. But the dialog/banter/wordplay is inspired.
dv
dv posted:
Hacking my way through Letterkenny this week. Short seasons help.

Yeah, it's basically just a show about an autistic guy who beats people up. But the dialog/banter/wordplay is inspired.

Okay, yeah, the wordplay is stick fiddling amazing.
I've been watching Time Team., (eMule, Channel 4)

Tony Robinson is an excellent presenter.

The three day time limit for each dig is not as silly as it might first appear, and there are good reasons for it. Obviously longer more detailed investigations can be taken over by other organisations when warranted.

The production and editing keep what some might think is a boring activity quite lively.

Hands-on archaeology brings home, sometimes literally, how ancient history may be all around us when we decide to look.

It's almost entirely U.K. based and the TV format and the number of shows probably wouldn't work outside of the relatively small geographical area of the U.K. and Europe.

Last edited by Ribtor on Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:59 am.

Yori Program
I love Time Team. I used to have a whole load of them that I DVRed and transferred to DVD.
"Stone the crows, look wut oiy fownd in moy lit'l trench, and on the furst day, moind!"
Yori Program
"Ooh! Arr! Well you see, Tony, thaaat's not flint, it's cherrrt."
A drinking game for when every time Tony says "geo-phys" would get dangerous, fast. "Saxon post 'oles" would come a close second.

WKRP (eMule) Every year or so I watch random episodes. Some good stuff in an era of wasteland TV. Marred by the occasional "dramatic" story, except the Cincinnati Who concert episode; they had to do that one. The Two part-er where Johnny becomes a TV disco DJ may be my favourite.

The Simpsons Season 31 (eMule) It still works for me.
The first episode of Watchmen on HBO was bloody fantastic. Enough homage to the OG stories while telling a new story. I can’t wait to see what is up with Jeremy Irons character, who totally ISNT Veidt. :lol:
TOS
Ribtor posted:
The Simpsons Season 31 (eMule) It still works for me.

oh i didn't realize you were a masochist
I tried watching a recent episode of South Park and realized why I'd stopped in the first place...it had stopped being funny long ago.
Rewatchibg The Expanse as I got my parents hooked on it.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
The Mandalorian

Image :up:
ukimalefu posted:
The Mandalorian

by Werner Herzog?
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Metacell posted:
ukimalefu posted:
The Mandalorian

by Werner Herzog?

uh... no...? not sure why you ask. But, this shouldn't be a spoiler, he's in it (had to google the name.

This new show on Disney+ is by Jon Favreau (Jon Favreau serves as creator, head writer, showrunner, and co-executive producer, alongside Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. The show stars Pedro Pascal. He directed Iron Man 1 and 2, and was in many Avengers / MCU movies as an actor)
Jack Ryan season 2
macnuke Afar
Robert B. posted:
Jack Ryan season 2

binged the season. only 8 episodes. kinda meh to a point.
but i still liked it.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I need to start watching the second season of The Sinner. It's on Netflix now.
ukimalefu posted:
Metacell posted:
ukimalefu posted:
The Mandalorian

by Werner Herzog?

uh... no...? not sure why you ask. But, this shouldn't be a spoiler, he's in it (had to google the name.

This new show on Disney+ is by Jon Favreau (Jon Favreau serves as creator, head writer, showrunner, and co-executive producer, alongside Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. The show stars Pedro Pascal. He directed Iron Man 1 and 2, and was in many Avengers / MCU movies as an actor)

Werner Herzog's The Mandalorian
Evil, CBS, 10 pm ET Thursdays. Link is to my previous review.

My previous bubble is close to breaking. I still like all three of the main characters. Mandvi's Ben has been filled out a BIT more (but could use some additional backfill). Emerson's Leland is still disagreeable to the point that I do not understand why anyone would work with him, much less agree to become one of his patients (which happened during this past week's episode).

There is that ongoing problem of events happening within the series to even the skeptics of three main characters that I have to wonder why any of them would remain being so ardently skeptical, but this is an ongoing problem throughout media--X Files included--where the skeptics are placed into such situations. X Files at least had the decency of having MOST (but not all) such questionable situations happen only to Mulder rather than to Scully alone or with others (and, of course, eventually Scully's skepticism fails her).

My main problem with this past week's episode was the introduction of Vatican investigators. They were summoned to Chicago (the series takes place in "generic American city" but certain features identify it as Chicago) because of a character that was introduced (I say that because I'm fairly certain that she will return to the series later) LAST week who claimed to have marginally inexplicable powers of prophecy AND the ability to fill in missing sections in a damaged codex held in the Vatican Library for the past half-millennium.

When the trio is asked to help fill in some of those missing parts--the prophet supposedly had been sent back to Mainland China because she was an illegal immigrant but I'm betting it will turn out that she wasn't--by those Vatican investigators, the trio demand that they should be given access to that codex. For some reason they are taken to a specially designed chamber which temporarily holds that codex--"taken out of Italy for the first time"--in the basement of the main Catholic cathedral of the city, I guess. At one point Kristen asks the investigator handling the codex to stop to open a folded parchment held between two pages. It folds out into a sort of schematic diagram filled with circles each containing complex symbols. One of the Vatican investigators explains that the Church had not been able to give any meaning to this diagram, but Kristen spots one that SHE recognizes so she whipped out her phone to take a picture of it.

Later at home Kristen looked at that pic to compare it to a version that one of her daughters had gotten (full circumstances too complex to relay here) and it is at least a close match. Kristen then invites David to her home to show him the pic and that item, and he then recognizes it as a symbol for one of the demons in the complex hierarchy of demons, confirming this by looking into some online Wiki for Catholic demonology.

Wait. For some reason no one over the past 500 or so years had bothered to check any of the symbols in that complex diagram against any demon symbology? Especially considering that this secret codex contains some version of Revelation detailing the end of the Church and/or the world?

I will give the series the next new episode to provide some explanation to this, though I suspect that if any is given it will be of a vague hand-waving not-explanation.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Watchmen

All I ever knew about Watchmen was that movie they made long ago, that I didn't like.

2 episodes in and:

This TV show... is... I want to use the word: hardcore.

Most definitely for adults only. And maybe not for all adults.

I think I like it...

Gonna start season 4 of The Man in the High Castle.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29