What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
Online now: Google [Bot], juice, Pariah
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Does he EVER find Bigfoot?
maurvir Outlier
DukeofNuke posted:
Does he EVER find Bigfoot?

No, but he found a lot of blatherskite. ;)
Quote:
This series presents information based in part on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations, but not necessarily the only ones, to the mysteries we will examine

No kidding.
TOS
Ribtor posted:
In Search of...(1977-1982) 144 episodes of Nimoy narrating his way through some of the most inane drivel about mysterious things. Loads of fun. Cheesy 70s theme tune. Classic.

absolutely love that show

so hilarious to watch nowadays
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
In Search Of was the show I looked forward to on Sundays between all the boring sports and news programs.
dv
Recently binges The Good Place and am working through Brooklyn Nine Nine.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
dv posted:
Recently binges The Good Place and am working through Brooklyn Nine Nine.

I really like the Good Place.

I remember seeing promos when it started and thought it looks like a "too cute" sitcom and avoided it, but ended up catching an episode late in the first season because I couldn't be bothered to turn the channel.

I was pleasantly surprised, so my family and I binged on it for a while.
I gotta say they do an excellent job in examining and dissecting all sorts of philosophical concepts all while being pretty funny. The cast is great (I am crushing on Kristen Bell ) and they do a pretty good job at pulling surprises every now and then.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I have one episode of Sabrina left. Can't wait for the next season!
Metacell posted:
In Search Of was the show I looked forward to on Sundays between all the boring sports and news programs.

In their new book, the members of the Skeptics Guide to the Universe began with "Spock lied to me" (to be sure only the older members were making this statement as the newest member--Cara Santa Maria--was born during that first run of "In Search of"). They were around 10 at that time and had become totally convinced of EVERYTHING in that show being real.
"God Friended Me" (CBS?)

From the ads I was thinking this would be a super-lightweight show, but being stuck in a hospital bed allowed me to watch critically. In some ways this show resembles "Joan of Arcadia" in which Amber Tamblyn played the title character who had sometimes hourly encounters with God (always in an unshowy appearance) who would give Joan choices, sometimes with dire consequences to her and family.

Here the black male lead had been "friended" by a mysterious account of God's. Let's grant that he has enough confidence that something is behind this though he and his friends are continuing to figure out the source. His (to-be?) girlfriend is totally convinced, but his father remains skeptical, sure that there some sort of scam behind it.

The lead has been given the task of contacting a pair of chess grandmasters he knew about 15 years ago. No grandmaster himself, he was able appreciate the epic contests the two held in a park. One had a background of high privilege: the son of a lawyer who lacked for nothing EXCEPT for being able to beat the other. In a severe constrast the other grandmaster only had his grandfather to support him.

These chess battles went on for years until one day the lawyer's son managed to beat the other, after which the now-beatened grandmaster virtually disappeared.

Finding the lawyer's son was relatively easy, but actually contacting him was more difficult in part because the family was in crisis: the grandmaster had contracted a form of cancer which was threatening to kill him in months. When God's friend does talk to him, it turns out that he had been searching for the other grandmaster for a while.

Through mutual contacts in the neighborhood God's friend was able to contact the other grandmaster, but takes some effort to persuade him to visit the other's hospital room. Then the lawyer's son had a confession: before their last match he had his competitor's room burgled such that it looked like any other burglary but the object that he wanted were the other grandmaster's notebooks in which he recorded every chess match he had played. They included notes to himself detailing how the game might have led to him losing had certain moves were made. It was only through studying the notebooks that the lawyer's son was able to beat the other, but he had to fully admit that it was NOT through any personal insight, only through being taught by the other.

The other grandmaster is appalled. "You knew how important our matches were to me! That I was able to beat you conistently defined my world, so when I lost...NO! I cannot forgive you!" and runs out of the room. "Can you change his mind?" the sick man asks. God's friend replies, "I dunno. Maybe he just needs some time."

After wandering around the hospital the other grandmaster comes across a nearly deserted child care center. There he meets a little girl (about 7?) staring studiously at a chess board in mid-game. They start talking chess and the girl shows that she is a chess prodigy. "You should come meet my daddy," the girl says, leading them back to the sick grandmaster's room.

The reason why he had been looking for the other grandmaster was he was the only one he could trust to teach her chess once he was gone. He wanted to hire him as chess tutor as soon as his dire cancer prognosis was set. The other grandmaster says "yes, but only after I teach her out of some bad habits" as the grandmasters grin at each other.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I love chess, but I'm not very good at it ...
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS
DEyncourt posted:
Metacell posted:

In their new book, the members of the Skeptics Guide to the Universe began with "Spock lied to me" (to be sure only the older members were making this statement as the newest member--Cara Santa Maria--was born during that first run of "In Search of"). They were around 10 at that time and had become totally convinced of EVERYTHING in that show being real.

that's funny

as i remember watching it as a kid, they'd mention a legit scientific concept, then something out of legend, a mild witness testimony, then finish with an extreme bit of testimony
juice Inadvertently correct
Every weeknight at 8:30 local time, MeTV.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Love that show.
The latest one I watched had Bailey throwing lit matches onto Herb's suit because it looked particularly flammable.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Saw the first episode of Nightflyers, sci-fi horror from George R. R. Martin. Looks very good.

:up:
maurvir Outlier
ukimalefu posted:
Saw the first episode of Nightflyers, sci-fi horror from George R. R. Martin. Looks very good.

I just can't get my head wrapped around a series where I know everyone dies. I mean, it's sort of like "what's the point?"
dv
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:

I just can't get my head wrapped around a series where I know everyone dies. I mean, it's sort of like "what's the point?"

Nobody gets out of Real Life™ alive either. The point is the journey.

Also, Rogue One.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Not sure if spoiler or "you just know it" :squint:

Also, It's been years now since we should have learned to never get attached to the main characters of any series: Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, The Walking Dead, list goes on. Any character on any show can be killed.
maurvir Outlier
Ok, fair point on Rogue One. However, that was a movie, not a series. In a series, you are supposed to build a "rapport" with the characters over time.

Also, the very first episode makes it crystal clear that no one makes it at the end. The whole first season will be what happened, but the ending is essentially told at the beginning.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
maurvir posted:
Ok, fair point on Rogue One. However, that was a movie, not a series. In a series, you are supposed to build a "rapport" with the characters over time.

Also, the very first episode makes it crystal clear that no one makes it at the end. The whole first season will be what happened, but the ending is essentially told at the beginning.

That's one option. It's been done before, "starting at the end" and then telling the whole story. OR, somtimes that wasn't really the end and there's more after that.

OR, my crazy theory (or one of them) it was all an hallucination, caused not my the telepath onboard, but by the aliens they're going to meet. I said crazy theory, don't ask me to elaborate, please.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

And don't forget: George R. R. Martin, sci-fi, horror. That's more than enough to make me want to watch it.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
A Bit Of Fry & Laurie. (eMule)
Yori Program
"Soupy twist"
heh, on Thursday's Good Place episode they all got turned into Janets and are hanging around in Janet's void.
user Stupid cockwomble
Killing Eve

Sandra Oh begins life as an MI5 agent.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
What good series' are on HBO and Showtime?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Besides GOT and Westworld?
Well, Dish and HBO are still on the outs and HBO's channels have been pulled off the Dish Network, so I havent had HBO for several weeks. Honestly, I don't miss it much.
I have this idea to try to change my plan to lower my bill, but I need to get a streaming box. I really want an Apple TV, but a Roku 4K is half the price, so ... I haven't made up my mind.
user Stupid cockwomble
those streaming boxes are great

I have 2 Apple TVs, the newer one in the bedroom to stream Hulu Live TV and the older one in the living room for quick access to commercial free Hulu. I use the Hulu app on my Xbox One to watch Hulu Live there.
user posted:
Killing Eve

Sandra Oh begins life as an MI5 agent.

That's a great bit of story telling.

I highly recommend another short series by the same writer and producer of Killing Eve (phoebe Waller-Bridge) called Fleabag.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Blue Bloods.
Watched three eps and quit in disgust. The most unalloyed pro-pig propaganda I have seen since the original Drag Net.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
The thing I don't like about the streaming boxes is all the time you waste (well, me anyway) trying to decide what to watch. Sometimes I'd rather just push the button and stare mindlessly at whatever flashing colored lights appear.
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
If you have a TiVo it presents all of the streaming services as if they were channels. It's really good.
Upstart Crow (eMule, BBC) David Mitchell is William Shakespeare. Written by the same guy who wrote Blackadder and done in a similar style. Broad humour, lots of gags, plenty of references to modern interpretations of Shakespeare. Lots of fun.
maurvir Outlier
Pariah posted:
Blue Bloods.
Watched three eps and quit in disgust. The most unalloyed pro-pig propaganda I have seen since the original Drag Net.

My wife likes this show, and while I don't really care for TV in general, this show isn't that objectionable. While it is certainly "pro-police", they do cover the not-so-great parts fairly well too.
Yori Program
Ribtor posted:
Upstart Crow (eMule, BBC) David Mitchell is William Shakespeare. Written by the same guy who wrote Blackadder and done in a similar style. Broad humour, lots of gags, plenty of references to modern interpretations of Shakespeare. Lots of fun.

I missed that one. Looks like they have all 3 series on iPlayer. :)
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What TV series are you currently watching?

Page: 1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23