And... they're rebooting Xena

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Google [Bot], juice, Pariah, ukimalefu
ukimalefu Wasn't me
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
At this point maybe we should just make topics about the five historical shows they're not rebooting.

My Two Dads, anyone?

It wouldn't exactly be plausible in 2015.

Oh, wait, no. They would. It would probably just have a *completely* different backstory. :lol:
user Stupid cockwomble
My Mother The Car
maurvir Outlier
I tend to think that Xena could be redone, though I have a hard time seeing how it will be better with a different cast unless the writing is really good. The original cast was just too good at cute and cheesy. The trick will be whether they will try to keep that original tone, or try to make it darker. While a darker Xena might work, it would be a departure from the original.

I do wonder if they will stick to the X-files approach to the romance between Xena and Gabrielle (or whoever the female sidekick is), or just flat out state that they are lesbian this time around.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
I liked the Xena-Hercules crossover episodes.

There, I said it.
maurvir Outlier
ukimalefu posted:

There, I said it.

There is no shame in liking Xena: Princess Warrior. ;)

(Now, if you are a fan of The Bachelor/Bachelorette...)
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
radarman posted:
ukimalefu posted:

There, I said it.

There is no shame in liking Xena: Princess Warrior. ;)

(Now, if you are a fan of The Bachelor/Bachelorette...)

You wanna know how I know you werent a real fan? :p
TOS
don't care, never watched it
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Loved Xena, but no one can do it better than Lucy Lawless. If Bruce Campbell can still do it at 57, Lucy can still do it at 47. They should just make it a continuation.
She was mighty fine in Sparticus.
Metacell posted:
If Bruce Campbell can still do it at 57, Lucy can still do it at 47.

What?! They're remaking Brisco County Jr ?!

oh, never mind.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Xena was awesome. Loved that show.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Farmerkev posted:
She was mighty fine in Sparticus.

Many times ... :shifty:
user Stupid cockwomble
Made a nice cyborg, too.
Cylons aren't cyborgs.
Conner Of Gallifrey
theedgeofoblivious posted:
Cylons aren't cyborgs.

Granted, I'm watching the finale to the reboot tomorrow so I could be wrong if they make a sudden revelation, but I'm pretty sure the humanoid ones are cyborgs - they're clearly organic as humans can't even tell them apart from regular people, while also clearly non-organic since they can be downloaded into other bodies and interact with devices by plugging human waste into them.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
You may have noted that humans still call organic cylons "toasters".

Because they were made. By humans, originally.

But they're not cyborgs, they're artificial life.

Cyborgs are part organic, part machine.

-

Do watch Caprica. Warning: many people disliked it. I DID like it. Make your own mind.
They're two parts. There's the software part and the hardware part. And the hardware part is just a body, not a fundamental part to any of them.

They don't have to be organic to be indistinguishable from people. They just have to be close enough.

I loved Caprica. And BSG. I wanted to be a Cylon. Still do.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
ooh, also watch Blood & Chrome, it's on youtube and I think also on Netflix.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
They're two parts. There's the software part and the hardware part. And the hardware part is just a body, not a fundamental part to any of them.

They don't have to be organic to be indistinguishable from people. They just have to be close enough.

If the BSG universe was real, you are.
dv

You want to be a monotheist?
If you're asking whether I'd like to believe in something like the Christian character "God", no. I think it's a cultural mistake make that assumption.

If there really was a "God" I imagine it being so much more powerful than the Christian character, like something that would find any comparison between itself and the Christian character laughable, almost offensive, like if it had consciousness would laugh at the idea of caring about things like whether you did any work on a particular day of the week. If it even had any consciousness at all I would expect that hedonism and orgasms and people making themselves and others happy would be seen as good things, regardless of the circumstances.

I can't talk about the nature of the universe, but maybe "God" could be like a collective consciousness that everyone's part of, like a computer program all the Cylons come from.

And I don't think that it's a strict requirement to believe in a deity to be a Cylon.

I would love to be a non-Centurion Cylon.

Speaking of which, I think I'm going to rewatch BSG.
Conner Of Gallifrey
ukimalefu posted:

-

Do watch Caprica. Warning: many people disliked it. I DID like it. Make your own mind.

So… if the cylons are inorganic, how exactly did the humans cross breed with them? One would imagine that something completely nonliving would be easy to test for, while a 'cylon detector' proved to be something they were desperately looking for.
You don't know about the technology used by or available to humans in the BSG universe.

Not only that, but there was an indication that the humans in BSG were different than what we call humans.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Conner posted:
ukimalefu posted:

-

So… if the cylons are inorganic, how exactly did the humans cross breed with them? One would imagine that something completely nonliving would be easy to test for, while a 'cylon detector' proved to be something they were desperately looking for.

Yeah, but Baltar could have had a cylon detector built in an hour; he was stalling 'cause 6 threatened to rat him out.
Conner Of Gallifrey
You don't know about the technology used by or available to humans in the BSG universe.

Given the fact they have intergalactic spaceships, I think we can make some safe assumptions. Also, there's the fact that the Cylons had blood types and antibodies. We're talking about a group of people that eat, bleed and reproduce sexually. Doesn't get more organic that that.

Not only that, but there was an indication that the humans in BSG were different than what we call humans.

So the humans weren't organic either?
Conner posted:

Given the fact they have intergalactic spaceships, I think we can make some safe assumptions. Also, there's the fact that the Cylons had blood types and antibodies. We're talking about a group of people that eat, bleed and reproduce sexually. Doesn't get more organic that that.
Didn't only one of them reproduce sexually?

And my car has fluids running through it. That doesn't make it blood.

Conner posted:
So the humans weren't organic either?
Maybe not by our definition. Or maybe we wouldn't be considered by theirs.
TOS
it's not often i see such passionate debate about such a crappy show
juice Inadvertently correct
TOS posted:

Are you new here?
TOS
agedgruel posted:
TOS posted:

Are you new here?

heh
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I tried to watch it but after the second episode it felt like---"Hey let's remake Lost in Space as a Kafkaesque psychodrama about the Vietnam War."
ukimalefu Wasn't me
TOS posted:

shut up Image
Conner Of Gallifrey
Conner posted:

Didn't only one of them reproduce sexually?

And my car has fluids running through it. That doesn't make it blood.

Try doing a blood transfusion from your car to you, see if you survive it.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Spoilers

Quote:
Isis or Hera is the first, and only, known Cylon-Human hybrid child to be born and she first appears in the episode "Downloaded". She is the daughter of the Cylon Sharon "Athena" Agathon and human father Karl "Helo" Agathon. They name her "Hera" after the Colonial goddess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hera_Agathon
Conner Of Gallifrey
Should I ask Matt to trying breeding with his car too? :paranoid:
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Conner posted:
Should I ask Matt to trying breeding with his car too? :paranoid:

Maybe that's where Pixar's Cars came from.
user Stupid cockwomble
Apparently some guys do that all the time.
dv
"Mercury Mistress"

Yay SNL.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

And... they're rebooting Xena

Page: 1, 2