The Simpsons: I would be really surprised if it's not done.

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Google [Bot], juice, Pariah
Conner Of Gallifrey
radarman posted:
Conner posted:
user posted:
Yes it was.

It's a solid show worth watching, but not the freaking masterpiece most people claim it to be. It could have been, had it lasted longer, though.

You have point, but much as the first season of Stargate SG-1 didn't always hit all the high notes, the potential was there. You had a pretty solid cast, a good setting, and cool stories.

I actually really think SG-1's first season is rather strong; but that's neither here nor there. :lol:
maurvir Outlier
I didn't say the first season sucked, I just said it didn't always hit all the high notes. It was actually fairly good, but there enough rough patches that I could have seen it getting cancelled if it hadn't started on Showtime.

Of course, BSG started off MUCH better, and look how that spiraled into crap...
Conner Of Gallifrey
radarman posted:
I didn't say the first season sucked, I just said it didn't always hit all the high notes. It was actually fairly good, but there enough rough patches that I could have seen it getting cancelled if it hadn't started on Showtime.

A few of my favorite episodes are in season 1 so I actually consider it to be one of the stronger ones. It's no TNG Season 1…

radarman posted:
Of course, BSG started off MUCH better, and look how that spiraled into crap...

I'm actually watching the final season for the first time right now - should get up to the finale 3 tonight actually! I've found the final season to be pretty good, not the terrible downhill slide my friends always joked.

… So, uh, no spoilers for BSG! :lol:
maurvir Outlier
I will say this - the SG-1 team really melded as a team of actors over the years, to the point where they were pretty believable. The same is true of ST:TNG. The first season was pretty rough, but eventually they turned into a juggernaut.
TOS
Ribtor posted:
It's one of my favourite shows. Don't beat me up at recess for liking it.

and if we all loved it, you'd hate it
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I think the odd good episode still pops up occasionally.
Vulture 420
If I watch The Simpsons or Futurama, I feel myself getting dumber and it hurts.
user Stupid cockwomble
If you don't get the references in the jokes I guess it would tend to make you feel dumb.
juice Inadvertently correct
The only way to get all the references in Futurama is to hold an advanced degree in mathematics.
user Stupid cockwomble
You'd have to be Dr. Meadowlark!
Vulture 420
user posted:
If you don't get the references in the jokes I guess it would tend to make you feel dumb.

I wish it was over my head. Unfortunately it always feels like the show is written for below average IQ viewers. I tend to be looking for the fourth wall so I can look into the camera like Jack Benny.
user Stupid cockwomble
I'm really quite flabbergasted that you're making that claim, esp about Futurama.
juice Inadvertently correct
That is ridiculous.
Vulture 420
I know! I used to totally like that show ten years ago. Now it hurts. I think it's because back then there wasn't much else it could compete with. Ten years is a long time and maybe these shows don't have a lifespan that long. When I think of an episode I actually enjoyed, the only one that comes to mind is the one where they bring Calculon back from the dead. It's really about plot and the writing, and whether it's a hit or miss episode. I'm no longer wide-eyed and unconditionally loving it as soon as it comes on, which I did when it was new.
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
You're not making any sense. There are tons of really great episodes of both shows.
Vulture 420
I've tried. Sometimes there would be nothing on TV except Futurama, and I'd give it a chance, and feel like it's moving too slow. I didn't even know until now that it doesn't even exist anymore and it's all reruns. Maybe that's why, it's had starts and stops and isn't fresh anymore. I think I'm spoiled by other stupid animations like those two MacFarlane hits (not those misses), and South Park.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/simonsingh/9-ne ... .vaa0WQXpo

Tells me again how futurama makes you feel dumber...
Vulture 420
Ok. The show is still a schlocky sitcom, and it is over, so I can't be the only one who finds it mostly boring.
user Stupid cockwomble
The visuals don't hold up, I guess.

You're calling a show that's not in production dumb because you're bored with the reruns. It's wildly misplaced criticism.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roswell_That_Ends_Well

Tell me again how this Emmy award winning cartoon is "schlocky"
I mean, I get not watching reruns, I just can't seem to grasp why you even brought futurama into the conversation.
user Stupid cockwomble
The Flintstones are are an example of schlocky and dumb. The Simpsons stumbles at times but that's not it.
Vulture 420
I guess I brought it up because The same guy who did The Simpsons did Futurama, and The Simpsons should be over, and I thought somebody might understand how Futurama is similar. What I did not predict was that Futurama is unbelievably amazing and can never be criticized because it's perfect entertainment with geniuses behind it that made the best animation series in history.
I didn't say Futurama was dumb. I said it makes me feel like I have to slow down to wait for the unsatisfying humor, so it makes me feel dumb. There was a time when I thought it was amazingly exciting, probably back in 1999.
Anyway, yeah The Simpsons.
For those of you who so readily criticize the Simpsons and Futurama as not being "as good as it used to be", you might want to contemplate this.

Personally it has been many years since I've watched an entire episode of either show.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
user posted:
The visuals don't hold up, I guess.

You're calling a show that's not in production dumb because you're bored with the reruns. It's wildly misplaced criticism.

That new Jurassic World was cool.
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
I thought I was the only person who didn't really like Futurama.
Vulture 420
To be fair, I was still in my 20s in 1999, so in some ways I may be getting crotchety some 15 years later.
Incoherent even :p. Was it 1999 or "ten years ago"??
TOS
sounding kinda dumb ...
Vulture 420
Ten years ago was around when I used to still watch it. 1999 was when the show first aired.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Conner posted:

They end up going back in time to meet Wolfman Jack. One of the greatest moments of 1980.
dv
Metacell posted:
Conner posted:

They end up going back in time to meet Wolfman Jack. One of the greatest moments of 1980.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Simpsons: I would be really surprised if it's not done.

Page: 1, 2