brace yourself, uki

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
TOS
after a lifetime of gaffes and apologies, jeremy clarkson might finally get fired from "top gear" -- and the bbc -- for punching a staffer

Quote:
In the end it wasn’t Jeremy Clarkson’s racist, homophobic or sexist comments, but a “fracas” with a colleague that became the final straw for the BBC, long urged to punish its highest-paid star.

A tight-lipped corporation said on Tuesday it had suspended the controversial Top Gear presenter pending an investigation into his “fracas with a BBC producer” and, for the first time, it pulled the show from its schedule for the next two Sundays. Perhaps ominously for Clarkson, the statement said “no one else has been suspended”.

they're not even airing the show anymore, not sure if they'll even finish airing the season

top gear has always been a mixed blessing for the bbc, earning them big bucks but also costing big bucks and endless embarrassment

maybe he'll get a show on sky?
ukimalefu Wasn't me
American Top Gear guy appears on UK Top Gear and this happens.

Thank You Obama!

-
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Other sources say there was no punching.

Sign the petition. Bring Clarkson back

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson
TOS
bring him back? ew, why?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I would be happy to watch a Top Gear without Clarkson.
Maybe Fox needs a European automotive correspondent? He would fit right in.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Punching a coworker is usually a pretty good reason to get fired.
Fried Chicken Banned User(s)
Banned User(s)
Political Correctness run Amok.

Apparently the BBC really hates Clarkson, but I also imagine he is a disaster to work with.
I do wonder what will happen now.
maurvir Outlier
Everyone has known for years that Clarkson is an uncouth individual. However, he's an uncouth individual who gets viewers to tune in.

My wife likes to watch the Real Housewives crap on Bravo, and it's the same story. The ones who stay the longest are the ones who cause the most friction (uncouth individuals) Why? Because they stir crap up, and that attracts viewers. Slightly different mentality, but the same basic thinking.

The BBC may hate the guy, but I won't be surprised if he is made to give a public apology and then it's back to business.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
Alexander Supertramp posted:

Political Correctness :roll:
TOS
management has had their knives out for the guy for years, just waiting for a chance to get rid of the guy -- and now it seems they have it

when you're walking on thin ice, don't hop
ukimalefu Wasn't me
TOS posted:
management has had their knives out for the guy for years, just waiting for a chance to get rid of the guy -- and now it seems they have it

Ultimately, there are other people working on Top Gear. Why can't they go on with the show? or is Clarkson executive producer or something?

In case nobody remembers, there was another guy before James May.

I guess Clarkson insulting everybody, and the other guys insulting Clarkson is part of the show.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

Ultimately, there are other people working on Top Gear. Why can't they go on with the show? or is Clarkson executive producer or something?

In case nobody remembers, there was another guy before James May.

I guess Clarkson insulting everybody, and the other guys insulting Clarkson is part of the show.

they haven't cancelled the show yet, i doubt they will

i suspect they're huddling with a bunch of people ranging from managers to lawyers and are working out a plan

in the unlikely event that the show is cancelled, most of the crew will probably just be reassigned -- they probably have nice union contracts

my guess is they'll fire him, cut the budget and make it a much smaller show -- but who knows
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Geesie posted:
Alexander Supertramp posted:

Political Correctness :roll:

AMOK
Banned User(s)
TOS
ouch!

(sharp but fair)
TOS
clarkson admits to it, is resigned to being fired

it also seems that the production staff has turned on him ... they must be sick to death of the guy
ukimalefu Wasn't me
oh rooster!

Well, I still wish UK Top Gear keeps going.
Banned User(s)
TOS
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS
he's gone

they hope to keep the show going

and no word about shorty and slow-slow
Banned User(s)
ukimalefu Wasn't me
TOS
you know, if the idiot had shown the least bit of contrition i bet he'd still have a job
maurvir Outlier
TOS posted:
you know, if the idiot had shown the least bit of contrition i bet he'd still have a job

:lol:
TOS
well, he's apologized before ...
Banned User(s)
TOS posted:

He's got millions in the bank, he'll be fine.
TOS
ukimalefu Wasn't me
TOS posted:

Well, I read somewhere he got a netflix offer. If true, I think he should take that one.
user Stupid cockwomble
Yeah, but that's only for a free week.
user posted:
Yeah, but that's only for a free week.

:lol:
ukimalefu Wasn't me
There's hope there will be more Top Gear next year

Quote:
[BBC's Director General]...confirmed that the BBC will work to renew Top Gear TV for 2016

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/A-me ... 2015-03-27
Top Gear existed long before Clarkson, it just wasn't as entertaining. Maybe they can buy back the Fifth Gear people since they used to do it before Clarkson took over.
TOS
i'm sure they'll bring it back ... they might even make it better
TOS
by the way, the head of the bbc has gotten death threats over this
TOS
jeremy clarkson has, uh, changed

Quote:
Following what he described as a “dark night of the soul”, Clarkson said he hoped to “regain the trust of the British public” by dedicating his time and financial resources to sustainable energy, road safety and forging mutual understanding and tolerance between people of different cultures and religions.

The 54-year-old said that the “fracas” last month, in which he punched a producer on the patio of a North Yorkshire hotel, had prompted him to “re-evaluate his priorities” and reflect deeply on his life, behaviour and carbon footprint.

Quote:
“Top Gear was a wild ride for an ordinary bloke like me,” said Clarkson, speaking to the Guardian at a pub near Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire. “But there comes a time when a man’s got to ask himself what he really stands for. And for me, that’s sustainable energy, traffic calming and an end to xenophobia and prejudice.”

he's not being sarcastic ... probably
Vulture 420
What this ultimately can do is make Clarkson more famous, making him known to people who've never heard of him or the show, thereby making the show potentially more valuable with him if he can get back on it. People like my mother can say, "Oh this is that car show with that guy!", whereas now she doesn't watch the show. When I first watched the show years ago (because I haven't had cable TV for 8 years now), I thought it was highly entertaining with his ridiculous personality and opinions based on how he views life as a giant arrogant Brit getting into cars that either hold up or don't, for him, and you're always wondering why or why not because you know he's a jerk.
Banned User(s)
TOS posted:
jeremy clarkson has, uh, changed

Quote:
Following what he described as a “dark night of the soul”, Clarkson said he hoped to “regain the trust of the British public” by dedicating his time and financial resources to sustainable energy, road safety and forging mutual understanding and tolerance between people of different cultures and religions.

The 54-year-old said that the “fracas” last month, in which he punched a producer on the patio of a North Yorkshire hotel, had prompted him to “re-evaluate his priorities” and reflect deeply on his life, behaviour and carbon footprint.

Quote:
“Top Gear was a wild ride for an ordinary bloke like me,” said Clarkson, speaking to the Guardian at a pub near Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire. “But there comes a time when a man’s got to ask himself what he really stands for. And for me, that’s sustainable energy, traffic calming and an end to xenophobia and prejudice.”

he's not being sarcastic ... probably

This is satire.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Never believe anything on April 1st.
maurvir Outlier
Conner posted:
Never believe anything on April 1st.

It would really be hilarious if you told something true on April 1st, and ever one assumed it was a prank... The sheer regularity and uniformity of blatherskite on April Fool's day makes it less interesting.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

brace yourself, uki

Page: 1, 2