Game of F'ing Thrones: the F'ing Show

Page: 1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Online now: Google [Bot]
macnuke Afar
OK.. they have more recorded history than current day humans. many thousands of years that man had the ability to read and write.

question....why was gunpowder never invented in all that time?

oh yeah. not one single chinese person in the series to do it.
makes sense now.
user Stupid cockwomble
The unpredictable winter would do much to throttle innovation. How can you put back enough food when you don't know how long winter will last? A long winter would kill everyone in the cold areas.

There is also the story hints that magic was once a greater force in the world and that is where the innovation came - but the mages where all killed off as well.
TOS
macnuke posted:
OK.. they have more recorded history than current day humans. many thousands of years that man had the ability to read and write.

question....why was gunpowder never invented in all that time?

oh yeah. not one single chinese person in the series to do it.
makes sense now.

humans have around 6,000 years of recorded history

gunpowder has only existed for around 1/10 of that
macnuke Afar
they have no chinese
user Stupid cockwomble
china just did it first in our timeline, it could have been any culture
TOS
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I was disappointed. I wanted Cerci to be murdered, painfully and gruesomely, by Arya wearing Jamie's face.
However, I was not disappointed in the Clegane Bowl ! That was awesome!
Then Arya, amidst all that 9/11 imagery, gets a Deus ex horse and rides out of town. Not disappointed that Arya survives, just a bit :roll: over that horse surviving all that glorious destruction!
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
So little time to flesh out good ideas. why did they decide to rush this and last season?

I wanted to see Varys’ coup attempt at the sophistication I know he can achieve.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I think Weiss and Benioff aquired a "Let's get this over with!" attitude after the show ran past the books, and G.R.R.M. just left 'em hangin'.

Quote:
I wanted to see Varys’ coup attempt at the sophistication I know he can achieve.

I felt the same way about Littlefinger. Even for a villain, he deserved a more complicated ending.
DukeofNuke posted:
Quote:

I felt the same way about Littlefinger. Even for a villain, he deserved a more complicated ending.

Ditto that. Littlefinger, Varys and Tyrion are my three favorite characters.
DukeofNuke posted:
I was disappointed. I wanted Cerci to be murdered, painfully and gruesomely, by Arya wearing Jamie's face.
However, I was not disappointed in the Clegane Bowl ! That was awesome!
Then Arya, amidst all that 9/11 imagery, gets a Deus ex horse and rides out of town. Not disappointed that Arya survives, just a bit :roll: over that horse surviving all that glorious destruction!

You might note that with the PROBABLE exceptions of those who were clearly dead or alive by the end of this past episode such as Arya and the Clegane brothers, that in the usual GoT style that the viewer cannot know for certain that some characters are alive or dead like Schrodinger's cat at least until a dead body is absolutely identified.

My guess for the final episode? In a way the Battle for King's Landing episode is an argument to be made AGAINST the remoteness of the war that Daenerys waged by taking advantage of her remaining dragon. Once that Daenerys and Drogon had cancelled the threat of all of the anti-dragon ballistas, Jon Snow will argue that Daenerys should have left the rest of the city alone with the possible exception of the Red Keep. Daenerys will reply that the city deserved to die if only for Missandei.

At this point Arya will end the argument by stabbing Daenerys with Needle (recall that the blade was Jon's present to Arya), saying that this was for all the innocents in King's Landing. Drogon will respond by burning Arya and Jon, then wrapping her(?)/himself around Daenerys will hold watch then will self-immolate upon her death.

Who is left among the Westerosi elites? Sansa Stark and Tyrion Lannister, I think. Tyrion will send a message via crow to Sansa begging her to come down from Winterfell if only because the crowds refuse to listen to a dwarf, but Sansa will reply that the rest of the Seven Kingdoms can rot before she leaves the North much less come anywhere close to King's Landing.

Aside from MOST of the North, Westeros descends into lawless chaos.

-----

BTW: did you notice that during the Battle of King's Landing that every now and again there was a green burst of fire as a new part of the city was set alight by Drogon? Apparently these were some caches of wildfire that were not used in the defense of King's Landing at the Battle for the Blackwater.

-----

Liam Cunningham who plays Ser Davos Seaworth admitted during an interview that he took one thing from the sets of GoT that bit him back, figuratively speaking. Cunningham had taken the small wooden stag that "he" (as Ser Davos) had carved for Shireen Baratheon shortly before the Baratheon army confronts the Bolten forces outside of Winterfell back in season 5. Cunningham had given that stag figure to his own daughter, and she kept it close to her whenever she was watching GoT with the family. It was only AFTER the episode in which Stannis Baratheon makes a "royal" sacrifice of Shireen to "ensure" his victory aired that Cunningham realized what a horrible mistake it was to give his daughter that stag figure.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Robert B. posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
Quote:

Ditto that. Littlefinger, Varys and Tyrion are my three favorite characters.

For the Realm!
TOS
Robert B. posted:
So little time to flesh out good ideas. why did they decide to rush this and last season?

they've thrown away logic, things happen now just because they need to regardless of whether any of it makes sense

those scorpions started out as incredibly deadly and terrifyingly accurate because a dragon needed to die, but then they became utterly useless

the plot is full of stuff like that, it's ridiculous
TOS
however, there are still memes

macnuke Afar
I like that one :up:
user Stupid cockwomble
The Imp will be toast, unfortunately.
DEyncourt posted:
[snip]Aside from MOST of the North, Westeros descends into lawless chaos.
[snip]

Oh, I forgot: Before the fighting get hot and heavy between the Targaryen and Stark branches, Gendry leads off a contingent of knights in order to take Storm's End as his ancestral home. While it is far from smooth sailing, eventually he is able to capture Storm's End and declare himself the legitimate son of King Robert Baratheon in front of all of the other claimants.

After over a decade of lawlessness, King Gendry, first of his name, etc., actually seizes the Iron Throne. Next to him advising him is now-Maester Samwell Tarly who spent most of his time studying while also marrying Gilly and adopting Little Sam as his son and heir-apparent to House Tarly, but Samwell makes a mistake: now that Little Sam is old enough Samwell begins to fill his ears with tales of Little Sam's REAL father, Craster. When Little Sam becomes old enough in another 5 years or so, he runs off towards the north to look for traces of his real father.

After a bit, Sam Craster (as he now styles himself) declares himself the King north of the Wall (which is now just a geographic location instead of an actual barrier), thus beginning:

A Song of Fire and Ice, Volume 2: History Doesn't Repeat but It Often Rhymes.

Series final publication date: sometime in the 2040s.

user Stupid cockwomble
I bet (hope) Sam finds a clutch of dragon eggs (they did have some down time).
TOS
so apparently that latest episode was the lowest got episode

like, ever
TOS posted:
Robert B. posted:

they've thrown away logic, things happen now just because they need to regardless of whether any of it makes sense

those scorpions started out as incredibly deadly and terrifyingly accurate because a dragon needed to die, but then they became utterly useless

the plot is full of stuff like that, it's ridiculous

I think the only reason Euron managed to down Rhaegal was because it was a surprise attack. Dandy knew what to expect and was able to outmaneuver them in the latest episode exactly because she knew what to expect, and attacked them from directions they weren’t fast enough to move to. Not really ridiculous, considering that Drogon is the strongest, fastest, and most agile of the three
user posted:
I bet (hope) Sam finds a clutch of dragon eggs (they did have some down time).

Found in the pyre that Drogon created to kill HERself after Daenerys dies
I hope there are no more dragons. That would be a deus ex machina that the show doesn't need.

I’ve always described GOT as Dungeons & Dragons meets The West Wing, and it's the latter part with intrigue and statecraft that has kept the show interesting.

I’m convinced that Tyrion is the manipulator behind the scenes. That's why the "cleverest man in Westeros" keeps underestimating his sister. His recent falterings as Hand of the Queen are not mistakes. At some point he decided that Danerys could not be a proper ruler.

Throughout the story Danerys displays she has no aptitude for statecraft nor the ability to rule over people who show the slightest disagreement with her -- "Bend the knee or... I have three dragons." Her claim to the throne stems from her birthright (and successionist rulers get overthrown all the time) and her control over dragons. With dragons, she has the ability to destroy. Without dragons, she has nothing. Her loyal followers are only those she has liberated and are therefore indebted. How is she going to win over the crucial middle class and upper class houses, whose support she needs? Burn them all?

Another dragon had to die so Danerys would not be so powerful, so Tyrion withheld critical military intel about the Iron Fleet's movements. And he needed Jon Snow to not ride into battle on a dragon.

He knew exactly how to talk to his sister when Cersei was holding Missandei captive, ensuring her death. He knew how Danerys would respond, ensuring Cersei’s death and solidifying opposition to reinstating a Targaryen dynasty. He did this because he hates his family — except for his brother, who still didn’t really advocate strongly enough for him — and because he hates Kings Landing, and all the people who stood by silent while he was on trial for Joffrey‘s murder. Maybe he didn't want or expect total carnage, but he needed Kings Landing to be defeated. So he achieved his ends by letting Danerys destroy Queen Cersei and her own potential for support among the populace in Kings Landing.

He didn't want to Varys to die, but he needed Jon's secret to stay secret, if for just a little while longer. I can't yet decide if he's trying to prop Jon on the throne or gain it himself, but the former would support the reason for keeping Jon from riding into battle on a dragon. He would not be served well by association. Jon may not be the best military commander, but he does have an ability to gather consensus among diverse people. And I won't rule out Sansa on the throne either.
TOS
TOS posted:

like, ever

The entire Season 8 is way down:

Ah, by "Rating" this does NOT mean any measure of viewership. The chart above is based on Rotten Tomatoes ratings.

Someone commented that the low-rated Season 5, episode 6, is "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken" and was low-rated in part due to viewers disliking Ramsey Bolton forcing Theon Greyjoy to watch Ramsey rape Sansa Stark after their marriage.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Not a spoiler

TOS
obvs My password is "contraseña"
DEyncourt posted:
TOS posted:

like, ever

The entire Season 8 is way down:

Ah, by "Rating" this does NOT mean any measure of viewership. The chart above is based on Rotten Tomatoes ratings.

Someone commented that the low-rated Season 5, episode 6, is "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken" and was low-rated in part due to viewers disliking Ramsey Bolton forcing Theon Greyjoy to watch Ramsey rape Sansa Stark after their marriage.
Ramsey Bolton was stick fiddling awful.
user Stupid cockwomble
and really wasn't in the books - just some Bolton bastard that people mentioned in passing

I'm still halfway through the second book, maybe I'll get surprised, but they've already talked about someone else named Reek
user posted:
and really wasn't in the books - just some Bolton bastard that people mentioned in passing

I'm still halfway through the second book, maybe I'll get surprised, but they've already talked about someone else named Reek

Um, you being still in "A Clash of Kings" (book 2) you haven't gotten to what was depicted in "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken" which lies FAR ahead for you in either book 4, "A Feast for Crows", or book 5, "A Dance with Dragons" (I forget which as the first PART of "Dance" runs concurrently with "Feast", and it has been about a dozen years since I read "Feast" and about half that since I read "Dance"; my memory fades).

While GRR Martin is a bit vague about Reek at the start, before too much further in the text it will become clear that Reek is Theon Greyjoy.

If you are reading the books especially if you are avoiding the HBO series, I suspect along with many other readers that at some point GRR Martin will write a check to cover the advance that he got from Bantam Books, then Martin will declare that the HBO series is now the canon edition for "A Song of Ice and Fire" (whoops, transposed those elements in a previous post). While GoT season 1 follows the novel "A Game of Thrones" (book 1) rather closely, the HBO series starts to diverge a bit from "A Clash of Kings" (book 2) then increasingly diverges with each season.
user Stupid cockwomble
I suppose it's possible that Reek is a favorite name - how many vicious bastards does Bolton have?
user posted:
I suppose it's possible that Reek is a favorite name - how many vicious bastards does Bolton have?

Roose Bolton--the father--probably had LOTS of bastards most of whom are scarcely mentioned in either the novels or the TV series, but of vicious bastards he only had Ramsay (shoot, misspelled that. Sorry, obvs), at least of those who survived to reach his late teens.
TOS
macnuke Afar
well it's done
I was talking with a bunch of people last week, and everyone was making predictions.

I predicted that neither Daenerys or Jon Snow would end up ruling, and that it would be someone who hadn't previously been considered, because "The writers liked to fiddlesticks with the fans."

Now I did predict that both would end up dead, but as far as getting close, I think I did pretty well.
user Stupid cockwomble
ALL HAIL BRAN THE BROKEN

ALL HAIL THE QUEEN OF THE NORTH

I once went into a brothel with a honeycomb and a jackass...

After that fucktasm of the season, they ended up doing the damn thing right.

After 5 bloody years, I guess this single subject thread is finally at a well deserved end. Thanks for keeping it alive, guys.
I still can't believe I watched the whole thing in ~1 month.
dv
Quote:
I'll see you back in the States, I promise! But just in case, I left you a note!

user Stupid cockwomble
user Stupid cockwomble
Too bad Arya didn't get kill anybody.

I thought she going to lay in on Danerys.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Game of F'ing Thrones: the F'ing Show

Page: 1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24