Game of F'ing Thrones: the F'ing Show

Page: 1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Online now: Bing (sucks), DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], maurvir
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Seriously.
After Tyrion’s successful defense of Kings Landing at the Battle of the Blackwater, he couldn’t come up with a better plan that this?
Hell, Ramsey Bolton could have come up with a better plan.
Jon Snow knows nothing ...
DukeofNuke posted:
Quote:
Anyone else want to complain how the low contrast in this past episode was such that I for one saw mostly anonymous dark shapes moving against a slightly darker background?

Yeah that bothered me too; but ...
https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2019/04/ ... atography/

Meh.

They should have run a test screening using their "dark cinematography". I'm sure that a high percentage of the viewing audience would have complained with comments like "With the exception of Daenerys I couldn't tell who most of the characters were unless they spoke."

There are reasons why lighting in movies and TV programming and even still photography is "unnaturally" bright.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Prediction 1) Wouldn’t it be great if Daenerys’ ambition drives her to the edge against her enemies and forces even her own advisors to rethink their loyalties? It’s happened repeatedly throughout the show. Now, maybe she orders to have Sansa killed, forcing Ser Brienne to protect her by killing Daenerys? And now Brienne is the queenslayer.

And that’s how Sansa becomes queen. Badass.

Prediction 2) Arya continues to work through her murder list. As she gets the near end, or perhaps she completes it, the Faceless Men finally show up to balance the scale. And now she really is no one.

Prediction 3) John Snow, who never wanted to sit on a throne, and is disturbed by Daenerys' mad ambition, leaves to go live north of the wall. He realizes he never got over Ygritte and that the free folk life is really what's for him.

Prediction 4) Danaerys and party arrive to Kings Landing. The secret is out and so the Iron Bank/Golden Company evaluates it’s option and switches support to the Targaryens. Euron Gray J slimily tries to cozy up to Daeneryus, but is challenged Grey Dub. Euron kills Gray Dub.

Last edited by Robert B. on Thu May 09, 2019 4:12 pm.

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Remember the visions she had in the Wizards castle? In one, she sat on the Iron Throne, but the throne room was burned to a crisp, utterly destroyed. I think that was some foreshadowing.
user Stupid cockwomble
...the sign of quality fiction!
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFWovtMAGwA

warning, contains Game of Thrones clips, not necessarily spoilers, just maybe don't watch around anyone you wouldn't watch GoT with
SPOILER ALERT

That could have saved him. What did he do with it?
The creator of this video has compiled the opening animated titles for GoT seasons 1-7 into a montage showing all of towns.

A different tribute to GoT titles.
It was dark, but it was not that dark

https://www.boredpanda.com/game-of-thro ... -spoilers/

I guess people don't calibrate their TV screens or even know they can, or how to do it.

It looked fine on my samsung computer monitor, which I calibrated using my eyes, and the 'calibrate' option in the 'color' tab on the 'displays' system preference panel. I've done that for years each time I got a new Mac and/or a new monitor.
I DO know how to adjust the brightness on my flatscreen TV. NOTHING helped. After fiddling with the controls for several minutes to make sure that I wasn't misunderstanding them, I just gave up and let the episode play anyway.

To be sure: compared to the examples shown in uki's link, my TV was not as dark as the dark views but closer to that than the lighter views. That Grey Worm shot: I could tell that it was him but I could only JUST tell that he was standing in front of some of his troops, not that there were many ranks behind him.
jkahless Custom Title
There just wasn't any detail left in the stream I got. It was originally there, but it turned into large grey rectalinear blobs by the time it hit my TV.
user Stupid cockwomble
I had to pause it mid-way through to keep from losing my mind. The stupid warplan certainly didn't help things.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
jkahless posted:
There just wasn't any detail left in the stream I got. It was originally there, but it turned into large grey rectalinear blobs by the time it hit my TV.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been blaming everything from my internet speed, to the HDMI cables, to my mid-priced Vizio tv.
macnuke Afar
I set the display for GAMING.
and I had very little i lost. and what i did. i think it was supposed to be blackout.
user Stupid cockwomble

Only 25 grand from the custom Fender store.
obvs precoupado
I just watched this whole series in a little over three weeks.
macnuke Afar
obvs posted:

that's like serious time on your hands.
so what you think of it so far?
user Stupid cockwomble
I've been binging the older episodes all last month. Seeing new things - noticed that the god tree of the forest people had Max Von Sydow's face carved on it.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
dv
user Stupid cockwomble
mother of coffee
dv
DukeofNuke posted:

I didn't, so it didn't affect me, I don't care, it doesn't matter.

:shrug:
obvs precoupado
macnuke posted:
obvs posted:

Have you ever done something for a woman before?

It was one thing we couldn't really talk about, because I'd never watched it, but it's her favorite show.

It's a good show. And now I'm like the Rain Man of Game of Thrones, because I've seen every episode within the span of less than a month.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
obvs posted:
macnuke posted:
obvs posted:

It was one thing we couldn't really talk about, because I'd never watched it, but it's her favorite show.

It's a good show. And now I'm like the Rain Man of Game of Thrones, because I've seen every episode within the span of less than a month.

Glad to see you've found your mojo obvs. :D
TOS
so: prediction time!

1. who's going to end up on the throne?

2. list the remaining characters (as of s08e04) who you think will die
obvs precoupado
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Daenerys lives and Verys dies.
Spoiler used as a courtesy to anyone who hasn't yet seen this week's episode.

The question has to be asked: even though in our world we do not have to worry about fire-breathing flying dragons, why haven't such huge ballistas as the one which shot down Rhaegal developed at some time in our history? After all even when not used against those beasties, Euron Greyjoy turned those ballistas upon Daenerys' fleet of ships and tore them apart at a distance. Any navy fleet of Westeros or OUR world would have commanded the seas (at least until other fleets matched such devices) until the invention of gunpowder.

Chances are at many points in our history being prompted by petulant princes there were attempts at this but the people trying to make drastically bigger ballistas ran into a basic physics problem: when you proportionally increase the size of something by a factor of N times, then the cross-sectional characteristics such as tensile strength can increase by N^2 times but the three-dimensional characteristics such as overall mass increase by N^3 times. There were in our history ballistas similar to not-a-maester Qyburn's "scorpion ballista" which Ser Bronn used to WOUND Drogon in the battle between the Lannister army (which had just looted Highgarden) and the Dothraki riders led by Daenerys on Drogon. Also recall that the bolt used in that scorpion was 3 or 4 times larger than a standard crossbow bolt--let's guestimate the scorpion bolt at about a meter in length--but the mechanisms contained in that scorpion were far more massive than 3 or 4 times that for a crossbow. In any case, such devices were at least possible as GRRMartin undoubtedly was using ballistas from our history as his basis for the scorpion.

On the other hand in our history ballistas did not get much larger than said scorpion, almost undoubtedly due to limitations in woodcrafting, metallurgy and rope-making.

Now think of Euron's anti-dragon ballistas. Let's say that their bolts are 5 meters in length. That would make these bolts about 125 times more massive than the scorpion bolt, BUT Euron's ballistas looked like crossbows merely scaled up to accommodate those larger bolts.

What would have happened to such a ballista as depicted? Likely the bolt might travel dozens of feet at most, much less be launched at such speeds that would loft it hundreds of feet into the air to kill a flying dragon. Worse yet: even before its first attempted use, the wood in the limb (i.e., the spring-action crossbeam) could splinter AND/OR the rope used to launch the bolt could snap under the strain, wounding or killing everyone surrounding the ballista as the fragments get whipped around.

obvs posted:
macnuke posted:
obvs posted:

Heh. At least you didn't have to do that in ONE SITTING.

James Corden of the "Late, Late Show" likes to do these entertaining recaps of various programs including this one for GoT just before GoT season 8 started (DO NOTE: there are spoilers). After doing the recap, Corden admitted that one of his writers named Lawrence Dai has written ALL of the Late, Late Show recaps BUT Dai had not watched GoT at all.

Corden likes to have his people to do extreme things so he put Dai into a room at the studio to watch all 67 episodes of seasons 1-7, a total of 2 days, 15 hours, 30 minutes.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
DEyncourt posted:
Spoiler used as a courtesy to anyone who hasn't yet seen this week's episode.

The question has to be asked: even though in our world we do not have to worry about fire-breathing flying dragons, why haven't such huge ballistas as the one which shot down Rhaegal developed at some time in our history? After all even when not used against those beasties, Euron Greyjoy turned those ballistas upon Daenerys' fleet of ships and tore them apart at a distance. Any navy fleet of Westeros or OUR world would have commanded the seas (at least until other fleets matched such devices) until the invention of gunpowder.

Chances are at many points in our history being prompted by petulant princes there were attempts at this but the people trying to make drastically bigger ballistas ran into a basic physics problem: when you proportionally increase the size of something by a factor of N times, then the cross-sectional characteristics such as tensile strength can increase by N^2 times but the three-dimensional characteristics such as overall mass increase by N^3 times. There were in our history ballistas similar to not-a-maester Qyburn's "scorpion ballista" which Ser Bronn used to WOUND Drogon in the battle between the Lannister army (which had just looted Highgarden) and the Dothraki riders led by Daenerys on Drogon. Also recall that the bolt used in that scorpion was 3 or 4 times larger than a standard crossbow bolt--let's guestimate the scorpion bolt at about a meter in length--but the mechanisms contained in that scorpion were far more massive than 3 or 4 times that for a crossbow. In any case, such devices were at least possible as GRRMartin undoubtedly was using ballistas from our history as his basis for the scorpion.

On the other hand in our history ballistas did not get much larger than said scorpion, almost undoubtedly due to limitations in woodcrafting, metallurgy and rope-making.

Now think of Euron's anti-dragon ballistas. Let's say that their bolts are 5 meters in length. That would make these bolts about 125 times more massive than the scorpion bolt, BUT Euron's ballistas looked like crossbows merely scaled up to accommodate those larger bolts.

What would have happened to such a ballista as depicted? Likely the bolt might travel dozens of feet at most, much less be launched at such speeds that would loft it hundreds of feet into the air to kill a flying dragon. Worse yet: even before its first attempted use, the wood in the limb (i.e., the spring-action crossbeam) could splinter AND/OR the rope used to launch the bolt could snap under the strain, wounding or killing everyone surrounding the ballista as the fragments get whipped around.

Roman scorpio:

I love the way you apply real-world physics to a fantasy TV show populated with dragons, zombies, and witches. IT reminds me of the "How does warp drive work?" and " "Why are Stormtroopers such bad shots?" discussions.
Just adorable.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
TOS posted:
so: prediction time!

1. who's going to end up on the throne?

2. list the remaining characters (as of s08e04) who you think will die

I'm hoping Dario will show up with a merc army of his own, just in time to save Dani's ass; and Jaqen H'ghar makes it with a Faceless Men Spec Ops team to help Arya finish her list.
macnuke Afar
The Throne will be Sansa's ..just about all the other ones will be dead...she will rule from the north because her history in Kings landing..the iron throne will be melted down by gendry for scrap. Tyrion will survive. And Aria will roam the empire taking care of dissidents.
jkahless Custom Title
Either Dany will kill Jon or Jon will kill Dany after she wipes Kings Landing and it's people from the face of the map.
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
[snip of quote and pic]

I love the way you apply real-world physics to a fantasy TV show populated with dragons, zombies, and witches. IT reminds me of the "How does warp drive work?" and " "Why are Stormtroopers such bad shots?" discussions.
Just adorable.

There are "rules" for GOOD science fiction and fantasy, otherwise the writers could have Euron Greyjoy create a dragon-killing gattling gun or even helos to give his side the advantage.

I suppose that "Why are Stormtroopers is EVERYONE in Star Wars such bad shots (except when it counts)?" might lead to "serious" discussions, perhaps among those people who didn't recognize that the question was largely a rhetorical one pointing out a consistent problem in the Star Wars universe. C'mon: for over 30 seconds Luke Skywalker could hit only one or two of the stormtroopers--nearly all of whom (including Luke) are practically standing still out in the open--but can hit the much-smaller-than-a-man controls for the door when Han Solo yells at him to "Blast the door, kid!"? And how is that Darth Vader couldn't have used the Force to open that landing bay door and kept the Millennium Falcon from leaving? And this? And.... And....

Before you ask: yeah, George Lucas can spin a pretty good yarn (at least way back in the 1970's) but even the original Star Wars was far from GOOD science fiction.
Star Wars is not science fiction, it's fantasy :p
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
DEyncourt posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
[snip of quote and pic]

Just adorable.

There are "rules" for GOOD science fiction and fantasy, otherwise the writers could have Euron Greyjoy create a dragon-killing gattling gun or even helos to give his side the advantage.

I suppose that "Why are Stormtroopers is EVERYONE in Star Wars such bad shots (except when it counts)?" might lead to "serious" discussions, perhaps among those people who didn't recognize that the question was largely a rhetorical one pointing out a consistent problem in the Star Wars universe. C'mon: for over 30 seconds Luke Skywalker could hit only one or two of the stormtroopers--nearly all of whom (including Luke) are practically standing still out in the open--but can hit the much-smaller-than-a-man controls for the door when Han Solo yells at him to "Blast the door, kid!"? And how is that Darth Vader couldn't have used the Force to open that landing bay door and kept the Millennium Falcon from leaving? And this? And.... And....

Before you ask: yeah, George Lucas can spin a pretty good yarn (at least way back in the 1970's) but even the original Star Wars was far from GOOD science fiction.

I get where you're coming from; but my point is that people can get hung-up on the technicalities, and it ruins a good story for them. I'm guilty of it too.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Game of F'ing Thrones: the F'ing Show

Page: 1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24