Game of F'ing Thrones: the F'ing Show

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
TOS posted:
wake me when the zombies arrive

No zombies for Westeros. Those white walker thingies are wights.
user Stupid cockwomble
They explode?
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
user posted:
They explode?

Myth is still the greatest.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Robert B. posted:
Actually three things that are boring the crap outta me: Danaerys Targaeryn, Jon Snow and Ygritte.

Have you read the books? her stuff is even more boring in there and doesn't get better. (at least it hasn't yet) The pacing on her story is just off compared to the rest. I think they've done a decent job making her arc at least watchable.
TOS
user posted:
They explode?

lol
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
user Stupid cockwomble
You pay for them.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
mmaverick posted:
Robert B. posted:
Actually three things that are boring the crap outta me: Danaerys Targaeryn, Jon Snow and Ygritte.

Have you read the books? her stuff is even more boring in there and doesn't get better. (at least it hasn't yet) The pacing on her story is just off compared to the rest. I think they've done a decent job making her arc at least watchable.

Actually, no, I have not read the books yet. I thought I'd let the tv series get far enough ahead to avoid spoiling it.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
You'll be waiting a while.
Season 3 ended in the middle of book three, and books 4 and 5 run concurrently.

and (I'll just say this ...) at the end of book 5, everybody is stick fiddled ... and the only thing I could think at the end of that last page was, "How the Hell is he (GRRM) gonna fix this mess?"
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
Uggh GoT book readers are the worst (in my experience). "Oh I won't give anything away I swear!", then lots of winks and nods and "oh this part!" or "that was foreshadow....!"

"What, that's not a spoiler!" No, just stop.
TOS
bratboy posted:
Uggh GoT book readers are the worst (in my experience). "Oh I won't give anything away I swear!", then lots of winks and nods and "oh this part!" or "that was foreshadow....!"

"What, that's not a spoiler!" No, just stop.

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Ok. My apologies. It can be hard to contain the enthusiasm.
user Stupid cockwomble
ALL the chickens.
Robert B. posted:

Thats because of the way they draw it out; Jon's chapters are favorites for many in the books. They chopped up and messed up his character a lot in my opinion, especially last season. The book had a different dynamic with his involvement with the wildlings etc that they changed for the show, and I don't think it was for the better.

I do love the casting of Rose Leslie as Ygritte, though.

Danaerys' chapters are dreadful at this point. I think that when he started writing her part, he envisioned her overall arch for the series, and had a clear vision of where she was going and what she was going to be doing, but as the series is being written, there's so much else he is including taking place elsewhere. So, because she needs to be a prominent character, her path wasn't originally supposed to be as complicated, so he has to invent a bunch of crap for her to do and her chapters are just wandering and meandering and the most boring in the books to me. The first book, she rocked, the second, not as much, and it just went downhill.

The other thing is the developments north of the wall in the first book, with the Stark mantra "winter is coming" which indicated much more of a focus on that front rising up as a major theme in concert with the Targaeryn queen rising up. Both are set back by the political developments that begin overwhelming that original direction. So, in a way, it doesn't surprise me when the adaptation into tv has to make changes that the major characters featured in those storylines seem boring.
Part of Martin's problem is that Daenerys' dragons have to grow up to become the world-altering factor behind her--as they currently are in the HBO series they only have the potential of becoming so. Personally I have some thoughts on their future: [not a spoiler] what? You think I am going to ruin such in a thread in which people have expressed hatred of spoilers from the books, which I imagine would be much less than that for readers' speculation on where the books are going? Perhaps in separate thread from this one which is explicitly for the HBO series. [/not a spoiler]
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Please; speculate away!

It's quite clear that GOT does not follow exactly the same as Song of Fire and Ice.
so, just because something happens in the books does not necessarily mean it's going to happen on the show.
And, the last book ends with everybody in their own cliff-hanger (com'on, what did you expect?) so nothing is resolved.
I don't think GRRM can tie up all the lose ends in two books.

Hell, this show could go on longer than Days of Our Lives.

Westeros Forever !!!
DukeofNuke posted:
And, the last book ends with everybody in their own cliff-hanger (com'on, what did you expect?) so nothing is resolved.

I hate you. Stop spoiling.
I have taken away that no one should expect resolution of anything until the end of the seventh book. You get mini-perks, like Arya getting Needle back, or the Hound finding peace at the monastery, or Arya getting back her sight, or battles ending that wrap up one development or another, although the war at large still continues unresolved.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
StaticAge posted:
Robert B. posted:

Thats because of the way they draw it out; Jon's chapters are favorites for many in the books. They chopped up and messed up his character a lot in my opinion, especially last season. The book had a different dynamic with his involvement with the wildlings etc that they changed for the show, and I don't think it was for the better.

No, it's because Jon Snow is a Boy Scout and
I can't stand Boy Scouts, and Ygritte is annoying as hell.
Well, he's no Greyjoy, I suppose. All the Stark dudes are Boy Scouts. It's why Eddard got killed, it's why Robb married the nobody and got killed, etc.
What's the Boy Scouts policy on homosexuals in the Game of Thrones universe?
dv
Alexander Supertramp posted:
What's the Boy Scouts policy on homosexuals in the Game of Thrones universe?

Not as harsh as their view of incest.

But marrying a 13-year-old girl is totally cool.
user Stupid cockwomble
Just so long as you make an honest girl of her.
Well I'm enjoying this season so far...

:eek:
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Did NOT see that coming?

The question now is, "W.W.T.D.?"

(What would Tyrion do?)
user Stupid cockwomble
Just when I was thinking that I just can't wait for Geoffrey to get his. Surprised the Dwarf didn't have the presence of mind to get the fiddlesticks out.
TOS
shut up and drink your wine
user Stupid cockwomble
righto!

:: literally refills glass ::
user Stupid cockwomble
Scary how quickly she turned against her brother - but not all that surprising. Can't imagine Poppa Lanister letting it continue against his son. After all, he married him to the Stark girl for good strategic reasons.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Cerci did not "quickly" turn against her brother, she's been trying to kill him since ... forever. Recall, that's how he got his scar; Cerci's man tried to kill him in the Battle of Blackwater, but Podrick saved him (which earned him a six-whore night at Littlefinger's ... "A Lanaster always pays his debts.")
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
"Thank you for killing Joffery" ?
user Stupid cockwomble
Oh, that was going to happen eventually.

Also, his new wife seemed mighty unconcerned that she was marrying a monster. With one act of poison, the Tyrells are on the throne and the Lanisters are out on their butts.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
there's still a lot of politics to play out.
Margery can't just be The Queen now, because the crown would pass to Joffery's little brother.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Game of F'ing Thrones: the F'ing Show

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24