Game of F'ing Thrones: the F'ing Show

Page: 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24
Online now: Google [Bot], ukimalefu
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
I may want to read the books someday.

Sometimes, people (not necessarily here) discuss things that haven't happened on the show yet.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
StaticAge posted:
I don't understand why people get in a tiff about people comparing books with the show or movie etc.

If I never read the books and am discussing the show or movie with those who have I kinda like knowing how the story also happened. If you're discussing a movie or show or what have you, then you're already expanding what your experience had been just by watching it, even if no one mentions the books or comics or historical facts or other original source material.

It's because they are different entities. We should be able to discuss the show as it's own thing–its story, pacing, characters etc–not as an endless comparison to the books.
Stone's JFK was a separate entity from the actual assassination of JFK but to me it is common sense that the common stuff of history would be included in any normal discussion of that film. Same with superhero movies and comics. When a popular x gets made into a new x, it's totally unsurprising that both are compared in conversation about either.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Making a hit tv show is such hard work!

TOS
i believe the super tall blonde is going to be in the new star wars
user Stupid cockwomble
Yoda's partner?
TOS posted:
i believe the super tall blonde is going to be in the new star wars

Indeed. Tarth Vader.

:D
Book readers shall fly

Pariah Know Your Enemy
Alexander Supertramp posted:
StaticAge posted:
I don't understand why people get in a tiff about people comparing books with the show or movie etc.

If I never read the books and am discussing the show or movie with those who have I kinda like knowing how the story also happened. If you're discussing a movie or show or what have you, then you're already expanding what your experience had been just by watching it, even if no one mentions the books or comics or historical facts or other original source material.

It's because they are different entities. We should be able to discuss the show as it's own thing–its story, pacing, characters etc–not as an endless comparison to the books.

Bringing the book into the discussion pushes out people who have not read the books. Not just here but all over, fanatic book fans are turning every thread on every forum from a thread about the show to a thread about the book. Or into an argument about the thread being hijacked.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Do you guys talk about GOT with people on Monday morning?
Like, at work around the water cooler. Do you watch with your SO? Do you have anybody else in your life you can share your enthusiasm for the tv show and/or the books?

Nobody I know IRL watches; despite my enthusiastic proselytizing.

I've lived in this pop-culture wasteland for years, surrounded by mothers and grandmothers whose only (understandably) topics of discussion are their children's/grandchildren's prowess in sports; or some imagined infraction by one of those "stupid teachers".

These women have no time for "Such foolishness ..." as shows about knights and dragons, or anything with the word "Star" in the title.

... but they DVR "Jerry Springer" ...
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I was gonna uncouth individual about wasting a whole episode on events at the wall, but then Ygritte got killed, so I guess it was worth it.
Got $20,000 to spare? George R. R. Martin will name a future character after you (who will die a grisy death) for that much which will go to a couple of charities: the Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary and the Food Depot of northern New Mexido. Other prizes for other levels of donation include a script of the first episode signed by all of the cast members (for $4,500), and all donors to this crowdfunded project will be eligible for a grand prize which will fly you and a friend out to Sante Fe to spend a day with Martin where you will be flown out by helicopter to the Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary to meet the wolves there and talk about all things Fire and Ice.

While it is a nice idea, but Write Like the Wind George R. R. Martin!
Robert B. posted:
I was gonna uncouth individual about wasting a whole episode on events at the wall, but then Ygritte got killed, so I guess it was worth it.

I liked it. Nicely told, sort-of encapsulated story, entirely at one location, which GoT rarely does. I don't think there's been an episode like that since Blackwater in season 1.
The giants and their steeds were a fun new thing. I liked it when one shot his bow at the guy on top of the wall and it cut to him falling down below among the fighting in the castle.

The wall-anchor thing that knocked down all the climbers was also a rad trick.

I've enjoyed Jon Snow and Sam(?)'s growth as characters. It feels like they've earned the purpose they do things with.

user Stupid cockwomble
:: itches to click the spoiler tags ::

I did click Robert's, but I'm not all that solid on the character names anyway. Think I know who they are, but the spelling is never what I would have imagined. Kinda obvious I haven't read the books (I've got most of them as e-files but have held off while I watch the series).

I'll watch this episode tonight. Last week I stayed up to watch it and couldn't get to sleep and I have class in the AM.
It's really good. I'm still thinking about it. One thing that occurred to me was how huge the scale was for television.
user Stupid cockwomble
The wall-anchor thing that knocked down all the climbers was also a rad trick.

Hells yes! Pull it back up, boys!
user Stupid cockwomble
Guess this is going to be how Jon Snow finally hooks up with his little brother.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
ewww...

... fuckin' Game of Thrones, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFpUfbkmw18

Last edited by Robert B. on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:05 pm.

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
BIG SPOILER ALERT

If you're not up to date, DO NOT watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4oQzTGTc_g
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I just want to go back an episode and say, "SANSA! You go girl!"
Remember back in season 1 or 2 , when Littlefinger told her what a bad liar she was?
Well, I guess you hang out with the best of 'em long enough, you learn something!

Last edited by DukeofNuke on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:20 pm.

jkahless Custom Title
ukimalefu posted:
BIG SPOILER ALERT

If you're not up to date, DO NOT watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4oQzTGTc_g

:lol:
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
DukeofNuke posted:
Nobody I know IRL watches; despite my enthusiastic proselytizing.

Yeah, I know lots of people that watch.

This week's episode was frickin' awesome (finally had a chance to watch it last night)!
user Stupid cockwomble
DukeofNuke posted:
I just want to go back an episode and say, "SANSA! You go girl!"
Remember back in season 1 or 2 , when Littlefinger told her what a bad liar she was?
Well, I guess you hang out with the best of 'em long enough, you learn something!

I really like smart Sansa. It's been interesting how she has been portrayed in the show as being more instinctively queen-like compared to Circe. She's lost her innocence now and is starting to take charge of her life.

I'm thinking that she's going to find a way to use her marriage to the dwarf in her favor. If he lives.

KHUU! KHUU! KHUU!
All spoiler post!

I am not certain I like having Brienne (essentially) kill the Hound. I did like that they had Arya let him suffer instead of ending him.

I thought the last two minutes would be Tyrion killing Shae and then Tywin. I was really glad to see that it happened as it should have, but I was surprised they gave Arya the last scene of the season. I expected those two sequences to be swapped.

Did anyone else notice that Varys was sitting next to the crate with holes that he put Tyrion in and loaded onto the ship? Will this be another change and Varys leaves Kings Landing? I sure hope not!

jkahless Custom Title
Well happy fathers day eh?
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
Warin posted:
Did anyone else notice that Varys was sitting next to the crate with holes that he put Tyrion in and loaded onto the ship? Will this be another change and Varys leaves Kings Landing? I sure hope not!

It appeared as if he heard the bells begin to toll (I assume announcing Tywin was dead, but possibly that Tyrion and escaped?) and he decided to board the ship as well...
bratboy posted:
Warin posted:

It appeared as if he heard the bells begin to toll (I assume announcing Tywin was dead, but possibly that Tyrion and escaped?) and he decided to board the ship as well...

That was my read as well.
Warin posted:
All spoiler post!

I am not certain I like having Brienne (essentially) kill the Hound. I did like that they had Arya let him suffer instead of ending him.

I've watched this show long enough to not assume anyone is dead unless they explicitly show them die. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Hound come back at some point. I want to see a Hound/Mountain family reunion.
All in all, an enjoyable season.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Farmerkev posted:
All in all, an enjoyable season.

A good time was had by....well, pretty much nobody.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
bratboy posted:
Warin posted:

That was my read as well.

I saw it more as that he didn't want Tyrion to have to be alone in his box so he was keeping him company.
user Stupid cockwomble
The Hound is still alive, recall that his hated brother was in the process of being saved. Arya may yet end up killing him when she returns after the Hound has had it out with the Mountain.
I would comment on all of the supposition, but we aren't allowed to talk about the books here.
jkahless Custom Title
Warin posted:
All spoiler post!

I've watched this show long enough to not assume anyone is dead unless they explicitly show them die. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Hound come back at some point. I want to see a Hound/Mountain family reunion.

That would be rather nice. :)
Who was that guy getting worked on by the Maesters near the beginning of the episode? Was that the Mountain?
user Stupid cockwomble
Also, molotov throwing elf, Prince of Persia 2 skeletons and old man in the tree. That was something.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Game of F'ing Thrones: the F'ing Show

Page: 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24