Music videos

Page: 1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
user Stupid cockwomble
She sings like Joplin but moves like Cocker. I hope she fixes that squeaky high note but that might smooth out with maturity.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I absolutely love her!
user Stupid cockwomble
Toni Basil dancing at 74

Last edited by user on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:51 am.

user Stupid cockwomble
dammit

I don't don't know how I get my wires crossed up so bad that I type something else.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I don't think it's one of her better songs musically, but as a work of philosophical art and drama, the intro and concept are fantastic.
Lady Gaga - Born This Way
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
"Love Wins" by Carrie Underwood

It's powerful to see one of the most popular country musicians release something like this.
dv
obvs posted:

It's powerful to see one of the most popular country musicians release something like this.

Urban liberalism is infectious.
obvs posted:

Obviously you have fallen too far from your father's tree.

I like Underwood's probably--I do not follow her closely enough to have any certainty on this--liberal sentiment underlying this song, but I also immediately thought that some fundamentalists would jump in with variations upon: "Ain't JESUS wonderful? Aren't we all better recognizing the Power and Glory of GOD'S LOVE?"

There are some hammers out there for whom EVERYTHING looks like a nail.
Carrie Underwood, in 2012:
Earlier this month while being interviewed by the U.K. paper The Independent, Underwood revealed that she supports LGBT equality. "I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love,"she said, before adding, "Our church is gay friendly," she says. "Above all, God wanted us to love others. It's not about setting rules, or [saying] 'everyone has to be like me.' No. We're all different. That's what makes us special. We have to love each other and get on with each other. It's not up to me to judge anybody."
And the video is full of rainbows and has lyrics referencing prejudice.

And the song is titled "Love Wins," which is the exact phrase repeated over and over after the Supreme Court ruled that gay marriage was legal in the whole country.

They can claim whatever they want about the video, but it's pretty blatantly obvious what the video is saying.

And hell, if Christians demonstrated the sentiments in that song, I would have a lot fewer problems with Christians.
Metacell posted:
I don't think it's one of her better songs musically, but as a work of philosophical art and drama, the intro and concept are fantastic.

I hear what Madonna was talking about.
Ribtor posted:
Metacell posted:

I hear what Madonna was talking about.

There is no doubt that the music is nearly identical...part of the cookie cutter fabric of the genre using the same guaranteed chord progressions and beats. Wouldn't surprise me if Max Martin just copied himself. Lady Gaga is a vastly superior lyricist though. AFAIK she writes most of her own lyrics. Madaonna's lyrics always strike me as the crap 12 year old girls write on the edges of their spiral notebooks in junior high.
juice Inadvertently correct
The Weird Al version is better.
dv
juice posted:
The Weird Al version is better.

Well, obviously...I've seen him perform it live dressed up as a peacock. In general, Weird Al is the best bargain in show business as he will save you $thousands$ in tickets on lesser acts that will bring lesser enjoyment.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir Outlier
Pariah posted:

Yeah, those guys rock hard. Ballsy doing that with only one bow each, too. They both looked they were down to about 50% or less by the end of that video.
maurvir Outlier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMzua0mwrVk

This song, and this artist, is amazing. I also found it through the record play in Chris' house in the Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit. At first, I thought they had gotten Tori Amos, because she sounds so similar, and the music is definitely something Tori would have played in the day.
maurvir posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMzua0mwrVk

This song, and this artist, is amazing. I also found it through the record play in Chris' house in the Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit. At first, I thought they had gotten Tori Amos, because she sounds so similar, and the music is definitely something Tori would have played in the day.

Reminds me of Kate Bush...which is about a good as it gets IMO.
maurvir Outlier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqbOiDsI798

She sounds amazing... to be freaking 15. There are women twice her age who can't sing a fraction as well.
maurvir posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqbOiDsI798

She sounds amazing... to be freaking 15. There are women twice her age who can't sing a fraction as well.

Ms. Aimee Banks singing is absolutely lovely. Everyone should LISTEN to the link to hear a pure performance regardless of your tastes in music.

On the other hand: THAT video is rather abysmal. I'm afraid that someone amateurish had gotten his hands on some professional tools to make that video only...to...very...steadily...switch...cameras...with...her...every...phrase. Sure, it was a good variety of shots from a variety of POVs including some in-audience shots of enraptured listeners, but that steady rhythm had me sitting there thinking: "Change...NOW...and change...NOW."

Seriously, listen to this music video playing in the background behind other windows fully covering its screen. I think you will like it MUCH better than watching it.
user Stupid cockwomble
Had no idea how to find the natural changes in the music to switch.

I did better shooting videos of folk bands for public access tv.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
RE: camera work. I have utterly forgotten the name of the band, but one time a band played the same song live on "The Daily Show" followed by being on "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" within a week.

Their appearance on TDS was decent but their performance on LSSC was GREAT. The sharp contrast showed me what an excellent director with the right tools AND probably time for rehearsals can do. There was one particular point when the drummer (I think) had raised up a set of "jingle bells" like these:

to shake them. That particular musical point wasn't important overall, but the LSSC director used shots from different directions isolating the drummer with bells in hand when he shook them, one of them a close-up just showing his hand with the bells. All of these shots lasted just long enough to see the bells shake, then switched to other cameras.

I could not recall those bells at all during the TDS performance.
Wow. I don't say this often but I'm going out to get the Lawrence CDs ASAP (yeah, yeah, I'm old fashioned. I like physical media). YouTube videos for songs from their first album at link.

BTW: I wrote the above while just listening to the tracks. Right now I have just watched the video for "Make a Move". Man, I am utterly charmed.
Well, I did not find any of the Lawrence CDs at my Barnes & Noble.

So instead I went to the Apple iTunes Store and got their albums. Not only was there "Living Room" (their just-released album) and "Breakfast" (their first album), but there was also "Breakfast: Unscrambled (Acoustic Sessions)".

Listening to "Breakfast: Unscrambled" right now, specifically "Where It Started From (Live) [Acoustic]", and grinning at their lovely vocals.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
ukimalefu posted:

:lol: I just watched this and came here to post it.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
ukimalefu Wasn't me
maurvir Outlier
Noir Nights - A Cyberpunk Noir soundtrack

Quote:
You lived a life of privilege and comfort sheltered in the upper city until one day a chance encounter turns your world upside down. Reluctantly , now you must travel to the lower city that holds the only key to your way out of this mess. Along the way, you uncover more than you ever expected, and you find out the truth behind all the lies you’ve been told. What you do with this information is up to you. From the splendors of the Upper City to the grim realities of the Lower City, these are your Noir Nights. "You were one of the elite, now you're one of us."

I haven't finished, but this is a very evocative mix so far.
An acoustic take of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" recorded in 1968.

Included on "The Beatles (White Album) Super Deluxe Edition" which set to be released in November.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pa9x9fZBtY

Knopfler and Dire Straits live and in fine form.
maurvir Outlier
I have the "Africa" cover on my phone and in regular rotation.
Courtesy of this week's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me": "Sarah Brightman & Hot Gossip - I Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper".

Brightman was the NPR show's guest for its "Not My Job" segment. BTW: she was very charming AND funny. You can listen to the program here though you might have to scroll down to find Brightman's episode.

She was only 17-18 when that song was released in 1978. It doesn't take much effort to recognize her voice despite that recording being from 40 years ago.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Music videos

Page: 1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10