Page: 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Online now: Google [Bot]
maurvir Outlier
Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal

Just because it's STILL freaking awesome. :up:
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
ukimalefu Wasn't me
ukimalefu Wasn't me
OK, this is a bit weird: "Lana Del Rey Says Radiohead Lawsuit Is Over".

While Del Rey did acknowledge that her song "Get Free" used some musical elements from Radiohead's "Creep", AT FIRST the lawyers for Radiohead wanted 100% of her publishing rights for her song (she was willing to give up 40%).

But what that first link does NOT explain is that part of the reason why Radiohead lawsuit was dropped is that NOW "Creep" is co-owned by the Hollies because of that song's similarities with "The Air That I Breathe".
maurvir Outlier
DEyncourt posted:

While Del Rey did acknowledge that her song "Get Free" used some musical elements from Radiohead's "Creep", AT FIRST the lawyers for Radiohead wanted 100% of her publishing rights for her song (she was willing to give up 40%).

But what that first link does NOT explain is that part of the reason why Radiohead lawsuit was dropped is that NOW "Creep" is co-owned by the Hollies because of that song's similarities with "The Air That I Breathe".

I found a different comparison video, and I can sort of see the issue. However, asking for 100% was a dick move, especially when offered nearly half. As a result, I'm glad they ended up with squat.
maurvir posted:
DEyncourt posted:

I found a different comparison video, and I can sort of see the issue. However, asking for 100% was a dick move, especially when offered nearly half. As a result, I'm glad they ended up with squat.

OK, some background: according to Wikipedia the songwriters for "The Air That I Breathe" (and NOT members of the Hollies) Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood sued Radiohead, winning that suit and thus getting a writing credit and some of the royalties from each sale for "Creep" when sung/played by Radiohead. Apparently this was done relatively amicably.

BUT the people responsible for suing Lana Del Rey were NOT Radiohead but Warner/Chappell Music (so my apologies to Radiohead). Y'know, those guys who defended for years their copyright to "Happy Birthday" when it was later discovered that they didn't have a legal leg to stand on? There were questions on whether or not they really could have sued Del Rey in the first place, and the answer to that is "probably not" based on Warner's statement denying that ANY copyright lawsuit was filed (but it was still a dick move for Warner to place any blame on Radiohead in their statement).
maurvir Outlier
Good. I was about to be disappointed in Radiohead, and that would have made me sad. Warner/Chappell are known scumbags, so their getting their comeuppance is awesome.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
One Hundred Hunters - A visit from the Moon

awesome sci-fi music video made with NASA and military archival footage
ukimalefu Wasn't me
user Stupid cockwomble
ukimalefu Wasn't me
DIE ANTWOORD ft. The Black Goat ‘ALIEN’ (Official Video)

Slightly NSFW

This is not what you'd expect from them, it's a soft, slow tune, so maybe give it a chance if you haven't liked what they have done before.
maurvir Outlier
ukimalefu posted:
DIE ANTWOORD ft. The Black Goat ‘ALIEN’ (Official Video)

Slightly NSFW

This is not what you'd expect from them, it's a soft, slow tune, so maybe give it a chance if you haven't liked what they have done before.

That's a pretty solid video. I mean, I haven't seen a video like that since the 90's - and that's a compliment. The ending, however, was a bit odd. I guess the alien decided conformity wasn't so bad after all?
maurvir Outlier
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way

There are some really nice driving stunts in this video. :up: (also, RHCP)
maurvir Outlier
R.I.P. pianist Henry Butler. YouTube video of a performance at link.

Personally I THINK I had never heard of Butler before (never having been to New Orleans). This is much to my regret (listening to that video again right now).
user Stupid cockwomble
https://youtu.be/HXm8JdC4k4c

And now for something completely different.

Babes on bagpipes.
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
user posted:

Babes on bagpipes.
Awesome.

And then Enter Sandman.

Completely badass.

:2up:
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
obvs posted:
user posted:

Babes on bagpipes.
Awesome.

And then Enter Sandman.

Completely badass.

:2up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYSxOj6W7IQ
Judith Owen's version of Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff". YouTube video at link.

Owen plans to release videos for each of the songs on her current album titled "redisCOVERed" in which she has covered music by other artists, so it might be more instructive to watch Drake's "Hotline Bling" BEFORE watching Owen's version.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
DEyncourt posted:
Judith Owen's version of Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff". YouTube video at link.

Owen plans to release videos for each of the songs on her current album titled "redisCOVERed" in which she has covered music by other artists, so it might be more instructive to watch Drake's "Hotline Bling" BEFORE watching Owen's version.

:up:

she's great
A couple of examples of superb guitarwork by Tommy Emmanuel. YouTube videos at the link, the first being "Purple Haze" with Jerry Douglas on slide guitar, then "Africa" with Andy McKee on guitar and "percussion".
Ribtor posted:

I'm not sure why, but Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights" has been my persistent earworm since hearing this (so, yes, since the start of August).

It's not TOO bad as far as earworms go, but I'm not a particular fan of Bush nor of that song so it has been bothersome. And it has persisted despite my most desperate attempts to get rid of it ("It's a small world after all...").
ukimalefu Wasn't me
maurvir Outlier
user Stupid cockwomble
Quote:
I think I'm gonna do a Hand Solo after this vid

"Everything Is Awful" by the Decemberists (from their album "I'll Be Your Girl").
Elvis Presley sings "Unchained Melody".

This live performance was recorded in July 1977, two months before Presley's death. Even if you have never liked Elvis, give this a listen.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
DEyncourt posted:
Elvis Presley sings "Unchained Melody".

This live performance was recorded in July 1977, two months before Presley's death. Even if you have never liked Elvis, give this a listen.

Wow, at the beginning I was sure he was about to pass out (because of being overweight+drugs), but he still had the voice, he could still really sing.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
https://youtu.be/isWso61Py9E

This is Courtney Hadwin on AGT. A shy 14 year old.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Cornelius 『いつか / どこか』 Sometime / Someplace

Not sure how to describe it so I'll just write some words

jazz, rock, fusion, japanese, trippy, space, music video

:D

Lyrics translation in the video description box
user Stupid cockwomble
justine posted:

heh. Joe Cocker returns as a 14 year old girl.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
user posted:
justine posted:

heh. Joe Cocker returns as a 14 year old girl.

More like Janis Joplin!
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Music videos

Page: 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10