Apple's TV service: no swearing/sex/politics/violence/nudity

Page: 1, 2
Online now: No visible users
obvs not a cultural imperialist
Well it can be done right, but is sounds like Apple is going to be too constricting.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Great.
A "premium" service with broadcast standards and practices.
Considering that one of their grand show ideas was getting b list celebrities to sing along in a car I don't really have high hopes.
user Stupid cockwomble
they bought that one off from James
jkahless Custom Title
Hmm. Trying to decide if this bodes poorly for their adaptation of Foundation. I don't think so. To be honest I was worried they'd sex it up. But as a service wide standard? This could be project killer.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
// Marvin: "Sounds awful."
user Stupid cockwomble
My straight laced uncle once complained to me that he was tired of re-runs of "Touched By An Angel".

I guess he expected me to nod in understanding but I was like, "dude I have Game of Thrones to watch".

Apple's plan may appeal to family-frendly types but the content gets real thin for that.
Apple gets ahead of their markets so this may be an indicator of where things will be headed.
Ribtor posted:
Apple gets ahead of their markets so this may be an indicator of where things will be headed.

*snerk*

Well I for one welcome our Mormon overlords.
juice Inadvertently correct
Aside from the politics ban, this sounds more Evangelical "Christian" than Mormon.
juice posted:
Aside from the politics ban, this sounds more Evangelical "Christian" than Mormon.

OH fiddlesticks no, Evangelical overlords will bring the four horseman
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Fixin' to buy Disney?
jkahless Custom Title
Turns out it'll be free on Apple devices.
jkahless posted:
Turns out it'll be free on Apple devices.

...is it even available on other devices?
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
Sounds like they’re banking on Pixar to supply all their programming.
Mustapha Mond posted:
Sounds like they’re banking on Pixar to supply all their programming.

Well who's going to pay big money to watch people pitch weird apps
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Wouldn't Disney keep Pixar stuff for their streaming service?
Pariah posted:
Wouldn't Disney keep Pixar stuff for their streaming service?

I think Apple and Disney are cozy enough that Apple could get whatever they wanted.
TOS
oh no! what a shame ... the shortage of onscreen sex and violence is just going to grind on and on
maurvir Perfectly balanced - mostly
This isn't necessarily a bad thing. The use of sex/nudity and profanity are often stand-ins for intelligent dialog and scenes rather than the punctuation and possibly climax of a film. It's not that I am a prude, but the punch of profanity and sex is lost when they are overused.

After all, if you hear a mild-mannered accountant drop an F-bomb, you will probably sit up and pay attention whereas hearing a rap artist drop one might go entirely unnoticed. Similarly for sex. One of the more memorable aspects of the X-files was the incredible, and unrequited, sexual tension between Mulder and Sculley. I guarantee you that if they ever film a true sex scene between those two, it will be practically explosive. Compare to sex in Game of Thrones, where it doesn't even rise to the level of backdrop most of the time.

Nudity is a bit more subtle and nuanced, but the same applies. Partial nudity can be incredibly powerful, whereas full nudity often falls flat or even engenders something other than sexy. For example, I recall an incident during grad school where a cute girl was wearing this slightly sheer sundress that left everyone wondering if she was wearing underwear. Depending on how she stood in the light, you could almost, but not quite, tell. That made such an impression that I still remember it years later. Had she just flashed everyone, we all would have forgotten by Monday.

Unfortunately, it seems like Apple has completely banned it all, rather than asking for it to be used more judiciously, which is a shame. It means the content will lack the punch that those things can bring.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
doesn't apple tv have HBO?
Tbh, I find 99% of nudity, sex, swearing, and violence in TV and movies to be boring and unnecessary. It would be great if Apple’s platform took off and suddenly storytellers had to try harder.
dv
Mustapha Mond posted:
Tbh, I find 99% of nudity, sex, swearing, and violence in TV and movies to be boring and unnecessary. It would be great if Apple’s platform took off and suddenly storytellers had to try harder.

This.
Mustapha Mond posted:
Have you ever seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

How about Firefly?
obvs posted:
Mustapha Mond posted:

How about Firefly?

I liked both a lot, but I don’t remember their fight scenes and what not being special.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Mustapha Mond posted:
obvs posted:
Mustapha Mond posted:

How about Firefly?

I liked both a lot, but I don’t remember their fight scenes and what not being special.

they're gorram special, ok?

Last edited by ukimalefu on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:32 am.

Mustapha Mond posted:
obvs posted:
Mustapha Mond posted:

How about Firefly?

A substantial aspect of both shows was clever wisecracks contrasted with kicking ass.

Do you not remember the Buffy the Vampire Slayer musical?

Neither of those shows would be possible given those constraints, and it's not like either of these shows was anything like a show like Game of Thrones.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I'm tellin' ya, Disney and Pixar have something to do with this ...
ukimalefu Wasn't me
DukeofNuke posted:
I'm tellin' ya, Disney and Pixar have something to do with this ...

No way Disney is letting Apple have Marvel and Star Wars.
obvs posted:
Mustapha Mond posted:
obvs posted:
Mustapha Mond posted:

How about Firefly?

A substantial aspect of both shows was clever wisecracks contrasted with kicking ass.

Do you not remember the Buffy the Vampire Slayer musical?

Neither of those shows would be possible given those constraints, and it's not like either of these shows was anything like a show like Game of Thrones.

I remember the musical for the songs and the humor. I honestly don’t remember a single fight scene from it. Anyway, I’m not saying violence and cursing and such can’t add to a story, just that it seems to be the exception not the rule.
Without violence, Buffy the Vampire Slayer would not have been possible as a show.

It just wouldn't. It was a fundamental aspect of it.

And that's not to mention sex, and the major gay storylines, which given that the show came on 20 years ago, were more politically relevant than they are even now.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
obvs posted:
Without violence, Buffy the Vampire Slayer would not have been possible as a show.

And that's not to mention sex, and the major gay storylines, which given that the show came on 20 years ago, were more politically relevant than they are even now.

you know what had insane violence? old Warner Brothers cartoons.
ukimalefu posted:
obvs posted:

you know what had insane violence? old Warner Brothers cartoons.

All of the old cartoons.

juice Inadvertently correct
I don’t remember the bottom one. I think that’s an exaggeration
juice posted:
I don’t remember the bottom one. I think that’s an exaggeration

I couldn't find a valid link to the legit one because Google caved to Getty images. :squint:
obvs posted:

Was there gay sex on that show? I remember gay characters and couples and implied sex, but that’s it.

There are plenty of other services for shows like Buffy. I’m not arguing that it’s a bad show or that shows like it should go away.
Well it showed Willow and Tara laying naked in bed and kissing each other.

And it's not just gay sex scenes, but just the fact that there were several gay characters and couples, something that by itself is a political statement today(let alone 20 years ago).

But there were definitely sex scenes, and some of them contained violence.

Violence was something that's kind of inherent to a show called "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". I don't remember any episode that didn't contain at least some kind of violence.

Or how about Spike attempting to rape Buffy?

If that doesn't count as violence--
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Apple's TV service: no swearing/sex/politics/violence/nudity

Page: 1, 2