Doing any recreational reading? v.5.8

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18
Online now: Betonhaus, DEyncourt, Google [Bot], juice, Majestic-12 [Bot], Séamas
ukimalefu dysfunctional
That's what they want us to think. Image
I'd like for EG&G to have a "bring your daughter to work" day, as well as an annual Open House.

Or better yet, how about an "#OA51" protest. Let's see Wackenhutt earn their money.

Flash Mob that uncouth individual.

By rights, you should be wasted.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
well, I was a little stupid today.

in defenceman of the republic - Cicero
the god delusion - Richard Hawkins
the annals and the histories - Tacitus
Fragile things - Neil Gaiman
The winter king, enemy of god, Excalibur - bernard cornwell
lord of the flies - William Golding.

oops.
sturner Ancient Soldier
What in the world are you doing reading Cicero and Tacitus?

Next you'll be regaling us with tales of how the roman legions were organized and why they were instrumental in building and maintaining the Empire of Rome.
Old Yoda agitator
sturner wrote:
Next you'll be regaling us with tales of how the roman legions were organized and why they were instrumental in building and maintaining the Empire of Rome.

I recall, you wrote the manual for that.
sturner wrote:
What in the world are you doing reading Cicero and Tacitus?

I find them interesting. I have a really loose grasp on what's interesting.
sturner Ancient Soldier
OldYoda wrote:
sturner wrote:

I recall, you wrote the manual for that.

ooops,

Silly me.

So i did.

:heh:
user Stupid cockwomble
The Audacity of Hope

The audiobook read by O'Bama himself.
Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil

You won't want to buy any more food, ever, after reading this one.
user Stupid cockwomble
A People's History Of The United States I picked up a copy from the used bookstore after Zinn died. I had to wait a bit for one to come in. I accidentally pulled a copy of A Patriot's History by mistake...oof.

From what I've read so far, I can see why the other "version" was written.
friend of mine told me to buy "the canon" so I'm reading that now.
user wrote:
I accidentally pulled a copy of A Patriot's History by mistake...oof

Yikes! :lol:
sturner Ancient Soldier
mmaverick wrote:
friend of mine told me to buy "the canon" so I'm reading that now.

Do you mean "The Gun" by C. S. Forester>
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I picked up a new Tom Clancy. "Against All Enemies" iirc.
Paperback. suckers about 3 inches thick. The hero has already had a ship sunk out from under him by a submarines torpedo, and survived a bomb (ied or suicide, i don't know yet), and hasent gotten through the first 50 pages, yet.
:D
I'm finishing up Dancing w/ Dragons (Song of Ice and Fire series), and I just picked up Marylin Foley's book on Kierkegaard's epistemology, and Alva Noe's book on art and engaged perception.
I went to a used book store in kamloops and picked up some paperbacks I could read at the bunkhouse:

the outsiders, Julius Caesar, Macbeth and great dialogues of Plato.

then I saw a hardcover copy of starship troopers and had to buy it.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I just finished The Help. I'd already seen the movie and it was nice to picture the actors as i was reading. Now i wants to see the movie again.

I might download 50 Shades Of Grey to read.
Donkey Butter jerk face
reading a book by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan called The Strain.

I like to be surprised by a book so I usually just judge them by their cover. Boy was I surprised to find out I bought a book about Vampires. What is even more surprising is that I actually like it.
finished that bernard cornwell series I mentioned earlier. it was god but not as good as the whyte's Arthur series.
Currently reading several books (kind of the downside of having everything on the iPad), but at the moment I'm focused more on American Colossus: Triumph of Capitalism, 1865-1900

Very interesting stuff so far.
user Stupid cockwomble
I've started Contact. It's pleasant that my copy was printed before the movie came out (tho I still see Jodie Foster and get surprised by descriptions of dark hair). I'm surprised how good it is - I didn't expect Sagan as being a good fiction writer.
I'm working the second volume of James Michener's "The Covenant".

Other than a bit about the Boer War I know very little about South Africa so this is quite interesting. Well written, and epic in scope - begins ~13,000 BC, goes to 1979.

Wikipedia article said:
As one Bantu character observes, "no matter whether the English or the Dutch win, the Blacks always lose."

I've heard almost exactly the same thing, word for word, from Native Canadian and American historians regarding the French and Indian Wars and the War of 1812, though they were speaking of the irrelevance to the outcome of those conflicts for their own people, whether the British, French or Americans won in those wars
I picked up the Hunger Games as a book to read before going to sleep early (1 am) yesterday. Yes, I have heard some synopses, although some of those were based on the movie. No, I have not seen the movie, and I hadn't decided on whether or not I was going to see it (either in the theater or on DVD or when released to cable). Yes, I know that I'm not at all in the chief demographic of younger teenage female.

I was about on the fifth page of the text when I thought to myself: "I really like this character" even though at that point I didn't even know her name yet (the book is in first person and has a lot of interior conversation). While I did get to sleep eventually, I think I was on about page 250 when I put it down, and then I finished it at 11 am yesterday.

While a fun read, it is not flawless. It is rather plainly written in that there isn't much descriptive detail so that the reader must fill in a lot. While there is some explanation of how Katniss, the main character, has developed a somewhat rebellious nature, it is more of how she is more independent than one might expect a 16-year-old might be in such a repressive society (perhaps this gets further work in the later books). Still, enjoyable enough that I will pick up at least the second book...

EXCEPT that when I went to the book store earlier this night I found that there were NO trade paperbacks on the shelves: only hardcovers. When I picked up this book a few months before the movie was released, I think all three books were available in trade paperback if not standard paperback. I suppose that this must be part of the marketing in association with the movie release, but it is stupid and alienating. Perhaps I'll check the book store later after I finish Martin's A Dance with Dragons (or not). At the moment I'm disgruntled enough that I won't bother with the movie.
They're out to get you. I just now it.
juice Inadvertently correct
Right now I am reading Railroaded, an examination of the building of the transcontinentals by one of my favorite historians, Stanford University's Richard White. Thus far, the parallels between the Gilded Age and today are frightening.
Le Carre's "Our Kind Of Traitor".
agedgruel wrote:
Right now I am reading Railroaded, an examination of the building of the transcontinentals by one of my favorite historians, Stanford University's Richard White. Thus far, the parallels between the Gilded Age and today are frightening.

Indeed! Even the arguments are similar.
juice Inadvertently correct
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
agedgruel wrote:

Indeed! Even the arguments are similar.

If you haven't read Richard White yet you should. From what I know of you, I think you would enjoy him.
user Stupid cockwomble
Now I'm reading The Frozen Water Trade. I had already marked the cover to put on the free shelf and I thought, wait, what? and kept the book for myself. It's about a guy who had the idea he could get rich shipping New England pond ice to the tropics.
Years ago, I downloaded a bunch of plain text files of The Shadow pulp stories. They were annoying to read on a laptop display, so I left them alone until I just bought a Kindle and converted them to ebook format.

They're good time wasters, The Shadow is a lot like Batman without gadgets (but with guns), especially the early stories where he didn't have hypnotic/psychic powers.
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold.
Ribtor wrote:
Le Carre's "Our Kind Of Traitor".

Sung to the tune of My Kind Of Lover by Billy Squier.
Well, here's a book that I won't be reading, at least not today.

Yesterday I picked up a copy of the recently released The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter--having been a long-term Pratchett fan I have every confidence that I would enjoy reading it. Let me note that I got it from my local Barnes & Noble. I know that B&N had in the past placed RFIDs inside some of their books (most often in hard covers) so when I got home I looked for it and found it on the inside of the back cover. Unfortunately unlike the other RFIDs I've found in the past, this one was stuck HARD. After some effort I did manage to remove it but not without nearly tearing the binding sheet attached to the back cover--as it was there was an inch long, quarter-inch wide blister on that sheet where I've separated it from the back cover.

Earlier today I took the book back to the store and after determining that all of the copies in the store had the same RFID in them I got a refund.

Now, I like browsing for books in an actual bookstore, preferring this to online browsing because of the occasional off-hand discovery and I like to closely examine my copy before making the purchase, but I also do not consider those RFIDs tags to be part of those books especially since they appear to have been added to these book by B&N and not the publisher (and I would not be entirely happy if the publishers were responsible). This (ab)use of RFIDs simply means that I'll stop purchasing my books at B&N, at least for hardcovers. Unfortunately there have been a number of specialty bookstores which have closed such that the only one catering to science fiction and fantasy I know of is some 40 miles away so going there is more-or-less an afternoon's excursion (probably bookending the trip with lunch and/or dinner).

I guess short of a policy change at B&N I must order this and future hardcovers from Amazon...<sigh>.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Why the hate ?
Tracking paranoia.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
So, to avoid the RFID tracking, he going to buy from Amazon ?

Isn't that about like posting your phone number on facebook, and then wondering how the telemarketers got it ?
The presence of RFIDs is absolutely unimportant.

That I had to damage my (now-returned) book in order to remove this particular RFID was my point.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Doing any recreational reading? v.5.8

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18