Doing any recreational reading? v.5.8

Page: 1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], Metacell
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
TOS posted:
and are subject to arbitrary de-monetization

Yeah, but google pays them a ridiculously low amount, like a couple cents per ad. That's why youtubers now have to find their own sponsors and sell merch to make a living.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
obvs posted:
:brow:

Many videos on YouTube get drastically more views than the average successful movie.

Surely you can understand that allowing independent film producers like Francis Ford Coppola (Dementia 13) opportunities to have their movies seen in public theaters by millions of ticket-buyers is somewhat more culturally significant than getting a gazillion likes for your chimp-at-the-zoo-masturbating-with-a-dead-frog-in-front-of-a-2nd-grade-fieldtrip video.
jkahless Custom Title
Metacell posted:
obvs posted:
:brow:

Many videos on YouTube get drastically more views than the average successful movie.

Surely you can understand that allowing independent film producers like Francis Ford Coppola (Dementia 13) opportunities to have their movies seen in public theaters by millions of ticket-buyers is somewhat more culturally significant than getting a gazillion likes for your chimp-at-the-zoo-masturbating-with-a-dead-frog-in-front-of-a-2nd-grade-fieldtrip video.

Sure, but is it art? ;)
macnuke Afar
Dune

yes, that Dune. I read it back 69/70.... thought to read again now that the sad memory of the 1984 movie has faded and a new remake is slated for this coming December.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
What about the sci-fi miniseries? It was great, probably the best thing to come out of sci-fi/sy-fy (gross).
Time for Tor Book's free e-book of the month: The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal. This is the first book in Kowal's to-be three book "Lady Astronaut" series when Tor Books will publish book 3, The Relentless Moon, on July 14th. The usual limitations and restrictions apply. Downloads must be completed by 11:59 pm EDT on June 26th.

Grumph! I picked up The Calculating Stars in dead-tree form about 3 months ago. No, I haven't gotten to it yet.
I picked it up in digital form about six weeks ago. Read it immediately. It is a pretty good series. The third one is out in July.
Warin posted:
I picked it up in digital form about six weeks ago. Read it immediately. It is a pretty good series. The third one is out in July.

OH WOW. You're absolutely right.

In fact I was looking for something else to read on Friday to take a break from reading Margaret Atwood's "The Testaments" (which is very depressing like her "The Handmaid's Tale" though it is very well written) so I began "The Calculating Stars" at 1 am, Saturday morning.

I finished it at 7 pm that same day. This included taking a nap during that time.

AND I went out on Sunday to pick up Kowal's "The Fated Sky", the follow-up, and began it at about 4 pm. I finished that at about 4 am this morning.

Now I am ready for her "The Restless Moon" which I will get as soon as I can.
I am about 1/3 of the way through Relentless Moon now. It has been great so far. Worth picking up for certain.
Tor Books has released another free e-book: Silver in the Wood by Emily Tesh. This book can be downloaded until 11:59 pm EDT TOMORRROW July 48th. Usual limitations and restrictions apply.

I have not read anything by Tesh that I can recall.

This is being offered in preparation of Tor Books releasing book 2 in a series of 2: "Drowned Country" on August 18th.
I finished "The Restless Moon" and wow. Relentlessly fast paced

Hunting around for more stuff by Kowal, I found Lady Astronaut of Mars which is a prequel to her Lady Astronaut series. It is only a novelette that she published in 2014 and can be bought for only $0.99 from Amazon (only Kindle format) or Apple Books BUT DO NOT BUY THIS (see below).

There is also Articulated Restraint, another novelette which also takes place in her Lady Astronaut Universe (LGU) and was published in 2019 (so you might read this in between "The Fated Sky" and "The Restless Moon"). Available from Amazon (again only Kindle) and Apple Books for $0.99.

Instead of picking up "Lady Astronaut of Mars" you should get Word Puppets which is an anthology of short stories which not only includes "Lady Astronaut of Mars" but a second story from the Kowal's LGU along with 14 other stories. Available from Amazon and Apple Books for $6.99.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Doing any recreational reading? v.5.8

Page: 1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20