Well Damn DUNE

Music and video: analog or digital
macnuke
Title: PureBleed

Well Damn DUNE

Post by macnuke »

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/10/dune-release-date-october-2021-1234588938/

Dune

I was really hoping for a bright spot in 2020. Postponed a whole year.

People that do not succeed in politics usually tell the truth too often.

Robert
Title: Dandy Highwayman

Post by Robert »

Dang. I was looking forward to that.
"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
TOS

Post by TOS »

can't say i blame them, frankly i'd be surprised if any of the theatre chains survived the next year or so

even if they manage to stay open, the box office returns are absolutely pitiful -- i think tenet scared the human waste out of the studios
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
jkahless
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

"Chris Nolan takes us all up his selfimportant uncouth individual" was probably not a good choice for reopening the theatres. I'm done with his his films unless someone smacks him in the face and gets him to mix his soundtracks properly.
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

TOS wrote: can't say i blame them, frankly i'd be surprised if any of the theatre chains survived the next year or so

even if they manage to stay open, the box office returns are absolutely pitiful -- i think tenet scared the human waste out of the studios

The film industry has spent the last 50 years doing everything they can to make it nearly impossible for theaters to turn a profit so now we have a serious down turn that will likely wipe them out.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

It's time to burn down all the malls and rebuild the drive-ins.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Streaming starting tonight! Gah! Geeking out.

https://www.hbomax.com/dune

macnuke

Post by macnuke »

6 eastern tonight.
Glad I got the 6 months HBOmax for half price.

juice
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

I may have to see this tomorrow

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

OK, forgive me but I do not understand: is HBOmax completely independent from HBO? I get the network by my cable subscription, but I must pay for ANOTHER subscription for HBOmax?

TOS

Post by TOS »

juice wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:01 pm

I may have to see this tomorrow

i hear it's one of those flicks that kind of demands imax

got my ticket (with my boy) for sunday

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
macnuke

Post by macnuke »

Streamed it.
Lotta dark, so I played theater and shut all the lights off in the living room and enjoyed.
That’s all I’m sayin at this point.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

DEyncourt wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:37 pm

OK, forgive me but I do not understand: is HBOmax completely independent from HBO? I get the network by my cable subscription, but I must pay for ANOTHER subscription for HBOmax?

OK, I THINK I have the steps.

As opposed to my iPhone (where there is a downloadable HBOmax app), on my MBP I can access HBOmax through Safari (because I have set that up as mostly my Javascript-enabled browser except for YouTube) through play.hbomax.com. Once there I can tell the site that I have access to HBO through my cable provider. Once that is identified, then I log into my mail account from my cable provider.

So I have done that. I TRIED to start Dune but after 20 minutes of waiting, I gave up. Since I haven't watched anything, I don't know if my account is ad-free.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Using my HBOmax link through Safari I have not been able to see ANYTHING. I tried Dune again. I had scrolled down through the HBOmax listings and tried about a dozen different programs, some that I did want to watch, others that I was merely curious. NONE of them started to play.

Robert

Post by Robert »

I watched it twice now.

Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

DEyncourt wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:47 pm

Using my HBOmax link through Safari I have not been able to see ANYTHING.

Maybe the DRM HBOmax uses won't work on Safari?

Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
ukimalefu
Title: Screen toucher

Post by ukimalefu »

DEyncourt wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:47 pm

Using my HBOmax link through Safari I have not been able to see ANYTHING. I tried Dune again. I had scrolled down through the HBOmax listings and tried about a dozen different programs, some that I did want to watch, others that I was merely curious. NONE of them started to play.

Do you have any adblock extensions? or does Safari have any sort of blockers built-in? turn everything off and try again.

Or, if it let you login on your Mac, if that syncs to the iOS app, try that again, and cast that to your tv?

That may be too much work.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

ukimalefu wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:38 am

Do you have any adblock extensions? or does Safari have any sort of blockers built-in? turn everything off and try again.

I only have a short list of extenstions (Ad and Stuff Blocker and Ghostery), but I disabled them all with no effect--I just get the short line of three bubbles over and over again.

TOS

Post by TOS »

well, human waste

in the time between me buying tickets and the actual showtime, our uncouth individual premier decided to live all covid restrictions, so now the theatres are at full capacity (and unmasked)

since my son's not vaxxed yet (too young) we had to go home

the place was crowded, man

maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

We are nearing the Christmas season again, and COVID is the gift that keeps on giving.

DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

HBO Max works fine on my Apple TV, but I haven't watched DUNE yet.

intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Sequel confirmed, and also a prequel series

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/26/227 ... e-sandworm

Metacell

Post by Metacell »

ukimalefu wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:45 am

Sequel confirmed, and also a prequel series

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/26/227 ... e-sandworm

If they hadn't already fast-tracked Part 2, I'd be wasted. I'm surprised it's not already in the can.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

I got to watch "Dune: Part 1" on my MBP using Chrome as my browser.

You probably should be made aware that "Dune: Part 2" is scheduled to be released in Oct. 2023. It is expected to complete the first novel.

It was...OK, mostly because it is incomplete. There was a lot of the original story that was included here that was missing from or re-written (sometimes VERY badly) in previous films, but I felt that there was still a lot missing. While we were told that the Atreides family were going to make the Fremen more integrated, we got only tiny bits and pieces of that story. For example: the makers of this movie did film the important scene of Stigar spitting in front of Duke Atreides BUT I thought that the explanation within this movie was rather inadequate. Frank Herbert's description could be summarized as: on the desert planet of Arrakis you give honor to others by spitting because you have sacrificed YOUR OWN WATER to them.

I feel certain that I filled in a lot of the story from memory, so much so that perhaps it would be more useful if someone who has NOT read the novel criticized this movie because I think I cannot do an honest assessment, BUT let that critic assess the movieS after the movie set is completed.

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

I never read the book (books?)

I DID like this movie, but I did feel I had to make a bit of an effort to just accept some things without enough explanation to understand that universe and follow the story.

-

With Lord of The Rings and Harry Potter I read the books before watching the movies, and I like those movies. They also leave a lot out, and change some things, but I do think reading the books first helps a lot.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

"Dune" is one novel. It has been followed up--some written by Frank Herbert, later ones by his son Brian--a blizzard (pun intended) of books about what followed, what preceded, what else is going on in that future galaxy. I believe a new novel was published in the past few months.

Personally I stopped with book 3, "Children of Dune". Book 2 was "Dune Messiah".

Metacell

Post by Metacell »

DEyncourt wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:45 pm

I got to watch "Dune: Part 1" on my MBP using Chrome as my browser.

You probably should be made aware that "Dune: Part 2" is scheduled to be released in Oct. 2023. It is expected to complete the first novel.

It was...OK, mostly because it is incomplete. There was a lot of the original story that was included here that was missing from or re-written (sometimes VERY badly) in previous films, but I felt that there was still a lot missing. While we were told that the Atreides family were going to make the Fremen more integrated, we got only tiny bits and pieces of that story. For example: the makers of this movie did film the important scene of Stigar spitting in front of Duke Atreides BUT I thought that the explanation within this movie was rather inadequate. Frank Herbert's description could be summarized as: on the desert planet of Arrakis you give honor to others by spitting because you have sacrificed YOUR OWN WATER to them.

I feel certain that I filled in a lot of the story from memory, so much so that perhaps it would be more useful if someone who has NOT read the novel criticized this movie because I think I cannot do an honest assessment, BUT let that critic assess the movieS after the movie set is completed.

Oh, so far, despite the obvious technological improvements to this movie...the Sy-Fy miniseries does the best job of telling the story IMO (plus it includes Dune Messiah and Children of Dune which is AWESOME and EXCITING). And although this movie is filmed so as to be realistic and believable, I still like the proto-Cyberpunk Goth look of the David Lynch version better...plus the fact that it was all done with practical effects and no CGI still makes it seem more epic (in particular, the slow-shield effects and dream sequences are better). Don't get me wrong, I think this new movie is highly enjoyable, but dramatically I don't see that it really offers anything new. They have taken all this extra time to tell the story, but there's no added depth or character building. Has the movie that was once impossible to film finally been overdone?

maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

I regret not stopping at the second book myself, though Children of Dune wasn't terrible. Once you get to the 6th book, though...

juice
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

/me has read them all, most of them multiple times

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

This is still my favorite version of Dune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtG5bXF0DZM

:p

macnuke

Post by macnuke »

Video unavailable

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

macnuke wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:25 pm

Video unavailable

It’s To tame a land by Iron Maiden

The link worked for me on two different devices so I don’t know what is wrong.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Odd. It worked for me but I think I must hsve tried it shortly after uki posted it.

It is "Video unavailable" now too. And i am using the same device and browser: Safari on an iPhone 11

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

That’s weird. I linked to Iron Maiden’s official video (actually just audio) on their YouTube channel.

Here’s a different link to a fan made music video that uses clips from the David Lynch movie

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Aa2OqjP9tY

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

*SPOILERS!*

'Dune' Director Denis Villeneuve Breaks Down the Gom Jabbar Scene

This video makes me want to read the book AND watch the movie again.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

On Oct. 2nd, Stephen Colbert had Rebecca Ferguson ("Lady Jessica" in "Dune") on "The Late Show".

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I think I fell in love with her in the middle of part 1 :) but I'm easy that way.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

About a month earlier Colbert also held this separate interview with director Villaneuve and most of the heroic cast members.