What TV series are you currently watching?

Music and video: analog or digital
Robert
Title: Dandy Highwayman

Post by Robert »

Watched the first episode of Loki. Making a good impression.

"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
TOS

Post by TOS »

likin' loki

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Clarice, 10 pm Thursdays on CBS and is available on CBS All Access.

Let me state that this series started in its first episode BRILLIANTLY. It takes place within a year of the end of "Silence of the Lambs" (1991) and of course concentrates on Clarice Starling (played by Rebecca Breeds). The writers and producers of this series has gone to considerable effort to maintain a dated placement for this series. They have "rewritten" US Senator Ruth Martin (played here by Jayne Atkinson) as having opted to run for and become the Attorney General of an unnamed state (probably Maryland given the geography landmarks mentioned throughout the series). I'm guessing they did this to give AG Martin a better excuse to remain intimately involved with Clarice's career in the FBI which would be more difficult for Senator Martin.

Rebecca Breeds is terrific as Clarice. The British actress (she spoke in her native accent during an appearance on "The Late Show" before the series began) has painstakingly adopted the West Virginia accent that Jodie Foster used in "Silence", changed her hair style and even taken on some of Foster's mannerisms as Starling.

There are quite a number of roles from "Silence" which continue in "Clarice" (excluding naturally Hannibal Lecter) and the producers have taken pains to get actors which resemble the originals. There are of course a number of new roles. Clarice has been assigned to an office away from DC in that unnamed state where--partly through some efforts by AG Martin--Clarice is added to the local Violent Criminal Apprehension Program (VICAP which is an actual unit within the real FBI). Partly because she is a new agent in her new office, partly because she is still well known and celebrated for her capture of Buffalo Bill, Clarise began with some friction especially with her new boss Paul Krendler (Michael Cudlitz).

Let me point out a story bumble made by the writers in one of the early episodes: Clarice is discussing their current case with fellow Special Agent Shaan Tripathi (Kal Penn) when Tripathi replies to one of Clarise's theories with (paraphrase) "Oh, you mean like Terri Schiavo."

BZZZT! While Schiavo did fall into a coma in 1990, it was in 1998 that her husband Michael first asked the court to have her feeding tube removed, AND it was in 2001 when her case became a national cause cëlèbre. Oh well, you can't be perfect. For completeness: Terri Schiavo died in 2005,

"Clarice" is very complex. I'm not sure I can recount all of the storylines:

--Clarice's VICAP unit was already investigating a series of seemingly unrelated murders of women by an apparent serial killer when Clarice joins, but she soon figures out a pattern behind the murders.

--her loftmate and same-year graduate from the FBI Ardelia Mapp (played by Devyn A. Tyler) has been stuck into the cold case office in the same FBI branch. While she IS a bit envious of Clarice's celebrity and comparative success, Ardelia figures that she got stuck in that office because she is black. With Clarice as a witness, Ardelia gets a cold case which she figures out taken away to be handed over to a white male agent who gets to lead a new unit. Ardelia reaches out to fellow black FBI agents and they are preparing to launch a class action suit against the FBI WITH the realization that doing this could be a career-killer even if they win.

--Clarice has been having disturbing dreams which involve aspects of "Silence" including memories of Buffalo Bill and her rescue of Catherine Martin (played by Marnee Carpenter). Eventually Clarice is persuaded by her boss and office mates to attend therapy with a psychiatrist.

--Clarice also has been having some merely troubling dreams of her childhood, recalling some of her last memories of her father Sheriff (no first name yet) Starling (played by Derek Moran). Clarice also talked about these with her psychiatrist.

--Clarice's boss Krendler is undergoing a complex divorce which involves his two teenaged children and their problematic alcoholic mother. Krendler especially wants sole child custody.

--Catherine Martin had been contacting Clarice off and on despite the efforts of her mother. Catherine believes that she shares an intimate bond with Clarice because of their "relationship" through Buffalo Bill which leads to NEW problems.

--that murder pattern Clarice discovers points to a drug company. This leads to complications with the captured supposed serial killer

Spoiler

(who gets murdered DURING questioning inside Clarice's FBI office)

, the upper echelon of the FBI (which does not want this VICAP unit to pursue the drug company connection), Krendler's divorce, AG Martin (did I forget anything?).

This complexity is part of my problem with "Clarice". With so many interweaving storylines the writers have problems being able to spend enough time with any of them. This tends to have made the latter episodes more-and-more plodding and dreary.

For now I will continue, but "Clarice" has become more and more on the bubble and it may burst with each new episode. I haven't yet watched this past one because it is on my VCR.

Robert

Post by Robert »

I will check out Clarice. I watched the sequel movies, but did not follow the "facts" very closely. Did Buffalo Bill survive after he was shot by Agent Starling? Did she capture or kill him?

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Do we need spoilers for a 30-year-old movie? Buffalo Bill was dead, dead, dead at Clarice Starling's hand (via pistol).

Er, I should not have written "capture of Buffalo Bill" in my previous post.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Heh. Perhaps -I- had taken on a law enforcement official "habit". They do tend to use words like "apprehended" or "captured" when it might be clearer and shorter (though perhaps a bit less sensitive) to simply say "killed".

ukimalefu
Title: MAXIMUM ALERT

Post by ukimalefu »

I'm against spoilers no matter how much time has passed. I've watched Forbidden Planet the other day, from 1956! All I knew is that Leslie Nielsen, Anne Francis, and Robbie The Robot where in it, and that it wasn't a comedy.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Here is the first part of Colbert's interview with the utterly charming Rebecca Breeds.

Here is part 2.

Um, I--on the other hand--lack any musical ear. She is Australian.

While listening to her accent in part 1, I only knew enough to say to myself: "Well, it's not 'Oxbridge', but it's from somewhere across 'the pond'." Wrong pond.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Returned to try Peaky Blinders again. The first season didn't really grab me, but was much better into the second and third seasons.

Lombo
Title: Opiophile

Post by Lombo »

Loki. I am also beginning Falcon and the Winter Soldier. The big baddie in ep 1 is none other than the French-Canadian MMA legend George St-Pierre.

So far I like Loki.

Spoiler

The female Loki is sowing so much chaos ! The TVA will have their hands full.

TOS

Post by TOS »

ukimalefu wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:20 am

I'm against spoilers no matter how much time has passed.

i wonder if it occurs to you that that is ludicrous

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

I have been watching Black Lightening. It's not bad but the lead character, Black Lightening, is the most ineffectual super hero ever. His children get way more accomplished while he wallows in his self imposed angst and often refuses to use his full powers based on his incredibly naive and self destructive set of principles where he would rather see his own people get killed than be too mean to the bad guys.

Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

I liked the premise of Black Lightning but I gave up because nothing was happening.

Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
macnuke
Title: PureBleed

Post by macnuke »

Lupin ... Netflix

"Inspired by the adventures of Arsène Lupin, gentleman thief Assane Diop sets out to avenge his father for an injustice inflicted by a wealthy family"

no oscars or emmys.. but a reasonably fun series

People that do not succeed in politics usually tell the truth too often.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Black Summer, a Netflix zombie series. Man, this show is bleak. Season 2, ep3 "Card Game" -- yeeeesh.

Bosch, season 7 on Prime. This is the last season and it kind of just fizzles out.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Alligator Loki > Baby Yoda.

Metacell

Post by Metacell »

Watchmen (HBO). So dope. Love that it's in the (now) future and ties back to the original Watchmen.

jkahless
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

5 minutes into Wellington Paranormal and I am laughing my ass off. This is BETTER than What We Do in The Shadows so far. Playing the absurdly paranormal against understated restrained NZ cops trying to be professional for the cameras is just perfect.

"I am Bazuhaal! There will be buckets of blood, fountain of fire! owr owr rowr rowr"

Robert

Post by Robert »

Just finished The Serpent on Netflix. A true crime piece on a French precious stones grifter in Bangkok who poisoned and murdered travelers for their money and passports.

Metacell

Post by Metacell »

Robert wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:55 am

Just finished The Serpent on Netflix. A true crime piece on a French precious stones grifter in Bangkok who poisoned and murdered travelers for their money and passports.

Oh dang, I read about that guy in this book Rituals. Killers. Wars. & Sex. by Richard Ehrlich. I'm gonna' have to check it out.

DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

DEyncourt wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:41 am

Here is the first part of Colbert's interview with the utterly charming Rebecca Breeds.

Here is part 2.

Um, I--on the other hand--lack any musical ear. She is Australian.

While listening to her accent in part 1, I only knew enough to say to myself: "Well, it's not 'Oxbridge', but it's from somewhere across 'the pond'." Wrong pond.

I have been meaning to mention Clarice.
It is so refreshing to hear a character speak in that accent (She talks like me!) that has an educated vocabulary and is not depicted as a dumb hick.
And, it's a good show. The plot is kinda deep, dealing with Clarice's PTSD, personal problems on her team, and a second-story sub plot thread running through the episodes.
Dark and Gritty ...

intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Robert

Post by Robert »

Started watching Succession. Holy crap, how did I miss this?