What was the last movie you saw?

Music and video: analog or digital
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

Godzilla vs King Kong. Might have to see it on the big screen.

"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

The Good German (2006) George Clooney, Cate Blanchet. I loved it. Movie was criticized for being all style but that was the point. Obviously influenced by the 1948 Billy Wilder film starring Marlene Detrich called "A Foreign Affair" and also, "Casablanca".

Pyke notte thy nostrellys
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

Mario Puzo's The Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Godfa ... n_(2020)_2

Writing for The Guardian, Peter Bradshaw gave the film 3 out of 5 stars and stated, "I'm not sure how much, if anything, Coppola's re-edit does for the film, but it's worth a watch."[17] Owen Gleiberman of Variety stated, "Here's the news and the ever-so-slight scandal: It's the same damn movie. I'm not exaggerating; it really is. The one impactful change is the new opening scene."[34] Writing for IndieWire, David Ehrlich said, "But when it was announced that [Coppola's] restless father had inevitably assembled a new cut of his most famous cause célèbre and re-christened it with the title he'd always wanted for the film... he wasn't trying to make it 'better' so much as he was trying to shift its place in history and reframe the picture as less the third part of a flawed trilogy than the postscript of a legendary dyad."[35]

uhm... yeah... that

TOS

Post by TOS »

wonder woman 1984

actually quite liked it, kind of baffled by all the hatred directed at it

not perfect, especially the special effects (which looked oddly rough and amateurish) ... she does a lot of high-speed running and it looks kind of hilarious

still a fun watch, much more character-driven

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Godzilla vs Kong

If you can accept and understand that it's a Hollywood take on a japanese monster movie, enjoy the action and the pretty CGI, maybe you'll like it.

Another way to see it is: if you had a CGI company, you'd want to make that movie.

I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. It was ok. Just ok.

If you want to watch a modern godzilla movie, and like it, watch Shin Godzilla.

TOS

Post by TOS »

oh come on, it was lots of fun

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Mortal Engines (2018)

Fantasy/dieselpunk/action movie

:up:

I'd like to see more of that world

Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

ukimalefu wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:20 am

Mortal Engines (2018)

Fantasy/dieselpunk/action movie

I'd like to see more of that world

Oh yeah, I watched that recently. I thought it was Phantom Menace bad on the human dialog level, but there's no reason it should have been such a major flop. It was sctript-bad but entertaining and action-packed, and the effects are beautiful.

Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
TOS

Post by TOS »

i didn't realize zack snyder's justice league was 4:3 aspect ratio

looks frigging weird, man

Metacell

Post by Metacell »

Magnum Force (free on Tubi): the second Dirty Harry movie. Kick. Ass.

TOS

Post by TOS »

i love those movies, they're such time capsules

Pithecanthropus
Title: Roast Master

Post by Pithecanthropus »

4/20 marked the 40th anniversary of my father's death, so I watched the movie I know he would have loved as much as I do: The Hunt For Red October. I wish I could have watched it with him just once.

set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

The Illusionist (2006) Edward Norton, Paul Giamatti, Jessica Biel, Rufus Sewell. Turn of the century Viennese romantic mystery about a gifted stage magician, a duchess, a policeman and a prince bent on power. Highly recommended.

j_tso

Post by j_tso »

Pithecanthropus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:56 am

4/20 marked the 40th anniversary of my father's death, so I watched the movie I know he would have loved as much as I do: The Hunt For Red October. I wish I could have watched it with him just once.

My dad would watch that a lot, I watched a bit with him but the action and intrigue were too slow for my 6 year old brain.

I also watched a couple of submarine movies over the last few weeks:

Ice Station Zebra (1968) - Rock Hudson is a submarine captain that is tasked with taking a British spy (Patrick McGoohan) on a secret mission to an arctic weather station before the Soviets can get there.
There's betrayal and suspicion in the plot but it's pretty boring and the pacing is slow. McGoohan should have done more spy flicks but he was probably sick of the Secret Agent/Danger Man role at this point. Like movie cowboys having slicked back hair, in 60s Hollywood fashion they're out in the arctic but only need hats and gloves for a few scenes.

The Enemy Below (1957) - Of course everyone knows this one because the plot was turned into the Star Trek episode "Balance of Terror."
The captains are equally jaded by the war and want it to be over despite their gung ho crew.
I liked it, just wish there was more for the German sub to do besides evade and take hits for the majority of the movie.

Pithecanthropus
Title: Roast Master

Post by Pithecanthropus »

Both great submarine movies! I'm going to have to watch Ice Station Zebra again one of these days.

set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
justine

Post by justine »

Hopefully, i'll find some time to watch Greenland before my workweek starts.

"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
Robert
Title: Dandy Highwayman

Post by Robert »

Watched Argos last night. Not a bad flick. I know I avoided it at its release because I couldn’t really stand Ben Affleck at the time. That hasn’t changed, but still, not a bad flick.

"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
Metacell

Post by Metacell »

Ben Affleck ruins a lot of movies for me, and I'm sorry, because I don't think he's a bad guy, just a bad actor with a bad haircut.

justine

Post by justine »

Metacell wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:32 pm

Ben Affleck ruins a lot of movies for me, and I'm sorry, because I don't think he's a bad guy, just a bad actor with a bad haircut.

Even Dogma??

Metacell

Post by Metacell »

justine wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:39 pm
Metacell wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:32 pm

Even Dogma??

No, Dogma's alright. He's alright in comedies. I just can't him seriously as Mr. Action Man or upright yuppie everyman.

TOS

Post by TOS »

holy human waste, joss wheaden sucks

what he did just to the amazon battle scene alone is a goddam disgrace

Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

I am right in the middle of re-watching the first Avengers movie. The Archer has always been my least favorite. I mean, is being really accurate with a bow and arrow all that special.
But tonight I realized that accuracy is not his super power. What gives The Archer a low grade super power is he possesses a magical quiver that never runs out of arrows and always has just the right arrow ready to go for any circumstance. Without that quiver he would be performing bow and arrow accuracy stunts at county fairs for a living.

Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934) Leslie Howard, Merle Oberon, Raymond Massey. English Aristocrat posing as an effete fop leads a group who rescue French aristocrats from the revolutionary terror of Robespierre. Great performances if you like that over the top theatrical style.

They seek him here, they seek him there,
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.
Is he in Heaven? Is he in Hell?
That damned, elusive Pimpernel.

Robert

Post by Robert »

The New Mutants, available on HBO. Kind of a meh introduction to a next generation of characters; felt more like the countless number of similar tv series du jour — anyone feel like the "teens with powers" plot is played out?

Glad it was on streaming, because I'd have been pretty miffed to have to paid to see in a theater.

Metacell

Post by Metacell »

^^ "X-Men made a lot of money...let's suck every last drop we can out of the concept." (same thing happened with the comics in the 80's)

Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

Knives Out

After seeing two or three rave reviews of this film I watched it. It was boring and slow with weird unlikable characters. It took me two sittings to finish it, I got so bored half way through, I watched some other stuff as a break. The only reason I went back and finished it was the reviews. I thought, maybe it gets better in the second half.

It did not. Not recommended.

Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

The Bad And The Beautiful (1952) Kirk Douglas, Lana Turner. A film director, actress and writer each tell their story of how a selfish and thoughtless movie producer impacted their lives in his climb to the top. Highly recommended.

justine

Post by justine »

I had plans to watch Greenland tonight, but i guess i was too late because it's $20 to watch now. :/

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Johnny English Strikes Again

Olga Kurylenko is in it

Emma Thompson is in it

Their characters are the best things in the movie.

And, uhm, if you want to see Rowan Atkinson being funny, all Mr Bean episodes are on youtube.

Yeah, but it's an entertaining "spy" movie.

I remember the first one being good.The 2nd one was fine. This one is just 'not bad'.

Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Tank Girl (1995) Lori Petty, Naomi Watts, Ice-T, Malcolm McDowell. A bit of a mess, but fun.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Stowaway on Netflix, with Daniel Dae Kim, Anna Kendrick and Toni Collette. Engaging film that was supposed to be the first in a trilogy, but I guess that idea got scrapped.

Anyone remember the short story The Cold Equations, which was adapted as an episode of The Twilight Zone?

justine

Post by justine »

I watched Soul again. Love this flick! I want to watch 22 vs Earth. :)

Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Amadeus II: Xaver's Movement (2015) Gabriel Byrne, Gary Oldman, Tom Hulce, Timothée Chalamet, Aubrey Plaza. Mozart's son, haunted by memories of his father's death, travels back to Vienna to confront Salieri. He uncovers an old plot that not only questions the true origins of his father's work that also threatens to bring down the Austrian Empire. The twist ending obviously written with more sequels in mind. Not bad.

justine

Post by justine »

I finally saw Rocketman and thought it was horrible.

Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

The Irishman (2019) A slog to get through. Little more than Deniro, Pesci, and Pacino fan-service. Scorsese and the cast have the mob-speak cranked to 11. It should be considered a parody of a Scorsese gangster film rather than an original drama. It's every mob movie made since 1972 crammed into three and a half hours. A lot of the run time could have been shortened if they cut the dialogue where people just repeat the lines the other guy just said.

Pesci: Someone's got to tell him it is what it is.
Deniro: Someone's got to tell him it is what it is?
Pesci: yeah, he's got to be told it is what it is.
Deniro: It is what it is.
Pesci: Exactly. You got to tell him it is what it is.
Deniro: I have to tell him?
Pesci: You have to tell him.
Deniro: I have to tell him it is what it is.

Three and a half hours of that punctuated with long thoughtful stares and some gunplay.

j_tso

Post by j_tso »

A couple of Elvis flicks in the last couple of weeks.

Love Me Tender
Elvis's first movie, although he's actually in a supporting role. The studio probably didn't want to put too much pressure on a newcomer.
The plot follows Vance Reno (Richard Egan) a confederate soldier who returns home to his family, who thought he was dead, to find that his brother, Clint (Elvis), has married his sweetheart. Also the Union army is after him for robbing a train after the war was declared over.
Of course it's mainly a vehicle for Elvis and him singing. The hip shaking thing is out of place in this period piece, but then again so is everyone's slicked back hair.

Spinout
Made during the mid-1960s when he was cranking out multiple awful movies a year. Elvis plays a race car driver who somehow funds his racing singing in a band, all the while 3 women are chasing him. None of the songs are memorable but there are some cool cars featured.
Half the cast is from Girl Happy, another mindless but better flick.

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Howl's Moving Castle

All Studio Ghibli movies are good movies.

justine

Post by justine »

Greenland! Awesome flick!