What was the last movie you saw?

Music and video: analog or digital
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

juice wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:25 pm

McLintock is one of my faves as well. Because Maureen O'Hara.

I love her, too, but probably not the same way! :lol:

"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
juice
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

justine wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:42 pm
juice wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:25 pm

McLintock is one of my faves as well. Because Maureen O'Hara.

I love her, too, but probably not the same way! :lol:

She was a talented actress but my appreciation for her was enhanced by Technicolor.

DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

Séamas wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:42 am

It Happened One NIght will be something I am on the lookout for.

It's on TCM now and then.

intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
juice

Post by juice »

TCM is a go-to channel for me.

Séamas
Title: Honorary Consul General

Post by Séamas »

We don't currently get TCM, I reduced our cable down to "below basic".
We use that, Netflix and a subscription/membership to a PBS service.

I see that TCM's website allows watching movies--and they have some really good ones.

Speaking of Netflix, I am considering switching to another service. What are people's favorites?

And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Séamas wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:21 am

What are people's favorites?

Download and file sharing on eMule.

Pyke notte thy nostrellys
justine

Post by justine »

I have almost everything except Hulu. :D

"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
TOS

Post by TOS »

related content: how hollywood is dealing with its problematic content

"Nobody's canceling these movies," says TCM host Ben Mankiewicz. "Our job is not to get up and say, 'Here's a movie that you should feel guilty about for liking.' But to pretend that the racism in it is not painful and acute? No. I do not want to shy away from that. This was inevitable. And welcomed. And overdue."

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Robert
Title: Dandy Highwayman

Post by Robert »

Coming to America 2. Wholly unnecessary, but still pretty funny.

"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

Judas and the Black Messiah (HBO-Max). Decent

Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
TOS

Post by TOS »

the independence day sequel

a remarkable achievement in the field of cinematic dreck

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
justine

Post by justine »

I Care A Lot :eek:

justine

Post by justine »

I watched Yes Day tonight. Family friendly and funny.

ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

Robert B. wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:56 am

Coming to America 2. Wholly unnecessary, but still pretty funny.

Saw it yesterday. I agree. It was cool.

Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

The Men Who Stare At Goats (2009) Ewen MacGregor, George Clooney, Jeff Bridges. Far more in this odd film is true than you'd believe. Except for the adventures in Iraq story, much of the stuff said by the protagonists in the script comes from the interviews of the actual person the character is based on. The author of the book on which the film is based made a three part documentary series. Clooney and Bridges did not exaggerate their portrayals.

One is left simultaneously wondering what the Pentagon could have been thinking letting these men do their thing while praising their openness to new ideas. far out stuff.

I did wrangle goats on a base in Alberta during a military exercise where they were targets for various special forces type people to kill and injure with knives. I never saw anyone try to stop a goat's heart by staring at it, though.

Pithecanthropus
Title: Roast Master

Post by Pithecanthropus »

48 HRS (1982): The film that turned Eddie Murphy into a movie star. Gruff, obscene, violent, and funny. That's a hard line to hold, but the movie does it well. Star Trek TNG nerds will love the appearance of Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar) and her onscreen roommate Margot Rose (who wound up as Capt. Picard/Kalin's wife Eline in the episode "The Inner Light").

Another 49 HRS (1990): Murphy now has top billing. The movie is far more violent, angrier, and not as fun as the first. It's just a by-the-numbers action movie, featuring guns that violate Newton's Third Law, cartoon bad guys, and a twist that's no surprise. It was apparently supposed to be a 2 hour long movie, but the studio cut it down to 90+ minutes without the knowledge of the director or actors. It shows.

Last edited by Pithecanthropus on Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
Robert

Post by Robert »

Watched Zach Snyder's Justice League. It's a marathon to watch, but makes a hell of a lot more sense than the original cut.

ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

Robert B. wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:28 pm

Watched Zach Snyder's Justice League. It's a marathon to watch, but makes a hell of a lot more sense than the original cut.

Makes more sense... that doesn't say much. I've seen a couple reviews and it seems it is an improvement, but I don't know...

I did NOT like the original version. I don't think I want to give it a second try, that lasts 4 hours...

Robert

Post by Robert »

I didn't like any movie of that DC series, and I think Superman sucks. But I hate poorly told stories even more, so this was an improvement.

justine

Post by justine »

I keep waiting to see if someone else watches I Care A Lot. I want to know what everyone else thinks! The whole time, i was saying "are you fricking kidding me!!" LOL

TOS

Post by TOS »

the perfect storm

the boy really enjoyed it, as did i

Robert

Post by Robert »

justine wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:50 pm

I keep waiting to see if someone else watches I Care A Lot. I want to know what everyone else thinks! The whole time, i was saying "are you fricking kidding me!!" LOL

I did see that too. It was pretty funny.

Makes me wish I had a good grift.

justine

Post by justine »

Robert B. wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:07 pm
justine wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:50 pm

I did see that too. It was pretty funny.

Makes me wish I had a good grift.

I wanna watch it again and see what i missed while saying WTF so much. LOL

Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) Ted Neeley, Carl Anderson, Yvonne Elliman. Flawed brilliance. The dubbing isn't the best but it's a nice looking film.

The lyrics are packed with meaning and drive the story but can be a bit of a clumsy fit with the music at times. It's a Broadway thing I guess.

I particularly liked how Judas argues with Jesus leading to Judas threatening to not betray him. Jesus has to yell at Judas to leave and do what he has to do. The fact that Judas has to sacrifice himself just as much as Jesus yet be damned for all time is particularly poignant. A case of a "real-world" plot hole that the movie rectifies.

I have never liked the slimy scheming portrayal of the Pharisees as typical offensive Fagan, Shylock portrayals typical in theatre. Long overdue for a re-write. I also find the effete portrayals of Herod and Pilate jarring. Webber and Rice failed to write better parts for these antagonists and stayed with convention. But like with "Life Of Brian", the work has better core understanding of the subject than so-called legitimate churches.

DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

Even as a youngling, I would ask Sunday school teachers, "Why is Judas such a villain? If he hadn't done that ... "; and of course I had to be given a good talking to.
You should check out the John Legend version. Alice Cooper is a great Herod.
My favorite Jesus, tho, is Ian Gillian
https://youtu.be/gOjyGy1NR4Y
https://youtu.be/4cZsHLOKR3g

juice

Post by juice »

Ribtor wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:53 pm

Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) Ted Neeley, Carl Anderson, Yvonne Elliman. Flawed brilliance. The dubbing isn't the best but it's a nice looking film.

The lyrics are packed with meaning and drive the story but can be a bit of a clumsy fit with the music at times. It's a Broadway thing I guess.

I particularly liked how Judas argues with Jesus leading to Judas threatening to not betray him. Jesus has to yell at Judas to leave and do what he has to do. The fact that Judas has to sacrifice himself just as much as Jesus yet be damned for all time is particularly poignant. A case of a "real-world" plot hole that the movie rectifies.

I have never liked the slimy scheming portrayal of the Pharisees as typical offensive Fagan, Shylock portrayals typical in theatre. Long overdue for a re-write. I also find the effete portrayals of Herod and Pilate jarring. Webber and Rice failed to write better parts for these antagonists and stayed with convention. But like with "Life Of Brian", the work has better core understanding of the subject than so-called legitimate churches.

This last sentence is a fantastic point.

Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

When Judas sings "you've begun to matter more than the things you say..." Tim Rice nailed it. That sets up the entire plot of the film and the conflict between a revolutionary movement, and a cult.

DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

Ribtor wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:19 pm

When Judas sings "you've begun to matter more than the things you say..." Tim Rice nailed it. That sets up the entire plot of the film and the conflict between a revolutionary movement, and a cult.

:up:

Pithecanthropus

I have played in the JCS pit band more than any other musical (actually it's an opera as there are no speaking parts), and would do so again in a heartbeat. Personally I prefer the London cast recording (Ian Gillian of Deep Purple plays Jesus), but the movie one is almost identical.

Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Pithecanthropus wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:56 pm

I have played in the JCS pit band more than any other musical (actually it's an opera as there are no speaking parts), and would do so again in a heartbeat. Personally I prefer the London cast recording (Ian Gillian of Deep Purple plays Jesus), but the movie one is almost identical.

The soundtrack forJudas' death reminds me of "Poor Jud is dead" from "Oklahoma!" Given the similarity of their names it seems like a thing.

Pithecanthropus

Ribtor wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:30 am
Pithecanthropus wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:56 pm

The soundtrack forJudas' death reminds me of "Poor Jud is dead" from "Oklahoma!" Given the similarity of their names it seems like a thing.

His fingernails have never been so clean...

Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Justice League Snyder version (2021) More of same with this bro' cut edition. Twice as much exposition to make sense of something inherently devoid of sense. I like a bit of nonsensical fun but this took me four attempts to get through. Time I would have otherwise been sleeping. It is what it is.

But I have questions;

Did Marvel rip off DC or DC rip off Marvel?

The movie had its "Iron Man" character and its "Spiderman" character and a stoic "Captain America" leader and a "gruff "Thor" god-type character and the hotness of a Scarlett Johansson character. A big difference is they have god-in-a-cape. Does Marvel have god-in-a-cape?

At the end there was even a "Deadpool' looking character called Deathstroke, whose real name is Slade Wilson, not to be confused with Wade Wilson. Is this just studios daring each other?

j_tso

Post by j_tso »

Ribtor wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:59 pm

Did Marvel rip off DC or DC rip off Marvel?

In the comics Marvel ripped off DC. Thanos was a copy of Darkseid. Deadpool was a knock-off/parody of Deathstroke (Slade Wilson).

In the movies it's DC/WB trying to catch up with Marvel by making a series of inter-related movies.

Metacell

Post by Metacell »

Ribtor wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:59 pm

The movie had its "Iron Man" character and its "Spiderman" character and a stoic "Captain America" leader and a "gruff "Thor" god-type character and the hotness of a Scarlett Johansson character. A big difference is they have god-in-a-cape. Does Marvel have god-in-a-cape?

Well Thor is literally a god wearing a cape...and Daredevil is the Catholic Martyrdom character. But the closest thing to a clean-cut Jesus is the character inspired by Jesus Christ Superstar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Warlock

Robert

Post by Robert »

Enigma

Post by Enigma »

I just watched "Once Upon a Time in The West". I do love a good Spaghetti Western.

"There is a theory that Earth and sun and galaxy and all the known universes are only a dust mote on some policeman's uniform in some gigantic superworld. Couldn't we be under some supermicroscope, right now? "

Séamas
Title: Honorary Consul General

Post by Séamas »

North By Northwest I mostly like the scenery. I am well familiar with Old Westbury Gardens, where they shot the scene of the mansion he is taken to. I wish they could one day reopen the Oak Room at the Plaza. It's been closed for years due to ownership disputes. The story is okay. Not terribly taken with it. The more Hitchcock I see the less impressed I am.

The Russians are Coming the Russians are Coming I recall watching this on TV 30+ years ago (crap) and thinking it was hysterical.
Watched it with my wife and kids. They were only mildly amused. My wife felt the pacing was torture. I thought it was less funny now than I did as a kid. I think the director, Norman Jewison suffered from the same thing Spielberg did in 1941--they aren't great at comedy.

High Anxiety This is my second favorite Mel Brooks movie after Young Frankenstein. imho, if Brooks doesn't have Madeline Kahn or Cloris Leachman or Gene Wilder in the movie it isn't gonna be good. My son said this was a much better plot than any of the Hitchcock movies he has seen. Nurse Diesel is a riot.

A Hard Day's Night the accents are a bit rough, but I am glad the director stood his ground against the producers and refused to have them dubbed. They are perfect naturals in this movie, they seem to have very, very little problem on cameral at all, which is pretty impressive for amateurs.

And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
Pithecanthropus

North By Northwest had me quite literally on the edge of my seat the first time I saw it. The final sequence on Mount Rushmore grabbed me hard.

justine

Post by justine »

Hoping to watch Godzilla vs Kong today or tomorrow.

Metacell

Post by Metacell »

Godzilla v Kong (HBO Max). Words cannot describe how awesome this movie is. Easily the best of the new American Godzilla movies and probably the greatest monster movie since the original King Kong, including Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster or Godzilla vs. Biollante or (insert your favorite Godzilla movie here). Especially better when I realized they were doing the

Spoiler

Superman vs. Muhammad Ali routine.

The feel-good movie of the century.