Quake Live, now for Mac

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Bing (sucks), DEyncourt, DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], juice, ukimalefu, Warin
Yay! I beat the training bot!

Aw, I actually suck (But at least I wasn't in last place)
Which one of you jackasses registered "Phydeaux"

nah I kid I know this has been out for awhile loading up now
what're you playing in? It's making safari crash.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
It does not recognize Firefox 3.5 on my iMac.
Safari 4.0.3 - OS X 10.5.8

It DID crash a couple of times for me. I just relaunched Safari and choose open all windows from last session.

Note: I never click 'relaunch' from the message dialog you get from OS X when something crashes. I relaunch from the dock. I'm crazy like that.
sturner Ancient Soldier
Uki, you're too old to be able to effectively play a twitch game.

You need a game that allows you to employ other assets which come with age. Like tactics and strategy.

Or strategery if you must.
I need experience. I think my main problem is not knowing the maps. Come play Marathon Aleph One where I can kick butt. But yeah, Marathon games are a bit more... relaxed.

Another thing is that I get distracted because it looks so nice. I'm not used to online games looking like that.

Still, I'm having fun.

Oh, and one more thing, who are you calling old, punk?
In case anyone cares, here's my profile URL

http://www.quakelive.com/#profile/summary/ukimalefu

I has awards! :D
Did I said it crashed a couple times? Make that A LOT.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
ukimalefu wrote:
Another thing is that I get distracted because it looks so nice.

Really? I look at the screen shots and think that was SOOOoooo UT99 AGO!

Just shows ten year old graphics can be pushed/rendered through the web now. With luck we'll have Wolfenstein in 2020, that is if we make it past 2012.
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

Just shows ten year old graphics can be pushed/rendered through the web now. With luck we'll have Wolfenstein in 2020, that is if we make it past 2012.

I've seen better graphics, in fact I played the original Quake III arena and Unreal 99 online. And I've played Doom 3 and Quake 4 in solo/story mode. I'd say they improved the graphics for this a bit. And there's something you download before starting, so I don't think everything is done on the server.

Plus, I'm used to Marathon Aleph One, my main online multiplayer game. The graphics been improved a lot over the years, but it's not realy full-3D, and it's not THAT nice.
sturner Ancient Soldier
I'll have to post some Red Orchestra and Darkest Hour shots.

Care for a view through the sights of a Panther?
ukimalefu wrote:
Plus, I'm used to Marathon Aleph One, my main online multiplayer game. The graphics been improved a lot over the years, but it's not realy full-3D, and it's not THAT nice.

Noob Tube. hehe
Of the last couple Marathon pix you seem to be holding it. ;) :P
loading this up on the PC side.
Phydeaux wrote:
loading this up on the PC side.

You could have done that a long time ago. :squint:
Getting better:

:D

I keep choosing this TX, Dallas server.
sturner Ancient Soldier
BIG MISTAKE Uki!

Now I know where to find you!

Muwhahahahahaha!
SO WHERE'S THE FOLLOW UP GAME

{YOU HAVE TAKEN THE LEAD}

fiddlesticks yeah!

{HUMILIATION!}

wtf
Phydeaux wrote:
SO WHERE'S THE FOLLOW UP GAME

{YOU HAVE TAKEN THE LEAD}

fiddlesticks yeah!

{HUMILIATION!}

wtf

Ok, you beat me more than I beat you. Take your own screenshots. :p
Dan Airman Dan
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

See, every shooter since UT99, including 2K3 and 4, I've not been able to play, because there has been such a huge focus on graphical fluffery. Instead of well-designed maps, authors now feel like they must show their ability to make a standard 90° corner composed of 27 flamboyantly organized corners of 3.33° each.

I really, really, really miss UT99. It felt like a game. This latest crop of crap tries to feel like a holodeck you can't go in.
sturner Ancient Soldier
And bunny hops and health paks, and run and gun tactics.

No finesse. No strategy, no tactics. Just reflexes.
Dan wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

See, every shooter since UT99, including 2K3 and 4, I've not been able to play, because there has been such a huge focus on graphical fluffery. Instead of well-designed maps, authors now feel like they must show their ability to make a standard 90° corner composed of 27 flamboyantly organized corners of 3.33° each.

I really, really, really miss UT99. It felt like a game. This latest crop of crap tries to feel like a holodeck you can't go in.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dan you're too funny! On one hand you complain that bullets and shooting don't have the right physics and isn't real enough. Yet when environments try to be more real and immersive you still complain. So you're perfect game will be real bullet dynamics in a box comprised of a bunch of smaller boxes.

IMO CTF-Face went from great in UT99 to jaw dropping beautiful in UT3. Same map, same layout, same game play.
Dan Airman Dan
The second one just doesn't look fun. I want to blow human waste up, not look at it. It's not the same map, either. I knew every nook and cranny on every UT99 map. I can see some missing from the UT3 edition of Face already.

I dunno, a lot of it is just nostalgia. We had a great community going with Clan MacAddict, and I've never found anything comparable since.
Dan Airman Dan
Also where the hell is the Mac edition of UT3? I don't want to play it on my PS3.
I don't think it's comming. Ryan hasn't mentioned it since he posted screenshots of it running. That was what year & half ago maybe two. Funny thing is MacSoft still has it on the front page of thier website. Still hope maybe?

Dan:
It's not the same map, either.

I know, you can't get spawn sniped on the new one. ;)

Too bad you didn't follow Cee, DocB and I with UT2K4. We had a lot of fun. We tired with UT3 too but then my new PC kept blowing up to the point of extreme frustration that I gave up on it. Now that I've dumped the RAID config on it stability seems better but still not as stable as the 360.

Last edited by lleviathann on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:36 pm.

Dan Airman Dan
Cee can blow me. I lost all respect for that guy with his Prop 8 blatherskite in MiniThink.

I'll email MacSoft to inquire about Mac UT3.
Dan wrote:
Cee can blow me. I lost all respect for that guy with his Prop 8 blatherskite in MiniThink.

Had no idea, don't go there much. If I have to I look at the ground and don't make eye contact. :P

UT3 left Cee behind really, he wasn't willing to go bootcamp or build a Win machine. So it was just Doc and I even then we didn't meet up much.
And that's the shame about General/Political forums in a tech forum. Because otherwise we all share the same objective and think of each other as allies regardless, and then reality kicks in. Oh well.

Levi, the MA3 server... is it still in use, or did they finally retire it?
Dan Airman Dan
MacSoft PR pointed me in this direction regarding UT3/Mac: http://www.beyondunreal.com/view_story.php?id=12580
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
Phydeaux wrote:
And that's the shame about General/Political forums in a tech forum.

Try general/political forums in a car forum. :eek:
Random User Sackboy's Master
Try car talk in a tech forum.

(... a Mac is like a Lexus compared to the Ford PC ... )
Phydeaux wrote:

It's sitting on my desk I can turn it on at any time. I turned it off because I wasn't going to juice a PC that wasn't being used. My electric bill is high enough as it is.
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:

It's sitting on my desk I can turn it on at any time. I turned it off because I wasn't going to juice a PC that wasn't being used. My electric bill is high enough as it is.

Oh, heavens. I thought it was in someone's corporate office quietly sucking away bandwidth still somewhere.
Dan Airman Dan
Geesie wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:
And that's the shame about General/Political forums in a tech forum.

Try general/political forums in a car forum. :eek:

I got banned from 3Si so many times for standing up to rampant homophobia that I actually seriously left on my own and never went back.
Random User Sackboy's Master
Ok, I know that I'm retarded but still, how the heck are you guys playing this on your Macs?

I get the message that my browser and OS are incompatible. I'm running Firefox 3.5 under Leopard.

What am I doing wrong?
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
arkayn wrote:
It does not recognize Firefox 3.5 on my iMac.

Random User wrote:
Ok, I know that I'm retarded but still, how the heck are you guys playing this on your Macs?

I get the message that my browser and OS are incompatible. I'm running Firefox 3.5 under Leopard.

What am I doing wrong?

I tried the same thing way back when.

Looks like they still have not fixed it yet.

I think you have to use Safari.
Safari crashes, too. (3.2.1 here) I don't know how Uki's doing it, so I was doing it on PC.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Quake Live, now for Mac

Page: 1, 2