Want to see something absolutely abhorrent?

Online now: Google [Bot]
Post Reply
I gotta say, I really do appreciate my alcoves of small communities like this one so I can get away from idiots.

Check. This. human waste. Out.

This guy goes along, contributes to the discussion of premium content for 360 avatars (buying clothes, accessories and stuff. Yeah.):

Bii Nii Wii Nii:
I don't care what people say I absolutely love what MS is doing with their avatars. We all know there will be a significant increase in avatar-enabled games which will make the avatars a lot cooler. If you don't like it, you don't have to mess with, but its nice knowing the option is there if you do want to do a bit more customization. I've been saying it for a long time, but as soon as the NCAA, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB gear is released people will be all over it.


And then, the bane of Gawker's existence, the Facebook user that registered an account (these people don't have to go through an account approval process. They just start posting with their facebook credentials. Using their real names.):

Mark Patterson:
here i go again. having to explain the painfully obvious. again. ok. well its like this. ur paying for something thats completely pointless. think about it. ur dressing up ur avatar..something that has always been free.always.so why are u starting to pay for it now? coz u a have "cooler" options? come on. it starts with this..nd if the trends succeeds..it will become more and more a part of ur dashboard.u pay for clothing today for ur avatar, tomorrow itl be what? a cooler color on ur dashboard? the fact is.. that Microsoft already have an idea that we will buy ANYTHING. any human waste that they do. and now..wer gonna prove it too them. by buying this human waste that we dont really need.why do we even need avatars. i didnt know. untill now. so they can sell us things for them.we dont need the avatars, they do.
the bottom line is u shudnt HAVE to pay to dress ur avatar anyway.. and yes i know u dont HAVE to buy it, but people WILL. so instead of Microsoft using their time to actually do something were WE benefit e.g. new innovations, better service, better GAMES, their doing this.why wud they waste their time doing something productive for us, and work for us, when wer working for them?
u have to see the bigger picture. see beyond "oh looky i have a new hat"
come on people. for fiddlesticks sake


Jesus Christ. My brain stick fiddling hurts. I read it, though! Maybe I am the moron:

Phydeaux:
"ur ur u coz u a have nd ur u ur itl ur wer too u shudnt ur u their wud wer u. for fiddlesticks sake"
Yes. For fiddlesticks's sake. You're quite obviously the tantamount dissident against microtransactions. And quite frankly, based on your presentation with a mix of condemnation and general asshattery, I gotta say that any stance you take in the future, I'm going to be comfortable /way over there on the other extreme end/ of it.
Jesus Christ, man. Think things out a little bit before you put them down and submit. Yes, premium themes for your dashboard have been around for awhile. No, we're not working for them because they're still generating content that people are paying for. When user-created content doesn't get properly reimbursed, then resume your complaining.
Until then, comfort me with this, since you used your full name... Facebook registrant? Yeah, I thought so.


The retort!

Mark Patterson:
ok let me get this straight, UR main argument there is me using UR instead of your? because what i wrote made perfect sense to me and everyone else except U as UR the only one complaining bout it. its very petty man and totally off topic. the fact i use an abbreviation has nothing to do with the fact of the matter here nor does it make my point any less valid or "thought out"
i dunno what crawled up UR ass this morning, or what exactly it is i said that wasted U off so much, but im glad i got to u. because in all honesty, only a dick would make this personal by insulting the posters intelligence, instead of keeping it to the topic. i wasn't targeting any individual here, but U went there. and that's fine, becuase now UR exposed to everyone here as a petty angry little man u more than likely are.
and i signed in using face book yeah..how is that relevant? i also had cornflakes for breakfast this morning..does that make my post stupid too? honestly i cant wait to hear UR "witty" reply to this.because it fills me with joy to calla out dicks like U. im sure ULL check over it 5 r 6 times before u submit for fear of a spelling or grammar error that may make u look slightly less intelligent than u like to think u really are ,COZ u strike me as one of those. but im happy to say that U my friend, look extremely stupid right now. despite UR amazing grammar and immaculate spelling.imagine that.
i await UR reply wit baited breath.


Some support my strike:

Ryan from Electric Gorillas:
......but his point stands that if you can not even type properly, then your argument is meaningless...you would not believe how hard it is to take you seriously, and by typing in your own little dialect it is more reason for me not to even read your paragraph because well, it is a challenge.


I continue:

Phydeaux:
Yes. It means if an unintelligent, illiterate person can't form a coherent argument against it, then that means an educated person who cares about the presence and appearance of their written word online can't be faulted for being for it.
It's not even an abbreviation.
Insulting people's intelligence? Oh, you're allowed to do it with this demeaning little line:

"here i go again. having to explain the painfully obvious. again."

But I can't eloquently kick your ass? Nice little double-standard you've got going there.
You would only be stupid if you ate the cornflakes after I wasted in them. Oh. You did? Hm.
I'm not a petty little angry man, but I do know stupidity when I see it, and I'm doing you a favor by pointing out. Want to be an /effective/ condescending prick? Then leave no other room for fault.
No, I certainly don't look stupid. If you continue this, you certainly would be, however.
Also, it's "bated" breath. Unless you've just eaten fish. Then I don't know what the hell you're doing.


And I'm done for the night. Went to bed. I wake up the next morning and get greeted with this:

Mark Patterson:
I want to thank you first of all for making me laugh today. seriously. i owe you. anyway i have to say this.you guys are hilarious. u see yourself as some type of intellect, yet u cant get UR heads around abbreviations like UR instead of YOUR and COZ instead of because. you undermine your own intelligence by demonstrating how thick you are when saying its a challenge to read my post. i mean, really. if you cant read it maybe your not as smart as you obviously love to think U (that's you in short) love to think you are. you cant make a genuine argument on topic because you have none, another demonstration your not that smart obviously, who posts here just to pick on people? ill tell you who. DICKS.
and ill keep saying it. no matter how many replies i get slagging my spelling, because like i said before, nothing gives me ore satisfaction that putting a dick in hes place.keep em coming.


Ten minutes later, he's still fuming, makes another post:

Mark Patterson:
you are hilarious. your whole retort to me saying all you can to is slag my grammar..was to slag my grammar more. very original and a good demonstration of your wit.your not intelligent dude. you cant argue for human waste. all you can do is slag the words you see on the screen. im no less educated than you because i choose to shorten my words. if anything it makes me more intelligent.
and if you cant tell the difference between a general statement (that's my opening line now just in case you dont get that) and making a thing personal by insulting an individuals intelligence (that's all your comment now, you stilll with me here? ill slow down if you need me too) which is what im doing to you now , then im afraid you are stupid .
and yes you do look stupid.i covered why in my opening line here. just in case you missed that.
eloquently kick my ass? dude, your kicking your own ass. you may as well just take a human waste in that big hole your digging for yourself.
ill keep saying this as long as i have to. for every post you reply to.
your a dick. and that's the only problem here.


He notices he makes some mistakes and goes back 14 minutes later:

Mark Patterson:
"nothing gives me ore satisfaction than putting a dick in hes place"
yeah ore and"hes" instead of his.
2 spelling errors i see, just wanted to take that boner educing material away from you before u replied.
now go. im interested if you can make a better argument than that other sad case.
just to recap..my argument is he is a dick for making it personal, and his argument is..he wasted in my cornflakes and im less educated than him.great aint it??


... 17 minutes later, some remorse kicks in:

Mark Patterson:
look man. i tell you what. im going to be the bigger man here and say im sorry. yeah my post was a bit condescending, my original one. yeah, i guess i did insult the persons intelligence, but that was not my deliberate intention. i didn't set out to make a mockery of that person , i didn't say he was less educated than me and i certainly didn't try to make him feel like an idiot. yet, you've done all those things to me. just out of the blue. so naturally im going to fight back at you. but really i hate arguing on this. i hate signing into kotaku (VIA FACEB00K :p )and thinking "ohh now, now i have to go and see what this guy said to that e.t.c." its a big stick fiddling waste of time. and its something that never ends. now, im a positive person and id like to think that well, what can i salvage from this waste of stick fiddling time? ill say, its in future ill think a bit before i post, but you, you have to get down of your horse a bit, you cant just insult people,s intelligence so quick like you do. not intentionally anywaY. thats not a skill id like to have, but you have in abundance.
anyway ive said my bit. as for my last post before this,lol, well, if it strikes a nerve..what can i say. im over it now. can we leave it?


And then he writes ANOTHER post to that Ryan fellow 2 minutes later:

Mark Patterson:
ook apologies for my last post to you before this. i was mad. dont like wasting my time argeuing on this. ive said my bit to the other fella, and i wanna leave it at that. i dont even know you. or him actually. so why would i make this personal? later.


Oh. My. God.

I just don't know. I feel like trolling him more.
sturner Ancient Soldier
User avatar
When he doesn't even know what an abbreviation is you are wasting your time. Tell him that leet-speak isn't abbreviation of words, it's an abbreviated form of spelling. And it's designed for use on non-standard keyboards, like a phone keypad.

But that would be casting pearls before swine. At which point, if you used that homily, he'd likely want to know what the H1N1 virus had to do with it.

I simply wish that people would use the Queen's English as taught. But then, perhaps they are.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Phy hasn't learned the most basic lesson on the intertubes.

It's pointless to argue. Esp. with the stupid.

Save the time & energy for more constructive things like Achievement whoring. ;)
And remember Mark Twain.
"If it weren't for the fools, I'd never succeed." & "If God suddenly made all the fools disappear I'd be incredibly lonely." ;)

Thanks for the games yesterday. I wanna like TF2 but every time I play it feels like I'm doing it wrong. :D
Managed to get one cap in so I'm not totally useless. ;)
I never understood the hate for facebook posters on the Gawker sites. The Gawker registration system isn't anything special. It's not like they do a background check to make sure the registrant isn't mentally deficient. There's plenty of morons on both sides, but at least the facebook people are spared the time waste of registering for yet another site.
T.Goat wrote:
I never understood the hate for facebook posters on the Gawker sites. The Gawker registration system isn't anything special. It's not like they do a background check to make sure the registrant isn't mentally deficient. There's plenty of morons on both sides, but at least the facebook people are spared the time waste of registering for yet another site.


It's one of those things to where when they had the facebook badge at the border of these people's avatars, it was always in coincidence with a really idiotic or flamebaiting post.

Though the approval system on a Gawker site isn't robust, there still is a bit of a process to get approved into making regular comments. One that is controlled by the userbase. An unapproved comment doesn't show up to unstarred users and shows up pink to us (even though I'm unstarred now myself), and we've got the option of allowing other people to see it or not. Once they hit three or four approved comments by the userbase, they're approved for posting regularly in the comments section.
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Thanks for the games yesterday. I wanna like TF2 but every time I play it feels like I'm doing it wrong. :D


It takes some time to get the layout of the maps down. Which is why it's sort of a mixed blessing that they've only given us 6 maps so far.

Quote:
Managed to get one cap in so I'm not totally useless. ;)

Oh, I recall you doing more than that. You did fine so far as I'm concerned. Sorry if you heard me yell occasionally to my crew to pipe the fiddlesticks down about the n00bs on our team. :D ;)

I can't recall if you saw our embarassment on Dustbowl or not. There was one guy on the opposing team that had something in the area of 300pts within 3 or 4 rounds.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Naw, it's more than 'New Map Awkwardness'. Just about every FPS out there has a single or training play option. TF2 doesn't, kinda just throw ya in with sink or swim mentality. For instance I kept hitting X to reload. Don't know why but I was. As funny as it is to see your guy do his taunt in the middle of a fire fight it can be counter productive. Best part was living through it and continue to fight! :D But yeah I found myself fumbling for buttons.

Really the biggest questions are balance of classes. Hearing the guys say we've got too many Flamers or Heavys or not enough Medics got me wondering if I picked the right class at the respawn. That caused me not to experiment with other classes figuring scouts and soldiers were safe bets.

Only once I caught ya saying 'take it easy on the new guys'. I didn't catch what was said to prompt that. Those were my first three complete matches. And my first control point games.
sturner Ancient Soldier
User avatar
n00b!!!

In Red Orchestra it's always amusing to listen to the voice chatter when it's a tank map and some experienced player gets into a tank with a total n00b. Commands of "Stop. STOP. STOP."

"G***d**** it you idiot. You got us killed!" Are so prevelant.

co-operative crewing of tanks isn't hard, you just need, at least, a semi-competent crew.
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Naw, it's more than 'New Map Awkwardness'. Just about every FPS out there has a single or training play option. TF2 doesn't, kinda just throw ya in with sink or swim mentality. For instance I kept hitting X to reload. Don't know why but I was. As funny as it is to see your guy do his taunt in the middle of a fire fight it can be counter productive. Best part was living through it and continue to fight! :D But yeah I found myself fumbling for buttons.


Yeah, I had to remap taunt to "Y" and move the "check score screen" to "X" so that I wouldn't taunt on accident.

Quote:
Really the biggest questions are balance of classes. Hearing the guys say we've got too many Flamers or Heavys or not enough Medics got me wondering if I picked the right class at the respawn. That caused me not to experiment with other classes figuring scouts and soldiers were safe bets.


Scouts and soldiers are safe bets, but I also had classes limited to one medic, one demoman, two scouts, two soldiers per team max for balance issues.

Nah, that's when it's time to experiment. See what everyone else is on the score screen, pick something that's not represented on the map yet. It's what I usually do if I don't have a full turret/dispenser/teleporter rig up as an engineer.

If you want, I can spend an hour this week stepping you through classes and things you can do with them and the little tricks to the different maps. We'll have to do it during a time when I'm not surrounded by people, though. CHAOS!

Quote:
Only once I caught ya saying 'take it easy on the new guys'. I didn't catch what was said to prompt that. Those were my first three complete matches. And my first control point games.


So congrats! You were in the middle of the pack for a chunk of it, so you did fine as far as I'm concerned.

But yeah, it's unfortunate that my "take it easy" chide isn't so much aimed at the other team that I can't communicate with so much as it my own team that's so used to playing with each other that they all have particular classes they're comfortable with and know how/who/what everyone's job is.
gozer frenchie
User avatar
i agree with his original point.
gozer wrote:
i agree with his original point.

Don't like the premium items for avatars, eh?

When they actually add something personality wise, or you can gift them to people, I don't see the harm. That stupid R/C Warthog, though... I just don't know.

Themed to the game stuff is great. Like the COG armor. The Halo offerings of t-shirts and the like are just silly, though.

Hell, Gozey, I just want to be able to dress up as an Engineer and sing in Rock Band. I'm really thinking that this sort of avatar customization that goes well beyond free stuff and entices people to create it can only be a good thing.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
User avatar
you have to get down of your horse a bit
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Phydeaux wrote:
The Halo offerings of t-shirts and the like are just silly, though.

Well maybe for you. I own and wear in public (ZOMG!) my Halo shirt.
Image
In the demos and screen caps I've seen Avatars with the same shirt on. I'd consider throwing a few points to get one.

Unlike some my Avatar does look like me within the limits of the program. I'd pony up some points for a wardrobe that I'd actually wear for accuracy sake. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Now will I actually do it? More than likely not. I'm happy with the way mini-me looks. He's not wearing anything I have but it's close enough. COG or MJOLNIR armor!?! Three words: Flies on human waste.
Alexander Supertramp wrote:
you have to get down of your horse a bit

it's "off" you stupid whore



;)
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:
The Halo offerings of t-shirts and the like are just silly, though.

Well maybe for you. I own and wear in public (ZOMG!) my Halo shirt.
Image


That's different because you can touch it and feel it. And it, uh, does a job.

Quote:
COG or MJOLNIR armor!?! Three words: Flies on human waste.


I'd buy the COG armor if it made my avatar look buffer.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Phydeaux wrote:
That's different because you can touch it and feel it. And it, uh, does a job.

Wouldn't a virtual one do the same job in it's virtual world? NTM doing the job of making mini-me look more like me.
Me shirtless is scary. Virtual me shirtless would be equally scary if body hair was an option. ;) :P

Also someone put in time and effort to bring these options to us. They should get paid for their efforts.

In addition to that why argue with something that is completely optional? You don't agree, fine, you don't participate. Done. But boohooing it to those who might be interested seems irrational. Lot of people out there with more money than sense. Not much ya can do about it. Live and let live and try to position yourself in getting some of that money. ;)

Same arguments can be made over all the different versions of games. We sure as hell don't need a gold plated special edition but there are folks who pony up the extra cash to get them.

Time will tell. If M$ gauged the market right they make some money. If not you get to say 'I told you so.'.
Oh, no, I'm not arguing against it like some people on Kotaku that think people who do buy the stuff should die, I just think it's silly, but won't stop me from being silly myself.

I'm just saying, armor and the like, makes more sense than the pedestrian t-shirt.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Unless your goal is to make your Avatar match as closely as possible to the real you.

Real silliness will be when I take a picture of me and my Avatar wearing the same shirt and posting it to facebook. :P

Yeah that's like creepy silly. Gotta love it. :shifty:
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
User avatar
Phydeaux wrote:
Alexander Supertramp wrote:
you have to get down of your horse a bit

it's "off" you stupid whore



;)


you cant just insult people,s intelligence so quick like you do. not intentionally anywaY. thats not a skill id like to have, but you have in abundance.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Ugh. 320 points for an outfit. 80 for a shirt. I was thinking more like 100 & 10. Nice idea M$ but me thinks the pricing is way off.
I don't have an xbox, but I think user generated content should be allowed. Say you have a plain white t-shirt for your avatar, then you should be allowed to change the color or put images on it. It still a computer isn't it?
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Ugh. 320 points for an outfit. 80 for a shirt. I was thinking more like 100 & 10. Nice idea M$ but me thinks the pricing is way off.

Yup, that seems to be the consensus.

$5 for a lightsaber? Ehhhh...
ukimalefu wrote:
I don't have an xbox, but I think user generated content should be allowed. Say you have a plain white t-shirt for your avatar, then you should be allowed to change the color or put images on it. It still a computer isn't it?

Indeed. And if you violate the ToS with your content, people are just going to report you anyway, same as if you put offensive written content in your profile, so why not?

Silly MS.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Phydeaux wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Ugh. 320 points for an outfit. 80 for a shirt. I was thinking more like 100 & 10. Nice idea M$ but me thinks the pricing is way off.

Yup, that seems to be the consensus.

$5 for a lightsaber? Ehhhh...

Forgot about the saber. Yeah, around 800 points to make your Avatar look like a Jedi. human waste, the new DLC for GoW2 is only 1200. Blah!
NTM game themes just look goofy. COG armor + helmet = GoW Bobble head No Thanks!
Plus, the whole "helmet" concept, save for the Halo ODST one, flies in the face of what MS wanted Avatars for anyway. Sucks the personality out.

COG trooper, also, is naked without a Lancer or Hammerburst. Flat out, no argument.

Got another great one today, folks!

Scuzgob:
03:49 AM

So fireperson's helmet automatically equals 9/11 now?


BryanH:
Fahrenheit 911 is a classic book, very famous and well known. Nothing to do with 9/11.


BWAHAHAHAHAHA
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Also if you can't compete with Gamestop's used prices for On Demand. GTFO!
Pretty much. At the very least do it like Steam with guaranteed weekend specials and sales and combo deals.

There's no sense paying $20 for something you can't recover value from. Well, I take that back, as a guy that just spent $15 on Battlefield 1943. There's no sense when the option is available.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
User avatar
I need to get a 360 eventually, just so I can actually create my avatar.

I do have the account though, have even earned points playing Fallout 3 on my gaming PC.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Phydeaux wrote:
There's no sense when the option is available.

I think that's what M$ is gearing for. On Demand only. It'll take awhile, esp. since current drive sizes are too small but it'll get there. Killing the used game market. The way they'll suck you in is, get it now via DL or wait a week or two for the disc to hit store shelves. Pricing will be the same too. With our 'gotta have now' mentality it'll go over big. Saddens me some but I think it's the future.

The saddening part is that games will still cost $60 but M$ will have effectively cut out manufacturing and packaging. No small cost in game development.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic
Post Reply

Want to see something absolutely abhorrent?