Gaming Clichés

Online now: DEyncourt, DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], juice, ukimalefu, Warin
Post Reply
Dan Airman Dan
User avatar
We've got one of these for movies; I thought we should have one for games too. I'll start:

The stealth level. Seems like every game these days is obligated to have one, where you have to sneak around and not set off an alarm or be seen or whatever. Occasionally, they're worked into the plot in a way that makes sense, but usually not. The worst is when they're buggy; I recall a Jedi Knight II level that would become unwinnable if you tripped the alarm, evaded detection, and saved before making another attempt.

The zombie/horror level in a game not in that genre. Ravenholm in HL2 comes to mind. I enjoy getting a good spook every now and again, but that area went on for entirely too long, and exhibited the next cliche as well, which is

Absurdly low amounts of ammo. If I was going to be fighting a super-powerful alien invasion, I'd bring more than 20 bullets with me. Likewise,

Absurdly high amounts of stuff you can carry. Rocket launchers and rockets are big things. I don't think I could carry a launcher, a dozen rockets, an assault rifle, two pistols, a crowbar, a wad of grenades, six health packs, night vision goggles, ice spikes, body armor, a computer, nine keys, a sword, and a half dozen maps on my person, but most games encourage you to hoard everything like that for the above-mentioned and inevitable ammo famine.

Doors 10 feet away from the goal that are locked and inexplicably indestructible, upon which the entire hour-long level is based finding another way. Similarly, edges that are just a wee bit too tall to jump on that the character ruins my suspension of disbelief by being unable to climb with his hands.

Hydraulically-powered ancient ruins. I'm playing Tomb Raider Underworld right now and it's really fascinating to watch some of the ancient rube goldberg contraptions invented by ancient civilizations that lift and move and rotate hugs slabs of rock merely by dropping a golden skull onto a staff. Either the Mayans had entire universities dedicated to the exhaustive study and research of the impeccable conservation of energy to make these machines work, or archaeologists around the globe have repeatedly failed to discover that ancient civilizations had mastered nuclear power long before the Manhattan project.

Finally, wildly inaccurate bullet dynamics. Bullets travel at a measurable speed to their target, and they fall at -9.81m/s^2 while doing so, yet nearly every game in existence treats bullets like lasers that instantaneously reach the exact location on the crosshairs regardless of the distance.
sturner Ancient Soldier
User avatar
Don't forget the mini-gun with inexhaustable ammo supply (Unreal Tournament).
Dan Airman Dan
User avatar
Which UT are you referring to? UT99 (the only one worth playing)'s minigun had limited ammo.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
User avatar
There were UT's after 99?
My favourite is not necessarily in game, but on game forums. No matter how awesome a game is on the ps3, there will be a hundred 360 fanboys more than willing to tell us all why the game is crap. This goes for ps3 and nintendo fanboys as well.
dv
User avatar
Health bars.

Ghost Recon got it right. You get shot in the limb, your limb stops working. You get shot anywhere else, you're dead. No recharging, no body armor pickups, etc. The same principle could just as easily be applied to armored vehicles or cyborgs - take more than 2 hits here, 3 hits there, or 1 hit there, and it explodes. 2 hits on this part and you can only turn left or go backwards, etc., etc.
user Stupid cockwomble
User avatar
I play FPS games as a diversion. I don't want it to be perfectly realistic, maybe only a certain amount to make it more challenging.

Horror/dream sequences that take over your game irritate me.
sturner Ancient Soldier
User avatar
dv wrote:
Health bars.

Ghost Recon got it right. You get shot in the limb, your limb stops working. You get shot anywhere else, you're dead. No recharging, no body armor pickups, etc. The same principle could just as easily be applied to armored vehicles or cyborgs - take more than 2 hits here, 3 hits there, or 1 hit there, and it explodes. 2 hits on this part and you can only turn left or go backwards, etc., etc.

Like America's Army, Red Orchestra.
We are not including COD and MOH.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Dan wrote:
Absurdly high amounts of stuff you can carry.

Bag of Holding FTW!!!
Dan wrote:
Hydraulically-powered ancient ruins.

C'mon everyone knows they were built by aliens.
Dan wrote:
Finally, wildly inaccurate bullet dynamics.

Seriously? You want to do math for your sniper shot? If so then it means you wouldn't mind waiting days and days, sitting in your own human waste for that one shot too.
I mean if were going there, then we have to mention cars that can hit walls at 100mph and still be drivable and rag doll physics.

Are these really cliches or just general complaining about game design or current limits of the technology?
I don't think there's an affordable CPU out there that could calculate hundreds of bullets from dozens of guns in an accurate manner.

To me more of the cliches are:
Big guys in big armor with big guns doing big things.
The Post Apocalyptic world.
dv
User avatar
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Big guys in big armor with big guns doing big things.


SPACE MARINES!!!
sturner Ancient Soldier
User avatar
Don't forget, Dying BIG.
user Stupid cockwomble
User avatar
I'm not a fan of real guts flying, either.
Dan Airman Dan
User avatar
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
I don't think there's an affordable CPU out there that could calculate hundreds of bullets from dozens of guns in an accurate manner.

Uh. It's not really a lot of math.
Dan should try STALKER.
wasteful translations.
user Stupid cockwomble
User avatar
Part of the phun.
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
User avatar
kidnapped princess
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Dan wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
I don't think there's an affordable CPU out there that could calculate hundreds of bullets from dozens of guns in an accurate manner.

Uh. It's not really a lot of math.

On top of everything else going on in the box, yes it is. Current consoles are maxed out. Project Natal is coming with it's own CPU so it won't burden the console.

Why argue this? It's gaming not a RLS (real life simulation).
because CPUs don't already do calculations for hundreds of bullets from dozens of guns in an accurate manner? Somehow changing the physics to be more realistic instead of more arcadish would make a difference to the CPU? Hell, UT99 had some weapons that were effected by gravity and ricochets iirc! Hello and welcome to the... 90's?!
Find the key, find the exit door, next level.
Dan Airman Dan
User avatar
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Dan wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
I don't think there's an affordable CPU out there that could calculate hundreds of bullets from dozens of guns in an accurate manner.

Uh. It's not really a lot of math.

On top of everything else going on in the box, yes it is. Current consoles are maxed out. Project Natal is coming with it's own CPU so it won't burden the console.

Why argue this? It's gaming not a RLS (real life simulation).

Dude, I think your brain is farting out when you think "bullets go really fast there's no way I could figure it out!"

Calculating proper bullet dynamics would take 100 times less CPU power than ragdoll corpse calculations that happen already. If you know an object is moving horizontally at 2300FPS and falling at -9.81m/s^2, calculating its trajectory is high school-level physics. Bad Company already does the proper bullet speed, but not bullet drop. And there was a level in CoD4 where you had to take windage and Coriolis effect into account to make the shot.
Dan wrote:
And there was a level in CoD4 where you had to take windage and Coriolis effect into account to make the shot.

You're stick fiddling serious.

oh em gee. I have to definitely go pick this up now.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
User avatar
Phydeaux wrote:
Dan wrote:
And there was a level in CoD4 where you had to take windage and Coriolis effect into account to make the shot.

You're stick fiddling serious.

oh em gee. I have to definitely go pick this up now.


That entire level is my all-time favourite level in any game.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Phydeaux wrote:
Dan wrote:
And there was a level in CoD4 where you had to take windage and Coriolis effect into account to make the shot.

You're stick fiddling serious.

oh em gee. I have to definitely go pick this up now.

:lol: OMFG!

Well ya'll report back after getting a head shot or something other than blowing the guy's arm off in that event.
dv wrote:
Health bars.

Ghost Recon got it right. You get shot in the limb, your limb stops working. You get shot anywhere else, you're dead. No recharging, no body armor pickups, etc. The same principle could just as easily be applied to armored vehicles or cyborgs - take more than 2 hits here, 3 hits there, or 1 hit there, and it explodes. 2 hits on this part and you can only turn left or go backwards, etc., etc.


You should check out ArmA II.
aubrey wrote:
dv wrote:
Health bars.

Ghost Recon got it right. You get shot in the limb, your limb stops working. You get shot anywhere else, you're dead. No recharging, no body armor pickups, etc. The same principle could just as easily be applied to armored vehicles or cyborgs - take more than 2 hits here, 3 hits there, or 1 hit there, and it explodes. 2 hits on this part and you can only turn left or go backwards, etc., etc.


You should check out ArmA II.


I am actually considering building a gaming PC for this title!
sturner Ancient Soldier
User avatar
Red Orchestra and Darkest Hour do a fair job of this. Though when you understand that most rifle and mg engagment is at a range of 300 meters or less (urban or terrain restriction) then you understand why it's not as important in most games. But you really get a good feeling when you lead your target and drop him. Repeatedly.

I love bolt rifles.

And the M1.
Warin wrote:
aubrey wrote:
dv wrote:
Health bars.

Ghost Recon got it right. You get shot in the limb, your limb stops working. You get shot anywhere else, you're dead. No recharging, no body armor pickups, etc. The same principle could just as easily be applied to armored vehicles or cyborgs - take more than 2 hits here, 3 hits there, or 1 hit there, and it explodes. 2 hits on this part and you can only turn left or go backwards, etc., etc.


You should check out ArmA II.


I am actually considering building a gaming PC for this title!


It's really intense; the "reality" of it all makes it much scarier than most horror games. Though you do spend a fair amount of time in ditches, dying, hoping to get picked up or something (just like real battle!)
aubrey wrote:
Warin wrote:
aubrey wrote:
dv wrote:
Health bars.

Ghost Recon got it right. You get shot in the limb, your limb stops working. You get shot anywhere else, you're dead. No recharging, no body armor pickups, etc. The same principle could just as easily be applied to armored vehicles or cyborgs - take more than 2 hits here, 3 hits there, or 1 hit there, and it explodes. 2 hits on this part and you can only turn left or go backwards, etc., etc.


You should check out ArmA II.


I am actually considering building a gaming PC for this title!


It's really intense; the "reality" of it all makes it much scarier than most horror games. Though you do spend a fair amount of time in ditches, dying, hoping to get picked up or something (just like real battle!)


I played a LOT of Operation Flashpoint, and ARMAII is the spiritual successor to that title. BIS makes an excellent game. I doubt my CoreDuo X1600 MBP has the jam to play it though :(
Minimum specs (from wiki):
Windows XP or Windows Vista
CPU: Dual Core (Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, Intel Core 2.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Hard Drive Space: 10 GB
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 7800, ATI Radeon 1800 or faster (with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB VRAM)
Network Internet or LAN connection required for multiplayer
dv
User avatar
Not bad requirements at all. You could piece together a system that exceeded those specs comfortably for under $350. (OS not included.)
Goddamned puzzles.
Seesaw physics puzzles
cache of health/ammo before any major encounter
T.Goat wrote:
cache of health/ammo before any major encounter


Oh yeah, that's a big one.
user Stupid cockwomble
User avatar
I like the tip off.
sturner Ancient Soldier
User avatar
L4D doesn't always do that. Sometimes, most times, you get plastered to a wall by a horde with little health left. Then get roped by a Smoker, or pounced upon by a hunter.
user Stupid cockwomble
User avatar
I wish my cider copy of L4D would run.
sturner Ancient Soldier
User avatar
Bummer man. If you ever get it going, look for me. jones0430. I'll watch your back.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
User avatar
Just for the heck of it, I created a Macstack group.

One of these days I might want to get involved in a group game of L4d.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic
Post Reply

Gaming Clichés