No respect

Online now: avkills, Bing (sucks), DEyncourt, DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], ukimalefu
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
How come social networking sites and the like always ask for favorite movies, tv shows, books, music, etc. but I've never seen one with a section for favorite video games. I want to list my favorite games!

Do you think gaming gets the respect it deserves? Is it just not mainstream enough yet? This is more of a mild rant than a question really, but anyway...
dv
Video games are for losers...

...but spending several hours a day on Facebook is both healthy and normal.
sturner Ancient Soldier
Most people on social networking sites are not typical gamers. And the makes of those sites aren't gameres, either.
I bet there are just about as many people on Facebook who play video games as there are people who could come up with a favorite book list.
sturner Ancient Soldier
Yeah, but the marketing types who run the design philosophy don't think so. That's where the disconnect is. Send them a suggestion.
sturner Ancient Soldier
I get no respect for my games either. :(

but I do get an immense amount of satisfaction knowing how good my skills are at them.

I'm good with at targeting and team-work as well.

For recognition, I frequent the sites that cater to those games.

:)
sturner wrote:
Yeah, but the marketing types who run the design philosophy don't think so. That's where the disconnect is. Send them a suggestion.

At what point do you believe such thinking will change? When will video games be as common as movies, tv, and books? Certainly, it's what companies like Nintendo are aiming for. Will games on mobile phones make a difference? Or are those seen as separate somehow? How about the games on a site like Facebook? Same thing, or different?
sturner Ancient Soldier
There has to be demand on the social networking sites. That's when they will change.
You just aren't solicited by the right kind of friends. I get tons of video game crap in my invitations box on Facebook daily. Be thankful.

But no, expect that sort of presence to increase since Microsoft is teaming up with Facebook to integrate it into the 360.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
Facebook has XBL integration. I linked my profile to my gamertag. Teh status changes as I change games, it's kinda neat. I also belong to the OXM group. Maybe ya should've picked a better console. oh human waste! Did I just say that out loud. ;)
I'm not talking about invitations or the like- I have plenty of places to go online for gaming related stuff. What I wonder about is when will the question, "What are your favorite video games?" become as common as, "What's your favorite TV show?" be it asked on Facebook, a dating profile, or at a stupid work team bonding event.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Malkin wrote:
I'm not talking about invitations or the like- I have plenty of places to go online for gaming related stuff. What I wonder about is when will the question, "What are your favorite video games?" become as common as, "What's your favorite TV show?" be it asked on Facebook, a dating profile, or at a stupid work team bonding event.

10 or 15 years prob.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

No respect