Ubisoft to open design studio in Toronto

Online now: avkills, DEyncourt, Google [Bot], ukimalefu
Thanks to big-ass investment by provincial government

Quote:
Ubisoft will itself invest more than $500 million in the new studio, set to begin operations before the end of the year.

Ontario has been trying to attract tech-based, creative industries as part of its plan to offset the loss of jobs in the manufacturing sector.

In May, pop superstar Elton John jointed McGuinty to announce a $23-million investment by the province in Toronto's Starz Animation Studio, which specializes in high-end computer-animated films.

I happen to know that the government is hoping to convince all the big game producers and film studios to set up shop here. They hold it as a near-religious doctrine that the "creative economy" will replace manufacturing.

I guess we'll see, eh?
chikie The same deviled egg
I hope they hire my ex-girlfriend, so that she has to be surrounded by the French and create wasteful shovelware for the rest of eternity.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Phydeaux wrote:
I hope they hire my ex-girlfriend, so that she has to be surrounded by the French and create wasteful shovelware for the rest of eternity.

No hard feelings there, huh?
Yeah, goddamn the French.
There's a really interesting take on this on the Untold Entertainment blog... (They're a small indie game studio in Toronto)

http://www.untoldentertainment.com/blog ... i-no-more/
aubrey wrote:
There's a really interesting take on this on the Untold Entertainment blog... (They're a small indie game studio in Toronto)

http://www.untoldentertainment.com/blog ... i-no-more/

Interesting. Government support of business is pretty common in Canada, but rarely for smaller firms. It's quite annoying.

And I liked his talk of people studying game design at local colleges. There are tons of programs like that!
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Ubisoft to open design studio in Toronto