The great gaming console heist of '09

Online now: Google [Bot]
Truck loaded with 1,300 360s stolen in Toronto

Quote:
Police say four to five suspects dressed in dark clothing entered a trailer yard near Britannia Rd. E and Dixie Rd shortly after 4 a.m. They attacked a security guard who was subsequently dragged under a parked trailer with his hands and feet tied together.

The suspects stole a 16-metre 2007 Air-Ride trailer, bearing the Ontario licence plate C11-47X and trailer identification number 55334. The trailer is black in colour, with "Trans-Send Freight Systems" in silver lettering.

Quote:
Investigators are warning the public to use caution if they are offered the chance to purchase a new Xbox gaming console under suspicious circumstances.

Oh, I'll be using caution all right! If I find those guys I'll be bargaining them down to fifty bucks.
p0wn3d!!!!1!!one!!
"Oh, what lot number was that that was stolen? Yup, we sure as hell can ban all those serial numbers from LIVE, you betcha."
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
Looks like Shnicky is looking for a White Van sale in some parking lot around town.

Ya know M$ could play this one of two ways. The first as Phy mentioned is to brick them or as most know the real money is in the software sales. They could just let'em slide knowing insurance will cover the loss. A bunch of cheap boxes could help boost game sales. Wishful thinking, I'm with Phy, those S/Ns are on a watch list. I don't think they'll ban them right away. Letting the machine work for a bit could help police locate the thieves.

I've never gamed that far up north, nor have seen a different region 'box. Does Canada have it's own gaming region or is it part of USA/North America region? Basically is it locked to Canadian games?
Honestly, through sales of DLC and guaranteed income of Gold through LIVE, it would be smart to not ban the lot. They could play it both ways, though, get recooped through insurance, and just ban the machines from playing with Gold LIVE capability. People buy games for the stolen boxes, get the flavor of owning the console, and then a couple of months down the road, MS won't let them apply a Gold card to accounts on the machine, and they'll realize they'll have to own up and buy a legit 360.

Yes, no?
Well that's assuming every machine goes to a new buyer. Unfortunately the article doesn't break the 1300 down into SKUs. A number of buyers could be folks looking to upgrade cheap or get a second box. What's M$ going to do for those you try and move an existing account over? Like when I bought Jr his own and move his account off mine on to his.
crumble Bow ties are Cool
Phydeaux wrote:
"Oh, what lot number was that that was stolen? Yup, we sure as hell can ban all those serial numbers from LIVE, you betcha."

That's just what I was thinking, except that I also envisioned them checking out what IP the stolen numbers were connecting from.
I think bricking the machines might pose certain legal issues if the person who received it did not know, nor should not have known, that it was stolen.

For example, if who ever stole it sold it to a less that scrupulous dealer at a bargain price who sold it at the normal market price to an unsuspecting consumer.

If, however, the consumer knew or had reason to know it was stolen (i.e. buying a shrink wrapped 360 for $100), they have committed the crime of receipt of stolen property and fiddlesticks them.
I believe "not knowing" is not an excuse.
Dan Airman Dan
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Does Canada have it's own gaming region or is it part of USA/North America region? Basically is it locked to Canadian games?

Canada is part of the North American continent, yes. :facepalm:
sean Royal Wombat
ukimalefu wrote:
I believe "not knowing" is not an excuse.

Actually in the federal system (28 U.S.C. 2315) as well as in California you must act "knowingly" in order to be convicted of receipt of stolen property. Thus, you must either really know it is stolen or must have been willfully ignorant of the fact.
user Stupid cockwomble
:: buys a Mac Classic that came in an old lettuce box ::

(How's that for an off-the-wall, vague TV show reference?)
Dan wrote:
:facepalm:

What!?! I didn't know and was asking for clarification from someone who lives there.

There ARE EU 360s but they don't include Germany due to Germany's much tougher violence laws. So there's just a German 360. The same could be if Canada has some other requirements. Welcome to region based DVDs and gaming.
crumble Bow ties are Cool
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Dan wrote:

What!?! I didn't know and was asking for clarification from someone who lives there.

There ARE EU 360s but they don't include Germany due to Germany's much tougher violence laws. So there's just a German 360. The same could be if Canada has some other requirements. Welcome to region based DVDs and gaming.

I've got to say... I'd buy that argument. :shrug:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Dan wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=DVD+Region+1

Region 1 Includes: Canada, United States; U.S. territories; Bermuda

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code
Games dumbass, I know the DVD regions.

Google turns up nothing on the 360s regions. I KNOW for a fact there is a Germany only 360 due to their anti-violence laws. Unless all those Germans on the GoW forums lied.
sturner Ancient Soldier
LLEVIATHANN wrote:

Google turns up nothing on the 360s regions. I KNOW for a fact there is a Germany only 360 due to their anti-violence laws. Unless all those Germans on the GoW forums lied.

I wonder how Steam gets around that. I know that lots of Germans play Red Orchestra and Darkest Hour.

Lots of violence in those games.
Just get it out of your system, people. Tie LLEVIATHANN down and rape him. You know you want to.
What's funny is that, in video game knowledge and skill, Levi pwnz all.
Phydeaux wrote:
What's funny is that, in video game knowledge and skill, Levi pwnz all.

Thanks for the compliment but it's really only limited to the stuff I'm really into. Like Epic, some Valve stuff, and PC/360 hardware. It's frustrating that M$ has kept close the info on how the 360 is regioned. I know there's Japan, German & Brazil only 360s. North America I guess covers Canada, US and Mexico. Not sure on Central America. The EU version covers all but Germany.

Most amazing thing is they still manage to get all to play well with each other. Even tho the German version of GoW is way lame (according to them).

I'd have to guess Valve has to have something simular in order to comply with local laws. But honestly I'm not even sure if Steam is worldwide. If so I imagine it works a lot like iTunes does and those country limits.
LLEVIATHANN wrote:

1. I believe that DVD regions are the same as game regions?
2. There are restrictions as to what can be sold legally in Germany; this just means that many games don't get [legally] sold there. (Knowledge comes from a year in German class & knowing a couple people who do/have lived in Germany)
safari wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:

1. I believe that DVD regions are the same as game regions?
2. There are restrictions as to what can be sold legally in Germany; this just means that many games don't get [legally] sold there. (Knowledge comes from a year in German class & knowing a couple people who do/have lived in Germany)

1: I'm not sure which started this whole thing. Looking at the NTSC and PAL breakout I don't think it is.
2: Sort of. Germany's game rating board it strict. Unrated games are effectively banned. Also it's M$ policy not to release unrated games anywhere (screws up the parental controls).
Dead Rising & GoW in Germany
Breif discussion on NTSC & PAL, also unclear if a British game would play on a German 360
Ah-ha here it is!!
Quote:
In terms of games and movies,the world is divide into regions..
NTSC-J (japan and asia)
PAL (some european countries)
NTSC-U (the rest of the european countries)
NTSC-A (north america)
So, lets take splinter cell:double agent for an example,its region free,that means it will play on any 360 console in any part of the world.
Now,lets take the game,tenchu senran,its region locked for Japan,that means it will only play on a NTSC-J(japan and asia).Got it ? This link might help you guys to see which games work or will work on the various version of consoles.

So in addition to the 0-9 DVD regions there is also this NTSC and PAL regions.
And the guide that breaks it out by game.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The great gaming console heist of '09