Thinking about getting a 360

Online now: Google [Bot]
chikie The same deviled egg
(Crosspost)
And I'm wondering if there's any real reason why I should NOT buy the $200 Arcade version to get started. It has HDMI, and almost everything the other ones have, except for a hard drive, and a hard drive can be found for less than $100 (case in point: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6874103118 and http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 779&sr=1-2 )

Are there any other reasons why I might want to consider paying an extra $100 for the Pro, other than being able to play original Xbox games (which I don't own any of)?

And aesthetic concerns do not count.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Get the pro from dell for $220 here. Someone from work picked up a Elite for $250, but I guess those are sold out.

Might not work now, but Dell has had this sale every few weeks for like six months now…
Go find the first 3 games you'd probably be interested in buying for the system. You don't have to buy them now, but look at the back of the boxes. See if they require a hard drive.

Games like Burnout Paradise require the hard drive not for driving around by yourself, but if you want to take the game online, it requires a large gigabyte plus update that adds liveries of other people's cars that you'll run across.

Games like Halo don't require a hard drive, you can save your profile info on the 512MB of memory on the board of the newer arcade models or you can save data to a memory card, but you won't have access to downloadable content or playlists that require DLC, even free content like the Heroic or Cold Storage packs because they're too large to save on the internal memory.

I mean, it just depends on what you're planning on playing, I suppose.
http://kotaku.com/5294528/new-xbox-360- ... in-storage

Apparently some arcade units are getting more internal memory, but it's still not enough to cram a load of DLC on there. Maybe a map pack from a first person shooter.

So, if at all possible, Conner's solution.
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
Most of the games I play are from XBLA.
I'm not sure if it's true, but I heard the 360 is suckalicious when it comes to third-party hard drives; you're much better off using the built-in ones.
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
I'm not sure if it's true, but I heard the 360 is suckalicious when it comes to third-party hard drives; you're much better off using the built-in ones.

These aren't 3rd party. They're the same microsoft drives that are on the more expensive models.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

I don't know a damn thing about the 360; but as I was reading the OP, I thought, "I bet you have to buy the external HD from Microsoft, or it won't work."
Something I should have mentioned--

I'd be buying this around now, but I would not be hooking it up to the internet until August when I move to Idaho. Mainly because my TV is too far away from where I can run an ethernet cable. As far as I can tell, the Arcade is a Pro minus the hard drive, so I could hold off on paying that extra $100 (or less) until I need to.

And it appears as though dell is selling the Pro at $300.
DukeofNuke wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

I don't know a damn thing about the 360; but as I was reading the OP, I thought, "I bet you have to buy the external HD from Microsoft, or it won't work."

From what I've read, you can hook up a USB HDD to the 360, but you can't use that for stuff like DLC.
chikie wrote:
Something I should have mentioned--

I'd be buying this around now, but I would not be hooking it up to the internet until August when I move to Idaho. Mainly because my TV is too far away from where I can run an ethernet cable. As far as I can tell, the Arcade is a Pro minus the hard drive, so I could hold off on paying that extra $100 (or less) until I need to.

And it appears as though dell is selling the Pro at $300.

On the other hand, I was planning on paying it off my credit card in $50-100 installments anyhow. This probably wouldn't make too big a difference anyhow.
chikie wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

From what I've read, you can hook up a USB HDD to the 360, but you can't use that for stuff like DLC.

Correct. Only for music and movies and pictures and stuff.
But really, what games are you planning on enjoying before you get the internet kicked in?
Call of Duty: World at War, for one.
sean Royal Wombat
If you do get a HD after the fact, make sure it is an MS licensed HD. I've had issues w/ 3rd party ones.
I'm leaning towards getting the pro.
chikie wrote:
Call of Duty: World at War, for one.

Requires a hard drive or at least 256MB memory card for save data. So the 512MB on the Arcade internally would be sufficient for the base game, but there's already two map packs out and if I'm not mistaken they're about 400MB a piece.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
Another thing Pro has the Arcade does not is a head set and HD cables. Factor those costs in.

See:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm

Straight forward chart of whats got what.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Also, the Arcade is a wired controller.
Conner wrote:
Also, the Arcade is a wired controller.

That's the discontinued core.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#C ... f_features
Conner Of Gallifrey
Oooo, good to know. Yeah, don't get the arcade.
I think I'm not going to. If I'm going to upgrade it in a couple months to the specs of the Pro, and spend about the same in the end, might as well get the Pro to begin with.
Conner Of Gallifrey
You'll spend more trying to make an arcade into a pro if you wait for a 360 to appear on dell in the next week.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
chikie wrote:
I think I'm not going to. If I'm going to upgrade it in a couple months to the specs of the Pro, and spend about the same in the end, might as well get the Pro to begin with.

Yes. Good Thinking.
If anybody cares about closure, I bought a 360 pro on friday. Been having fun.
Wheeeeee!

Let us know when you do get online so that much LIVE asshattery can be made.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I like the Media Center connectivity of the Xbox. It's not as slick as iTunes and Apple TV and it doesn't have YouTube, but it does have Netflix (even though the streaming catalog sucks right now). That's got me thinking that I have a lot of redundant electronics here and I may be getting rid of my Apple TV.

I've got a bunch of games, but seriously, the only thing I ever play is FIFA 09. And stream downloaded movies.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
Phydeaux wrote:
Wheeeeee!

Let us know when you do get online so that much LIVE asshattery can be made.

Yes, yes post Gamertag ASAP.
Actually, it sounds like my I could hook it up to the internets by using internet sharing on my eee.
sturner Ancient Soldier
Since I'm not a fanboi of MS consoles either, I don't keep up on them. Let me guess, from the comments MS is selling the 360 like it does Vista? In how many different flavors?

And how crippled is the base version?
Conner Of Gallifrey
sturner wrote:
Since I'm not a fanboi of MS consoles either, I don't keep up on them. Let me guess, from the comments MS is selling the 360 like it does Vista? In how many different flavors?

And how crippled is the base version?

The PS3 and the 360 both have multiple SKUs. The "Base" model 360 isn't really crippled, it has no hard drive - something you can add later if you really want.
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
i spend much time playing peggle. and super puzzle fighter.
Oh yeah, I have Peggle on my iPod. Like it.
user Stupid cockwomble
We sell used 360s at the store. I may get one eventually. Just got an iPod Touch, though.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Thinking about getting a 360