Valve locks, loads, tells PS3 owners to "cry some more!".

Online now: DEyncourt, Google [Bot], juice, maurvir
Say, Valve, why DON'T you develop for the PS3?

Quote:
The PC and the 360 are just more straightforward. We can focus on what we want to do, which is make game experiences, instead of sweating bullets over obscure architectural decisions they make with their platform. [...] I didn't come into this business in the 90s because of some technical fetish. I came in because I wanted to give people experiences that made them have fun.

So that's like having to translate a book, right?

Morberis:
Ok take the time to write a book, it sells well. Now translate it into another language. Are you still being lazy when you don't go and translate it into a third, or forth language?

Because that's exactly what Valve has to do if they want their games to run to their standards on the PS3.

Surely it's not that simple!

Alternate:
Well, you don't translate it to a 3rd and 4th language if that means you have to take the entire book, write it backwards, create and design and manufacture a whole new machine to print it on and send it to a country that doesn't even care that its receiving a new book.

Do you realize, that in order to do all that and still ship the book at the same time as the release of all the other alternate language versions of that book would be a book publishing hell?

Oh snap!
Well.. to be fair... I got all the Harry Potter books late (in spanish) but I DID get them.

Same with many Mac games.

Then there's id software who WANT their games everywhere.

I played Half Life 1 and 2 on my Mac, sans Windows, oh yeah. Viva La Ciderization :twisted:
Conner Of Gallifrey
This same arguement is why the Mac doesn't have more games. Sucks, but it's the truth.
Conner wrote:
This same arguement is why the Mac doesn't have more games. Sucks, but it's the truth.

Just wondering... Mac OS theoretically has better graphics capabilities than Windows, right?
safari wrote:
Conner wrote:

Just wondering... Mac OS theoretically has better graphics capabilities than Windows, right?

But not for games.
Conner Of Gallifrey
safari wrote:
Conner wrote:

No... the same.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Conner wrote:
safari wrote:
Conner wrote:

No... the same.

I would say worse.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Same exact video card... hard to say one is better then the other platform independently?
OpenGL vs DirectX.

thats the reason conner.
Conner Of Gallifrey
I missread the original question, this was not a question of platform independence.
And that OSX does not allow for SLI/crossfire
And that OSX does not allow for SLI
Which is stick fiddling retarded given that I'm sure there's "real world" use for it in the realm of creative productivity.
meh, if you can max out what the top end BTO gpu in a top end mac pro you're probably not gonna be running the Mac OS anyways is my guess.
sturner Ancient Soldier
I don't like Valve and Steam because they locked out OSX.
I do think that it's a mistake to not bust butts to get Steam in some form on OS X. Our market is ripe for the taking.
http://g4tv.com/videos/39258/Sesslers-S ... titioners/

Addressing L4D2 whiners.

Which, to be fair, Valve didn't say anything while at E3 about continued support of L4D, and lots of things that are in L4D2 (new campaigns, new characters, melee weapons) were kind of promised as DLC for L4D. So we get one official free DLC pack and then no other word on future projects and then this thing gets unveiled out of nowhere. The frustration is apparent because people bought on the promise that they'd get more out of it.

I'm not going to whine because I got the $55 I paid for it out of it (no, not used, they had a $5 off thing for preorders) out of the many hours I played.

I'm just glad there was achievements otherwise it could be argued that time I spent on it with a particular someone translates to me now as "time wasted".
chikie The same deviled egg
I'm having flashbacks back to 2000 (or thereabouts) when Valve decided not to port Half Life to the Mac.
Dan Airman Dan
chikie wrote:
I'm having flashbacks back to 2000 (or thereabouts) when Valve decided not to port Half Life to the Mac.

Or rather, decided to cancel the port after it was 85% complete and MacAddict had run an article on it getting me all excited.

Assfucks.
Dan wrote:
chikie wrote:

Or rather, decided to cancel the port after it was 85% complete and MacAddict had run an article on it getting me all excited.

Assfucks.

You can play any Half Life game on your Mac now. No Bootcamp, no Windows neeeded. Valve didn't want to port it? Their loss. You know where to find it.
ukimalefu wrote:
Dan wrote:
chikie wrote:

Assfucks.

You can play any Half Life game on your Mac now. No Bootcamp, no Windows neeeded. Valve didn't want to port it? Their loss. You know where to find it.

I still can't play Half Life on my Mac.
user Stupid cockwomble
user wrote:

Oh yeah, Intel only. I have Crossover games ( a legitimate copy even) but you don't even need that. If you know where to look.
user wrote:

Yeah, and I don't have an Intel Mac :p
Phydeaux wrote:
I do think that it's a mistake to not bust butts to get Steam in some form on OS X. Our market is ripe for the taking.

They'd have to have two entirely separate marketplaces; the vast majority of Steam games are not available for Mac (I'm pretty sure). And, now, if you have a Mac and play games, you're probably using Boot Camp.
sturner Ancient Soldier
fiddlesticks Boot Camp and Windows.

Cider and Crossover 4EVA!
sturner Ancient Soldier
Crossover won't run the games that I want.
In related news, it's taken nearly two years for Valve to remember that they released TF2 for 360, too, and so TA-DA on Tuesday we get a title update.

What changed? Levels are still broken, no new ones, naturally no new character weapons or gametypes, no votekick...

If you dive deep into options you now have the ability to turn critical hits off on your server or limit the amount of people that can choose a class (so if you want, you can keep the whole team from going spy. Or engie. Or whatever stupid human waste it is that they do).

I made sure to abuse that feature first day. Dustbowl, sniper character only. Some people got really angry and vocalized about it, calling me a "hax0r" (is it my fault you updated without knowing what you were updating?) and leaving. Those that stayed had fun. We ended up with sixteen people doing game types like that, and I concocted where you could only choose to be Spy or Pyro on Gravel Pit and then later made it to where the entire team had to choose medic but one person could be a spy.

So mean.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Valve locks, loads, tells PS3 owners to "cry some more!".