What will Nintendo think of next?

Online now: Google [Bot]
Post Reply
New gadget for the Wii measures heart rate

Quote:
"There are some who believe the audience expansion movement is beginning to fade," Iwata told the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles. "We still have a long way to go in expanding the gaming population."

There are still tens of millions of potential gamers who could be convinced, according to Iwata, and he thinks that the Vitality add-on – which uses pulse measurements to determine heart rate, excitement and concentration levels – could help Nintendo find new avenues for videogames in the same way that Brain Training or Wii Fit broke into new territory.

"Traditionally videogames have been used to create excitement, but it may not be long before games help people unwind or even fall asleep," he said.


Funky.
Conner Of Gallifrey
User avatar
20090603[1].jpg 20090603[1].jpg
91.97 KiB - Viewed 320 time(s)

Yeah, if there was anything that they could've announced that could've kept the faith (unlike the reaching that was done with Animal Crossing last year), that was it. Team Ninja? And Metroid?

I'm uncomfortable with the franchise leaving Retro Studios' grasp, but since the last title I played was Metroid Prime: Hunters, maybe it's not such a bad thing.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
You should be uncomfortable with Team Ninja too. They lost their best guy a year ago. I'd be fearful 'cause this team in under new leadership and needs to reprove it's self.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Think of next!?! How about not playing at all. Wii's demo play will take over if you're in a tough spot/lvl. New Super Mario Bros. will be the first to feature this.

Wow. Just. Wow.

Quote:
Can Wii be of service?
Talk about being user-friendly. Nintendo's Wii, already the most accessible system, confirmed an unannounced new feature will be built into future titles. Beginning with New Super Mario Bros. Wii this fall, players will be able to pause during a difficult level, let the game take over to complete the level, and press a button to resume playing.

link
A 3rd party company developing for the DS might very well have had the most innovative title out of E3 this year, though:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/05/hands ... bblenauts/

Very interesting.

And yeah, Levi, I remember when Nintendo filed that patent using some sketches from a Zelda game to give the idea. It's annoying. That's not "playing a game" that's watching a movie, but Nintendo is going so far off the "casual" deep end that I wish I could take back my unheard prayer ultimatum thing when I grumbled that I wish they'd pick a side. And now they have. And took the IPs with them.

I mean, just having to contend with comments like this:

http://kotaku.com/5278060/no-online-pla ... #c13330724

Nintendo loves hearing this human waste. People are going to buy regardless of technological advances, it's nauseating because while it's printing money now, it's going to just be a few of these missteps to bury our favorite franchises permanently.
Conner Of Gallifrey
User avatar
Scribblenauts will be one of the best games. EVER.

Joystiq article phy posted:
2. Another level placed a pool of water with a shark inside between us and the Starite. While a few options may have allowed us to circumvent the shark-infested waters, we all decided to take him out. I tried dropping a sword on its head pointy-side down, but it bounced harmlessly off its thick hide. I then dropped a hair dryer into the water with more electrifying, fruitful results.

Chris attempted to drop dynamite into the water, though the splash extinguished the fuse. He then threw waterproof C Four into the water, effectively recreating the ending of Jaws. J.C. created a Kraken, which fought with and ultimately bested the shark.

Andrew created a teleporter in an attempt to instantly apparate to the Starite -- instead, it took him to a medieval world where he was besieged by shadowy assassins. He tried distracting them with candy -- really, Andrew? -- then created a fairly anachronistic nuke. The nuke didn't detonate, however, so andrew created a laser rifle to take out the assassins. One of his lasers grazed the aforementioned WMD, and blew up the entire level.


How does that NOT sound amazing?
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Think of next!?! How about not playing at all. Wii's demo play will take over if you're in a tough spot/lvl. New Super Mario Bros. will be the first to feature this.

Wow. Just. Wow.

Quote:
Can Wii be of service?
Talk about being user-friendly. Nintendo's Wii, already the most accessible system, confirmed an unannounced new feature will be built into future titles. Beginning with New Super Mario Bros. Wii this fall, players will be able to pause during a difficult level, let the game take over to complete the level, and press a button to resume playing.

link


That can't be right. What's the frigging point of even playing?
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Think of next!?! How about not playing at all. Wii's demo play will take over if you're in a tough spot/lvl. New Super Mario Bros. will be the first to feature this.

Wow. Just. Wow.

Quote:
Can Wii be of service?
Talk about being user-friendly. Nintendo's Wii, already the most accessible system, confirmed an unannounced new feature will be built into future titles. Beginning with New Super Mario Bros. Wii this fall, players will be able to pause during a difficult level, let the game take over to complete the level, and press a button to resume playing.

link


That can't be right. What's the frigging point of even playing?


We're totally serious:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=21803
Haven't clicked the links, but maybe, MAYBE, it's an on/off thing, or maybe it's available only at lower difficulties, or maybe it only shows you what to do, sort of like a built-in-walktrough, and when you unpause, YOU have to do it.
Conner Of Gallifrey
User avatar
I would have loved this as a kid for the final boss of the Underwater Labryntinth zone for the first Sonic... I could NEVER beat him.
Phydeaux wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Think of next!?! How about not playing at all. Wii's demo play will take over if you're in a tough spot/lvl. New Super Mario Bros. will be the first to feature this.

Wow. Just. Wow.

Quote:
Can Wii be of service?
Talk about being user-friendly. Nintendo's Wii, already the most accessible system, confirmed an unannounced new feature will be built into future titles. Beginning with New Super Mario Bros. Wii this fall, players will be able to pause during a difficult level, let the game take over to complete the level, and press a button to resume playing.

link


That can't be right. What's the frigging point of even playing?


We're totally serious:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=21803


Hmm ... a built-in walkthrough wouldn't be too bad, necessarily. Let's face it, we all tend to peek at the online versions when we're stuck anyway.

But an autopilot is just ridiculous. Just today I got that insanely tough daredevil comet star on the Bouldergeist level of Mario Galaxy. Definitely would've sucked the fun out of it to have had it done for me.

Then again it makes a certain amount of sense from a marketing standpoint. It means people will finish games sooner, making them buy replacements more frequently.
Dan Airman Dan
User avatar
Phydeaux wrote:
A 3rd party company developing for the DS might very well have had the most innovative title out of E3 this year, though:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/05/hands ... bblenauts/

Very interesting.

And yeah, Levi, I remember when Nintendo filed that patent using some sketches from a Zelda game to give the idea. It's annoying. That's not "playing a game" that's watching a movie, but Nintendo is going so far off the "casual" deep end that I wish I could take back my unheard prayer ultimatum thing when I grumbled that I wish they'd pick a side. And now they have. And took the IPs with them.

I mean, just having to contend with comments like this:

http://kotaku.com/5278060/no-online-pla ... #c13330724

Nintendo loves hearing this human waste. People are going to buy regardless of technological advances, it's nauseating because while it's printing money now, it's going to just be a few of these missteps to bury our favorite franchises permanently.


Hey look!
Image

Mario's graphics have finally caught up to Bonk from TurboGrafx-16! Seriously, that looks like a level right out of Bonk's Revenge.
Conner Of Gallifrey
User avatar
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Think of next!?! How about not playing at all. Wii's demo play will take over if you're in a tough spot/lvl. New Super Mario Bros. will be the first to feature this.

Wow. Just. Wow.

Quote:
Can Wii be of service?
Talk about being user-friendly. Nintendo's Wii, already the most accessible system, confirmed an unannounced new feature will be built into future titles. Beginning with New Super Mario Bros. Wii this fall, players will be able to pause during a difficult level, let the game take over to complete the level, and press a button to resume playing.

link


That can't be right. What's the frigging point of even playing?


We're totally serious:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=21803


Hmm ... a built-in walkthrough wouldn't be too bad, necessarily. Let's face it, we all tend to peek at the online versions when we're stuck anyway.

But an autopilot is just ridiculous. Just today I got that insanely tough daredevil comet star on the Bouldergeist level of Mario Galaxy. Definitely would've sucked the fun out of it to have had it done for me.

Then again it makes a certain amount of sense from a marketing standpoint. It means people will finish games sooner, making them buy replacements more frequently.


You realize it's not required right? It's the digital equivilant of having your friend come over and beating it for you.
Conner wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Think of next!?! How about not playing at all. Wii's demo play will take over if you're in a tough spot/lvl. New Super Mario Bros. will be the first to feature this.

Wow. Just. Wow.

Quote:
Can Wii be of service?
Talk about being user-friendly. Nintendo's Wii, already the most accessible system, confirmed an unannounced new feature will be built into future titles. Beginning with New Super Mario Bros. Wii this fall, players will be able to pause during a difficult level, let the game take over to complete the level, and press a button to resume playing.

link


That can't be right. What's the frigging point of even playing?


We're totally serious:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=21803


Hmm ... a built-in walkthrough wouldn't be too bad, necessarily. Let's face it, we all tend to peek at the online versions when we're stuck anyway.

But an autopilot is just ridiculous. Just today I got that insanely tough daredevil comet star on the Bouldergeist level of Mario Galaxy. Definitely would've sucked the fun out of it to have had it done for me.

Then again it makes a certain amount of sense from a marketing standpoint. It means people will finish games sooner, making them buy replacements more frequently.


You realize it's not required right? It's the digital equivilant of having your friend come over and beating it for you.


Well, duh.

Though trying to do these goddamned purple comets is making me wish my Wii had this feature.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Phydeaux wrote:
I mean, just having to contend with comments like this:

http://kotaku.com/5278060/no-online-pla ... #c13330724

I didn't read all the comments but the one below from the article made me feel bad for Wii owners
Quote:
The game won't support online play because the title uses up all of the Wii's processing power, Miyamoto said.

So a simple side scroller with graphics not much better than 10 years ago tops out the Wii's CPU. Sad, truly sad.

The Auto Play:
Yes I know it's on/off, use at will feature. But I always assumed one of gaming's greatest pleasures was the satisfaction of getting through a tough spot on your own. Now kids don't even have to try.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
User avatar
I'm looking forward to the feature, should it ever materialize. I'm all for a challenge, but there are times where challenge becomes tedium. I play games primarily because they are fun. When they stop being fun, that's when it's time to quit. I wish I had hours and hours to work through each and every difficulty, but unfortunately, my school days are well behind me and my time these days is very limited. I love that Nintendo understands that there are gamers out there like me. If you don't like such a feature, don't use it.
Yeah, I was mostly talking about this one that generated a s***storm:

Quote:
Good. Online multiplayer is not real multiplayer. I have way more fun being in the same room than in a different country with the person I am playing with.


Talk about being a Nintendo Apologist.

Look, back in the MacAddict days when everyone would hash this out in the games forum, I was a pretty big Wii supporter. When several people said that it would flop, I was right there saying that they were going to sell tens of millions of the damn things. And while they have, I was hoping in the deepest, darkest desires of my heart that they wouldn't fiddlesticks up their online implementation. That they'd blow away the competition. That corporate peer pressure would force them to the direction of "yeah, sure, graphics don't matter, but check out these connectivity options!" And now it's "WATCH THIS GUYS: IT PRINTS MONEY".
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
User avatar
Yeah, I do wish they had better multiplayer support.
Malkin wrote:
Yeah, I do wish they had better multiplayer support.

I know. And some people interpret my frustration as raggin' on their system of choice when it's far from the case. I'm annoyed right there along with them and just feel it's important to exemplify what sets the systems apart.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic
Post Reply

What will Nintendo think of next?