Wii noob questions

Online now: No visible users
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I'm still toying with the idea of getting a Wii, but i pretty much don't know about the connection stuff so i thought i'd ask here. Do you have to have an always on internet connection, or do you just need to connect to download old games? Is it the same as setting up a Game Cube or other Nintendo game? Again, i'm mostly interested in whether or not i'd need an internet connection. The reason i ask is because my old as dirt modem/router only has one ethernet connection.
I don't have a Wii, but I think I know.

You don't need internet, but for buying old games online, or playing with friends. There's also a web browser you can get for it, and other stuff to do online.

Also, I believe the Wii has Wi-Fi built in, so in theory, you should be able to connect to the internet using your iMac as wireless router (AKA Airport base station)

(in before the schnick)
juice Inadvertently correct
wii does have a wireless card built in. It is really easy to hook up, though the range isn't that great.
FutureDreamz Matthew 5:5
Banned User(s)
The only way to connect to the internet on the Wii is through the WiFi, as there is no ethernet port on the Wii. At launch, there was an option to buy a ethernet dongle that connected to the Wii by USB, but it was essentially DOA.
And no, a constant internet connection is not necessary.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:24 pm.

So, if i wanted to download old games, i'd have to have a WiFi connection, which i don't have here?
justine wrote:
So, if i wanted to download old games, i'd have to have a WiFi connection, which i don't have here?

Yes, you do. Your iMac has wi-fi, Apple calls it Airport. So you turn on Airport on the iMac, and the Wii would get on the internet trough the iMac, which is connected to the modem with an ethernet cable.

It should work. (I think)
Banned User(s)
justine wrote:

Pretty much.
However, you can connect the Wii to your computer for internet by setting up your Mac to share your connection.
Basically what happens is that your Mac is connected to the internet directly by your modem, and then it is set to act as a WiFI router to allow other computers or WiFi enabled devices to connect to the internet.

Mac Help has a fairly simple guide:

just click on the Finder, go to Help -> Mac Help, then type "sharing your internet connection".
it should be the first hit

But here's the instructions any-ways:
Quote:
Open System Preferences, click Sharing, and then click Internet.

Choose a network port from the "Share your connection from" pop-up menu.

Select "Built-in Ethernet" or AirPort depending on which computers will share your Internet connection.

If you have turned on the firewall on the Firewall pane of Sharing preferences, you also need to turn on Personal Web Sharing on the Services pane of Sharing preferences in order to share your Internet connection and allow computers connected to your Internet connection to browse the web.

Here you should hit the "Airport Options" button to set a password (hit the "enable encryption" button to make it use the password), and the name of the internet connection as seen by the Wii.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:35 pm.

Hmm, ok. I don't know anything about using Airport, so maybe this will be ok. I was just looking at Nintendos site, and while a wired connection is possible, they say most modems aren't compatible and some ISPs may be a problem, too.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
There are plenty of USB to ethernet adapters you can buy for the Wii- Nintendo made and generic. I don't know what FutureDreamz is talking about when they say the adapters were DOA.
Banned User(s)
Malkin wrote:
There are plenty of USB to ethernet adapters you can buy for the Wii- Nintendo made and generic. I don't know what FutureDreamz is talking about when they say the adapters were DOA.

I recalled that there were no places that carried the usb-ethernet adaptors, and i didn't hear anything about it, so :shrug:
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Soooooo you assumed they were dead on arrival?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Wii noob questions