Say "Goodbye!" to Consoles.

Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot]
SpacemanSpiff Resident Gimp
OnLive could threaten Xbox, PS3, and Wii

Quote:
...aiming to launch a system--seven years in the works--that will digitally distribute first-run, AAA games from publishers like Electronic Arts, Take-Two, Ubisoft, Atari, and others, all at the same time as those titles are released into retail channels. The system is designed to allow players to stream on-demand games at the highest quality onto any Intel-based Mac or PC running XP or Vista, regardless of how powerful the computer.
The system will also stream games directly to a TV via a small plug-in device, and players can use a custom wireless controller as well as VoIP headsets in conjunction with it.

Quote:
So far, OnLive has yet to make its business model public, but what seems likely is some form of subscription service, where players will pay a monthly access fee and then pay additional costs, depending on whether they want to play games once, or buy them for permanent play.

Quote:
From the outset, OnLive isn't partnering with any of the first-party publishers--Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo, meaning that franchises like "Halo" or "Zelda" won't be available. And that makes sense, since those companies are hardly likely to want to sign up with a company whose very technology may obviate their longstanding business models.

Quote:
Clearly, OnLive has set an ambitious goal: dethroning the console makers as the game industry's kings. And as is always the case with brand-new and publicly unavailable technology, it is far too early to know whether the company or the service can live up to that goal. But if its demo is any indication, OnLive is definitely onto something, and given that the company has been in stealth mode for so many years, it's possible that the console makers will be caught off guard.

But I'd still need me Nintendo for Mario and Zelda!
FutureDreamz Matthew 5:5
Banned User(s)
I don't think Nintendo will ever go away.
I'll quote the penny arcade boys about this:

Quote:
This is precisely why I am careful about things of this stripe: it is the will of my heart to believe it. I believe Matthew 24, verses 23 through 26 might be appropriate here. Due diligence.

If a man claims to be Jesus Christ, you can bet I'll check the wrists.

I love Jerry Holkins so very much.
Uh... yeah...

Find my posts here:

http://www.maclife.com/forums/topic/110545

There's a one hour video that explains a lot about it.
Marc wrote:

Quote:
This is precisely why I am careful about things of this stripe: it is the will of my heart to believe it. I believe Matthew 24, verses 23 through 26 might be appropriate here. Due diligence.

fiddlesticks it, I'm excited anyway.
Don't be. It's blatherskite. The type of compression and latency they're talking about isn't viable over anything short of fiber optic connections.

It's the Phantom all over again. And I believe that this company is made up of the same guys that brought us xBand in the 90s, a dismal failure of the same flavor.

I'm kind of shocked that the game media is giving it any attention at all.
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Marc wrote:

Quote:

Phydeaux wrote:
Don't be. It's blatherskite.

Look I'm seriously trying to help you here. Listen to Phy if you wont listen to me when I say you dont know fuckall about consoles or gaming in general. You can't be taken in by this kind of insanity.

God you're like stick fiddling worse than the guy still arguing the Jaguar was the first 64bit game console.
Dan Airman Dan
A Jaguar is a car... ;)
Marc wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Marc wrote:

Quote:

Phydeaux wrote:
Don't be. It's blatherskite.

Look I'm seriously trying to help you here. Listen to Phy if you wont listen to me when I say you dont know fuckall about consoles or gaming in general. You can't be taken in by this kind of insanity.

God you're like stick fiddling worse than the guy still arguing the Jaguar was the first 64bit game console.

Wow, you must be hella insecure to need to lord it over people on such an insignificant subject (and even when they're just farting around).

Truth be told I don't actually give a human waste about this subject. It would be cool if it actually happened, but I'm not actually excited. Yeesh.
Nope, you're just so goddamn uninformed it's painful. You are the futuredreamz of gaming threads.
dv
And I thought people complaining about lag was bad now...
Marc wrote:
Nope, you're just so goddamn uninformed it's painful. You are the futuredreamz of gaming threads.

By the way, I loved your OMG reference to the Jaguar. It really shows where you're coming from.

Me, I never have and never will claim to be a gaming expert. I consider it a profoundly unimportant topic. They're fun, that's about it. The fact that you've invested your manhood into the industry is utterly hilarious.

Also the fact that you bear such a powerful personal dislike for someone on the Internet that you leap with a frenzy on any opportunity to trumpet your alleged gamePeen endowment ... that's the most amusing thing of all.

Good to know, though, if I ever want to irritate you ... all I need to do is make an innocuous comment about gaming.
Ummm... Sorry I don't mind calling you a stick fiddling idiot when you have no idea what you're talking about? Have a nice day
When did I ever claim to be a gaming expert?

When in the name of God would I ever want to?
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

:cry:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

I'd settle for "not a stick fiddling idiot who has his facts and general concept of how the industry works bass-akward"
Marc wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

I'd settle for "not a stick fiddling idiot who has his facts and general concept of how the industry works bass-akward"

All based on me saying I was going to get excited anyway.

You're quite a piece of work, pal!!!
Phydeaux wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

:cry:

Actually I've always enjoyed what you have to say on the subject. I don't know that I've ever seen Marc actually say anything substantive on the subject, just mew like a wounded kitten. But your posts are always interesting! I'm especially fascinated by your travails in multiplayer environments. I think I've already said it's a great story that the mainstream media should be following.
please stop

you're ALL making baby Jesus cry.
I just don't want people to get excited so that they don't get a broken heart.
ukimalefu wrote:
please stop

you're ALL making baby Jesus cry.

Man, that kid cries at the drop of a hat.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
It's fairly exciting because this is probably how it's going to be done in the future. Outside of a few areas, this product is far too early, but once the connection infrastructure is updated so that the vast majority of subscribers would be able to play this at whatever "HD" will be at that point, without being adversely affected by someone else at the home using the same connection, it will be a very attractive option.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Say "Goodbye!" to Consoles.