Celebrity Voices

Online now: Bing (sucks)
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
So this weekend I played Deadly Creatures which boasts Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hopper as the main voice actors. While I think that's cool and all, does it really pay to have A-list celebrities voice games? I mean, I understand if a game is based off a movie or something that it's nice to keep the original actors, but otherwise it seems to me that there are plenty of quality voice actors out there who could presumably be gotten for much cheaper. Are celebrity voices that big of a selling point? I'm just curious to know what others think about this.

(Very fun game, by the way.)
Same goes for animated film.

They draw the punters, that's what matters.

.tsooJ
I prefer B-list/C-list actors and actresses in my games so that I can go "heh, that's so-and-so from that other thing". If an A-list puts their heart into it, sure.

As an aside, Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk and Adam Baldwin all have roles in Halo 3. Fillion's character name is even Sergeant Reynolds. And he even recounts something that sounds very much like the Battle of Serenity if you rescue him from a Brute that's got him in a deathgrip. Oh, and Tudyk plays a tank commander ("TANK BEATS GHOST! TANK BEATS HUNTER!"). And Adam Baldwin... well, he follows you around and during the first Scarab battle he yells "WHERE'S VERA?!". Baldwin also has a role in Half-Life 2: Episode 2 as a freedom fighter that's under siege with you, fending yourselves off from antlions.

Steven J. Blum also has a role in Halo 3; popularly known as Spike. Shame, though, that instead of channeling something from that series that he does the voice of the Brutes.
The Voice of Bob: Doug Zartman 4EVA

"They're everywhere!"

"Thank God it's You!"

"Frog Blast the Vent Core!"

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaah!"
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Alien wrote:

Does it really though? Films are advertised in a way where I can see a casual viewer being swayed. If you're looking for a movie to go to on a Saturday night and see, "Oh, so-and-so is in that one. He's funny! Might as well see that!" But a game? Maybe I'm just not around game advertising enough...
Malkin wrote:
Alien wrote:

Does it really though? Films are advertised in a way where I can see a casual viewer being swayed. If you're looking for a movie to go to on a Saturday night and see, "Oh, so-and-so is in that one. He's funny! Might as well see that!" But a game? Maybe I'm just not around game advertising enough...

If it is a game from a movie, I think it's cool the actors do the voices for the game. But if they use a "celebrity voice" just to sell the game, it's probably a bad game.
user Stupid cockwomble
ukimalefu wrote:
The Voice of Bob: Doug Zartman 4EVA

"They're everywhere!"

"Thank God it's You!"

"Frog Blast the Vent Core!"

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

They even reversed it now and made a movie about one of his voice-overs :"I LOVE YOU MAN!"
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Celebrity Voices